Will to pleasure31%31% - 11
Will to Meaning34%34% - 12
Total: 35
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

jay_courage wrote:

I have a question
I answered pleasure but when I read the op it became clear that the definition did not apply. I get my pleasure from making others happy, sex and stuff plays a small part in my life but not enough to influence what I do. What am I if I don't fall into any of these?
Normal.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ticia
+73|5333

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Some of us don't need a meaning. We're called atheists
Giving in to the religious folks?
What do you mean?
Theists are the ones saying that a godless life cannot have meaning of a valid purpose. You are agreeing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

Giving in to the religious folks?
What do you mean?
Theists are the ones saying that a godless life cannot have meaning of a valid purpose. You are agreeing.
Not at all. I was just saying it's not something that I dwell on or feel is worthy of much thought. Why I am here doesn't matter to me, only that I am.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Ticia wrote:

Theists are the ones saying that a godless life cannot have meaning of a valid purpose.
"valid purpose"? wazzat?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Ticia
+73|5333

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

What do you mean?
Not at all. I was just saying it's not something that I dwell on or feel is worthy of much thought. Why I am here doesn't matter to me, only that I am.
Then your life does have a meaning. But in your case is not "why", it is "because".
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

Then your life does have a meaning. But in your case is not "why", it is "because".
What meaning is that? My answer to the question "Why am I here?" is 'Why does it matter why I am here?'.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ticia
+73|5333

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

What meaning is that? My answer to the question "Why am I here?" is 'Why does it matter why I am here?'.
When you say it like that i assume you see life as your own responsibility,you don't look for a meaning for it outside of yourself unlike the religious. But no one truly believes there's no purpose in living. The ones who do give up fast.
I think it's important for atheists to show that Gods are irrelevant in our lives and therefore we lead more fulfilling lives because we're not dependent on an afterlife. We know we only have this one so we value it more.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5748|شمال

Superior Mind wrote:

Meaning.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

When you say it like that i assume you see life as your own responsibility,you don't look for a meaning for it outside of yourself unlike the religious. But no one truly believes there's no purpose in living. The ones who do give up fast.
I think it's important for atheists to show that Gods are irrelevant in our lives and therefore we lead more fulfilling lives because we're not dependent on an afterlife. We know we only have this one so we value it more.
I see your point now and yes, I do value my own life greatly because it's the only one that I have. I'm not willing to place myself in bonds of servitude in this life because I know there is no 'next life' where it will earn me a better place.
-Frederick Bastiat
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Pleasure; probably because I'm a young up-start. But honestly I don't see it changing either. I'm not naive and think that I can change the world, and I don't really need any meaning for my life, I'm just passing through. I could care less about being in a position of power. So pleasure it is. I'm comfortable with having a job that will net me enough money to raise a family and let the good times roll. My job will have meaning to it, will be helping people, and could also lead to a position of power, but that's not why I'm doing it.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6467

LostFate wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

LostFate wrote:

I don't think anyone truly thinks we are here just to ' Fuck ' in the back of everyones mind there always thinking about the meaning
Some of us don't need a meaning. We're called atheists
Yep i love you guys!      An THEN THERE was this big bang out of nothing that made the universe!!!
Ahh, yes. "Out of nothing".

Not quite.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Commie Killer
+192|6385
Close vote, interesting. I'm subscriber to the power school of though, but I thought meaning would get a lot more votes.
Brasso
+1,549|6629

in the end, meaning drives the other two
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard