Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

The number of Americans that have trouble putting food on the table shot up last year in an unprecedented spike to a record 17 million households, the government reported on Monday.

The Department of Agriculture report, which has been released annually since 1995, said the number of Americans that were hungry rose to 14.6%. In 2007, 13 million households or 11.1% of Americans had trouble getting enough food.

The one-year jump is all the more significant, given the number of hungry Americans had never been higher than 11.9% since these surveys began.
http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/16/news/ec … nsecurity/
Still doing better than Africa. o/\o

Can anyone think of any solutions to this or will things just work themselves out? Should Gov intervene or let the free market solve things on it's own?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Macbeth wrote:

The number of Americans that have trouble putting food on the table shot up last year in an unprecedented spike to a record 17 million households, the government reported on Monday.

The Department of Agriculture report, which has been released annually since 1995, said the number of Americans that were hungry rose to 14.6%. In 2007, 13 million households or 11.1% of Americans had trouble getting enough food.

The one-year jump is all the more significant, given the number of hungry Americans had never been higher than 11.9% since these surveys began.

Can anyone think of any solutions to this or will things just work themselves out? Should Gov intervene or let the free market solve things on it's own?
free market > govt. dependency
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Solutions? Don't have kids until you can support them. If you're poor and can barely feed yourself, don't have kids. It's very fucking simple.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5370
bullshit.  wonder how many "hungry" people still bought cigs.....
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

when i go hungry it's usually due to neglecting the clock. ^ i can't argue Red's post, but i think there are alot of Americans going without. 10%+ unemployment  . . .
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

when i go hungry it's usually due to neglecting the clock. ^ i can't argue Red's post, but i think there are alot of Americans going without. 10%+ unemployment  . . .
I've never seen an emaciated bum. They're all fat just like the rest of us. No one in this country is starving.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

JohnG@lt wrote:

I've never seen an emaciated bum.
does that mean there aren't any?

JohnG@lt wrote:

They're all fat just like the rest of us. No one in this country is starving.
"No one" is an absolute term - would you like to keep it? i've donated time and food to the local shelters, and helped with our company's charitable efforts. Thank god i don't live somewhere like Queens, where i'd become blind to human condition . . .
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

They should suck it up, get a job and vote Republican.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5370

ghettoperson wrote:

oh jesus go start your lowing shit somewhere else god fucking dammit.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Red Forman wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I've never seen an emaciated bum.
does that mean there aren't any?

JohnG@lt wrote:

They're all fat just like the rest of us. No one in this country is starving.
"No one" is an absolute term - would you like to keep it? i've donated time and food to the local shelters, and helped with our company's charitable efforts. Thank god i don't live somewhere like Queens, where i'd become blind to human condition . . .
I'm glad I don't live somewhere like where you live where I read about issues other people may be experiencing without ever really experiencing them and then completely overreacting. I grew up poor in a poor neighborhood and even the kids on food stamps weren't starving. Hell, they were cashing in food stamps for dipsy doodles so they could take the money and spend it on other crap. School food programs provide free breakfast and lunch as well. No one is starving that doesn't deserve it.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

I know, wouldn't that be aweful to expect people to actually find a job? Funny how dat laborers can find work without even speaking English 5 minutes from illegally come here, but damned if an American can find one. Oh well.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Red Forman wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing shit? You spend most of your posts agreeing with me, now you call it  "lowing shit"? lol
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I know, wouldn't that be aweful to expect people to actually find a job? Funny how dat laborers can find work without even speaking English 5 minutes from illegally come here, but damned if an American can find one. Oh well.
From what I hear it's very hard to get a legal job without an address. That's why a lot of the time once you're homeless you're pretty screwed.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5370

lowing wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing shit? You spend most of your posts agreeing with me, now you call it  "lowing shit"? lol
no dummy.  the "euros" vs lowing in some stupid mindless circle jerk.  not your fault tbh.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
lowing he really hates your guts and just agress with you to rub the euros the wrong way.  See proof above.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

From what I hear it's very hard to get a legal job without an address. That's why a lot of the time once you're homeless you're pretty screwed.
Not seeing too many illegals being tossed in the klink for not having an address,  or a SS card for that matter.Yet still manage to EARN a paycheck. Next excuse!!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing he really hates your guts and just agress with you to rub the euros the wrong way.  See proof above.
I was wondering how long it was gunna take to find someone on here that hated me, and who it was gunna be.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

Not seeing too many illegals being tossed in the klink for not having an address,  or a SS card for that matter.Yet still manage to EARN a paycheck. Next excuse!!
So you're encouraging illegal work?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Red Forman wrote:

lowing wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

no dummy.  the "euros" vs lowing in some stupid mindless circle jerk.  not your fault tbh.
oh.....sorry I blew up
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Nope, I am saying if Americans would look for work as hard as illegals did, they would find it. instead of googling the nearest welfare office.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nope, I am saying if Americans would look for work as hard as illegals did, they would find it. instead of googling the nearest welfare office.
Ok, but there should be a way for homeless people to get legal work, having to go illegal is bullshit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Ok, but there should be a way for homeless people to get legal work, having to go illegal is bullshit.
A legal citizen doing legal work is not illegal. They also wouldn'e be homeless if they got a fuckin' job. Or are you saying I need tobuy him a house first instead of him buying his own

Last edited by lowing (2009-11-16 15:23:36)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

JohnG@lt wrote:

. . . read about issues other people may be experiencing without ever really experiencing them and then completely overreacting.
so by donating my time and efforts, and canned food at other times, i'm 'over-reacting'?

JohnG@lt wrote:

I grew up poor in a poor neighborhood and even the kids on food stamps weren't starving. Hell, they were cashing in food stamps for dipsy doodles so they could take the money and spend it on other crap. School food programs provide free breakfast and lunch as well. No one is starving that doesn't deserve it.
doesn't disprove my second statement, rather helps validate it.

so you say "i'm reading about issues". no way bro, i left home at sixteen, finished high school and got a job on my own, slept where i could and spent alot of time with homeless people. because i was one.
i put myself through college on Pell grants and work, and wrote a thesis on "Homelessness; How the United States neglects it's poor".
read about it?I wrote about it. and today i try to do something about it. today i'm glad the military wasn't an option (i'm 4F) so i had to do it alone.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

A legal citizen doing legal work is not illegal. They also wouldn'e be homeless if they got a fuckin' job. Or are you saying I need tobuy him a house first instead of him buying his own
But as I understand it, it's not simply a case of walking in somewhere and getting a job. Unless you find someone who wants to employ you illegally and pay you in cash. Whether you are a legal citizen or not, it's still not legal.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard