Blank_The_Bogan
MEDIC!
+19|5465|Qld, Australia
Hey guys,
just wondering, does BF2 Support Windows 7?

Thanks
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6461|cuntshitlake

Yes
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5866|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I went back to XP, mouse is so dodgy in Windows 7 it's floaty and accelerated and there's no fix for it
Wallpaper
+303|5992|The pool

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

I went back to XP, mouse is so dodgy in Windows 7 it's floaty and accelerated and there's no fix for it
wat. I dont feel any difference
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5507|America

Blank_The_Bogan wrote:

Hey guys,
just wondering, does BF2 Support Windows 7?

Thanks
Can't tell if srs.....
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
Babb Master Flash
Justice for the 96!
+540|6379|Oslo, Norway
If you got a "strong" machine Windows 7 allows you to use more power so things will go alot faster. I'm very happy playing BF2 with Windows 7.
Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5479
Mine worked great for a while then one day it just stopped. Win7x64 on a Sony VAIO...
H3RB4L ABU53

Wallpaper wrote:

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

wat. I dont feel any difference
You probably didn't get rid of mouse accel on XP so you'd be used to it.

With XP there is the CPL mouse fix, anir's mouse fix etc that gets rid of acceleration. When you're used to it you can't aim without it, there's no fix for windows 7, I tried windows 7 for a bit and the mouse is horrible so went back to XP.

Apart from installing windows 7 for the sake of it being "the latest os" I don't see any point at all (apart from aero effects) in installing it.

XP is faster with multi cores

You can disable acceleration

Every program works with it, and it's not bloated. Apart from UAC (which is pointless) Windows 7 isn't any more secure either, so far every person I've heard of has installed windows 7 just because it's the newest, no other reason
BVC
+325|6694
I'm now using BF2 on Home Premium OEM instead of RC1.  I had less issues installing it on HP than RC1 - no weird PB stuff to do etc.
H3RB4L ABU53
If anyone had same issue as me with Windows 7 mouse acceleration, one's recently been released- search Google for "MarkC Windows7"
It's called MarkC mouse fix- disables acceleration like CPL and other fixes do in XP, and it definately helps in BF2
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

You probably didn't get rid of mouse accel on XP so you'd be used to it.

XP is faster with multi cores

You can disable acceleration

Every program works with it, and it's not bloated. Apart from UAC (which is pointless) Windows 7 isn't any more secure either, so far every person I've heard of has installed windows 7 just because it's the newest, no other reason
LMFAO

You, sir, are completely TERRIBLE, BAD, and should FEEL BAD.

There's no mouse acceleration in XP or in Windows 7, at least set on as default. XP is NOT faster with multicores, there is NO compatibility issues with Windows 7 on ANY program I've ever used, and the ones that said "This doesn't work with any 64-bit OS" right click > run as XP SP3, sorted.

But I guess you can stay stupid and enjoy your crappy XP.

Last edited by Finray (2010-03-11 09:13:00)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
H3RB4L ABU53
Don't know why you are trying to slay me.

Without a mouse fix, XP and Windows 7 both have acceleration built in and can't be disabled by just turning off "enhance pointer precision"
If you don't notice it then don't worry about it, I notice it so do loads of people.
XP is faster than Windows 7 at multi tasking, loads of benchmarks to prove it, Windows 7 will only overtake XP in terms of speed when parallell processing is the norm and PC's have around 30 or more cores/cpus.
There are loads of compatablitity issues with Windows 7, if there wasn't, there wouldn't be a load of threads with people moaning they can't get BF2 to work or PB issues/CD Key issues, not to mention quite a few decent programs aren't compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7- I do know, I'm using Windows 7 right now to test if the mouse fix works, and it doesn't.
And Windows 7 is bloated, apart from a prettier GUI, what does it have to offer over XP other than some noob integrated programs like sticky notes and revamped paint.exe?
Only saying my opinion on it, no need to call me stupid I just don't understand what the massive craze over 7 is about.
Vista failed, they made Windows 7 an improved Vista that's about it imo

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2010-03-11 16:19:40)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Care to show me any of these benchmarks?

Anyone who complains BF2 doesn't work properly is DOIN IT RONG. I installed, patched to 1.41, patched to 1.5, updated PB, disabled aero, and it worked. Flawlessly.

Also show me a program that doesn't work in Windows 7. Windows Vista was released in November 2006. Since then, anyone making a program has been including 64 bit and Vista compatibility. (Well, any program worth a damn). So we've had 4 years of programs being made to suit Vista, and by the way, any program that suits Vista will suit 7 too.

What has it got to offer over XP... aside from? So you're not going to upgrade because there's little to gain? Sure, I could see the logic if there was nothing to gain. Let me see, quicker boot times, increased stability, more than 3.5GB of RAM support, increased performance, both in and out of games, increased functionality, smoother multitasking support.

XP was released 9 years ago. Don't you think you should move on now, and let it die? Seriously, there is nothing it offers over even Vista, let alone 7.
H3RB4L ABU53
https://stein.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/~charlie/layman/BrownBrickWall_tileable.jpg

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2010-03-11 17:33:28)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Like talking to a brick wall tbh.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney
I recently upgraded my system and now have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit as my o/s.

It's awesome, much better than xp IMO, which I had for a number of years. Just the logical way of navigating through directories, having the preview right there, and it's SO QUICK!

BF2 runs better than ever, probably due to new hardware and I've only had minor compatibility issues which are solved in about 3 clicks of a mouse.

Boots faster, feels more stable (haven't had any crashes yet), the only thing I have to get used to is some programs have 32 and 64 bit versions, but it's no biggie. Plus, I seem to have a much higher connection to my router even though I'm using the same router in the same spot with the same modem and using the same wireless receiver.

Oh, and the mouse is exactly the same as xp.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-03-15 05:54:18)

ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
^^^^

yeah what he said, at least once you run bf2 as administrator (kinda dumb though - only one account on the computer which IS an administrator account obviously, and I still have to choose to run it as administrator? weird). but windows 7 = win (so far)
H3RB4L ABU53
People slay me for arguing why I think XP is better, I'm only saying my opinion and want to know solid facts why people are so crazy over Windows 7.
It is a fact that it doesn't boot faster, XP boots fastest, Windows 7 shuts down fastest. 7 might boot faster if you've had XP for years straight, I've gone from a clean install of 7 to a clean install of XP and on my i5 XP boots a lot faster.
You don't have to run BF2 as admin, I didn't and it worked fine, never got kicked by PB.
On certain hardware, BF2 and BC2 completely locks up on Windows 7 on every game, it don't on XP.
The mouse code is completely different to XP, and it doesn't feel the same even with the "fix" that's just come out, again only picky people notice it, and there's a lot of picky people (just doesn't seem to be any on here).

I'm not saying Windows 7 is BAD, to sum up what I think is that 9 years after XP's release, they haven't made any MAJOR improvements, nothing is completely different, networks being faster is a lie, must have had something wrong with your XP, apart from ipv6 built in (which no one will use for years) they haven't changed anything except unlock the max half-open connections, which you can do on XP anyway.

Some people like the fact there are library features, and shortcuts all over the place, it's not for everyone.
I like a neat desktop and know where to go to navigate around, the first thing I did when I installed 7 was remove all the libraries and shortcut stuff (which is a pain because you have to use reg keys) even then you can't completely disable them.
And once I done that I wasn't left with anything worth talking about except very nice aero effects.
For the average home user who wants ease of use and doesn't mind about bloat I'd say Windows 7 would be better, but for me it's not.
I disabled UAC, it's pointless and annoying, yet a supposedly major feature of Windows 7, basically trying to be more like Linux.
Comodo's firewall with defense+ does a much better job than UAC anyway.
Things like scheduled defrag being enabled by default on Windows 7 is annoying, I had to disable all sorts of pointless stuff just to make it clean.

The only 2 real improvements over XP I found with Windows 7 were Aero, and the fact that on the taskbar there is a progress bar on the program tab which makes it easier to see without having to open the program.
That is honestly all that is worthwhile on Windows 7 for me, I know everyone's different but that's my opinion

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2010-03-15 09:42:11)

Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

People slay me for arguing why I think XP is better, I'm only saying my opinion and want to know solid facts why people are so crazy over Windows 7.
People are just sharing their opinions too.

It is a fact that it doesn't boot faster, XP boots fastest, Windows 7 shuts down fastest. 7 might boot faster if you've had XP for years straight, I've gone from a clean install of 7 to a clean install of XP and on my i5 XP boots a lot faster.
I repaired my version of xp and took off all startup boot apps that aren't windows essential. I still found 7 to boot a little faster, but hey, if it booted slower I wouldn't care cause it's a better o/s.

You don't have to run BF2 as admin, I didn't and it worked fine, never got kicked by PB.
Haven't been kicked by pb either.

On certain hardware, BF2 and BC2 completely locks up on Windows 7 on every game, it don't on XP.
Ahh, so it's a hardware issue. See, you said it yourself. I've got a new system so maybe your old system is a bit slow with 7. Try an upgrade.

The mouse code is completely different to XP, and it doesn't feel the same even with the "fix" that's just come out, again only picky people notice it, and there's a lot of picky people (just doesn't seem to be any on here).
Oh come now, that's just trolling. Just because people don't experience the same issues as yourself doesn't mean they're somehow not as refined or precise as your fine self.
I'm very picky (I was adjusting my mouse settings by 0.01 of a degree yesterday to get it exactly how I like it) and it feels EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME.

I'm not saying Windows 7 is BAD, to sum up what I think is that 9 years after XP's release, they haven't made any MAJOR improvements, nothing is completely different, networks being faster is a lie, must have had something wrong with your XP, apart from ipv6 built in (which no one will use for years) they haven't changed anything except unlock the max half-open connections, which you can do on XP anyway.
What kind of improvements are you expecting? I'm no technogeek, but I think design and layout is a big one, and they've definitely improved on that.

Some people like the fact there are library features, and shortcuts all over the place, it's not for everyone.
I like a neat desktop and know where to go to navigate around, the first thing I did when I installed 7 was remove all the libraries and shortcut stuff (which is a pain because you have to use reg keys) even then you can't completely disable them.
And once I done that I wasn't left with anything worth talking about except very nice aero effects.
I have 7 shortcuts on my desktop, which is less than xp and I can do more. Maybe I've just taken a bit more time to customise the o/s to how I want it.

For the average home user who wants ease of use and doesn't mind about bloat I'd say Windows 7 would be better, but for me it's not.
I disabled UAC, it's pointless and annoying, yet a supposedly major feature of Windows 7, basically trying to be more like Linux.
Comodo's firewall with defense+ does a much better job than UAC anyway.
Things like scheduled defrag being enabled by default on Windows 7 is annoying, I had to disable all sorts of pointless stuff just to make it clean.
That's what you do when installing everything. Since when has anyone ever stuck to the defaults? Or do you play BF2 in 600x800?
And the"bloat" which you call it, is designed for modern computers who can handle all those little features and enhancements without impacting upon performance. If you're running an older system it's gonna struggle a little.

If you want to call it "bloat" then maybe you should try a DOS based o/s with no graphics to get the most out of your system.

The only 2 real improvements over XP I found with Windows 7 were Aero, and the fact that on the taskbar there is a progress bar on the program tab which makes it easier to see without having to open the program.
To me, you haven't looked hard enough. Everything is more logical in it's layout and easier to manage multiple tasks on the fly (which I do a fair bit).

That is honestly all that is worthwhile on Windows 7 for me, I know everyone's different but that's my opinion
That's cool man, just bear in mind others can offer their opinion too. Like I did just now
H3RB4L ABU53
By hardware I don't mean a slow computer, I mean certain sound cards on a brand new mobo.

About the mouse AGAIN (lol) I'm not trolling, you can say your picky, but read countless forums about people hating the way Windows 7 mouse feels. Maybe it's only very low sens players that notice it
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land

Jaekus wrote:

I have 7 shortcuts on my desktop, which is less than xp and I can do more.
SEVEN???

Fuck man, I have...one - and that's the recycle bin. Everything is done from the start menu and bar at the bottom (where I only have one icon - firefox). It's sooo sexxxy

Windows 7 to me feels better, is faster than XP was at booting and shutting down (Admiteldy the XP wasn't a clean install but still) and just looks much MUCH better.

And there is NO difference with the mouse AT ALL in my experience.

But at the end of the day...meh...it's like arguing Apple vs. Microsoft. People like what they like. I couldn't care less what other people use so long as I'm happy with mine. Which I am cos I luvs Windows 7
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
I had to do an o/s reinstall as it was hanging on bootup because we accidently enabled IDE for the SATA drive... this created an issue where around 45% of the time it would hang. When we tried to change this in the BIOS it would reboot and get caught in a loop. Made sure we got this right on the reinstall and no problems whatsoever

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard