bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

pirana6 wrote:

So bored today I priced out my own home gym...
Given that I'm about to win the lottery I should probably just buy all this now and wait for my numbers to hit

Type Model Price
Bench Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Bench Series 5.1 $230.00
Powerline PFID130X Flat Incline Decline Bench $152.77 (optional)
Powerline PFID130X Flat Incline Decline Bench $152.77 (optional)
Power Cage Legend Fitness 3133 Power Cage with Plate Storage $1,529.00
BodyCraft Power Cage F430 $629.95 (optional)
Bayou Fitness E-Series Power Cage E-7620 $686.00 (optional)
PowerLine PPR200X Power Rack $349.00 (optional)
Dumbbells Body Solid Rubber Hex 5-50lbs Dumbbell Set $999.99
Body Solid Rubber Hex 55-75lbs Dumbbell Set $1199.99
Body Solid Rubber Hex 80-100lbs Dumbbell Set $1499.99
Dumbbell Rack Body-Solid 40" 3-Tier Dumbbell Rack $165.00 (x3 = $495.00)
Plates Body Solid Rubber Grip Olympic Plate 455 lb. Weight Set $588.99
Barbell Pendlay Nexgen HD Olympic Bar $349.00
Multi-use FreeMotion Dual Cable Cross $2,925.00
Total (without options) = $9816.96
Don't forget to add a small fortune for shipping
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
true. fuck.
now i can't afford it
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney
Why go all out like that?

I have a squat rack ($170) bench ($40 second hand) barbell ($50 for a 6' standard) and weight plates (100kg @ $3 per kg). Second hand 20kg dumbbell set with 4x 0.5, 1.25 and 2.5kg weights (dumbbell bars are 1.5kg each) was $35.

Grand total is $605, bought over a few months. Not the most amazing setup but if your budget is tight just get second hand stuff and add to it, upgrade and then re-sell the second hand stuff.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6324|New Haven, CT
Don't even need dumbbells really, except five and ten pound sets (2.2 and 4.4 kg) for shoulder and knee stabilization exercises. Power rack, bench, Olympic bar, and weight plates are necessary for your strength let you do all forms of squat, deadlift, bench, and row. What else is necessary to get stronger?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2012-03-23 02:51:31)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
jeez you two are a bunch of boner killers huh? it was my dream setup...
win the lottery
i COULD just go outside and lift sandbags to get stronger... and dig holes and climb trees and bail hay. That'd be even cheaper than buy second-hand stuff and foregoing dumbbells.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4843|Amsterdam
So I got back form my one month vacation from this place.
I managed to get back to my old weight and nearly passed it. But i do believe I've lost a tiny bit of bodyfat and gained quite a bit of muscle mass (at least, thats what it looks like to me).
My tendonitis still isn't gone 100%, that shit just won't go away. But I'm dealing with it and I avoid certain exercises that aggrevate it or do them with very light weight and very high reps (3x20, that kind of thing).

Still thinking of using creatine, but I don't feel like the weight on my exercises is high enough yet, plus i still take ibuprofen every once in a while to help with some of inflammation in my elbows. Creatine and ibuprofen don't mix.

So that's a little update on me. How's picking things up going for you lads?
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
I've gotten really off track the past fortnight, only did two workouts. Missed two this week coz I was busy and then boozing too much
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4843|Amsterdam
I didn't lift for two weeks either, but not because i wanted to.
I'm switching up routines (as you do every month or two) and normally I would take a 1 week break inbetween, but because of my injury i decided that two would be safest.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
I don't switch up my routine unless my goals change.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4843|Amsterdam
It can help you get over plateaus
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6324|New Haven, CT
Just worked out after 20 days off due to laziness and injury during squats. Bench lost three reps at 175, deadlift lost 30 pounds due to grip, and rows were basically the same; no squat for obvious reasons. It really sucks to take that much time off, especially when it is partially injury.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2012-03-25 21:05:11)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
Does weightlifting help burn fat? I wanna lose weight but if I get back under 200 I'm gonna look like a fucking concentration camp survivor compared to how I look now.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
yes if done right.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
it helps yeah but if you're goal is to lose weight then do cardio/aerobic/etc. i.e. GO RUNNING! /jogging/swimming/boxing/hiking/climbing/etc. A lot of people here will tell you about HIIT so await their response on that.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
The only thing that causes weight loss is caloric deficit. Whether this occurs through diet, exercise or a combination of both will achieve the same amount of weight loss if the same amount of calories are not eaten/burned/combo of both.

HOWEVER, the goal most people have when they say "losing weight" is to lose body fat. In this weight lifting helps to significantly change the ratio of muscle:fat weight loss as weight lifting sends the message to your body that you need to retain muscle, but if you're in a caloric deficit it needs to somehow lose that weight, hence the body then goes "well, I can't lose the muscle because I need it now, so I'll just burn up more fat to compensate".
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4843|Amsterdam
I would say lift 3x a week and do HIIT twice a week.
Now you might think you don't have time to exercise 5 times a week, but you have to make time. Good thing about HIIT is that it's time-based so you know what you're in for. It will only take like 15min (20 if you do a long warm-up and cool-down, but no more) and if you've done a lift session or two you know how long those take for you and that isn't going to vary a lot.

Of course you don't start out like this. Begin by lifting 2-3 time a week depending on how fit you already are do HIIT once and then go from there. Add more when you feel comfortable doing so, but please do try and push yourself to getting there.

There's a ton of lifting routines online and we can always help with one. And you can find a good HIIT routine online quite easily and I could message you mine as well if you like (lots of typing, can't find the exact link).

Honestly HIIT is the best cardio one can do, if done running. imo it's the most functional one and helped me a lot back when i still did it.
And for the love of god, don't do HIIT on a treadmill, do it outside.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6000|...

nukchebi0 wrote:

Don't even need dumbbells really, except five and ten pound sets (2.2 and 4.4 kg) for shoulder and knee stabilization exercises.
lol wat?

nukchebi0 wrote:

Power rack, bench, Olympic bar, and weight plates are necessary for your strength let you do all forms of squat, deadlift, bench, and row. What else is necessary to get stronger?
Depends entirely on your goals. The olympic barbell & plates form the basis of any program that is aimed at increasing strength, but other than that, I consider a lat pulldown machine, pull-up bar and some heavy dumbells as essential items for any strength athlete (excluding powerlifters & olympic weightlifters).

Last edited by Shocking (2012-03-27 15:34:37)

inane little opines
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6461|UK

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Does weightlifting help burn fat? I wanna lose weight but if I get back under 200 I'm gonna look like a fucking concentration camp survivor compared to how I look now.
Do both you fat cunt!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
help plox!

I'm making my 'legs/lower-back' day and I only have 4 exercises:

Squat
Deadlift
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raise

Sitting calf raise? (meh, is it that much different than standing?)
Lunge? (I have no experience in these so I don't know their benefits or if they're worth the time)

Don't bother telling me Leg Curl cause I ain't doin it. kthanx
Volatile
+252|6705|Sextupling in Empire

pirana6 wrote:

help plox!

Squat
Deadlift
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raise

Sitting calf raise? (meh, is it that much different than standing?)
Lunge? (I have no experience in these so I don't know their benefits or if they're worth the time)

Don't bother telling me Leg Curl cause I ain't doin it. kthanx
If you are just working on building power and size all you really need to do for your lower body is: squats, deadlifts, and standing/seated calf raises.

I've been doing just squats twice a week and deadlifts once a week and I've had fairly decent strides in muscle/strength gains(frequency over intensity seems to be working much better for me this year, i.e. just a the basic power exercises but multiple times a week).

Seated calve raises work the lower part of your calves, the soleus, while standing raises work the upper portion. Go to failure on seated calf raises, not stopping when it starts to burn, but when you can't raise them anymore, and you will definitely tell how much the exercises differ.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney

pirana6 wrote:

Am I Doing Enough In My Workouts or Should I Add More To Them?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4843|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Am I Doing Enough In My Workouts or Should I Add More To Them?
Honestly, when you're a beginner doing 1 exercise for each major muscle group is good enough. Legs, Biceps, Triceps, chest, shoulders, back. Later on you can add 1 or 2 extra exercises to these and once you really reach a high level (years and years later) you can actually split a lot of these up. Like trainign the three seperate parts of your deltoids, that kind of stuff.

e: forgot to add core/abs to the list.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-03-29 03:41:45)

Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
Yeah I agree, hence the post. You really only need to add exercises when you plateau.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-03-29 04:53:35)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.

Jaekus wrote:

Read this before going onto a split.

When Should A Beginner Move To An Intermediate Workout Routine?
thanks but I did actually go over this...

pirana6 wrote:

Well it seems about time i start doing muscle group splits

For about 3 months i did full body 2-3 times a week then for about a year i did 2 upper body workouts a week and 1 lower (then the next week was 2 lower, 1 upper) but I notice I don't isolate the muscles anymore. Everything just gets semi-weak now when i'm done, not certain muscles getting very weak like I want.
And furthermore,
Don't you think reading ONE opinion and assuming it's what is best is much worse than reading tons of blogs/forums/magazines/books and "averaging" all the advice to form a good routine you built for yourself? That's what I do. I ask questions here, plus a few other forums, plus before I start a new routine or even a new exercise I read up all over as much as I can to see what everyone's opinion is on it. THEN decide if it's worth adding or doing. I research like crazy when I'm considering changing anything.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard