Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

A persons wages define their value within a society.
hahaha oh wow!
Prove that statement wrong.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky

JohnG@lt wrote:

A persons wages define their value within a society. The rarer and more useful (to society) the skill, the more money a person makes. Placing limits on their pay is placing a limit on their value. Ever wonder why Canada has such a massive shortage of doctors? Hell, your own hospitals in Toronto are sending patients to Buffalo for treatment and it's even worse in places like Alberta.
With that logic, explain this;

I'm a Civil Engineer, I have a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montana.

I work for the BLM, a state agency.  I ensure roads and bridges are safe for travel. I ensure a forest fire won't destroy the entire state.  I decide what sections get logged and what remains untouched.  etc etc etc etc etc etc. I make less than 20.00 an hour.

My friend, who has the same peice of paper from the same college gets paid 60.00 an hour to look at buildings. 

does this make me a slave?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

A persons wages define their value within a society. The rarer and more useful (to society) the skill, the more money a person makes. Placing limits on their pay is placing a limit on their value. Ever wonder why Canada has such a massive shortage of doctors? Hell, your own hospitals in Toronto are sending patients to Buffalo for treatment and it's even worse in places like Alberta.

I'm a Civil Engineer, I have a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montana.

I work for the BLM, a state agency.  I ensure roads and bridges are safe for travel. I ensure a forest fire won't destroy the entire state.  I decide what sections get logged and what remains untouched.  etc etc etc etc etc etc. I make less than 20.00 an hour.

My friend, who has the same peice of paper from the same college gets paid 60.00 an hour to look at buildings. 

You work for the government and hence you work within a pay scale. Yes.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky

JohnG@lt wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You were a slave once with a pay scale.

I'm still a slave
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

A persons wages define their value within a society.
hahaha oh wow!
Paris Hilton has what value within society?

She's getting paid plenty, as nothing but a face on a bottle of perfume.

I suppose she's getting paid that much because society places a high value upon her?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

You were a slave once with a pay scale.

I'm still a slave
And I hated every second of it. I busted my ass for the same pay as the guy next to me that hid whenever there was work to be done. I hate pay grades and seniority more than almost anything else on the planet.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

hahaha oh wow!

I suppose she's getting paid that much because society places a high value upon her?
She entertains them. Few people can grab peoples attention and hold it as well as she does. Hence she is paid well for it.
-Frederick Bastiat
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky
shitty leadership TBH
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

She entertains them. Few people can grab peoples attention and hold it as well as she does. Hence she is paid well for it.
Doesn't mean she is a value to society. A flaming pile of dog shit can grab peoples attention. And for the ones who lit it, provide entertainment.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85

AussieReaper wrote:

Doesn't mean she is a value to society. A flaming pile of dog shit can grab peoples attention. And for the ones who lit it, provide entertainment.
And those people can make money off of that, because people find value in it. However base that value may be, dollars that go to support burning dog shit are just as good as the dollars that support fine art.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Of course she provides value to people in society. If she didn't then magazines featuring stories about her wouldn't sell, she wouldn't be able to have tv shows or anything else. She's an entertainer, the same as an artist or a musician. Sure, many people dislike her, but that sells magazines and increases ad revenue too. If she was a nobody she would have no value as an entertainer. She is paid so much because very few people can pull off what she has done.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why is a baseball player paid so much? Because very few people on the planet can do what they do and people find watching them play the game entertaining. They buy tickets and jerseys and foam fingers etc. If the game was unpopular or many people could play it at their level they wouldn't get paid nearly as much. Wages are dictated by supply and demand.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

Of course she provides value to people in society. If she didn't then magazines featuring stories about her wouldn't sell, she wouldn't be able to have tv shows or anything else. She's an entertainer, the same as an artist or a musician. Sure, many people dislike her, but that sells magazines and increases ad revenue too. If she was a nobody she would have no value as an entertainer. She is paid so much because very few people can pull off what she has done.
She hasn't earned any of what she has though. It's simply been inherit. The fame came through her father, along with most of the money. It hasn't been her value to society that propelled her. Just the accident of her birth. If she had gone from obscurity to wealth I might agree with you.
Flaming_Maniac
A human life isn't intrinsically worth anything.

Every member of society, working through their animalistic survival instinct, gives value to every other life in order to have others give value to their life. It's why we have laws against violence. It's why each one of us is expected to do something if we see someone in immediate medical danger. It's why we vote for various types of welfare. Because when we pay that respect to other people, we expect the same for ourselves.

It's wrong. It's imagining value where there is none. It's a collective ego-stroke that will justify anything, no matter how morally wrong or fundamentally unsound.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why is a baseball player paid so much? Because very few people on the planet can do what they do and people find watching them play the game entertaining. They buy tickets and jerseys and foam fingers etc. If the game was unpopular or many people could play it at their level they wouldn't get paid nearly as much. Wages are dictated by supply and demand.
So why does a firefighter make 10 dollars an hour, after all he can save your life, A higher value than a steroid injected asshat that plays with a ball and a stick.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

She hasn't earned any of what she has though. It's simply been inherit. The fame came through her father, along with most of the money. It hasn't been her value to society that propelled her. Just the accident of her birth. If she had gone from obscurity to wealth I might agree with you.
Oh, so what really bothers you is that you're jealous she was born into a wealthy family. Gotcha.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

So why does a firefighter make 10 dollars an hour, after all he can save your life, A higher value than a steroid injected asshat that plays with a ball and a stick.
Because more people can perform the job of a firefighter.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 6#p2238926
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Oh, so what really bothers you is that you're jealous she was born into a wealthy family. Gotcha.
Dodge, dodge, dodge. Guess you'll leave it there. Okay.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6519|Montucky

JohnG@lt wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Doubtfull.

I can play baseball, and basketball and football and hockey.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

I'm not dodging. She got famous because she could afford a good publicist. How she got there doesn't really matter because she's been able to sustain herself there. That Johnson chick that just died last week was born with plenty of money but never achieved lasting fame or fortune because of it. Paris Hilton is talented, you're just refusing to acknowledge it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Why she is valuable is irrelevant to the fact that she is valuable.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

Doubtfull.

Can you play in MLB, the NBA or the NHL successfully? I guarantee every single person in those leagues would be a successful firefighter.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

A human life isn't intrinsically worth anything.

Every member of society, working through their animalistic survival instinct, gives value to every other life in order to have others give value to their life. It's why we have laws against violence. It's why each one of us is expected to do something if we see someone in immediate medical danger. It's why we vote for various types of welfare. Because when we pay that respect to other people, we expect the same for ourselves.

It's wrong. It's imagining value where there is none. It's a collective ego-stroke that will justify anything, no matter how morally wrong or fundamentally unsound.
Uh....  You're probably the only person I've seen argue that compassion is immoral.

The problem with your idea here is that the alternative is nihilism.  For a good example of what that entails, observe much of the strife in Africa.

Regardless of your thoughts on the intrinsic value of life, society depends upon some sense of intrinsic worth to life, because without it....   society eventually collapses.

The same goes for what Galt was saying.  You can't judge the worth of someone by their payroll.  In practical terms, what someone makes in money determines their immediate, liquid worth, but their actual value to society is dependent upon their skills and the level of need of society for their skills.
Flaming_Maniac

JohnG@lt wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Doubtfull.

Can you play in MLB, the NBA or the NHL successfully? I guarantee every single person in those leagues would be a successful firefighter.
Apparently you aren't aware of what it takes to be a firefighter.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard