Thread needs less hostility

Good luck and have fun
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6751|Toronto | Canada

nukchebi0 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Lets play count the population:

USA has 10x the population and at least 10x the funding.  Does USA have 10x the medals?
You seriously can't believe medal count scales linearly with population and funding, can you? At any rate, let's play quantify national enthusiasm about winter olympic sports, and national "give ourselves an advantage because we fear getting embarrassed if we don't":

Canada surpasses the US on both counts, especially the latter. They aren't faced with insurmountable odds against a US juggernaut.
Of course its not linear, I was being sarcastic.  You DO have 10x the population and likely at least 10x the funding yet only 10 medals more.  Plus a significant amount of those are bronze.
We dont care about the Winter Olympics any more than the Summer Olympics, we only care more about them than because theyre in our home city.  How come USA didnt get more than 10 golds when it was in Salt Lake City?  How are we giving ourselves an advantage?  Home crowd? Give me a break...
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6168|Vancouver | Canada
Medal count means fuck all when each country has a different amount of athletes, tbh.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6671|BC, Canada

nukchebi0 wrote:

Nic wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

You seriously can't believe medal count scales linearly with population and funding.
Maybe not exactly linearly, but do you honestly think that more people plus better funding will not produce a greater quantity of good athletes?
I was just pointing out it is nearly impossible for any nation to get ten times the medals of Canada. With that said, please consider that Olympic success is the product of more than population and funding.
Yeah I know.... we are just stoked on the golds, as would any country. On a side note, everyone from Canada and every other country that I have run into in Whistler the last month has had great sportsmanship. Yeah there is shit talking, but the friendly type, and everyone gets stoked when a record gets broken no matter the country. It may not have that "the world is together."  feeling elsewhere in the country or around the world, but here, during the games, its pretty much that way. I thought I was going to hate it too.

DefCon-17 wrote:

Medal count means fuck all when each country has a different amount of athletes, tbh.
this as well.

As far as the ohno thing goes, I have no idea about the exact rules of speed skating, but they do seem to have alot of them and they seem weird. My first impression was that the Korean caused it, but the only think I know about the sport is that the goal is to cross the line first.

Last edited by Nic (2010-02-27 23:39:00)

ruisleipa
+149|6234|teh FIN-land
I love it when the British olympic committee spends 6.5 million pounds on training their atheletes, get one crappy gold medal in some retarded 'sport' and says it was 'worth it'. Waste of money. You could buy a medal for 50 bucks then use the rest of the money to maintain playing fields or something to actually help people exercise in reality.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6541|Global Command

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ATG wrote:

Apollo Ohno got robbed.
He knocked 2 skaters off their feet and was a douchebag in the interview after? Yeah, no sympathy here

Also, Canada has tied for the most gold medals EVER in a Winter Olympics and has the most (by 3) EVER by a host country

Fuck yeah Canada
What a crock of shit. The Korean guy actually grabbed the canucks skate dude. Did we see the same event?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6336|New Haven, CT

Winston_Churchill wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Lets play count the population:

USA has 10x the population and at least 10x the funding.  Does USA have 10x the medals?
You seriously can't believe medal count scales linearly with population and funding, can you? At any rate, let's play quantify national enthusiasm about winter olympic sports, and national "give ourselves an advantage because we fear getting embarrassed if we don't":

Canada surpasses the US on both counts, especially the latter. They aren't faced with insurmountable odds against a US juggernaut.
Of course its not linear, I was being sarcastic.  You DO have 10x the population and likely at least 10x the funding yet only 10 medals more.  Plus a significant amount of those are bronze.
We dont care about the Winter Olympics any more than the Summer Olympics, we only care more about them than because theyre in our home city.  How come USA didnt get more than 10 golds when it was in Salt Lake City?  How are we giving ourselves an advantage?  Home crowd? Give me a break...
Good, because I wasn't really being serious. It injects a bit of healthy rivalry to trash-talk, which is all I was intending to do.

On that note, I really think Canadians care more about winter sports, and the "guarding" of the Whistler sliding track is well-documented.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5249|Cleveland, Ohio
winter olympics are kind of a joke because well...its not really a worldwide event.  canadians get all butt hurt and have to babble aboot medal counts and shit.
11 Bravo
Banned
not only that its pretty much just rich people sports anyway.   unlike running or whatever in the summer olympics.
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5262
yeah theres like one black person in the whole thing
firebolt5
+114|6167

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

yeah theres like one black person in the whole thing
*Black guy in Canada's 4 man bobsled*
11 Bravo
Banned
black has nothing to do with it you numpty's.  do you see a mexican ski team winning anything?  panama?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6633|London, England
It's about natural habitats and funding, mainly funding. The UK doesn't have any natural ski resorts that I know of, so that's why we pour millions into keeping our athletes abroad for training, all in the name of trying to look good for the olympics, kinda stupid really.

Saying that, fuck Canada. Go USA in the ice hockey final. The whole way Canada have been in this olympics has been annoying for some reason.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-02-28 08:09:25)

11 Bravo
Banned

Mekstizzle wrote:

The whole way Canada have been in this olympics has been annoying for some reason.
aye
11 Bravo
Banned
i mean it though, mok.  it has to do with money.  you think there are not rich kids in england who have the money to go skiing somewhere?  only rich white people have nothing better to do with their lives so they have to strap on overpriced boards and pay (for some reason) to go down a mountain.  same can be said about some sports in the summer olympics also.  but, the winter olympics are pretty much exclusive to rich white people.  or rich countries. some worldwide event eh?

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-02-28 08:19:52)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6719|67.222.138.85
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/JamaicanBobsledTeam.jpg
11 Bravo
Banned
one event?  i dont need examples of tokens / media manipulation.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6693|Disaster Free Zone

11 Bravo wrote:

winter olympics are kind of a joke because well...its not really a worldwide event.  canadians get all butt hurt and have to babble aboot medal counts and shit.
Countries competing in this Olympics...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/2010_Winter_Olympics_Participants.svg/800px-2010_Winter_Olympics_Participants.svg.png

Last edited by DrunkFace (2010-02-28 08:45:56)

11 Bravo
Banned

DrunkFace wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Countries competing in this Olympics...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ts.svg.png
just sending two athletes........oh nvm.  you think you are being smart but...ya, nice picture.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-02-28 08:54:42)

11 Bravo
Banned
you seem to miss my whole point.  a lot those countries........had a few rich people that were able to convince their govt to send them and not really accomplish anything.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6509

it comes down to hockey, every four years. Go USA!
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6168|Vancouver | Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

Saying that, fuck Canada. Go USA in the ice hockey final. The whole way Canada have been in this olympics has been annoying for some reason.
The hypocrisy is killing me.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6509

DefCon-17 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

didn't London win the 2012 Games?
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6607|Toronto-Canada

11 Bravo wrote:

what are you talking aboot eh?
ruisleipa
+149|6234|teh FIN-land

burnzz wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

didn't London win the 2012 Games?
unfortunately yes

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard