ruisleipa
+149|6264|teh FIN-land

destruktion_6143 wrote:

There have been 2 canadian championships and a world championship held on that track. Dont tell me to stfu either, what makes you the fucking guru of luge?
I'm not at all the guru of luge, but you said no-one should be held responsible, I say they should for the reasons above.

The World Luge Federation saw the speed numbers and immediately raised concern. They publicly stated that, in their expert opinion, this was a planning mistake. And Olympic officials, those who oversee every minute detail of every Games, immediately warned organizers of the 2014 event in Sochi that speeds such as these were unacceptable.

The IOC knew the dangers, yet did nothing to correct them. The athletes discovered the dangers, as witnessed in two telltale accidents in practice. One where a Romanian athlete was knocked unconscious. Another where the defending Olympic champion, Armin Zoeggeler of Italy, uncharacteristically lost control and could have been seriously hurt. Vancouver Olympic officials saw the dangers first hand, yet did nothing.
http://www.examiner.com/x-7475-Sports-E … ilty-hands

According to this guy they should as well. The track has been made FASTER for the olympics. Putting those steel poles next to the track was just a fuck up, pure and simple. I dunno how you can't see that! The guy who designed the track has also said that the speeds were too fast for the design...so...
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6668|Canada

SplinterStrike wrote:

Makes me think actually. They have padding on the towers of chairlifts, why not on those?
Bc at 144km/h, no amount of padding will save you.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6662|Mhz

destruktion_6143 wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

Makes me think actually. They have padding on the towers of chairlifts, why not on those?
I agree padding would do fuck all, they should have been shielded off completely so he at least stayed on the track.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

So they (the British team) must just go around speaking out about all the tracks. Or the story is being misreported.
Im sorry? I dont see the quote youre referring to.

“It’s a very rare situation,” three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said.

Shortly before the accident, Hackl said he didn’t believe the Whistler track was unsafe.

“People have the opinion it is dangerous but the track crew does the best it can and they are working hard to make sure the track is in good shape and everyone is safe,” he said. “My opinion is that it’s not any more dangerous than anywhere else.”
Three time Olympian and German coach didnt think it was any more dangerous than other tracks, pretty trustworthy imo

Kumaritashvili was a relatively inexperienced luger. He had competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

It was his second crash during training for the Vancouver Games. He also failed to finish his second of his six practice runs.
Accidents happen.
I was talking about the various other reports.

Several Olympic lugers from multiple countries had been calling into question the safety of the world's fastest luge run throughout this past week.

Maybe considering broadening your selection of reading?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6668|Canada

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

I agree padding would do fuck all, they should have been shielded off completely so he at least stayed on the track.
even then, he wouldve most likely still died, even more painfully than the beam.

The sole reason this happened was lack of skill and honestly, bad luck. There is a very small margin of error on this track, and if you go into turn 11-12 wrong, you have no chance of correcting it by turn 16.
13rin
+977|6521
I've always thought the luge to be ridiculously dangerous.  Why the thing isn't plexiglas encased in those turns is beyond stupid and hopefully now they will take precautions as to ensure this type of accident doesn't occur.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6662|Mhz

destruktion_6143 wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

even then, he wouldve most likely still died, even more painfully than the beam.

The sole reason this happened was lack of skill and honestly, bad luck. There is a very small margin of error on this track, and if you go into turn 11-12 wrong, you have no chance of correcting it by turn 16.
Much higher chance of surviving grinding your face down the ice than slamming spine first into a steel beam tbh.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6668|Canada

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Much higher chance of surviving grinding your face down the ice than slamming spine first into a steel beam tbh.
those suits would not hold up to 144km/h down ice. it wouldve been an excruciating death
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5515|Ventura, California
How do they guide their luges?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6674

-Sh1fty- wrote:

with the force
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5515|Ventura, California

Gooners wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

with the force
Could you explain that a little bit better please?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

Steering is done by flexing the sled's runners with the calf of each leg or exerting opposite shoulder pressure to the seat.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6539

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Gooners wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

with the force
Could you explain that a little bit better please?
you should totally pick up luge, you could anchor Team Swiss
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5292
anyone got a link to the vid?
ruisleipa
+149|6264|teh FIN-land

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

srsly just google it man, you'll find it easily. in fact there's a link earlier in this thread.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5740

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/noda … sh-9823485
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5292
its taken down everywhere
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5292
holy shit
ruisleipa
+149|6264|teh FIN-land
yeah? I find that hard to believe. It must be somewhere...

tbh you don't really need to see it tho'.
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5292
are you blind?
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|6007|London, England

Why would you want to see it
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5292
why wouldnt you
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|6007|London, England

Because im not a sick person that likes seeing people in pain?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5292
well that makes one of us
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6774|St. Andrews / Oslo

I honestly hate the thought of having seen someone die.

I mean, relatively speaking, seeing a dead person doesn't affect me as much. But seeing the actual moment where a person dies... Mind fuck.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard