Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

100% voting gives a govt legitimacy.

With turnout ~50% in the US, and the average President getting ~50% of that, 75% of the population didn't want them in office.
A 25% 'For' vote gives them no real legitimacy to pass any law whatsoever.
I agree in some respects, but how legitimate is a vote that is only the result of being forced to do so?...

Democracy is best when it is voluntary, IMHO.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Under the US system practically no President in living memory can claim democratic legitimacy.

Under the Aus system people are allowed to write 'screw you' on the ballot rendering it invalid.
So if the public really didn't like any candidate they wouldn't have to vote for any of them.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Under the US system practically no President in living memory can claim democratic legitimacy.
As defined by the law, it's legitimate.  If someone doesn't vote, they can't really complain too much.

Philosophically, you can claim it's not legitimate, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Under the Aus system people are allowed to write 'screw you' on the ballot rendering it invalid.
So if the public really didn't like any candidate they wouldn't have to vote for any of them.
I still don't think that you're taking into account how people's judgment is affected when they are forced to do something.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

Turquoise wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Australia           95%
Malta           94%
Chile           93%
Austria           92%
Belgium           91%
Italy           90%
Luxembourg     90%
Iceland           89%
New Zealand     88%
Denmark           87%
Germany           86%
Sweden           86%
Greece           86%
Venezuela     85%
Czech Republic     85%
Brazil           83%
Netherlands     83%
Costa Rica     81%
Norway          81%
Romania          81%
Bulgaria          80%
Israel          80%
Portugal          79%
Finland          78%
Canada          76%
France          76%
United Kingdom    76%
South Korea     75%
Ireland          74%
Spain          73%
Japan          71%
Estonia          69%
Hungary          66%
Russia          61%
India          58%
United States     54%
Switzerland     54%
Poland          51%
Voter turnout.
Quality...  not quantity of participation is important.

A voter turnout won't tell you much about the intelligence of your electorate -- it only tells you how active they are.
im REALLY NOT VERY SURE about an american raising this as a CONCERN

the american electorate are shocking when it comes to geopolitical matters... or even basic geography, for that matter
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Dilbert_X wrote:

That's what bogans do.

I'd rather take the US system. Voting should be voluntary, this isn't communist russia lulz.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

the american electorate are shocking when it comes to geopolitical matters... or even basic geography, for that matter
And my assertion is that we're no dumber than anyone else but that we hand microphones to our idiots more often -- and that our idiots have better internet access on average.

If I judged the U.K. by its chavs, I wouldn't get a very good impression either.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

And my assertion is that we're no dumber than anyone else but that we hand microphones to our idiots more often -- and that our idiots have better internet access on average.

If I judged the U.K. by its chavs, I wouldn't get a very good impression either.
good job they're too apathetic to vote... unlike your rednecks with their astute grip on the islam problem and those damn beaners
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

good job they're too apathetic to vote... unlike your rednecks with their astute grip on the islam problem and those damn beaners
Hey, if we're going to trade snipes, at least we don't have as high of a fetal alcohol syndrome problem.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
last time i checked foetal alcohol syndrome wasn't electing leaders of world military superpowers . . .
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

last time i checked foetal alcohol syndrome wasn't electing leaders of world military superpowers . . .
Last time I checked, the U.K. is still one of the world's largest military powers, and Tony Blair wasn't exactly one of your better PMs.

Sure, he was smarter than Bush, but that's not saying much.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
tony blair was a good honest catholic and i dare you to impugn the man's pious code of honour!

he was merely led down the devilish path to sin by that protestant scumbag, bush...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
rednecks > chavs
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

tony blair was a good honest catholic and i dare you to impugn the man's pious code of honour!

he was merely led down the devilish path to sin by that protestant scumbag, bush...
LOL...   But seriously, all I'm saying is that the general public of any nation is going to be a little...  disappointing.  I'd rather have a system where you actually have to take some initiative to vote rather than forcing people to vote who probably shouldn't be voting to begin with.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone

Mekstizzle wrote:

It's compulsory voting, what's the punishment for not voting in Australia anyway? No point bragging on about how great it is when it's compulsory.

You can't say they have no real legitimacy, if someone doesn't want to vote then they themselves have no legitimacy in how the government is working on them, they can't really say anything but they're free to not vote if they don't want to. Also turnout was about 61% in the last US election, those figures from that table are outdated or wrong.
As been said before, it's compulsory to turn up, there is no law to saying you have to vote, there's also no way to ever tell if people have voted correctly because the ballots are secret.

As for the punishments...

AEC wrote:

Initially the Australian Electoral Commission will write to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a reason for their failure to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within 21 days, the apparent non-voter fails to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or declines to pay the penalty, then prosecution proceedings may be instigated. If the matter is dealt with in court and the person is found guilty, he or she may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

LOL...   But seriously, all I'm saying is that the general public of any nation is going to be a little...  disappointing.  I'd rather have a system where you actually have to take some initiative to vote rather than forcing people to vote who probably shouldn't be voting to begin with.
Who determines who should and shouldn't vote? It's a democratic right to vote. Unless you're Hitler I guess.
People having a choice to vote just encourages apathy, and stupidity. Making it compulsory to vote gets people involved and thinking about how the country is run. I know which I'd prefer in my population...
Turquoise
O Canada

Jaekus wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Who determines who should and shouldn't vote? It's a democratic right to vote. Unless you're Hitler I guess.
People having a choice to vote just encourages apathy, and stupidity. Making it compulsory to vote gets people involved and thinking about how the country is run. I know which I'd prefer in my population...
Dude, you missed my point.  What I'm suggesting is that someone who doesn't educate themselves shouldn't be voting.  Yes, everyone has a right to vote, but you do yourself and your country a disservice if you vote in an uninformed manner.

People having a choice to vote is the point of democracy, tbh.  It's a freedom -- not a duty.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
But who determines whom is uninformed?
What measure do you go by here?
If a party really shouldn't be voted in, should they even be allowed to be a political party in the first place?

People on the whole get it right IMO. Most people own televisions and watch a lot of it, or read the papers, or look up stuff online. It's pretty hard to avoid. There's enough information out there for people to have at least a passing knowldege of what the bigger parties are about, and from there they make a decison. It's the political party's responsibility to get their message out there, and they do it pretty well tbh.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Definitely...  but that's why party shouldn't be on the ballot.  Just list out names.  That way, you have to at least be familiar with the individuals you're voting for.
If they can remember a name they can probably remember the associated party.

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Then why institute the compulsory voting to begin with?  It just sounds like a big waste of time for people that don't actually want to vote.
It gives those too lazy to vote no excuse.
Try to quote correctly, I never said that

In response to what I supposedly said though.
It gets people past that "I'm not going to vote just because I can't be bothered going to the polling station". For example, its been proven that voter turnout significantly decreases in the US simply if it is raining on election day. Our laws get people to the polling stations, then they can decide if they want their say, or if they want to register their discontent my not voting. (The number of non-votes are recorded and are a pretty good indication of voter dissatisfaction)
Turquoise
O Canada

Jaekus wrote:

But who determines whom is uninformed?
What measure do you go by here?
If a party really shouldn't be voted in, should they even be allowed to be a political party in the first place?
The level of someone's comprehension of the issues can usually be determined by how much they know about the person they are choosing to vote for and what ideas they have for solving a current problem.

Basically, if you can't logically explain the reasoning behind your vote, then you probably shouldn't vote until you educate yourself more.  That's the sort of criteria I'm talking about.

Jaekus wrote:

People on the whole get it right IMO. Most people own televisions and watch a lot of it, or read the papers, or look up stuff online. It's pretty hard to avoid. There's enough information out there for people to have at least a passing knowldege of what the bigger parties are about, and from there they make a decison. It's the political party's responsibility to get their message out there, and they do it pretty well tbh.
I guess I just have a lot less faith in people in general than you do.  Granted, I am very cynical.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
It's just getting more and more interesting. A mixed government of Labor, Liberal, Green and the Independents??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 … 991520.htm
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
Surprised, Oakeshott didn't strike me as an idealist.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6768
BobKatt = Pauline Hanson
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6222|Brisneyland
Bob Katter is part Afghani from memory, so I wonder what his policy on immigration is?
@ Turq. You say that you should only have to vote if you are reasonably well informed. Does that mean the dopes that think Obama is a Muslim arent allowed to vote? Trust me, compulsory voting doesnt weed out the ill informed.
People I know that dont really care about politics often make some effort before voting to find out some issues. They usually end up with a fair idea. I think compulsory voting is a good thing.

As for Unity govt... it will never work.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
Same, most of my uninformed friends do actually say "yeah I'll make an effort to find a bit about the candidates because I feel bad donkey-voting" - the advantage is that they have no particular party affiliation and are swayed vastly on policy. Avoids the massive ideological war that occurs in other places.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
bakinacake
HA HA
+383|5986|Aus, Qld

Deserves a post.

For those who don't know, the one who gets ripped is the Treasurer.
https://i.imgur.com/LGvbJjT.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard