Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

m3thod wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

So I'm resting my arm. I tried to get back into lifting and it just got fucked even more.

I'll be buying a bench soon enough and just be doing benchpress and squats due to the fact that I cannot put any strain on my left arm anymore. I can't currently do squats as I don't have a squats bar and I need to lift the barbell from the floor which just destroys my arm.

I'll need to head to the physio soon because of this. I have no idea what's wrong but it doesn't seem to be improving.
Just use dumbells instead of the olympic bar?

dumbell squats
bulgarian split squat
overhead squat (hold plate above head)
dumbell lunges

etc
No, it's not like that. I can't put any weight on my left arm, at all. It's the process of lifting the dumbbells from the floor and then putting them back down that puts a strain on my palmaris longus and fucks it even more. I can't hold anything heavy with my arms unless I'm merely gripping it and it's at my sides. I just need to wait it out and let it get better. Doesn't make a difference if its with dumbbells or the olympic bar.

Oh, and @ Jebus... That's probably one of the best sites for stuff like that. It really is an incredible resource.
Home
Section.80
+447|6855|Seattle, Washington, USA

Zimmer wrote:

Home wrote:

Alright so I recently gained some weight so that I'm not so scrawny and I've moved on to the point where I'm focusing more on lifting/becoming fit. I lift now, but not as regularly as I'd like (probably averages out to 2-3 times a week) so I'm going to try to get more dedicated. I have a few questions.

1. Diet. I've read the diets of some other guys in this thread, but I probably don't burn enough calories to eat the mammoth amounts that guys like Sonder eat. So how important is diet? What sort of food should I be trying to eat? As of right now, I usually eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a turkey sandwich (with chips, etc) at lunch, and dinner is pretty much whatever the fam eats. So I could definitely use a few pointers.

2. Supplements. Right now, I drink a protein shake after every workout, and that is the extent of my supplementation. What else would you suggest? (Keep in mind I'm probably not at the level that I need pre-workout energy drinks.) When should I take protein? I've been considering starting Creatine in a couple weeks if I can keep the lifting schedule on point, any suggestions/advice on that?

That's about it for now. The tennis season starts in a week, which should allow me to consume more calories. I'm worried about being too lazy to lift and go to tennis practice everyday though.
I suggest an All-in-one shake post-workout. Something like Phd Nutrition ISO-7 or Optimum Nutrition AfterMax which will give you all the supplements you need after workout. Including creatine. You can go for Creatine Capsules + protein shake, but it's going to cost you more money for the same effect (probably worse because it's not balanced properly). Also, do NOT load creatine. There are lots of articles out there that tell you you should load your creatine for 1-2 weeks (20g a day) for your body to get a supply of it... It's bullshit and will do more damage than good. No more than 5g of Creatine a day. Ever.

You should have a pure protein shake in the morning, that or 3 eggs. Always a good start to the day (and breakfast of course) and that's already a good 30g of protein at the start of the day.

There is no "level" for pre-workout energy drinks. They will actually help you quite a bit because you'll lift more with them, added to the fact that most of them contain 50% of your creatine intake, and then you take the other 50% afterwards (all all-in-one shakes are "meant" to be taken twice a day). It's entirely up to you, but it will give you a massive boost.

Other than that, you don't need any other supplements.

As for diet - Remove anything you that isn't healthy (like chips) and replace it with something with protein. Try and have either oats or eggs in the morning; chicken for lunch and something fatty (good fat - lipids, not carb fat) for dinner. Snack in between with small sandwiches and the sort. I don't follow a very strict diet, but I make sure my protein intake is always good and never eat shit like chocolate bars and stuff (of course, I'll treat myself when I'm out and stuff). Diet only gets very very important when you're trying to reduce body fat and get a totally lean but muscly body - it's more directed for serious serious body builders. A healthy diet is good enough.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into it.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6164|Vancouver | Canada

m3thod wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

So I'm resting my arm. I tried to get back into lifting and it just got fucked even more.

I'll be buying a bench soon enough and just be doing benchpress and squats due to the fact that I cannot put any strain on my left arm anymore. I can't currently do squats as I don't have a squats bar and I need to lift the barbell from the floor which just destroys my arm.

I'll need to head to the physio soon because of this. I have no idea what's wrong but it doesn't seem to be improving.

dumbell squats
bulgarian split squat
dumbell lunges

etc
Is there a "best" way to do dumbbell squats?

I hold them kind of like a barbell, but with the ends resting on my shoulder.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

DefCon-17 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

dumbell squats
bulgarian split squat
dumbell lunges

etc
Is there a "best" way to do dumbbell squats?

I hold them kind of like a barbell, but with the ends resting on my shoulder.
That is correct.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6560|Scotland
Bump guys... BUUUUMP

We need more posts!

In related news however, got my home gym setup at my temp home. Will try and post a pic soon.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
Hey guys, since this week I've been hitting the gym three times and occasionally I'll be able to go 4 times a week.

However, I still do the same workout which isn't that great really

Is this good for 3 different days?

A) Legs & Shoulders/Traps
B) Biceps/Forearms & Back
C) Triceps and Chest

Abs every workout. I don't think I'm forgetting anything + what should I be doing the occasional fourth day, just cardio?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
I do:
legs & back (back is very minimal, squats and deadlift for the legs do both anyway)
Biceps & shoulders
tricep & chest
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK
60% of all your muscles are in your legs and back.   Shouldn't be slacking in the back area.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
yeah, a lot of the exercises you do for legs extend to your back as well though. the only exercise im doing thats only my back is that one where u lie on ur belly and do a reverse situp
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
Okay, I think I'll go with the back suggestion then

A: Legs/Back
B: Biceps/Forearms & Shoulders/Traps
C: Chest & Triceps (maybe Forearms here instead)

Abs before and after every workout.

I need some suggestions for the Shoulder/Traps workout though, so far I've been doing :

Front Raises
Side/Lateral Raise
Seated Militairy Press (still not sure if I should do this behind or in front of the head, I usually switch around) / Shoulder Press
Arnold Press
Barbell Upright Row

& for Traps
Bar/Dumbbel Shrugs

Last edited by Jebus (2010-03-10 07:18:48)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6560|Scotland
I know it's been posted before, but to those bored of their abs routine. Try this out.

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Make sure that with your chest workout you ALWAYS do triceps after chest... If you don't it's an entirely pointless workout day...

Why do you think it's a bad workout Jebus? Sounds fine to me
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
I wasn't certain and since asking never hurts...
Anyway, thanks for the help, it's workout B tomorrow.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5761|Roma
I've been going to the gym for a year and now i've stopped and started taking Krav Maga classes.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6667|The darkside of Denver
Update: still mr mclargrhuge. Workouts going well, up to 208lbs. Gonna start leaning down for summer in two weeks
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6164|Vancouver | Canada

aerodynamic wrote:

I've been going to the gym for a year and now i've stopped and started taking Krav Maga classes.
Ooh I want to try that.

Only thing I'm afraid of is the possibility of my local KM place being on of those "cash in on the popular", instead of teaching the real thing..
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5761|Roma

DefCon-17 wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Ooh I want to try that.

Only thing I'm afraid of is the possibility of my local KM place being on of those "cash in on the popular", instead of teaching the real thing..
Oh man, I've got a really nice instructor, he was in the Carabinieri force and is a really nice guy. I've also stopped going to the gym since the class has a lot of exercise involved.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2010-03-10 10:29:50)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
What do you guys do for Triceps & Chest?

This is how my C workout looks like:

Warm-up Bench Press
Regular Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Incline Flyes
Regular Flyes
Regular Dumbbel Presses
to finish of those pec deck fly things, w/ cables

Triceps
Cable deck - pulling a straight bar down (not sure how it's called)
Pulling "Triceps rope" down
Over the head barbell raises (Skull Crushers, French ..?)
Dips between two seats/..

Regular dips to finish chest/triceps workout.
All 4x8 (except warm up)

Last edited by Jebus (2010-03-10 22:23:53)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
seems like too many exercises to me.

Also do the machine ones after the freeweights, use the machine to burnout your muscle.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK
stimulate not obliterate.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
Allrighty then.

By the way, does anyone have some awsm songs that will pump up my work out?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Rainy Monday - Shiny Toy Guns

Jebus, you're doing too many exercises. Concentrate more on your technique and speed and control rather than the number of reps + exercises you do... Do maybe 3-5 of the exercises you mentioned and try and do them very slowly for the last few reps. It will take you up to 1 hour workout.

It's also good to alternate for your Chest exercises. Rather than
Reg Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Incline Flys

Do
Reg Bench Press
Incline Flys
Incline Bench Press

I've been solely doing core workout and abs for the last 2 weeks and I'll post a pic of abs tomorrow; to show how easy it is to develop with a simple 8-9 minute exercise every day.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
All right. I'll keep those tips in mind. The thing is I could finish that workout in a good hour, doing all those exercises with pretty heavy weights (for me)
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Again, not your aim. Aim for 45 minutes of truly intense workout then. It will be more beneficial, guaranteed. You don't need an hour workout.

What are you benching? Kg please.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
I don't know what my max is, but I usually do 4x8 with 40KG total. Keep in mind that in september I benched with no weights added at all.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard