Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Because no one killed anyone before the 20th century right?
Muslims and Christians have been killing each other in various ways for about 1500 years. This is nothing new. What is new is mass instant media and the ability to exploit it to send a bigger message. If planes had existed 300 years ago I guarantee they would've been used as weapons then too.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Lowing the US doesn't have a problem with Islam, it has a problem with terrorism. I think you need to make the distinction. A few hundred out of 1.4 Billion Muslims does not mean the US is at war with Islam.

Also, if you insist on screening every single Muslim or person of middle eastern appearance do you realise the time and manpower required? the delays in airports? the removal of rights to regular people and US citizens based simply on their beliefs? that is bullshit.

When you ask American's what they love about america etc etc, most say freedom. How is profiling, screening and searching US citizens or citizens or allied nations based on their religion free? How about we in Australia and Europe start screening American's because of their higher murder rates, more frequent massacres and home grown terrorist attacks. I'm sure you'd be disgusted if it was YOUR civil liberties and freedoms being impinged upon.

(Apologies if this has been discussed before, I have not read the entire thread)
No it has a probelm with ISLAMIC terrorism. To deny this is nothing more than head in the sand non-sense.

It is not just terrorism, it is the encroachment of Islam. I mean if you claim 1.4 billion, they gotta be going somewhere right? and it has already been concluded that westersn society and Islamic culture do not mix.

As far as screenings go, I don't give a shit how long it takes. You act as if 1.4 billion Muslims are all flying at the same time, on the same plane.

Because Islam is not just a religion, we have been over this. It is a way of life and a belief that does not mesh wirh western freedoms and tolerances.

If people like me were blowing up planes, markets and buildings, I would expect to be profiled.

If you do not want to deal profiling during this time of war, take your ass back to the Islamic culture, ( you love so much) filled country and stay there. Islam and its backpeddling, intolerant, stone age bullshit is not wanted or needed or appreciated here.
So say for example, some people from a different country, a different culture, a different political view, but shared the same religion as you had attacked a country a half dozen times. You would expect to be profiled?

If Islam is so diametrically opposed to the West CULTURE. Then why is Islamic terrorism only a relatively recent development? Is it perhaps rather perceived injustices and the unbalance of power and wealth? Perhaps due to America's constant interference in the Middle East? If it truly was Islam that was against western culture, then why have they not being attacking for hundreds of years? Why could Christians and Muslims live side by side without killing each other (and still do)
A recent development? you might wanna check your history, terrorism dates back to where it all started with your beloved Muhammad.

the ME has all the oil, they are wealthy, no one has stolen it from them, they have purchased it, at their prices, after it was refined, developed as a commodity and marketed for them.

Also it isn't JUST western culture that Islam hates, Islam hates fuckin' everything and everybody, that is not Islam.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

What is new is mass instant media and the ability to exploit it to send a bigger message.
The Crusades were not a huge event, big message with banners, advertisement, word of mouth, aka media?

No wonder nobody noticed them.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

What is new is mass instant media and the ability to exploit it to send a bigger message.
The Crusades were not a huge event, big message with banners, advertisement, word of mouth, aka media?

Crusades, the Muslim invasion and subsequent expulsion from Spain, the Turk invasion of the Balkans that was stopped at Vienna... Muslim galleys using Christian slaves... etc etc etc. There's a lot of history of hostility between Christians and Muslims. I know people in Western countries love to hate on Christianity because it's the 'evil they know' but the Muslims of history are far from innocent peace loving individuals.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

lowing wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing wrote:

No it has a probelm with ISLAMIC terrorism. To deny this is nothing more than head in the sand non-sense.

It is not just terrorism, it is the encroachment of Islam. I mean if you claim 1.4 billion, they gotta be going somewhere right? and it has already been concluded that westersn society and Islamic culture do not mix.

As far as screenings go, I don't give a shit how long it takes. You act as if 1.4 billion Muslims are all flying at the same time, on the same plane.

Because Islam is not just a religion, we have been over this. It is a way of life and a belief that does not mesh wirh western freedoms and tolerances.

If people like me were blowing up planes, markets and buildings, I would expect to be profiled.

If you do not want to deal profiling during this time of war, take your ass back to the Islamic culture, ( you love so much) filled country and stay there. Islam and its backpeddling, intolerant, stone age bullshit is not wanted or needed or appreciated here.
So say for example, some people from a different country, a different culture, a different political view, but shared the same religion as you had attacked a country a half dozen times. You would expect to be profiled?

If Islam is so diametrically opposed to the West CULTURE. Then why is Islamic terrorism only a relatively recent development? Is it perhaps rather perceived injustices and the unbalance of power and wealth? Perhaps due to America's constant interference in the Middle East? If it truly was Islam that was against western culture, then why have they not being attacking for hundreds of years? Why could Christians and Muslims live side by side without killing each other (and still do)
A recent development? you might wanna check your history, terrorism dates back to where it all started with your beloved Muhammad.

the ME has all the oil, they are wealthy, no one has stolen it from them, they have purchased it, at their prices, after it was refined, developed as a commodity and marketed for them.

Also it isn't JUST western culture that Islam hates, Islam hates fuckin' everything and everybody, that is not Islam.
Lowing I thought it was always you who said keep it in todays world.... anyway, if your going back that far than the west (or Christianity if we are simply discussing religion) is just as guilty.

And the ME isn't wealthy, a small amount of western backed oil companies, princes and CEO are rich. I know thats not necessarily the west fault, but you can see how it would be perceived that way
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I really wonder how many people who defend Islam are atheists.

People who claim atheism just because they 'hate Christianity' are no atheists at all. They're just immature children.
-Frederick Bastiat
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

JohnG@lt wrote:

People who claim atheism just because they 'hate Christianity' are no atheists at all. They're just immature children.
Is that directed at anybody in particular?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Is that directed at anybody in particular?
No, just musing. I don't know what your beliefs are so far be it from me to speculate.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Crusades, the Muslim invasion and subsequent expulsion from Spain, the Turk invasion of the Balkans that was stopped at Vienna... Muslim galleys using Christian slaves... etc etc etc. There's a lot of history of hostility between Christians and Muslims. I know people in Western countries love to hate on Christianity because it's the 'evil they know' but the Muslims of history are far from innocent peace loving individuals.
Who isn't?

In context though, Islam has enjoyed very long periods in which it was the most enlightened and progessive culture in the world by a country mile.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Lowing I thought it was always you who said keep it in todays world.... anyway, if your going back that far than the west (or Christianity if we are simply discussing religion) is just as guilty.

And the ME isn't wealthy, a small amount of western backed oil companies, princes and CEO are rich. I know thats not necessarily the west fault, but you can see how it would be perceived that way
Absolutely, lets keep it in todays world, but in the context of your notion that Islamic terrorism is only a recent developement, there is no way.

As far as your argument that other religions are violent as well

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages … m#crusades

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages … .htm#other

I love how this site hits every one of the common arguments regarding islam. So easy and quick to reference. Now here is the test, see if you can attack their points WITHOUT attacking the source. Good Luck.

Yer right, that ain't the fault of the west. Enough said. What would you have us do, interfere and force these countries to spread the wealth? Certainly not.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Who isn't?

In context though, Islam has enjoyed very long periods in which it was the most enlightened and progessive culture in the world by a country mile.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages … tm#science

Yeah, that is addressed as well. I love it.

Last edited by lowing (2009-12-31 03:27:46)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
[video]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-768956312207897325&ei=KJU8S-CAI47A-AbMu-WRBA&q=When+Muslims+Ruled+in+Europe#[/video]

Many Muslims look back at Muslim Spain with pride. But Jews also call it their "golden era".

Spain became part of the Islamic world at the beginning of the eighth century. Under Muslims, Spain became the center of civilization. Although many local Spaniards embraced Islam, Christians and Jews were free in all aspects of their lives. The Muslims respected their religion and institutions. The result was the birth of the first true cosmopolitan culture in the West.

Christians studied alongside Muslim scholars to such a degree that in 854, a Christian named Alvaro of Cordoba complained that these students were forgetting their own religion and culture.

The Muslims and Christians of Spain did not live in their ghettos, isolated and not cooperating in various aspects of daily life together.

It was in Spain that Aristotle's works on physics and natural history were translated into Arabic from Greek. Historians generally acknowledge that the Muslim world proved to be a major conduit of ancient scholarship into the West, especially through Muslim Spain.

It wasn't just Muslims and Christians who thrived in Spain, though. Jews, who were reviled and hated elsewhere, were not only living safely and peacefully alongside non-Jews in Muslim Spain, they were learning and contributing to its culture and knowledge which Muslim scholars had established. Al-Andalus was a key center of Jewish life during the early Middle Ages, producing important scholars and one of the most stable and wealthy Jewish communities.

But this success in wealth, knowledge and co-existence came to end in a violent and very sad way.

As Christian Crusaders of Spain expelled Muslims, civilization that took centuries to build was destroyed. Muslims and Jews were either expelled or forced to convert to Christianity. Millions died as tolerance was replaced by the Spanish Inquisition. A suspected Muslim was to be killed for the smallest act resembling Islamic tradition - such as taking a bath on Friday.
Science in medieval Islam

-Educate and Cultivate yourself.

Happy new year
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Games-Muslims-Play.htm#crusades

haha that's such a funny site. Maybe there's some points that have some semblance of truth, and many that apply equally to other religions or non-religious groups, but it's so transaprently biased you'd have to be an idiot to believe it all.

Oh, hang on...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
I don't know why they tie Islam into all those scientific advancements and shit. It's not like people tie other religions to advancements. Do we tie Christian advancements to the wtfuckstick amount of shit that Europe invented, or Buddhism/Confucianism to the shit that China invented, or Hinduism to the shit that India invented, etc etc..

The places that Islam conquered, Persia, the Fertile Crescent etc.. were already major sources of Knowledge, Science and Learning.
Beduin
+510|5751|شمال

Mekstizzle wrote:

The places that Islam conquered, Persia, the Fertile Crescent etc.. were already major sources of Knowledge, Science and Learning.
Muslim scientists placed a greater emphasis on experimentation than previous ancient civilizations (for example, Greek philosophy placed a greater emphasis on rationality rather than empiricism), which was due to the emphasis on empirical observation found in the Qur'an and Sunnah.....
Ibn al-Haytham developed rigorous experimental methods of controlled scientific testing in order to verify theoretical hypotheses and substantiate inductive conjectures. Ibn al-Haytham's scientific method was similar to the modern scientific method in that it consisted of the following procedures:

1.Observation
2.Statement of problem
3.Formulation of hypothesis
4.Testing of hypothesis using experimentation
5.Analysis of experimental results
6.Interpretation of data and formulation of conclusion
7.Publication of findings

The development of the scientific method is considered to be fundamental to modern science and some — especially philosophers of science and practicing scientists — consider earlier inquiries into nature to be pre-scientific. Some consider Ibn al-Haytham to be the "first scientist" for this reason.
The list is long. Bottom line:

Beduin wrote:

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I don't know why they keep equating it all to religion, Islam itself probably had nothing to do, or very little, with it at all. Just like Christianity had more or less nothing to do with the Industrial Revolution or things like that. Just face the facts. And if you really think that some places were just stupid nonsense before Islam came in and showed them the light and brought all these scientific advancements, well there's nothing I can do to change that around really, it's just how you think. I'm not gonna sit here and accept your nonsense about religion being the force behind scientific advancement.

You probably have no idea of pre-Islamic civilisations anyway, in your book the world was nothing before Islam came around. Fuck that shit. Why don't you go ahead and educate yourself of the world before Islam came and took over half of it and then claimed all sorts of technological/scientific advancements from its colonies to itself.
Beduin
+510|5751|شمال
Easy now mekkie. I know you don't like reading such things, but facts are facts, we can't change history now can we?

Don't worry about what I think. I am taking care of that
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mekstizzle
WALKER
What facts, what are you even talking about, all you've talked about is how the Quran had emphasised empirical observation which all other ancient civilisations apparently did not. How is that even justification for anything. It's valid, I'll give you that, but it's still not much.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

I don't know why they keep equating it all to religion, Islam itself probably had nothing to do, or very little, with it at all. Just like Christianity had more or less nothing to do with the Industrial Revolution or things like that. Just face the facts. And if you really think that some places were just stupid nonsense before Islam came in and showed them the light and brought all these scientific advancements, well there's nothing I can do to change that around really, it's just how you think. I'm not gonna sit here and accept your nonsense about religion being the force behind scientific advancement.

You probably have no idea of pre-Islamic civilisations anyway, in your book the world was nothing before Islam came around. Fuck that shit. Why don't you go ahead and educate yourself of the world before Islam came and took over half of it and then claimed all sorts of technological/scientific advancements from its colonies to itself.
Islam in this context means much more than 'religion'.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

So then you're talking about what, the Arabic culture that it brought along? That was the driving force of all the progress in the Muslim-conquered world? I find that hard to believe. In the times before Islam, places like North Africa, Persia, Fertile Crescent etc.. were much more advanced than Arabia was. Where was places like Mecca etc.. on the map before Islam came around? Where were places like the whole of Arabia on the map before Islam? Before Islam, they were practically nothing. Even nowadays, that specific region of the world isn't really known for anything except Oil.

All I'm saying is, religion has very little to do with scientific and technological innovation. Except maybe in the fields of Astronomy and such. I'll tell you what the prime mover for advancements in science/technology was throughout history, it's War.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

So then you're talking about what, the Arabic culture that it brought along? That was the driving force of all the progress in the Muslim-conquered world? I find that hard to believe. In the times before Islam, places like North Africa, Persia, Fertile Crescent etc.. were much more advanced than Arabia was. Where was places like Mecca etc.. on the map before Islam came around? Where were places like the whole of Arabia on the map before Islam? Before Islam, they were practically nothing. Even nowadays, that specific region of the world isn't really known for anything except Oil.

All I'm saying is, religion has very little to do with scientific and technological innovation. Except maybe in the fields of Astronomy and such. I'll tell you what the prime mover for advancements in science/technology was throughout history, it's War.
Hmm.

Can you back that up, link the many civil/social advancements in the region with wars in the area?
~ Richard Feynman
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Spark wrote:

Hmm.

Can you back that up, link the many civil/social advancements in the region with wars in the area?
Europe is the best example. Competition and conflict was one of the main reasons it advanced so much compared to other areas of the world. Geography also plays its part. Talk about Rome, how much of Rome's achievements can be given to its pantheon of gods and its Roman religion? The only successful thing Rome did with Religion was to convert to Christianity and then make the rest of Europe do the same and setup the whole Pope system which, until the Protestants came along and told the Pope to fuck off, let them control alot of Europe, and organise crusades and shit.

You don't need links, you just need to look back at the world history with logic.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Spark wrote:

Hmm.

I think he's referring to war as technology advancement as a whole. Medicines, radar, computers, jet engines, rockets and space flight etc.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Beduin wrote:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … in+Europe#

Many Muslims look back at Muslim Spain with pride. But Jews also call it their "golden era".

Spain became part of the Islamic world at the beginning of the eighth century. Under Muslims, Spain became the center of civilization. Although many local Spaniards embraced Islam, Christians and Jews were free in all aspects of their lives. The Muslims respected their religion and institutions. The result was the birth of the first true cosmopolitan culture in the West.

Christians studied alongside Muslim scholars to such a degree that in 854, a Christian named Alvaro of Cordoba complained that these students were forgetting their own religion and culture.

The Muslims and Christians of Spain did not live in their ghettos, isolated and not cooperating in various aspects of daily life together.

It was in Spain that Aristotle's works on physics and natural history were translated into Arabic from Greek. Historians generally acknowledge that the Muslim world proved to be a major conduit of ancient scholarship into the West, especially through Muslim Spain.

It wasn't just Muslims and Christians who thrived in Spain, though. Jews, who were reviled and hated elsewhere, were not only living safely and peacefully alongside non-Jews in Muslim Spain, they were learning and contributing to its culture and knowledge which Muslim scholars had established. Al-Andalus was a key center of Jewish life during the early Middle Ages, producing important scholars and one of the most stable and wealthy Jewish communities.

But this success in wealth, knowledge and co-existence came to end in a violent and very sad way.

As Christian Crusaders of Spain expelled Muslims, civilization that took centuries to build was destroyed. Muslims and Jews were either expelled or forced to convert to Christianity. Millions died as tolerance was replaced by the Spanish Inquisition. A suspected Muslim was to be killed for the smallest act resembling Islamic tradition - such as taking a bath on Friday.
Science in medieval Islam

Happy new year
from your article,

"This article's factual accuracy is disputed. Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page."

I will leave it up to you to decide if you are going to read the disputes.

Happy New Year to you as well.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

lowing wrote:

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Games-Muslims-Play.htm#crusades

haha that's such a funny site. Maybe there's some points that have some semblance of truth, and many that apply equally to other religions or non-religious groups, but it's so transaprently biased you'd have to be an idiot to believe it all.

Oh, hang on...
Actually I find it fair

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages … uslims.htm

from the same site.

I guess you failed, I asked you to challengethe material, and yet again it is the source you go for. wouldn't challenging the material be far easier and credible if it were wrong and you showed us how it was wrong?

just because you do not like the information does not mean it is wrong or biased. Truth can hurt.

Last edited by lowing (2009-12-31 07:28:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard