Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4619|Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sturgeon wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Ummm, pretty sure it's almost universally agreed that lifting AFTER cardio is generally a no.
Why is that?  I have always had better lifts after cardio.
I thought it was due to glycogen stores.

If you do cardio before lifting, then your glycogen stores will be depleted and your body will break down muscles for energy to do the exercies. Whereas if you do lifting first when you do cardio your body will break down fatty tissue to get energy.

So you lose fat and build your muscles better if you do cardio last, whereas if you do cardio first your lifting workout will be ineffective.
Not sure if this is accurate but it sounds good.  Thank you.
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Well I do not do squats or power lift.  Just some basic chest, arm, shoulder, and back stuff.
So basically you completelly neglect your legs?

And no, cardio does not count as training you legs in the same way that a bench press trains your chest
No I do the basic leg machines.
You really need to look into squatting.
It is the most vital exercise for any lifter (whether it is an aspiring powerlifter or someone that just wants to get in shape) because you target so many muscles with it.
It's not very hard to do and it doesn't take an awful lot more time than a machine. The benefits outweigh the downsides by a 10000000.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Why is that?  I have always had better lifts after cardio.

If you do cardio before lifting, then your glycogen stores will be depleted and your body will break down muscles for energy to do the exercies. Whereas if you do lifting first when you do cardio your body will break down fatty tissue to get energy.

So you lose fat and build your muscles better if you do cardio last, whereas if you do cardio first your lifting workout will be ineffective.
If you ask me, the best time for cardio is early in the morning as soon as you're up before breakfast.
If you're not doing it for the performance (i.e: trying to set a (personal) record) than it's simply the best time, since you burn fat most effectively.
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

And no, cardio does not count as training you legs in the same way that a bench press trains your chest
It is the most vital exercise for any lifter (whether it is an aspiring powerlifter or someone that just wants to get in shape) because you target so many muscles with it.
It's not very hard to do and it doesn't take an awful lot more time than a machine. The benefits outweigh the downsides by a 10000000.
I dunno dude.  I play hockey so my legs get plenty of exercise.

HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5549|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

there's nothing wrong with not squatting
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6736|UK
true but you need to at the very least do some sort of compound exercise that works the legs.  Squats are effectively the de-facto exercise when it comes to leg workouts and if you're not doing them you better have a good alternative.

sorry but using a leg machine is not one of them.

Last edited by m3thod (2011-11-20 16:30:25)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
HaiBai
leg presses are fine
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5243|Sydney

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

If you ask me, the best time for cardio is early in the morning as soon as you're up before breakfast.
If you're not doing it for the performance (i.e: trying to set a (personal) record) than it's simply the best time, since you burn fat most effectively.
I used to believe this too, until I read otherwise. Now I'm unsure.

If you want to burn fat HIIT is where it's at.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-11-20 17:43:42)

HaiBai
doing HIIT purely to burn fat is pointless.  if you want to lose fat, all you need to do is maintain a caloric deficit while working out

in other words: eat less.  there's no point in putting extra stress and using up energy on HIIT when you could be using it while lifting

i'm not saying it's not beneficial, it's great if you want to be more fit.  but if you're doing HIIT purely to burn fat, urdoinitwrong

also:
GPP > HIIT

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/gener … edness.htm
Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney
I was saying burn fat when talking regular cardio vs. HIIT.
HaiBai
oh ok.  still, i don't see why anyone does anything (besides creating a caloric deficit) for the sole purpose of losing weight.  it's pointless, just eat less.  unless of course, you feel that running is worth eating shitty food.
Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney
I don't do cardio, but if others want to do that form of exercise I'm not going to attempt to change their minds, rather suggest that HIIT as a form of cardio is probably more beneficial if fat loss is one of their goals.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6666|132 and Bush

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

I agree.. since you've been fasting all night your body will look to fat for energy. If you want quick weight loss results do this. Just make sure you aren't completely depleted. Sometimes I'll drink some juice before my morning run, just to spike my bl/su with high GI, and avoid getting light headed..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4907|Amsterdam

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Thats even worse than replacing it with a machine (like leg presses).
It's like saying: I don't need to do leg lifts since i already walk a lot.
When you train a muscle with lifting it is totally different than with cardio (like icehockey)
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

When you train a muscle with lifting it is totally different than with cardio (like icehockey)
No that is not like walking.  Dude I have done squats before and hockey is way more of a leg workout.

Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Kmar wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

I agree.. since you've been fasting all night your body will look to fat for energy. If you want quick weight loss results do this. Just make sure you aren't completely depleted. Sometimes I'll drink some juice before my morning run, just to spike my bl/su with high GI, and avoid getting light headed..
Says someone that does not wake up at 0300....that aint an option for me.

Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

No that is not like walking.  Dude I have done squats before and hockey is way more of a leg workout.
lol
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Jaekus wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

lol
what lol?  Have you played?  Oh right "zomg get my core pump on bro"

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6736|UK
its not a really leg workout.

you're not developing strength/size while playing hockey.  You're just using a alternative of the age old piss poor argument "i dont need work my legs because i go running".
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6837|PNW

That's about as far back as I'm going to delete posts. It's quite possible for people to have an argument without sounding like they're at the height of their periods.
Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

lol
Hockey is endurance, and is considered a low intensity impact workout. I don't care how tired your legs feel afterwards.
When you're squatting over your own bodyweight, that's when you're doing a high intensity workout.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6666|132 and Bush

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Whenever you wake.. the specific time does not matter.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Kmar wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Whenever you wake.. the specific time does not matter.
Sir it does matter because when I wake at 3 I need to be at work by 4.  It is a big enough struggle to fall asleep early for 0300 let alone anything earlier in order to get some cardio in.

Chardee MacDennis
Green Man

Jaekus wrote:

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

lol
Hockey is endurance, and is considered a low intensity impact workout. I don't care how tired your legs feel afterwards.
When you're squatting over your own bodyweight, that's when you're doing a high intensity workout.
If you say so.  I do not care tbh.  All I know is I can barely walk after some games...can't say the same after squats.  Either way idc because I didn't ask for leg workout advice kthx.

Jaekus
+957|5243|Sydney
If you didn't come here for workout advice then I suggest you stop bitching about having to get up early and having sore legs after running around for an hour.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard