+940|5698
religion of peace.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

muslims do it too
Don't care.

All muslims don't do it, just like all Catholics don't either. But it's stupid imo when a pope is sanctified for this. Diminishes any moral authority the church might otherwise have held. Why do you need to bring muslims into it?
what religion are you?
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
Whipping yourself for pleasure is weird, but somewhat common.

Whipping yourself to please an invisible being is just...   loony.
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

eleven bravo wrote:

what religion are you?
why do you ask?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

what religion are you?
why do you ask?
why do you answer a question with a question?
Tu Stultus Es
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

eleven bravo wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

what religion are you?
why do you ask?
i can see this ending well
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

eleven bravo wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

what religion are you?
why do you ask?
err...cos it's none of your business so I'm wondering what your point is.

why do you answer a question in response to your question with another question?

oooh isn't this fun!?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

ruisleipa wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The flagellation has nothing to do with his proposed sainthood.

It's no more odd than any other religious ritual performed by any other devout member of any other religion would seem to any other person who is not as devout or not of that religion.

Not my thing, but I really couldn't care less.
"It is clear the aspect of penitence was present in the life of John Paul II," Oder told a news conference today. "It should be seen as part of his profound relationship with the Lord."
The book in reference is "Why a Saint?" was written by Monsignor Slawomir Oder, who is the Vatican official in charge of the process that is implemented to have someone named a saint.
As I understand it it IS part of the argument for him being sanctified. No more odd than ANY other ritual? I think most people would consider self-flaggellation somewhere at the more extreme end, but whatever.

Oh, but don't forget that he also has to have 'performed a miracle' to be a saint. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
It is simply an argument for his piousness, not for his sanctification, although they are related--you can't have the latter without the former. But he was Pope, ffs. His piousness is already well established.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

FEOS wrote:

It is simply an argument for his piousness, not for his sanctification, although they are related--you can't have the latter without the former.
well in the sense that his 'piousness' is a prerequisite for sainthood then as you say they're connected. But even so, the idea that whipping yourself shows how 'pious' you are?!!! Crazy, surely.

But he was Pope, ffs. His piousness is already well established.
only in one, narrow sense, i.e. that of the Catholic church. Which doesn't necessarily mean squat if you're not an adherent of that particular branch of Christianity.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

why do you ask?

why do you answer a question in response to your question with another question?

oooh isn't this fun!?
well if you arent catholic, why the rage?  let the silly religious people do whatever it is they want to do to make themselves happy
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

why do you ask?

oooh isn't this fun!?
what a fucking idiot
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Macbeth wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

. But it's stupid imo when a pope is sanctified for this. Diminishes any moral authority the church might otherwise have held.
It used to be a common practice that many people performed. Along the way Christians gave up little bits here and there of their religion.
But this Pope instead performed, in secret not like he was proud of it, the whipping practice on himself. Mind you most people don't perform this practice because of the pain and scarring involved but this Pope was such a believer he performed it.

Now considering people often like to shoot off the insult that modern Christians or the Church is hypocritical, wouldn't a Pope that performed a religious act which many people are too afraid or too weak to perform seem seem like a non hypocritical true genuine believer?
You never responded back ruisleipa.
Ioan92
+337|5722

11 Bravo wrote:

religion is such a shit.  when i said we can never have world peace unless all religion was gone, people say i am crazy.  well we have had religion this long.....goog going yes?
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

11 Bravo wrote:

what a fucking idiot
LOL.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

Ioan92 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

religion is such a shit.  when i said we can never have world peace unless all religion was gone, people say i am crazy.  well we have had religion this long.....goog going yes?
Yeah, because it's the cause of all that hatred/violence/prejudice/intolerance...
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

eleven bravo wrote:

well if you arent catholic, why the rage?  let the silly religious people do whatever it is they want to do to make themselves happy
rage? what rage? apart from people calling me a 'fucking idiot'. lmao.

Of course to an extent people can do what they want. Honestly, if you want to whip yourself, go for it, be my guest. BUT when this is (or was)  the head of an organised religion numbering millions of followers that purports to be the sole representative of God's work on earth, and is now maybe becoming a 'saint' partly because of this and because of some other imaginary nonsense he...er...DIDN'T DO, personally I feel it completely ridiculous that this practice is a) still continuing, and b) seen as a GOOD THING, and further c) is actually considered by some people - who really must be MENTAL, that's the only word I can think of to describe it - that hurting yourself actually DEMONSTRATES piousness, saintliness, and closeness to God. And now someone who, as I've said before, if it were a member of the public who went about hitting themselves and saying it 'brought them closer to Zeus' would be sent for psychiatric evaluation. But because it's the pope it's A-OK, or positively seen as a GOOD THING. You honestly don't find it a bit OTT?? really?

Maybe it's just me then and you lot are all a bunch of gimps..?

https://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/Antwuan3000/GimpSuit.jpg
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

. But it's stupid imo when a pope is sanctified for this. Diminishes any moral authority the church might otherwise have held.
It used to be a common practice that many people performed. Along the way Christians gave up little bits here and there of their religion.
But this Pope instead performed, in secret not like he was proud of it, the whipping practice on himself. Mind you most people don't perform this practice because of the pain and scarring involved but this Pope was such a believer he performed it.

Now considering people often like to shoot off the insult that modern Christians or the Church is hypocritical, wouldn't a Pope that performed a religious act which many people are too afraid or too weak to perform seem seem like a non hypocritical true genuine believer?
You never responded back ruisleipa.
Apologies. Perhaps my other reply above might count as my response? Although I'm happy to write a specific one for you if you want.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom

ruisleipa wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

rage? what rage? apart from people calling me a 'fucking idiot'. lmao.

Of course to an extent people can do what they want. Honestly, if you want to whip yourself, go for it, be my guest. BUT when this is (or was)  the head of an organised religion numbering millions of followers that purports to be the sole representative of God's work on earth, and is now maybe becoming a 'saint' partly because of this and because of some other imaginary nonsense he...er...DIDN'T DO, personally I feel it completely ridiculous that this practice is a) still continuing, and b) seen as a GOOD THING, and further c) is actually considered by some people - who really must be MENTAL, that's the only word I can think of to describe it - that hurting yourself actually DEMONSTRATES piousness, saintliness, and closeness to God. And now someone who, as I've said before, if it were a member of the public who went about hitting themselves and saying it 'brought them closer to Zeus' would be sent for psychiatric evaluation. But because it's the pope it's A-OK, or positively seen as a GOOD THING. You honestly don't find it a bit OTT?? really?

Maybe it's just me then and you lot are all a bunch of gimps..?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm21 … mpSuit.jpg
wow, your a douche dude.  all I asked was a question.  Im surprised how a non catholic as yourself cares so much about an internal catholic issue. 

p.s. youre a gimp
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio

DesertFox- wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Yeah, because it's the cause of all that hatred/violence/prejudice/intolerance...
never said it was.  but, too many people look to it to solve their problems.  or they think their religion is the only one and other religions are the enemy.  take your pick.
ruisleipa
+149|6222|teh FIN-land

eleven bravo wrote:

wow, your a douche dude.  all I asked was a question.  Im surprised how a non catholic as yourself cares so much about an internal catholic issue. 

p.s. youre a gimp
lol, take it easy. Why call me a douche? you asked a question, I answered. What's the problem? Do you have a follow-up question? Something I wrote didn't make sense? Feel free to ask me another question if you're not satisfied.

p.s. the gimp thing was a joke. Sorry you didn't get it
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
it makes perfect sense if youre an angry catholic who doesnt think the man should canonized.

since religion and myself are incompatible, I honestly dont care who catholics hold on a pedestal
Tu Stultus Es
Benzin
+576|5998
Then why are you posting here if you don't care, eleven?

I don't see why self-flagellation is a bad thing. I don't think the flagellation is being considered as a prerequisite for his sanctification, but rather as PROOF of his piousness. Many religions and philosophies around the world practice mind over matter and/or using pain as a way to opening the mind. When your body is in pain, it can be used as a way to help you concentrate on something. It makes sense. JP used it as a way to focus on God. Big deal.

JP was a great Pope and a great human being. Saint or not, he's definitely one of the most important people in modern history without a doubt.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
I care enough to wonder why someone has such a strong opinion.  I dont care about the pope or catholics.
Tu Stultus Es
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

11 Bravo wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

never said it was.  but, too many people look to it to solve their problems.  or they think their religion is the only one and other religions are the enemy.  take your pick.
The folks described are clearly irrational. Religion isn't meant to solve your problems; that's what wishing wells are for. There's no problem with regarding your religion as the "true" or "correct", if you will, one either, but if they were truly practicing it, they'd appreciate tolerance for the beliefs of others, and any change would be the result of a lot of introspection rather than external pressure/threat. As we undoubtedly know, though, the normal religious folk you run into every day aren't the ones who make the news with what they do because they're just like you.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
You guys see self-harm and instantly jump to two conclusions: Sex fetishes and/or Emo culture. I dunno whether it's just doing it for fun in an internet lulz sort of manner or whether you actually don't realise that the world doesn't all follow the same cultural norms.

Yeah, from some perspectives it is indeed quite weird, but that's just how some people are with their devotion. I see it as weird but then I also see it as pointless or simply retarded to try and apply my cultural norms across the whole world and then use it to make sense of the world.

They see all of this as part of his sheer devotion to his cause, who cares if they Saintify him or not. Doesn't make any difference to me...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard