Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
I don't think he knows what anything means.
GR34
+215|6547|ALBERTA> CANADA
"The Machine" is easily the best gun in the game shame you cant get a red dot for it
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6288|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Remember that FO3 had hardly any quests in it.

3 had about 30 marked quests while NV has almost 200. Of course there are going to be more quests that aren't as involved.
Exploring was still much more rewarding in FO3 regardless of quest-numbers...

And stop bringing up the number of Quests as an argument... The only thing that causes this is Obsidian splitting all related quests up into seperate sidequests where FO3 used a more gathered system where quests were longer and had more tasks x_X

I like New Vegas, and I like Fallout 3, but New Vegas is clearly Linear, where FO3 allowed you to do what you wanted, when you wanted to...
But that's the thing. With NV, most of the side areas are tied to a quest. While in FO3 they are just there to so you can explore them. NV has way more locations than FO3, and the locations have about the same variety to them. But in NV they were made relevant to quests and such, while in 3 they were just there. FO3 was just empty while NV was full of shit to do. In FO3 the reason it felt like you were exploring was because the game would was organized in such a way that you had the cluttered DC area in the bottom corner, and then everything else was just scattered about in the remaining rest of the map. The world was just empty. In NV they organized the world in a way that made sense, around a major road and the most interesting place in the world was at then end of that road.

The exploration in FO3 also not even really that good. You go to the Gary Vault only because you want to see the Gary Vault. There wasn't anything to do with most of the locations, even the Vaults and Intricate caves aside from see that they were there. Maybe scrounge for some loot, but by the time you've progressed to the point where you are going to explore like that, the most common enemy has the best weapon and the best armor, so the loot is hardly a reason to explore.

NV's exploration had a purpose driving you to do it, the quests. And the way the game was organized meant that a low leveled character was only directed toward areas that he was capable of dealing with, while directed away from the dangerous ones, until he was strong enough.
So you need a "quest completed" message for something to be good?

All the vaults and a lot of the locations you could explore in the CapWaste had their own story to them, It was much more rewarding than the NV equivelants (aside from ofc the few major ones in NV like RepConn and Helios)... Dunwich Building, The Vaults, alot of stuff around...

And when you say "you are so far you already have the best stuff" then that applies only to YOUR playthrough, you can go explore from level 1 if you want to... right out the vault...

GR34 wrote:

"The Machine" is easily the best gun in the game shame you cant get a red dot for it
>WWII M1 Garand
>Red Dot

wtfamireading

Miggle wrote:

floppy do you know what linear means?
This is the path you take EVERY TIME!
https://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7565/94647241.png
If you try another you will get your teeth kicked in unless you've somehow been grinding your way to level 30 in goodsprings...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-11-14 03:38:18)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
FloppY_
­

Miggle wrote:

https://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7565/94647241.png
If you try another you will get your teeth kicked in unless you've somehow been grinding your way to level 30 in goodsprings...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-11-14 03:37:58)

Chou
+737|6793
Grinding to 30 in Goodspring?
Hey let me know how that works out!

But yeah just stick to the roads for minimal danger, botfly here, gecko there.. easy.
I tried crossing the desert once from Goodsprings to Helios One and got raped by scorpions all over.

I'm rather letdown by the looting factor in NV, there's too little too less of anything that's rewarding.
Hell, they could've just cut that boring part out called: BoS
Did you see that place? A hospital has more dirt in the corners.. ugh.

Last edited by Chou (2010-11-14 04:41:15)

Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6470

FloppY_ wrote:

Miggle wrote:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7565/94647241.png
Like I said Floppy, that is because the game world is organized.

In FO3, they just threw everything in random places. There wasn't much thought put into the overall design of the world, and as such it becomes a cluttered mess. How terrible was the DC ruins? And outside of that, in the wasteland there was a whole lot of nothing, and that nothing didn't have any real rhyme or reason to it.

By having it organized they can direct low leveled players in exactly the direction that they need to go in to not get killed or stuck. They direct the player to appropriate locations. And while the first part of the game might be linear, once you reach the strip anything goes.
FloppY_
­

FloppY_ wrote:

Miggle wrote:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7565/94647241.png
Like I said Floppy, that is because the game world is organized.

In FO3, they just threw everything in random places. There wasn't much thought put into the overall design of the world, and as such it becomes a cluttered mess. How terrible was the DC ruins? And outside of that, in the wasteland there was a whole lot of nothing, and that nothing didn't have any real rhyme or reason to it.

By having it organized they can direct low leveled players in exactly the direction that they need to go in to not get killed or stuck. They direct the player to appropriate locations. And while the first part of the game might be linear, once you reach the strip anything goes.
In other words, holding your hand...

I preferred the style of FO3 where the world was open from the first moment you stepped out of the Vault...

You wouldn't get stuck in FO3 unless you were a moron who didn't know there is a map & objective pointer...

What they did to force you into the above path is no different from the invisible walls / unclimbable walls other games put up to keep you on the rail...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-11-14 07:22:20)

jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
Other games?

The fallout games have both invisible walls and unclimbable hills. Having them or having smaller and more frequent amounts of quests doesn't make a game linear. They're not mutually exclusive at all.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6470
Not getting stuck in FO3 had more to do with the fact that the whole world leveled up with you. By hand holding for the first part of the game (and only the first part, like I said once you reach Vegas there isn't a real path) NV was able to put in difficult areas without risking having the player get mobbed by cazadores at level ten, while still being able to have those difficult areas available to higher leveled players. In FO3, you won't see any high level enemies until you are a high level yourself, and even then they are just roaming the wasteland. In NV the enemy distribution is organized (yeah, that word again) so the desert is able to be both accessible to low-leveled characters and difficult to high level ones. In NV, you don't have Deathclaws roaming around no where like in 3, they are in specific locations and by having an organized area, the player can be steered away from them until they are strong enough to survive in those areas.
FloppY_
­

jord wrote:

Other games?

The fallout games have both invisible walls and unclimbable hills. Having them or having smaller and more frequent amounts of quests doesn't make a game linear. They're not mutually exclusive at all.
tl;dr you cannot enjoy exploring where you want, when you want in New Vegas, and the game offers little reward for doing so...

Exploring was one of the enjoyable features of FO3 which I liked, they removed it...

And like I've said countless of times, I like both games...
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6470
But floppy, they didn't remove exploring, they just made the critical path more organized and made all the random dungeons parts of quests. You are still exploring the area, just only later in the game when you are strong enough to survive encounters with tough enemies, and now the exploration is made into side quests.

My point is that most of the dungeons in FO3, even the more intricate ones are just there to be there, and the poor organization means that these dungeons (and the wasteland as a whole) needs to be leveled so that the player isn't getting his ass kicked. Exploration is still in, but it's put off to the side so that they only need to make the critical-path missions leveled, meaning that the game isn't going to be to easy for a high leveled guy (like FO3 was, very very easy for a high level character) or to hard for a low level guy.
FloppY_
­

But floppy, they didn't remove exploring, they just made the critical path more organized and made all the random dungeons parts of quests. You are still exploring the area, just only later in the game when you are strong enough to survive encounters with tough enemies, and now the exploration is made into side quests.

My point is that most of the dungeons in FO3, even the more intricate ones are just there to be there, and the poor organization means that these dungeons (and the wasteland as a whole) needs to be leveled so that the player isn't getting his ass kicked. Exploration is still in, but it's put off to the side so that they only need to make the critical-path missions leveled, meaning that the game isn't going to be to easy for a high leveled guy (like FO3 was, very very easy for a high level character) or to hard for a low level guy.
Did you have Broken Steel?

It made the game a whole lot more difficult for LVL30 players due to adding harder enemies...
Chou
+737|6793
Broken Steel & Point Lookout add-ons would seem about the only righteous shit they could pump into this game.
More super Mutants and hordes of alpha male Deathclaws pl0x
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6744|FUCK UBISOFT

floppy there are like 3 choices you can make in Fallout 3.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6470
Good Guy, Bad Guy or Neutral Guy, however Neutral Guy ended being a lamer version of Good Guy.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5967|London, England

you can only be a bad guy in New vegas
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

I still haven't gotten a thank you, by anyone, for killing Caesar and every single Legion soldier at Cottoncove.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6687|United States of America

Mutantbear wrote:

How? It's awful hard even if you steal every goddamn thing in sight. Killing ghouls and fiends nets you positive karma, and most quests reward you with positive karma as well unless your working for Caesar.
FloppY_
­

DesertFox- wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

How? It's awful hard even if you steal every goddamn thing in sight. Killing ghouls and fiends nets you positive karma, and most quests reward you with positive karma as well unless your working for Caesar.
Those quests you are talking about only reward karma instead of caps if you say "Aw it was nothing, consider it a favor"
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

DesertFox- wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

I think he's referring to the fact that you aren't really working towards a positive/negative goal (water purifier in FO3/poisoning the purifier) as much as just helping some asshole retain or get power.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5967|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

I think he's referring to the fact that you aren't really working towards a positive/negative goal (water purifier in FO3/poisoning the purifier) as much as just helping some asshole retain or get power.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Chou
+737|6793
You could also sell fingers and ears in FO3 for 10+ karma each. karma in NV is just a title.
FloppY_
­

Chou wrote:

You could also sell fingers and ears in FO3 for 10+ karma each. karma in NV is just a title.
Well the equivalent in FO:NV is ears from the legion and tags from NCR

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-11-14 13:57:54)

Chou
+737|6793

FloppY_ wrote:

Chou wrote:

Well the equivalent in FO:NV is ears from the legion and tags from NCR
The whole setup is not as good as in FO3.
I do hope Bethesda learns from NV and will produce the next Fallout within 2 years. Finished and improved + a new character creation tool + new engine.

As for Obsidian, stay the fuck away from Fallout games and JE Sawyer (project director & lead designer on FONV) should be shot in the back of his head for making this statement:

Writing absolutely does not matter to a lot of people playing games. This is something I've accepted for a long time. For a lot of RPG players, game mechanics really don't matter. They will gladly march through a game that they hate if they enjoy the writing and story.
Really, Sawyer? Go write a book on toilet paper and see how that works out for YOU.

Seriously, back the fuck off from Fallout games!
You don't have the expertise to carry AAA titles, Obsidian.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

Orly? The best writing in the world doesn't help if a game's unplayable. "Gladly march through" my hat.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard