lrishpride
+68|5303
Oh fuck off Zimmer. Doing anything is doing better than nothing.

Just because I don't know that XXX studies have found that not performing cardio pre-workout showed less progress than XXX. Fuck off.

I always run/swim on a Saturday cause I got so much time, and I never feel tired after it so I always head to the gym.

Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for other people.

You're starting to sound like Uzique, fuck off.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6911|Scotland

lrishpride wrote:

Oh fuck off Zimmer. Doing anything is doing better than nothing.

Just because I don't know that XXX studies have found that not performing cardio pre-workout showed less progress than XXX. Fuck off.

I always run/swim on a Saturday cause I got so much time, and I never feel tired after it so I always head to the gym.

Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for other people.

You're starting to sound like Uzique, fuck off.
No Irish. Shut the fuck up and stop dirtying this thread. You're a waste of space here and nobody actually cares how your workout is going or what you're doing - because you know fuck all.

No, I won't fuck off because I can actually help people in this thread, whereas you cannot.

It's not about studies you fuckwit, it's common sense. You do strength training before cardio because you use your muscles a lot more - so if you do cardio first you're wasting your time doing strength training.

It's not about working for me or not, it's also not about working for different people. We all have the same anatomy and you just lack the brains to figure that out.

I'm tired of your shit in this thread. Next time you post something useless here it's getting deleted.

Good luck trying to build muscle, because you're gonna fail miserably. I've done this for long enough to know what I'm talking about, as has sonder and baggs. All we want to do is help, and we have, but not with you. You're a stubborn little child who thinks he's always right and listens to nobody. Grow the fuck up and start taking advice when it's given - because it's something you can't afford to miss in life.
lrishpride
+68|5303
I'll continue exercising in a way that I enjoy. To me it's better than following some nazi program that dictates that I'm only allowed perform certain exercises on certain days/times.

I do respect your opinion Zimmer and I do take a lot from what you have to say to the gym. But I enjoy my workouts, and I intend to keep them that way, otherwise I won't be doing it all!
lrishpride
+68|5303
Week 2 column 3 DAY 1 complete, MAX @ 42.

Improvement from last week. Could of pushed out 50 if I wasn't out binge drinking/eating last night.

http://www.pushupslogger.com/plog/show_user/105202

Last edited by lrishpride (2010-05-31 04:28:54)

lrishpride
+68|5303
Chest & Biceps done;

Pre-workout: 3 scoops Whey protein + banana

3 X barbell benchpress - 54KG (10 reps/set)
3 X dumbbell flyes - 16KG (10 reps/set)
2 X CORE (30 reps/set)
3 X dumbbell benchpress  - 25KG (10 reps/set)
3 X incline dumbbell benchpress - 22KG (10 reps/set)
1 X press-ups MAX(FAIL) (19 achieved)
2 X CORE (30 reps/set)
2 X curls - 15KG (20 reps/set)
2 X hammer curls - 14KG (20 reps/set)
2 X CORE (30 reps/set)
2 X concentrated curls - 12KG (20 reps/set)
2 X barbell curls - 30KG (20 reps/set)
1 X pull-ups MAX(FAIL) (9 achieved)
1 X plank MAX (FAIL) (2 minutes achieved)

Time taken: 60 minutes

Post-workout: Dinner - Ham and cabbage with potatoes, good proper nutritious meal.

I was happy enough with the workout, keep in mind I did my Day 1, Week 2 of the 100 Push-Up Challenge this morning, maxed out at 42.

Any thoughts?

E: The core workouts involved 2 sets of 30 reps with no break in-between of either decline bench leg raises, crunches, alternating crunches, side crunches, declined bench Russian Twists, and numerous other core exercises I found to get the results I wanted quickly.

Last edited by lrishpride (2010-05-31 13:13:58)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6911|Scotland

A few points

- Hammer curls should normally be heavier than normal curls. You can always lift more in the hammer position.
- Try doing 3 sets of FAIL on both pressups and pull ups. 1 set is not enough.
- Too many curls. You only need 1 workout of barbell curls and 1 of hammer. No need to add in extra dumbbell curls. Barbell are the best you can do.
- WAY too many reps per set on barbell. It should be 12 reps and 3 sets. Not 2 and 20. That's crazy.

Points on your nutrition
- That pre-workout meal should be post workout. Not before. Simple carbohydrates to be taken pre workout, or a workout boost. Not protein - it gets ingested after a workout.
- Your dinner is not sufficient nor is it incredibly nutritious. Bin the potatoes, double your portion of ham and cabbage.
lrishpride
+68|5303

Zimmer wrote:

A few points

- Hammer curls should normally be heavier than normal curls. You can always lift more in the hammer position.
- Too many curls. You only need 1 workout of barbell curls and 1 of hammer. No need to add in extra dumbbell curls. Barbell are the best you can do.
- WAY too many reps per set on barbell. It should be 12 reps and 3 sets. Not 2 and 20. That's crazy.

Points on your nutrition
- That pre-workout meal should be post workout. Not before. Simple carbohydrates to be taken pre workout, or a workout boost. Not protein - it gets ingested after a workout.
- Your dinner is not sufficient nor is it incredibly nutritious. Bin the potatoes, double your portion of ham and cabbage.
Yes, that is some advice I can and will take on board. Next time I'll just stick to the barbell for the curls with 3 sets of 12 reps as you said. I don't have an EZ bar though, so perhaps I should stick with the dumbbells no?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6911|Scotland

lrishpride wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

A few points

Points on your nutrition
Yes, that is some advice I can and will take on board. Next time I'll just stick to the barbell for the curls with 3 sets of 12 reps as you said. I don't have an EZ bar though, so perhaps I should stick with the dumbbells no?
No, when I say Barbell curls are the best, I mean barbell not EZ. They are the greatest way to get big and strong biceps if done properly (body upgright, bent knees, totally stationary except for bicep movement). EZ just makes it slightly easier to target certain muscle parts of the bicep - more specifcally, the inner and the outer, by doing wide and close grip reps. Barbell is the best, not dumbell.
SamTheMan
­
+341|5296|Stoke, England

Zimmer wrote:

To the rest of the guys, what are your thoughts? Do you want something that contains all the info you'd like about working out?
Say something like
- Diet
- Goals
- Exercises
- Tips how to do exercises properly
- Get stronger
- Get leaner
- Workout Regimes
- Vital information

And so on.
Opinions?
hey Zimmer, did you ever get round to doing anything like this? would be a big help. cheers
lrishpride
+68|5303
Roger. Considering you do such a small amount of sets for your biceps would you recommend doing them pretty much every session?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6467

SamTheMan wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

To the rest of the guys, what are your thoughts? Do you want something that contains all the info you'd like about working out?
Say something like
- Diet
- Goals
- Exercises
- Get stronger
- Get leaner
- Workout Regimes
- Vital information

And so on.
Opinions?
hey Zimmer, did you ever get round to doing anything like this? would be a big help. cheers
This would be awesome. Maybe make it the first 4 or 5 posts of the thread (if it'll be in a separate thread) so you can link to certain sections.

Irish: less reps + heavier weight, you won't need to do them every workout.

Last edited by ebug9 (2010-05-31 14:31:42)

lrishpride
+68|5303

ebug9 wrote:

SamTheMan wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Say something like
- Diet
- Goals
- Exercises
- Get stronger
- Get leaner
- Workout Regimes
- Vital information

And so on.
Opinions?
This would be awesome. Maybe make it the first 4 or 5 posts of the thread (if it'll be in a separate thread) so you can link to certain sections.

Thanks dude.

I'd be happy to edit the OP with Zimmers master guide.

I'm gonna hit the biceps twice a week, 3 sets of 12 barbell and a few dumbbell concentrated curls.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6814|The darkside of Denver
One week into my "on season" program. Switched my diet up (basically going keto), lifting 3 x 12, post weight cardio. Fucking shocked my body, in a good way though.

Examples:

Breakfast:
2 scoops ON whey
hour or so later four egg whites two yolks
Lunch:
6-8oz chicken breast meat some broccoli, about an ounce or so of pepperjack cheese
Afternoon:
one can chunk tuna with franks red hot sauce (no carbs lo sodium)
Late Afternoon:
1/2 lb 96/4 ground beef with broccoli and low sodium soy sauce
Evening:
Post workout shake
Dinner:
6-8oz chicken breast with spinach and one cap cesar dressing.

Example lift (shoulders)
seated dumbell presses
-12 reps at 75lbs, 80lbs, 85lb
front lateral raises (simultaneous left/right)
12 reps at 30 for three sets
incline side lateral raises
12 reps at 20 for two sets, 25 for last
wide grip upright rows w/ EZ bar (actually still pyramid here)
12 at 25lb plates, 10 at 35, 8 at 45 (again, plates on each side not total)
Barbell Shrugs (high rep pyramid)
12 reps at 225lbs, 10 reps at 275lbs, 10 reps at 315lbs, 8 reps at 405lbs
seated military press
3 x 12 at 135lbs

30 min of cardio
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5919|Belgium
Sexy Sonder

Exams starting next week, so I can only workout at home for 3-4 more weeks. Doing pushups; last night was week 2 - day 2
http://www.pushupslogger.com/plog/overv … _id=410087

23 max after 4 sets.
@Irish: how do you manage to do MORE reps in your max set than your initial test, after already being exhausted by the 4 previous sets? Beats me...
lrishpride
+68|5303

Jebus wrote:

Sexy Sonder

Exams starting next week, so I can only workout at home for 3-4 more weeks. Doing pushups; last night was week 2 - day 2
http://www.pushupslogger.com/plog/overv … _id=410087

23 max after 4 sets.
@Irish: how do you manage to do MORE reps in your max set than your initial test, after already being exhausted by the 4 previous sets? Beats me...
No idea dude. I did the initial test after the day after a heavy chest workout. And my Day 1, week 2 I had 2 days rest workout-free prior to it.

I'll record it if you don't believe me

And I was hardly exhausted mate. The 4 sets where sets of 14, 14, 10 and 10... (column 3, day 1, week 2)

Last edited by lrishpride (2010-06-01 05:00:57)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6911|Scotland

ebug9 wrote:

Now, we could get into a debate about "less reps heavier weight" thingy... That's not exactly correct.

I'll clarify:

There are 3 ways of doing an exericse
1. 3 sets of either 9,10,11,12 reps
2. 4-5 sets of pyramid reps = 12,10,8,8 - increasing the weight each time : This is what Sonder does/did
3. 5x5 strength training

Now, to clarify using the numbers in the above list:

1 is for maximising muscle size, not strength. It's called muscle hypertrophy and it's what you want if you want to aim for total toning and size. You usually do reps of 75% your max weight (any more and you wont manage)

2 is for a bit of both. It strengthens your muscle and adds size to it as well. It wont tone, but it will add size and strength due to the constant over exertion of your muscles on each set as you increase the weight

3 is for the ultimate way on increasing strength - 5x5 should bbe done at about 90-95% your max lift weight. Your stregnth increases can be noted by the ease of being able to put on more weight over week/couple of weeks.

Studies show that if you start off with muscle hypertrophy and move through 2 and 3 in a 12 week period (4 weeks per exercise programme) you'll optimise your muscles. Doing it the other way round may cause a negative effect on the strength and size.

So to come back to your point eBug - That's only if Irish is wanting pure strength, which I know isn't his goal. So for him, a less heavy weight and more reps will do the trick.

There are lots of other studies (more importantly, Tom Venutos book) that say you can do 1 or max 2 sets of exercises and focus solely on getting it right, but I haven't put them to the test yet.

@Irish - No, you want to hit the biceps once a week. People keep having the misconception that the more you train your arms, the bigger they'll get. Wrong. Your biceps are one of the muscles that need the most time to recover, so if you start overtraining them, all you're going to do is make them worse (I know, I did this when I started out).

This is my current bicep workout
- 3x12 Barbell curls
- 3x10/12 alternating hammer curls
- 3x10 (or when I fail) chin ups (VITAL FOR BUILDING BICEPS. One of the greatest exercises for your biceps, learn to do it properly and you have a winner here)
- 3x8 EZ close grip curls
- 3x10 Preachers (optional, I don't do these every week, I alternate between EZ and preacher sometimes)

Try and "feel" the bicep tensing, that's the best way of figuring out how well you're doing the exercise.

As for the workout post. I'm away at a wedding from tomorrow onwards, but I will try my best to get it done when I'm back.

@ Sonder - Sweet man, loving the workout and diet. I'm currently one meal under your 7, but I believe it's going to have to be 8 by the end of the week. I'm starting to get hungry again.
SonderKommando

Zimmer wrote:

@ Sonder - Sweet man, loving the workout and diet. I'm currently one meal under your 7, but I believe it's going to have to be 8 by the end of the week. I'm starting to get hungry again.
Yeah, I feel ya man.  Even with the eating I'm on now I find myself starving between meals.  Especially from the time I get off work to my post workout shake and meal.  I'm glad you commented on teh workout, I was looking forward to your feedback.  I still cant get away from pyramids on some of the exercises. I feel like if I dont lift heavy at some point I wont get bigger, guess its the bravado taking over.

I'll post the rest of it later (legs, chest, arms, back, abs etc).  My wife actually writes the workout plan during the day and we do it together, so its always kinda changing.

I got a great bicep workout for ya zim.  Take an incline bench at 45 degrees with teh bottom tail thingy up at a decent angle as well.  While sitting in the bench hold your legs up and straight out, this will basically put your body at a 90 degree angle in the bench.  Then do simultaneous dumb bell curls in towards your shoulders.  Its hard to explain this lol, so see pic as a reference (granted he is standing and not in a bench)
https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/exerciseImages/sequences/190/Male/m/190_2.jpg
Keeping your legs out gives you an interesting center of mass and engages your core while the sensation of the arm curl feels so complete this way, I dunno, I did these last week and it gave me an insane pump.  Use a light weight and do slow concentrated reps.  They are a good finisher.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-06-01 07:10:23)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5919|Belgium
Man Zimmer, you sure know you're stuff, I guess you'll never cease to amaze me :p

By the way, what's your opinion on 4x8, because I used that amount of sets/reps a few months back on pretty much 75% of my exercises..
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5943|Catherine Black

Finray wrote:

Signing up to the gym later today.
Okay I did actually sign up (a week later) and I'm gonna go down in a few mins. Thinking of jogging down (probably ten minute jog) to warm up, then another 10 mins on the tredmill and then 10 mins on a cycling machine, totaling 30 mins (the minimum required to see an improvement in cardiovascular endurance (fuck you Higher P.E for engraving that in my mind)). Then just some low-weight high-rep dumbbell workouts. Whatcha think? First time I've been to the gym in, pff, 3 years? Sounds like an okay start to me.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
SonderKommando
I think it'll help for you to go into the gym with a workout plan for weight training.  You might find yourself overwhelmed or wandering.. Put together a training schedule with the cornucopia of gym knowledge in this thread, or visit bodybuilding.com click on supersite on teh welcome portal and then exercises on the side navigation bar.  Simply click on the muscle group you wanna train and bobs your uncle!

You can do one group or combine groups.  For example, Chest and Tri's,  back and bi's, Legs should get its own day, and I dunno, shoulders and abs. Or pick one group and concentrate on that like I do, ie arms, chest, back, shoulders, legs, abs.

Do 3 x 12 sets at a moderate weight.  It shouldnt be too easy, you should be feeling the last two to three reps.

Screw the cycling machine, if youre gonna use a bike in the gym use a spin bike
https://www.fitness-superstore.ca/images/B180MAIN.jpg 
Take a spin class if your gym has one.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-06-01 08:37:04)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
What's the difference between a spin bike and a normal bike machine?
SonderKommando

Finray wrote:

What's the difference between a spin bike and a normal bike machine?
the spin bike is MUCH harder for starters.  Its much more akin to riding a real bike IMO as well.  It feels more fluid even at higher resistances and I personally feel the cardiovascular workout on a spin bike is much more superior than a regular exercise bike.

its hard to put into words, once you try both you'll see. Spin is pretty popular so most average gyms will have a them.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-06-01 08:39:55)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Fair enough. I'm 90% sure they don't have them though, it's a pretty small gym. Split into two rooms, one has weights and weight machines and the other room is mainly CRE work. Three treadmills, two cycle bikes, two recumbent cycle bikes, bench press, three rowing machines and some stupid ass lady spacewalker things.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6507|Troy, New York

ebug9 wrote:

SamTheMan wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Say something like
- Diet
- Goals
- Exercises
- Get stronger
- Get leaner
- Workout Regimes
- Vital information

And so on.
Opinions?

I would love some information about diet, some sort of an easy basic diet that could be easily altered for calories would be amazing. I know thats probably not doable, but it would be awesome.

EDIT:
At finray, check out this thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea … =117801461
Third post down has some basic weight lifting programs that might be a good bet for you.

Last edited by h4hagen (2010-06-01 08:57:09)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Back from the gym. Haven't felt this good in yeeaaars. Everything hurts, in a good way

Did what I said I would, started with a 10 min jog on the treadmill, then 5 mins on the rowing machine. Went through to weights, worked pecs then triceps/pecs, then abs, then biceps. 3-5 sets of 5 on each, moderate weight. Went back through to cardio room, did a 10 minute interval training session on a recumbent bike machine. Had a shower, went home. Sauna wasn't on

Overall time spent working, about an hour and a bit. Drank about 1.5L of fluid, starting with Lucozade sport isotonic crap, which I refilled twice with water. Came home to pizza, probably gonna crack open a tin of tuna if I'm still hungry.

feelsgoodman.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard