Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
Hm, I don't know much about investing, what I do know is that my parents tried to 'invest' (well in reality just my dad) by day-to-day stock market trading.

We lost a lot of money. Badly. I think mum's idea was better, going into property especially given the magnitude and substance of the housing boom here.

Watching this thread with interest to pick up the basics on saving/investing so I don't fuck it up as well.

PS. Almost everyone here uses superannuation as their form of 'investment', I don't really know what that means though - apart from that a fund 'invests' in different areas like the housing market, stock market etc. I have no clue whether/how that is different from a 401(k), whatever that is.

Last edited by Spark (2010-01-04 07:45:46)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

JohnG@lt wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's a nice system you guys have set up. I still prefer to do it myself and I'm against making it mandatory on philosophical grounds, but it's nice nonetheless.
There's nothing stopping you having a self managed fund. Also contributions are tax deductible and earnings are only taxed at a maximum 15%.
How hard is it to get Aussie citizenship?
It is fucking easy to get citizenship for Aus. But we have the hated socialized healthcare too But our taxes are low as shit due to efficient governing.

Well you can always visit the immigration website, PR is fucking easy to get as well. Citizenship should take around 4 years, or find a nice aussie girl
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Spark wrote:

Hm, I don't know much about investing, what I do know is that my parents tried to 'invest' (well in reality just my dad) by day-to-day stock market trading.

We lost a lot of money. Badly. I think mum's idea was better, going into property especially given the magnitude and substance of the housing boom here.

Watching this thread with interest to pick up the basics on saving/investing so I don't fuck it up as well.

PS. Almost everyone here uses superannuation as their form of 'investment', I don't really know what that means though - apart from that a fund 'invests' in different areas like the housing market, stock market etc. I have no clue whether/how that is different from a 401(k), whatever that is.
Day to day trading is essentially gambling so... yeah Real estate can net you large sums but you have to be in the right market and it takes a lot of initial capital to get going, especially if you're house flipping. You also have serious potential to get burned if the market quiets down and you're stuck paying the mortgage.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's a nice system you guys have set up. I still prefer to do it myself and I'm against making it mandatory on philosophical grounds, but it's nice nonetheless.
There's nothing stopping you having a self managed fund. Also contributions are tax deductible and earnings are only taxed at a maximum 15%.
We were here for two years before we got citizenship/naturalization for whole family. As Cybargs says, very easy. If you speak good English, are willing to help and have got skills this country welcomes you with open arms. Hell, the first condition isn't even that important.

Plus, the weather is . Unless you live in Melbourne.

Last edited by Spark (2010-01-04 07:50:48)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

It is fucking easy to get citizenship for Aus. But we have the hated socialized healthcare too But our taxes are low as shit due to efficient governing.

Well you can always visit the immigration website, PR is fucking easy to get as well. Citizenship should take around 4 years, or find a nice aussie girl
Aussie girls are batshit crazy. They do like Americans though
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Actually just say you're Canadian, it's a commonwealth thing

My dad used to work in immigration, and you have a degree in EE I presume (from what I've read in your posts before). Aus will definitely take you since you have a marketable trade skill and of course you can speak English. Oh and our economy is kickass now due to abundance in natural resources (Aus dollar is almost in match with American ).
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

My dad used to work in immigration, and you have a degree in EE I presume (from what I've read in your posts before). Aus will definitely take you since you have a marketable trade skill and of course you can speak English. Oh and our economy is kickass now due to abundance in natural resources (Aus dollar is almost in match with American ).
Abundance of natural resources? Sheep farms????
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's New Zealand .

Well Aus just signed a deal with China for 50 years worth of Natural gas and oil (correct me about the oil part if anyone knows).

Aus has a huge ore mining industry... And uranium too.

Oh, and you get to enjoy tasty kangaroos
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

That's New Zealand .

Well Aus just signed a deal with China for 50 years worth of Natural gas and oil (correct me about the oil part if anyone knows).

I need trees and mountains and snow to be happy. Sharks are also not my cup of tea.
-Frederick Bastiat
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6542|Texas - Bigger than France

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pug wrote:

Good luck then.  I would be interested in hearing your strategy on picking stocks/how often trades made/what info sources will be used/etc
Strategy is to pick stocks of companies that Buffett would call 'Franchises'. Name brand stuff that has room to grow like Coca-Cola. Stocks like that aren't sexy but they're the safest and will give you the most stable returns. As far as how often on trades? Well, I don't plan on ever watching the stock ticker and have no desire to bet on short term gains or losses so rarely. Sources? The company annual report and the WSJ for any pertinent news.
Was looking for something more specific, but ok
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pug wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pug wrote:

Good luck then.  I would be interested in hearing your strategy on picking stocks/how often trades made/what info sources will be used/etc
Strategy is to pick stocks of companies that Buffett would call 'Franchises'. Name brand stuff that has room to grow like Coca-Cola. Stocks like that aren't sexy but they're the safest and will give you the most stable returns. As far as how often on trades? Well, I don't plan on ever watching the stock ticker and have no desire to bet on short term gains or losses so rarely. Sources? The company annual report and the WSJ for any pertinent news.
Was looking for something more specific, but ok
I'll dig up my notes. Give me a bit.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's New Zealand .

I need trees and mountains and snow to be happy. Sharks are also not my cup of tea.
Move to canberra then

Oh on immigration issues you can thank AUSFTA making shit easier for both sides
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Australia produces
16% iron
20% magnesium
15% nickel
30% aluminium
19% uranium
10% silver
9% coal
19% diamonds
6% copper
30% titanium
10% gold
25% wool
10% wood chips
of total world output per year.

We also produce more oil per capita then the US (and use less), as well as over 3 times the beef and 5 times the wheat production per capita as the US making us world leaders in both by quiet some margin.

So for a country with only 0.33% of the worlds population I say we're doing ok in natural resources.

JohnG@lt wrote:

I can't claim that Australia excels in that department... but it's not unheard of.
https://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/upload/images/all/RJRNLBTH.jpg

Last edited by DrunkFace (2010-01-04 09:43:29)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6542|Texas - Bigger than France
dont forget beer
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
While I'm with you as far as the fact that Australia certainly has natural resources to speak of, per capita means very, very little when talking about resources. Absolute production is what is important on a global scale.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

While I'm with you as far as the fact that Australia certainly has natural resources to speak of, per capita means very, very little when talking about resources. Absolute production is what is important on a global scale.
Still shitloads in terms of global output for those metals mentioned by drunkface. But it sustains Australia anyway when you produce a lot more per capita, you can support your population if you chose to become totally isolationist (Which I doubt).
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Fine...
4% beef
6% wheat
.7% oil
1.5% beer
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
We got a little of topic.

But the OP is right that you should be saving (investing) for the future. Unfortunately my super fund lost 7.82% last year because of you know what. But the previous 5 years its been averaging about 14%p.a.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

DrunkFace wrote:

But the OP is right that you should be saving (investing) for the future. Unfortunately my super fund lost 7.82% last year because of you know what. But the previous 5 years its been averaging about 14%p.a.
From what I've heard Vietnam is the next big market... Invest around March, pull out in October.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

From what I've heard Vietnam is the next big market... Invest around March, pull out in October.
Incorrect. Investing in Vietnam is a lousy idea:
HANOI – Vietnam is considering putting price controls on a broad array of products and is cracking down on certain personal and political activity, in a sharp reversal of what has been a move toward more-open markets and a more-open society.

Foreign businesses worry about the threat of price controls—something many analysts consider a hallmark of Vietnam's Marxist past. That comes after authorities last month blocked access to Web sites such as Facebook and Twitter, following cases in which several bloggers were detained, then released, on charges of criticizing the government. In October, nine people were given stiff sentences for calling for pro-democracy protests.

Carlyle Thayer, a veteran Vietnam watcher and professor at the Australian Defense Academy in Canberra, says conservative factions in the ruling Politburo are tightening their grip on the country as Vietnam's economic worries—especially inflation and fallout from currency devaluations—grow. He says he expects more crackdowns and arrests to come in the run-up to the country's 2011 Party Congress, a major political event that will aim to map out Vietnam's political and economic direction for the following five years.

In turn, the crackdowns threaten to curtail investment and economic growth in the country.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126146313438101283.html
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

HANOI – Vietnam is considering putting price controls on a broad array of products and is cracking down on certain personal and political activity, in a sharp reversal of what has been a move toward more-open markets and a more-open society.

Foreign businesses worry about the threat of price controls—something many analysts consider a hallmark of Vietnam's Marxist past. That comes after authorities last month blocked access to Web sites such as Facebook and Twitter, following cases in which several bloggers were detained, then released, on charges of criticizing the government. In October, nine people were given stiff sentences for calling for pro-democracy protests.

Carlyle Thayer, a veteran Vietnam watcher and professor at the Australian Defense Academy in Canberra, says conservative factions in the ruling Politburo are tightening their grip on the country as Vietnam's economic worries—especially inflation and fallout from currency devaluations—grow. He says he expects more crackdowns and arrests to come in the run-up to the country's 2011 Party Congress, a major political event that will aim to map out Vietnam's political and economic direction for the following five years.

In turn, the crackdowns threaten to curtail investment and economic growth in the country.
Only if you invest in the right things You have to well... Know the inside news of corporate activity in vietnam tbh. Only certain business' thrive.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Only if you invest in the right things You have to well... Know the inside news of corporate activity in vietnam tbh. Only certain business' thrive.
Good luck with that.  As you implied, rampant corruption...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

That's New Zealand .

Move to canberra then

Oh on immigration issues you can thank AUSFTA making shit easier for both sides
I'll move there if you tell me that all the women look like Portia di Rossi, Jacinda Barrett and Nicole Kidman
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Australia's nice and all, but that big hole in the ozone thing...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard