Benzin
+576|6000

Zimmer wrote:

If they had added an OLED screen to the Nexus, it would be the iPhone AND Droid killer. Stupid phones still working with old screen technology.
That technology is coming, but it's still expensive. How are the life-ratings on OLEDs nowadays, though? The Zune HD has an OLED screen, right?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Yes, the Zune HD has an OLED screen, and tbh, it is nicer than any screen I have ever seen on a handheld device. The iPhone looks truly pathetic in comparison. So dull and ugly that I actually don't like looking at it after using the Zune.

It's still expensive, yet a Zune HD with a Tegra processor and an OLED screen costs me just over £200, yet the iPhone 3GS costs me £400? Seems to me that it's reached the time to change to OLED, not release another "awesome" phone without an OLED screen.

This is the right time to change, the Nexus will fall behind whoever is smart enough to release the first OLED phone - With a good OS, that is. However vibrant the Nexus looks, it will be nothing in comparison to an OLED screen.

The AMOLED Zune HD screen developed by Samsung is set to last at least 5 years, and that's with approximately 24 hour use at its brightest. Which is too bright.
Benzin
+576|6000
5 year life? Hmm... not bad. The question is, though, at what point do colors begin to fade? I remember there was a big issue for the longest time with displaying the color blue and they obviously worked that out recently enough to put them into production, but nonetheless... I think the only thing keeping them from making it to the cell phone market is the cost of the screens and the life. I mean, I've had cell phones that are much older than 5 years and keep on trucking as if they were brand new. That's where the real problem at the moment is, imo.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6471

CapnNismo wrote:

5 year life? Hmm... not bad. The question is, though, at what point do colors begin to fade? I remember there was a big issue for the longest time with displaying the color blue and they obviously worked that out recently enough to put them into production, but nonetheless... I think the only thing keeping them from making it to the cell phone market is the cost of the screens and the life. I mean, I've had cell phones that are much older than 5 years and keep on trucking as if they were brand new. That's where the real problem at the moment is, imo.

Zimmer wrote:

The AMOLED Zune HD screen developed by Samsung is set to last at least 5 years, and that's with approximately 24 hour use at its brightest. Which is too bright.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Benzin
+576|6000
I realize that is a very long time - but that's total life time. I'm more curious at what point in the lifetime that the colors really begin to noticeably fade.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

CapnNismo wrote:

I realize that is a very long time - but that's total life time. I'm more curious at what point in the lifetime that the colors really begin to noticeably fade.
No, that IS when they begin to fade. The vibrance of the colours lasts for 5 years with constant use, then that is when it starts to fade noticeably. Sorry, didn't make that clear enough.
Benzin
+576|6000
Ahhh ok!!! Well nevermind then, worries taken care of. Bring on OLED
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5252

CapnNismo wrote:

Kim, try holding out for the Nexus if you can. I would. It's supposed to come to Verizon in March, I think you can wait that long.

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

bb tour ftw
You have no idea what you're talking about...
lol, k
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
Xperia 2 by Sony is out
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Microwave
_
+515|6657|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I'm waiting for the UK release of the Nexus One, can't waaaait! Was thinking of getting one from America but the shipping and tax makes it not worth it.

Had enough of my Blackberry .
Benzin
+576|6000

james@alienware wrote:

I'm waiting for the UK release of the Nexus One, can't waaaait! Was thinking of getting one from America but the shipping and tax makes it not worth it.

You can already order an unlocked Nexus One. They're already shipping to the UK.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

james@alienware wrote:

What blackberry do you have?
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5252
blackberry > everything...at least for what i use a phone for
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

paperweight?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Microwave
_
+515|6657|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

CapnNismo wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

You can already order an unlocked Nexus One. They're already shipping to the UK.
Yeah...but it adds ~£70 with shipping and tax. I'd rather pay hopefully ~£300 when it hits the UK.

Zimmer wrote:

What blackberry do you have?
8520. I love the size and feel, the keyboards good, the trackpad works well. But it's just slow. Slow to do everything - menus, camera, web browsing. Oh and no 3G, which I didn't think I'd care about but it's a nightmare, SO SLOW!!
zeidmaan
+234|6417|Vienna

My Samsung Galaxy Spica has an OLED screen and its brilliant. Better screen than any other phone I compared it to. Plus it uses less battery than other screens. Its a shame Nexus doesn't have it.
Benzin
+576|6000
The Galaxy Spica has OLED? Hm. That means my friend has a better screen than my Magic. But at least I have Android 1.6, so there!
zeidmaan
+234|6417|Vienna

CapnNismo wrote:

The Galaxy Spica has OLED? Hm. That means my friend has a better screen than my Magic. But at least I have Android 1.6, so there!
Spica can play xvids
Benzin
+576|6000
and? I have a netbook and iPod for that
zeidmaan
+234|6417|Vienna

CapnNismo wrote:

and? I have a netbook and iPod for that
touché
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5252

.Sup wrote:

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

paperweight?
texting, emailing, and talking. nothing compares in those areas
Benzin
+576|6000
Hahahaha, whaaat thinks his Blackberry is best in those areas... The only one I will give you is email. The rest are all pretty much equal across the competing devices...
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

my BB Storm is worth every penny i've paid for it (phone itself, plan, etc)
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5252

CapnNismo wrote:

Hahahaha, whaaat thinks his Blackberry is best in those areas... The only one I will give you is email. The rest are all pretty much equal across the competing devices...
uhhhh no. touchscreen still sucks balls
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6741|Toronto | Canada

CapnNismo wrote:

Having a physical keyboard will always be better than one on the screen.  BB keyboard > Nexus One on screen keyboard

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard