DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6158|Vancouver | Canada

Kmarion wrote:

CanadianLoser wrote:

tbh I'd rather have 14 1st places than a bunch of second and third places.  The whole point of the games is to WIN your event, not get a consolation prize.  But as Kmar pointed out, lol @ the ruskies
This is true if you won absolutely no gold. The Canadian rally cry should have been "Gold Baby!".. or some other gay punchline. Not "Own the Podium".
What about "We can't hear you over our clanging gold medals."
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Did you see the start of the closing ceremonies with the mime?

Also, I hope Ohno or whatever his name is gets disciplined for his "Canadian judges suck, they kicked me out for no reason, etc" whining.  What a sore loser.
Better kick the Russian guy out first.

Is that what he said excatly? In all honesty Hamelin's hand on the Korean was just as blatant if not more..and they didn't even look at it.. Ohno also said, that is all part of short track.

I've come to note that there are a lot of Olympic athletes that are full of themselves. Not just Americans.
Which Russian guy?

He said, paraphrasing from what I remember, that the only reason he got kicked out is because the Canadians were the referees on that event.  I never saw Hamelin's hand, but it was such a crazy crash.  Ohno hits Korean and Hamelin and Korean hits our other guy.  Such a mess.

Regardless, you don't accuse the referees of cheating or giving a home advantage.  He knocked people over, it was his fault. Pretty simple.
The Russian guy that said he should have won Mens figure skating and changed his medal from silver to platinum and back to silver on his website.

You never saw Hamelins hand because you never looked. Charles Hamelin interfered with the South Korean Si-Bak Sung and it cost him the Gold Medal. Giving an advantage isn't the same as bad as cheating, which Ohno never said. In fact he said, oh well, that is all part of the race.

Honestly I can't believe you are getting on to Ohno when Plushenko's remarks were so direct to the point of sore loser.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … html?cat=9
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

DefCon-17 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CanadianLoser wrote:

tbh I'd rather have 14 1st places than a bunch of second and third places.  The whole point of the games is to WIN your event, not get a consolation prize.  But as Kmar pointed out, lol @ the ruskies
This is true if you won absolutely no gold. The Canadian rally cry should have been "Gold Baby!".. or some other gay punchline. Not "Own the Podium".
What about "We can't hear you over our clanging gold medals."
You're Canadians, we won't hear you until you host another Olympics.

Craig Ferguson wrote:

"Canada, It's not the party, it's the apartment above the party..."

"We're [America] down here all dancing, and they're up there saying 'can't you keep the noise down.' We're like, come to the party Canada. We're like, 'Mexico wasn't invited but they're coming anyways.'"
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6158|Vancouver | Canada
That's, like, so witty.

Like, oh. My. God.

I don't think Canadians are known for being loud and obnoxious though, so I'll have to agree.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

There can be no doubt for what Canadians are known for after that closing ceremony.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

https://i50.tinypic.com/2v2cehg.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/n6q2at.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/xmrac6.jpg

Koreans own NA.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

From that angle/framerate I have no idea if he's actually hitting him or not.  But regardless, my point was the complaining about the referees.  Thats just not good sportsmanship

And I never actually saw that, probably because it was reported on NBC and not CTV   I did see one of our former figure skating champions say the Russian guy was better and the American was a disgrace to the sport or something like that thought   You really cant take figure skating seriously, the whole judging thing is corrupt.  Remember that French judge incident a few years back?

Funny thing is, the Koreans are pretty well known for being dirty speedskaters
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Winston_Churchill wrote:

From that angle/framerate I have no idea if he's actually hitting him or not.  But regardless, my point was the complaining about the referees.  Thats just not good sportsmanship

And I never actually saw that, probably because it was reported on NBC and not CTV   I did see one of our former figure skating champions say the Russian guy was better and the American was a disgrace to the sport or something like that thought   You really cant take figure skating seriously, the whole judging thing is corrupt.  Remember that French judge incident a few years back?

A disgrace? Are you sure they weren't talking about the Canadian womens hockey team celebration?
I'd love to hear his rationale for calling a near perfect performance a disgrace.

Apolo Ohno was asked what he thought about the call after the race. He didn't just bust out with they're a bunch of cheaters. He also said that those calls are all part of the race. He accepted the results, unlike the Russian. I find it really odd that you didn't hear about or mention the Plushenko drama. I can only guess this is because it wasn't directed towards a Canadian. Yet despite all the trash Plushenko was dumping, Lysacek was still man enough to give him a pass..

Excerpt (after having just shown a video of Plushenko saying that he thought he merited the gold):

Costas:  “Plushenko said:  ‘if the Olympic champion doesn’t know how to do quadruple jump, … now it’s not men’s figure skating, it’s dancing, … you can’t be considered a true men’s champion without the quad.’”

Lysacek:  “well, I think no one likes to lose, and a lot of what he’s saying is probably coming from a little bit of disappointment and anger so, taking it out of context, I don’t think, for me, I can’t be emotional or react to it …”

That is simply a superb answer.   He gets the real issue on the table (bitterness), takes the high ground, and refuses to answer the question all at the same time.  But it gets better:

Lysacek, continuing:  “the truth is that he’s been a force to be reckoned with in men’s skating for the last decade and has been a great role model for me …  [he] did something that no one thought was possible, [took time off,] came back, and got his third Olympic medal — two silvers and a gold — and that’s not something to be taken lightly.”

Wow.  Call the guy who’s attacking you a role model and then cite his accomplishments in a clear and precise way.   This guy is good.

But it doesn’t stop there, Costas continues:  “Plushenko said:  ‘ … the sport itself is regressing if the Olympic champion doesn’t do the quad, just doing nice transitions and being artistic, that’s not enough, because figure skating is a sport, not a show,’ again quoting him.”

Lysacek:  “Well I think it’s interesting that he puts so much emphasis on just one step in the program.  It is a 4 minute and 40 second skating routine so we have to put together our strongest moves — jumps, spins, and footwork — and we’re graded on everything we do in between …”

Here he’s answering the question, but using a powerful technique — framing — in how he answers.  Sure Plushenko wants to make it about one jump, but what about the other 4 minutes and 35 seconds?  It gets better:

Lysacek:  “… interesting enough, last night we tied on the component scores (the old artistic scores), and where I edged him — slightly — was on the technical scores which means my jumps were graded better than his and my spins were graded better than his.”

This guy’s on fire.  First, he reframes the problem back to whole-routine and then fires a cannon through the “dancing” argument by saying, “uh, by the way, I won on technical scores.”  And I love the passive voice :  not “my spins were better,” but “my spins were graded better.”  But it gets better still:

Lysacek:  “… to me he had a challenge, he had to skate last, he had to wait until the end of the event, he had the most pressure on him because he was leading after the short program, and I thought he looked incredible.  He went out and skated great and, for me, I congratulate him and hope that he’s 100% satisfied with that.”

Costas:  “Was he gracious to you in the immediate aftermath?”

Lysacek:  “Yes, he was very nice.  He’s a great guy.  I known him for a long time.  I’ve looked up to him for a long time.”

Lysacek:  “well, I think no one likes to lose, and a lot of what he’s saying is probably coming from a little bit of disappointment and anger so, taking it out of context, I don’t think, for me, I can’t be emotional or react to it …”

Lysacek said Friday that Plushenko had been a hero of his and that while the Russian shook his hand and congratulated him after the decision, "I was a little disappointed that my role model would take a hit at me in what is probably one of the most special moments of my life. . . . I'm sure he said stuff in the heat of the moment that I'm sure he doesn't mean. I'll try not to take it out of context and give him the benefit of the doubt."
That is grace.

It could easily be argued that the judged sports aren't as corrupt as some of the others. Most of the people that claim unfairness are either ignorant of the scoring or are bitter losers. There are controversial calls in every sport. Penalties and non calls in hockey for example. In figure skating every jump, spin, and twist is under video review.. by a multinational panel of judges. It's not just one man deciding to review one skaters hand while completely ignoring the home teams hand. In fact my beef isn't with the non call. It's with the fact it wasn't even considered/reviewed. A single judge can not make or break a figure skaters performance. Under the current system the bottom and top scores are tossed out. It would take international collaboration for the corrupt to prevail. They also have to explain every deduction in score with detail. If the program called for a triple and if after reviewing the video they note less than three revolutions then there is a reduction.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6597|Toronto-Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

QFT

i do think the Dance pair figure skating was won by the Canadians fair and square, they just outperformed the other competitors.
https://media.masslive.com/republican/photo/-706723877fe91603_large.jpg

some people just dont think figure skating should be consider for olympics but holy crap! the things they do, it just takes so much skills

Last edited by lxcpikiman (2010-03-03 11:20:52)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Kmarion wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

A disgrace? Are you sure they weren't talking about the Canadian womens hockey team celebration?
I'd love to hear his rationale for calling a near perfect performance a disgrace.
  Our classy Canadian women...  And I believe it had something to do with technical ability, I dont really take it seriously since, after all, its figure skating.

Kmarion wrote:

Apolo Ohno was asked what he thought about the call after the race. He didn't just bust out with they're a bunch of cheaters. He also said that those calls are all part of the race. He accepted the results, unlike the Russian.
I watched the interview after the race and he blamed him getting kicked out on the Canadian referees.  He said something like "yeah, I didnt really think I knocked him over but, hey, the lead referee was Canadian so..."

Kmarion wrote:

I find it really odd that you didn't hear about or mention the Plushenko drama. I can only guess this is because it wasn't directed towards a Canadian. Yet despite all the trash Plushenko was dumping, Lysacek was still man enough to give him a pass..

Excerpt (after having just shown a video of Plushenko saying that he thought he merited the gold):

Costas:  “Plushenko said:  ‘if the Olympic champion doesn’t know how to do quadruple jump, … now it’s not men’s figure skating, it’s dancing, … you can’t be considered a true men’s champion without the quad.’”

That is simply a superb answer.   He gets the real issue on the table (bitterness), takes the high ground, and refuses to answer the question all at the same time.  But it gets better:

Lysacek, continuing:  “the truth is that he’s been a force to be reckoned with in men’s skating for the last decade and has been a great role model for me …  [he] did something that no one thought was possible, [took time off,] came back, and got his third Olympic medal — two silvers and a gold — and that’s not something to be taken lightly.”

Wow.  Call the guy who’s attacking you a role model and then cite his accomplishments in a clear and precise way.   This guy is good.

But it doesn’t stop there, Costas continues:  “Plushenko said:  ‘ … the sport itself is regressing if the Olympic champion doesn’t do the quad, just doing nice transitions and being artistic, that’s not enough, because figure skating is a sport, not a show,’ again quoting him.”

Lysacek:  “Well I think it’s interesting that he puts so much emphasis on just one step in the program.  It is a 4 minute and 40 second skating routine so we have to put together our strongest moves — jumps, spins, and footwork — and we’re graded on everything we do in between …”

Here he’s answering the question, but using a powerful technique — framing — in how he answers.  Sure Plushenko wants to make it about one jump, but what about the other 4 minutes and 35 seconds?  It gets better:

Lysacek:  “… interesting enough, last night we tied on the component scores (the old artistic scores), and where I edged him — slightly — was on the technical scores which means my jumps were graded better than his and my spins were graded better than his.”

This guy’s on fire.  First, he reframes the problem back to whole-routine and then fires a cannon through the “dancing” argument by saying, “uh, by the way, I won on technical scores.”  And I love the passive voice :  not “my spins were better,” but “my spins were graded better.”  But it gets better still:

Lysacek:  “… to me he had a challenge, he had to skate last, he had to wait until the end of the event, he had the most pressure on him because he was leading after the short program, and I thought he looked incredible.  He went out and skated great and, for me, I congratulate him and hope that he’s 100% satisfied with that.”

Costas:  “Was he gracious to you in the immediate aftermath?”

Lysacek:  “Yes, he was very nice.  He’s a great guy.  I known him for a long time.  I’ve looked up to him for a long time.”

Lysacek said Friday that Plushenko had been a hero of his and that while the Russian shook his hand and congratulated him after the decision, "I was a little disappointed that my role model would take a hit at me in what is probably one of the most special moments of my life. . . . I'm sure he said stuff in the heat of the moment that I'm sure he doesn't mean. I'll try not to take it out of context and give him the benefit of the doubt."
That is grace.
That it is.  That wasnt reported here though, no Canadians involved so not a lot of news coverage.  They were busy covering all our gold medals

Kmarion wrote:

It could easily be argued that the judged sports aren't as corrupt as some of the others. Most of the people that claim unfairness are either ignorant of the scoring or are bitter losers. There are controversial calls in every sport. Penalties and non calls in hockey for example. In figure skating every jump, spin, and twist is under video review.. by a multinational panel of judges. It's not just one man deciding to review one skaters hand while completely ignoring the home teams hand. In fact my beef isn't with the non call. It's with the fact it wasn't even considered/reviewed. A single judge can not make or break a figure skaters performance. Under the current system the bottom and top scores are tossed out. It would take international collaboration for the corrupt to prevail. They also have to explain every deduction in score with detail. If the program called for a triple and if after reviewing the video they note less than three revolutions then there is a reduction.
True, but its still up to a judge.  Compare to bobsled where its just you vs the ice.  No judging involved.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I watched the Ohno post interview also.. there was certainly an insinuation. That he didn't deserve to be Dqed. He had just gotten off of the ice. I wasn't happy with his response and I believe I thought jesus, don't turn into Plushenko. Like I said though, he accepted the results. It's not like Obama went off on a "you should have won" tangent.

Yes it is judged. Judged by an international panel. Somebody has to count the spins ..lol. It's not the common misconception of just a matter of opinion though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Kmarion wrote:

I watched the Ohno post interview also.. there was certainly an insinuation. That he didn't deserve to be Dqed. He had just gotten off of the ice. I wasn't happy with his response and I believe I thought jesus, don't turn into Plushenko. Like I said though, he accepted the results. It's not like Obama went off on a "you should have won" tangent.

Yes it is judged. Judged by an international panel. Somebody has to count the spins ..lol. It's not the common misconception of just a matter of opinion though.
But it is a matter of opinion.  Their opinion was that Lysacek artistic value was worth more than Plushenko's ability.  Not that I'm saying its wrong, just that its what the judges thought.  With a different set of judges the outcome may have been different.  Thats just how their sport is.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I said it's not just opinion. Most of their deductions can be validated by observable facts. The artistic value also comes from a variety of countries, tossing out the worst and best. It is a consensus.. so to say it is more corrupt than any other sport, most of which have referees with opinions, is bogus.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

Kmarion wrote:

yeah that was fuckin stupid.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

I suppose this fits in this thread:

lol'd.
I need around tree fiddy.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality

ruisleipa wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

yeah that was fuckin stupid.
It was an hour after the game ended ffs.  What is the problem?

Also the Korean slipped (at 1:01) BEFORE Hamelin touched him (1:02-1.:03).
Hamelin put out his arm to protect himself from the Korean.

Ohno is a douche for calling into question the integrity of the judge.

EDIT DAMN embedding disabled. Sorry.

Last edited by Stubbee (2010-03-04 14:19:23)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

The Korean is securely on his skates in the SS's I posted. Hamelin is reaching forward. That is called interference. The douche judge didn't even review it.. that's the problem. What Ohono did was no worse "protecting his space". He barely touched the guy. He is entitled to disagree with the judge. He was asked a question. He didn't go on and on about it like Pleshenko did.

You're video isn't playable internationally.. but I've seen it several times @ NBC
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stubbee
+223|6745|Reality
A screenshot means nothing in this case. Yes it shows contact. It does nothing to show how or why that contact occurred. It certainly looks like he is reaching but the slo mo video shows otherwise.

How do you know what the judge reviewed? I don't see anyone standing behind him? Were you even there? Are you trying to prop up a sore loser? What does that make you I wonder.

Your second screenshot corresponds to 1:02-1:03 of the video I posted. Which is AFTER the Korean slips. The Korean didn't fall at his first slip but it threw him off to the point he lost it on his next stride which just after your screen shot. The contact shown is preventing the Korean from falling into Hamelin which he is allowed to do.

I will try to find this video posted somewhere else.

does this one play internationally?

Last edited by Stubbee (2010-03-04 18:18:08)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

That movie does show it pretty clearly actually.  The Korean clearly fell and looks like he grabbed Hamelin's skate on his way down as well.  Ohno pushes the other Canadian's hip away from him.

Kmarion wrote:

He is entitled to disagree with the judge. He was asked a question. He didn't go on and on about it like Pleshenko did.
I have no problem with him saying he didnt feel like he should have been disqualified.  What I do have a problem with is him going on from that and accusing the Canadian referee of kicking him out to support Canada.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Stubbee wrote:

A screenshot means nothing in this case. Yes it shows contact. It does nothing to show how or why that contact occurred. It certainly looks like he is reaching but the slo mo video shows otherwise.

How do you know what the judge reviewed? I don't see anyone standing behind him? Were you even there? Are you trying to prop up a sore loser? What does that make you I wonder.

Your second screenshot corresponds to 1:02-1:03 of the video I posted. Which is AFTER the Korean slips. The Korean didn't fall at his first slip but it threw him off to the point he lost it on his next stride which just after your screen shot. The contact shown is preventing the Korean from falling into Hamelin which he is allowed to do.

I will try to find this video posted somewhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5Yxz4eSGI

does this one play internationally?
That video doesn't clear anything up. It looks like he slips as soon as soon as he puts his hand on him. At the very least he made sure he went down. NBC aired the judge reviewing the video from over his shoulder. You could see what he was watching. So yea, I guess I kinda was there. He's not a sore loser.. Let me type this out for you yet another time. He accepted the results and even went on to say that it (judging) all part of the sport. Ohno could have requested a formal review.

What does that make you I wonder.
Someone with an opinion. Ultimately I don't think neither Ohno nor Hamelin should have been dq'ed. I think the evidence should be indisputable, which clearly it isn't.

There was no "push" in Ohno's case. He did have his hand on his hip to protect his space, but there was no "shove". He is not applying pressure here.. http://tinypic.com/m/9a7813/1

WC, you only care because it's made against a Canadian official. You have no problem accusing other sports of being "corrupt". Pleshenko questioned the integrity of an entire panel of judges repeatedly and went on to mock the Olympic medal system. This wasn't just coming off of the ice after a controversial call neither. He went on for days after.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stubbee
+223|6745|Reality
the video clearly shows he slipped before contact. show us at what time in the video contact occurred and we will show his FIRST slip occurred before it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

You're talking about his left foot? He was not out of control after that. Boy it sure would have been nice to see the referee look at your video. There was nothing obvious about what happened. Let me reiterate since you missed some of my post.. "Ultimately I don't think neither Ohno nor Hamelin should have been dq'ed.". Neither incident was more flagrant than the other.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
GR34
+215|6546|ALBERTA> CANADA
Closing Ceremonies were shite. I hate my country
Stubbee
+223|6745|Reality

Kmarion wrote:

You're talking about his left foot? He was not out of control after that. Boy it sure would have been nice to see the referee look at your video. There was nothing obvious about what happened. Let me reiterate since you missed some of my post.. "Ultimately I don't think neither Ohno nor Hamelin should have been dq'ed.". Neither incident was more flagrant than the other.
his right.
he catches an edge with his right leg, which throws his stride off. He leans hard left (watch his hips) into the turn to keep his balance. Hamelin's hand goes up to the armpit area. This is the contact you are talking about? If so the guy is already fighting to stay upright and  has no hope in hell of keeping the inside line. The Korean finally loses his balance as he is twisted from the earlier slip and can't keep his left straight.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin

GR34 wrote:

Closing Ceremonies were shite. I hate my country
Wanna move down south?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard