FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
What is it exactly people don't like about the games?

Leave the flames at the door, and be precise.

MOD EDIT: added title descriptor; closed; reason: death by troll -un13
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690

FatherTed wrote:

The user base? idk tbh

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-02-14 07:02:04)

Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5506|America
I like realism. This game is nott. The weapons are poorly designed, not just looks but function. The campaign is fun with friends, I guess, but the multiplayer and the maps are such a poor excuse for fun I don't see how anyone could enjoy it. There is no balance.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6339|Atlanta, Georgia
People hate the genre and how it doesnt compare the games they prefer. It's the basis of hate on every game. If X doesnt have Y then Z is way better than X.

Idk how you can't like halo. It's got almost everything.
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5981|Perth, Australia
I think a lot of it is the player base and the fact that the game was several steps backwards in terms of where fps' were headed at the time.

Consider that Deus Ex came out the year before Halo and how involved that game was compared to how simplified Halo is. Personally i quite enjoyed the simplified gameplay as it was a very fun gaming experience. Unfortunately there really wasn't much they could do with it so Halo 2 & 3 felt very samey and i didn't like either.

A large portion of the player base (read: console tards) thought that Halo was the rebirth of the fps genre and the greatest thing ever. In some sense it was thniese rebirth of the fps genre as many compa realised they could make very simple and poor games based off the Halo design and so the genre suffered as a whole.

Also i think Halo was one of the early games where the console vs PC argument flared up, though i might be wrong on that. I just don't remember hearing consoles be compared to pc's before it.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6339|Atlanta, Georgia

Blade4509 wrote:

I like realism. This game is nott. The weapons are poorly designed, not just looks but function. The campaign is fun with friends, I guess, but the multiplayer and the maps are such a poor excuse for fun I don't see how anyone could enjoy it. There is no balance.
I don't wanna argue but how arent the maps fun? Why isn't it balanced? Halo 3 was the most played game of 2007, 2008, and probably 2009.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
My personal likes and dislikes;

Weapons are balanced
Storylines are solid
Simple to use

Dislikes:
MP base
On full auto, stuff is still to accurate.

Personal comments, i think people hate on it A)It's on a console, B)it's sold a lot, C)casual vs serious gaming.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6437|Brisbane, Australia

The fact that it was an FPS game that was not all that different from current PC FPS titles, yet it was treated as a massive gaming achievement/breakthrough by xbros. It was also the first game I played that had regenerating health (I dont know if other major multiplayer titles had this yet), which personally I dislike.

Overall I think the main hate for it is that it is way way overrated and just because it "ticks all the buttons" and "is the most played game" doesnt mean it is better than other games. Case in point MW2 - one of the more horrible online experiences of last year, but is making millions and millions. Coincidentally, I just read an article today about how Activision has made $100 million on map pack DLC for W@W which is ridiculous.

Also, it kind of kickstarted the whole online console multiplayer, matchmaking, paid XBL etc BS that PC gamers just see as ignorance about what came before it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
Ignoring the controls because dual-analog shooters are like performing surgery with boxing gloves on.

It's a very simplistic game with fucked up skill curve in regards to the weapons. That is to say that a remotely good person absolutely dominates people not terribly worse than them if they can get their hands on the good weapons. Sniper rifle (double-zoom, semi-auto [which also implies not having to re-scope between shots], 2 hit kill sniper rifle with no sway or bullet drop...k) dominates long range, shotgun and sword close, along with other shit like the rocket launcher makes the game a LOT more about who has what gun and not who is better. The generic assault rifles that are prevalent in most good FPS games are good because it balances the game out - an AR should be a solid bread and butter weapon, and it just doesn't make too much of an appearance in Halo. The battle rifle is close, but I mean retard with a rocket launcher still has a fucking good chance against a decent guy with a battle rifle. The specialty weapons should still take skill to use in their defined area, instead Halo took the 50% rock-paper-scissors 50% skill and turned it 80/20.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone
Shields:
Shooting someone like a thousand times and them then running around a corner for 3 seconds and coming back with full health is just gay. I realise that sounds just like medics in BF2. But unlike Halo you can actually kill people in 1,2 or 3 shots with any gun.

Lag:
I've played my far share of FPS online and halo (or xbox live) has by far the worst lag around, and there is no real way to control who or where you are playing.

Weapons:
As Flaming said, the weapons are just unbalanced.

Controls:
They just suck... Not really halo specific but joysticks are horrible to use. Also the fact 1 button reloads, changes weapons, enter and exits vehicles and boards people is ridiculous, and the amount of times its gets it wrong and consistently gets you killed is unacceptable.

It's fun to play with a bunch of friends while drunk where you can abuse people over the mic. The campaign can also be fun (though relatively easy) playing co-op, but as for playing alone... don't bother.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6283|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
I'm a PC gamer...

I don't want to pay the price for a "new" game that is just a 1-2 year old consolegame half-assedly ported to PC with no players online...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6471|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Because alot of people like me don't like futuristic shit.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Superior Mind wrote:

The user base
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black
They release the same goddamn game every year with no new content, no new graphics, the same bullshit storyline, and make a fortune off it.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
I loved Halo, the new Halo sucks though. And that's my input for today.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6437|Brisbane, Australia

Finray wrote:

They release the same goddamn game every year with no new content, no new graphics, the same bullshit storyline, and make a fortune off it.
You talking about CoD or Halo :p
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
I like Halo, not the best series but I enjoy them.

Campaign: It's alright on its own but I have had plenty of fun on legendary with friends. Ex: During the second mission we just decided to kill all of the marines, this resulted in Johnson killing us over and over with his freaking ass laugh. There was also a part where 3 marines were meleeing a grunt but it never killed it.

Multiplayer: I only played a couple hours of ranked and enjoyed it, but I found playing multiplayer with friends more fun. Mainly played in Forge mode and some of the other gametypes like Zombies or whatever.

Weapons: Like others said they are unbalanced, but I like them all the same.

Gravlifts are

I think the music is pretty good also.

One thing I don't get about Halo is why they have interstellar warships and control hundreds of planets but have no hover vehicles...
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6739|FUCK UBISOFT

run towards enemy spraying

empty gun

jump around

empty grenades

bash

win or lose
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

FatherTed wrote:

Halo has a string of hate preceding its Xbox release. Picture a scenario where Battlefield 2 switched from a PC release to Xbox exclusive because Microsoft bought the project and wanted a flagship for their new console. Yeah. See, Halo was originally going to be a FAR more complete PC release. Instead, what we got was a somewhat decent game that begins to show signs of a rushed release towards the end. I mean seriously, several doughnut layers of cloned ring rooms with the same bad guys over and over again?

In addition to this level of resentment, the community was rude, immature and fawned relentlessly over what for many were their first foray into the first person shooter. It was a good game, but, like CoD6, not nearly good or finished enough to rate "BEST GAME EVER, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GTFO."

Since then, the Halo games were fun to play, but not mind-blowingly groundbreaking like the hype and fan support would have you believe.

edit: me, as a Ringworld fan, don't seeing Larry Niven in the credits. If http://www.larryniven.org/ringworld_movie_news.shtml becomes a reality, we're going to be seeing a rash of Halo fans screaming 'ripoff.'

/resentment

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-02-14 14:28:49)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466
Halo is like the definition of mediocre. Everything works but nothing is stellar, nothing nearly stellar. You have annoying enemies, vehicles that control poorly, unbalanced weapons and a mediocre online mod.

However because it aims at a player base too dumb to realize how standard what they are playing really is, they go ape-shit over it. I don't think the Halo games are really bad, but the idea that a game that was run-of-the-mill when it was released in 2001, and hasn't had any real major improvements aside from new (poorly balanced) weapons can he heralded as something brilliant is obscene. And the fact that it is a reality is dumbfounding.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the fact that Deus Ex was realest the year before Halo was, that really sums up the anti-Halo group perfectly. Deus Ex was a game that was so thoroughly brilliant that in almost 10 years since it has been released no one, not even the game's sequel have been able to successfully recreate the experience. While Halo wasn't even groundbreaking when it came out a year later, yet people still buy that crap.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6739|FUCK UBISOFT

Halo was a turning point.

It was when gaming became popular mediocrity.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
aimless
+166|6122|Texas

NeXuS wrote:

People hate the genre and how it doesnt compare the games they prefer. It's the basis of hate on every game. If X doesnt have Y then Z is way better than X.
This. I used to play HaloPC a long time ago and it was tons of fun. Plus it had no client-side latency compensation. The higher your ping was on the server, the further back (instead of forward) you had to lead your shot. You had players who mastered their shot and would destroy you strafing from across the map.
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6234|Uk
the fact that hitting someone in the face with a gun is more effective than the bullets, the only reason weapons are balanced is because they are all fucking awful except the energy sword which is way over the top, jumping and having a perfectly still scope is just ridiculous

on the other hand the maps are quite balanced and i do find it slightly enjoyable if there is 4 of us in one house, if not i dont enjoy it
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6711|Purplicious Wisconsin
I like Halo and Reach will most likely be an improvement over the previous Halo FPS games. No gayass battle rifle(I hated that gun to no end), you can't just go Rambo like in Halo 2 & 3 because of the old health system so now you have to be cautios, the new guns look awesome, this armor ability thing sounds really great(about time they have running), and a few other things as well.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6130|Scotland!
halo brought fps gaming to the masses

so for that reason, hate.

also consoles.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard