Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5693|Toronto

Jaekus wrote:

He will see some strength gains and some increased endurance but he won't really get a lot stronger or pack on muscle as the fundamental thing about weight training is progressive overload, which is very hard to do with just bodyweight and a couple pairs of fixed weight dumbells beyond a certain point. But it's certainly much better than doing nothing at all.
I think you missed the entire reasoning in his post...by a mile.

He's looking to avoid deteriorating at an unreasonable rate. Should the elderly not swim because they're not packing on muscle?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5329|Sydney
Another plus with those is once you get good say on 10kg for say bicep curls, you can use the plates from the other dumbbell to continue increasing the weight and do them one arm at a time.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney

Pochsy wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

He will see some strength gains and some increased endurance but he won't really get a lot stronger or pack on muscle as the fundamental thing about weight training is progressive overload, which is very hard to do with just bodyweight and a couple pairs of fixed weight dumbells beyond a certain point. But it's certainly much better than doing nothing at all.
I think you missed the entire reasoning in his post...by a mile.

He's looking to avoid deteriorating at an unreasonable rate. Should the elderly not swim because they're not packing on muscle?
Ok I did miss that. Just from some of the pics he has posted in the past he looks quite fit and healthy and I would assume he is a long way from deterioration.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6889|Toronto | Canada

Jaekus wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

unfortunately the past 2 months would prove you wrong. but hey, your opinion.

the ab wheel thing is super gimmicky i agree, but i bought it as a laugh for like $10 a long time ago.  im really not going to buy one of those adjustable weight ones, theyre like $400 used on craigslist, i dont have anywhere near that money to spend.  i have been looking through used sites for 20-30lbs ones for about a month now but nothing has popped up.
I wasn't really meaning those awesome but super expensive ones. I was thinking along the lines of something like this:

They're around $70 here in Australia, so I guess the price would be similar or cheaper in Canada.
if a half decent sports store existed around here id try, but there literally isnt a single good, cheap one in downtown toronto. and havent seen anything on craigslist recently either.

and ya ^, i like my ~165lbs weight, not looking to bulk just tone and stuff. more of a runners body than a weightlifters

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2012-10-15 18:55:32)

Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
It's pretty hard to bulk lol, believe me I've been trying some muscle gains and strength increases to be sure but it takes a long time.

That sucks about the lack of sports stores. And I didn't mean to be a smartarse, I just see dilbert post in here with his troll posts and in my half asleep state thought you were taking the piss. Apologies.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

ive trained with with olympic athletes for about 5 years and my old running coach was team canada's coach. im not new to athletics
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6561|'Murka

I'm not sure how someone "not new to athletics" thinks working out while reading is going to provide much benefit.

Makes it nearly impossible to put out the effort required--even if it's just cardio. Can't imagine lifting while reading. You're probably much better off just to set the reading aside for 30 min - 1 hour and focusing your attention on a workout. Get your heart rate up and whatnot. Better for your health in many ways.

You can do that with a single 40lb dumbbell and bodyweight exercises pretty easily.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6821|UK
^this

full body workout 45-60 mins 3/4 days a week is all you need.  as many compound moves you can fit in, stimulate not obliterate.

lifting weights is the easy bit, it's the dedication to taking on the right nutrition for the particular time of day is the hard bit

30% gym 70% diet.

Last edited by m3thod (2012-10-15 19:09:45)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

again, because its been working so far.  theres been a noticeable difference plus im still easily able to do my readings.  it actually works out really well since it keeps me awake and alert when id normally fall asleep reading boring material

it is reading off a large computer screen, not a book.  i couldnt imagine reading off of a book while working out

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2012-10-15 19:12:22)

Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney

Winston_Churchill wrote:

again, because its been working so far.  theres been a noticeable difference plus im still easily able to do my readings.  it actually works out really well since it keeps me awake and alert when id normally fall asleep reading boring material

it is reading off a large computer screen, not a book.  i couldnt imagine reading off of a book while working out
See, when I made my first post in this conversation I had this visual of you leaning back in an arm chair with a book in one hand and a dumbbell in the other
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yes, if you normally do nothing, doing something will create improvement over the status quo. But you will reach a plateau much earlier, and won't have enough intensity/focus/variation to break through the plateau and continue improving.

So...doing something is better than doing nothing. But I wouldn't call doing some curls while reading (book or large screen monitor) a "work out."

But again--good on you for doing something.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Hey Feos, how long did it take you to get to a 300lb bench and is that a 1RM? Even my PT can't quite do that much; he said his 1RM is 117.5KG - around 260lbs.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-10-15 22:32:47)

FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

I didn't do a max lift before I started, so it's hard to say. I've been training like this for about four months now. I'm guessing my 1RM was above 250, since I weigh about 240 and do push-ups all the time (knowing that the amount being "pushed up" isn't the same as the body weight).
― Albert Einstein

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6341|Roma
I want a pic, man
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
That's impressive. My current 1RM is 165

Feel like I've been kinda two steps forward and one step back the past couple years. Since I've started the Leangains approach though I've improved my form on squats, deadlifts and bench, and increased reps at the same time, all whilst losing weight. Feeling really positive about it.
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

PrivateVendetta wrote:

I want a pic, man
https://i.imgur.com/Zkf6o.jpg
― Albert Einstein

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4992|Amsterdam

FEOS wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

I want a pic, man
A strong abdomen to support the heaviest of lifts. Wide pecs, enabling him to do flyes wider than your mum's vag (he probably benches your 1RM deadlift). Strong forearms, thick wrist (that's some good girth gains right there), obviously has a strong grip; he doesn't need any straps or gloves like some pussy. I don't even think I need to elaborate on his legs, those beasts speak for themselves.

Overall FEOS, I think you're jealous of this fine primate. And rightfully so
this vocabulary is so colorful
LittleBitchy
I hope Hell has wi-fi.
+150|5610|Yeah, there :)
Has anyone of you tried the Insanity workout 60 day program?
Fall seven times. Stand up eight.
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Kampframmer wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

I want a pic, man
A strong abdomen to support the heaviest of lifts. Wide pecs, enabling him to do flyes wider than your mum's vag (he probably benches your 1RM deadlift). Strong forearms, thick wrist (that's some good girth gains right there), obviously has a strong grip; he doesn't need any straps or gloves like some pussy. I don't even think I need to elaborate on his legs, those beasts speak for themselves.

Overall FEOS, I think you're jealous of this fine primate. And rightfully so
I don't use gloves or straps; and my grip is amazing...at least on my right hand. I HAVE been away from my wife for nearly 5 months, you know.
― Albert Einstein

Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
I think I'm liking this leangains workout and diet. RPT is something I'm enjoying, and I'm finding the fasting a cinch.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6843
You all should try making chia running food and eat it before your workouts. I've been trying it and it is a godsend.

http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/chia- … emium.html

To make "running food:"

Toast a table spoon of seeds in a pan. Then mill them into a powder. Mix into a cup or so of water and stir. Wait about 10-20 minutes and it will turn into a gel with a mild nutty flavor. Drink that shit and feel the power.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4992|Amsterdam
I've reached 161lbs once again, this time without taking creatine. I lost little over 5lbs of waterweight after I stopped taking it, which I have now regained in muscle mass. Once i hit 165lbs I will probably start taking creatine again to get to 176lbs. I think that when I've reached that weight I'll finally stop bulking as hard as I am right now (lower the calories from 3500 to 3000) or just do a cut before resuming my regular diet. However, nothing is set in stone; i take it one step at a time
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
How can you tell your body composition to the nearest couple pounds?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4992|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

How can you tell your body composition to the nearest couple pounds?
I took the kg amount, converted it and then rounded it up. It gives some odd numbers. In metric I now weigh 73kg, want to do creatine at 75 and will slow down at 80

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-10-24 00:52:54)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard