Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Because BF2S isn't here so you can mingle and chat with people you consider awesome. It's for whoever wants to come here and post while following the rules.

To Tazz and Lucien my idea of BF2S (not that it is a particularly influential one, I just think it's a fairly accurate one) is where chuy designed a forum for meaningful, at least moderately intelligent interaction. Not usual internet bullshitting around. Not intensely intellectual and/or exclusive. Classy as far as the internet goes, if you will.

Chat threads are not particularly classy. They are sometimes, but as a whole not particularly. When they are smearing the integrity of the community, they are going to go. It's not a matter of "letting" users have a Chat thread, or "rocking" the boat, it's a matter of keeping the quality of the site where it should be. Of course you guys are always going to see it as administrators vs. community, because it's difficult to see it any other way. It doesn't change the fact that we do these things for the good of the community, not because we're trying to be dicks to anyone or any particular group.

p.s. I'm going to be fucking pissed of EE Chat does get closed, especially if it's because of the spam crap tonight.

Lucien wrote:

"why don't you just leave" is not an argument
It's not an argument for the quality of the community, it's questioning why you feel the need to be a dick. Normally people get out of situations they don't like to be in. That would imply you do like being here, which begs the question why you need to be so unconstructively critical.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6654
I came back to provide some input for BF2's 1.5 patch. I stayed because lots of people I play videogames with still use this site. They are the reason I'm still here despite the reasons I left in the first place being alive and well.

Why should the quality of these forums be anywhere else than where the users want it to be? All this "for the good of the community" crap is just rewording the fact you want a certain kind of discussion, and you'll be damned if the community changes to one that doesn't want what you do. And again, I'm not talking about spam threads.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

It should be where the site owner wants it to be. We (staff) provide feedback, but owe our loyalty to him first.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac

Kmarion wrote:

It should be where the site owner wants it to be.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

I made one but then I deleted it out of empathy.

Fuck it sucks having emotions...
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Can we not agree that bf2s has grown a bit beyond an experiment of Jeff's? While he still runs it and pays for it and all that, a huge part of why this website still exists is the community.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

It would be nice if he gave a definitive stand on that though, I mean sure he might be busy and doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to, but has he ever said anything about how he wants the forums to be?

I always hear mods say things like "what chuy would want", almost like he's dead or something...
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

Dauntless wrote:

It would be nice if he gave a definitive stand on that though, I mean sure he might be busy and doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to, but has he ever said anything about how he wants the forums to be?

I always hear mods say things like "what chuy would want", almost like he's dead or something...
Chuy has commented on these such matters before. What the mods are saying is true.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

He has?

I guess I just never saw then... can anyone find a link?
Flaming_Maniac
If you think the community is more than just BF2S, then move it somewhere else. So long as the domain is bf2s.com, it's chuy's experiment.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Superior Mind wrote:

Can we not agree that bf2s has grown a bit beyond an experiment of Jeff's? While he still runs it and pays for it and all that, a huge part of why this website still exists is the community.
You do have a voice despite er (popular?) opinion. It's not like he goes around without a care for what you guys want. If his intent was purely experimental trackr would still be running.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

If you think the community is more than just BF2S, then move it somewhere else. So long as the domain is bf2s.com, it's chuy's experiment.
I didn't say it was more than bf2s, just that it was a huge part of it. If there wasn't such a strong community what incentive would Jeff have to continue upgrading and improving on his web design skills?
Flaming_Maniac

Superior Mind wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I didn't say it was more than bf2s, just that it was a huge part of it. If there wasn't such a strong community what incentive would Jeff have to continue upgrading and improving on his web design skills?
besides his job?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

besides his job?
I think he would have focused on his other sites rather than this one.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

RIP Chuy
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

Dauntless wrote:

RIP Chuy
He still shows up on IRC every now and then
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
Hey guys, what'd I miss?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hey guys, what'd I miss?
nothing really
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hey guys, what'd I miss?
nothing really
lol'd
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
Considering that I only made this thread as a way to say "Fuck You" to Flaming_Maniac for closing Miggle's ban Finray thread, 69 posts and still somewhat "on-topic" is pretty 1337.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6513|Gold Coast
u wot
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Ioan92
+337|5724
Just what the fuck happened.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin

Ioan92 wrote:

Just what the fuck happened.
Something annoying.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Lucien wrote:

Why should the quality of these forums be anywhere else than where the users want it to be? All this "for the good of the community" crap is just rewording the fact you want a certain kind of discussion, and you'll be damned if the community changes to one that doesn't want what you do. And again, I'm not talking about spam threads.
Someone does own the forum, same as people own clubs and impose dress codes.
They created it, if they want a no riff-raff policy its their choice.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-12-11 22:41:26)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6597|Toronto-Canada
ok gayz, lets go over to Trackr...oh wait

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard