Un Moderador
+1,688|6917|Scotland

pirana6 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

this is correct squatting form right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwoQxaIeS2E
Good. Lord.

go to that guys channel and watch some other videos. they are horrendous
Watch the deadlift one. I nearly cried with laughter and pain when I saw how he was doing it. That is just horrific.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5340|Sydney
What the fuck are they trying to achieve, other than look like retards trying to injure themselves?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6928|UK
Hahahaha, wtf is he doing with his legs?!?
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5926|Belgium

Zimmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

Hmm, the part directly under my collarbone, just before it goes a bit inwards(?) is a little bit sensitive. I'll do the rubbing

Thanks for the tip.
Most people's are. Your shoulders aren't used to that sort of working so the ligaments tire out and not your muscles. You feel you still have the pushing power, but you just cannot make your muscles move that way.

Be careful with it, I know what I'm doing because I've had bad injuries around my shoulders. Maybe talk to a physio or something if that would make you more at ease.
All right. Yeah, I'm being very careful with my shoulders as of lately. Working much on the RC, stretching and paying extra attention to the 'back shoulder'. Since I don't BB Bench any more it's been much better as well.

Will continue doing all of this until my shoulder doesn't bother me any more, then attempt to BB Bench again.

Thanks again.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6621|UK
Wow them videos are amazing three people spotting on bench press haha!
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
Notice comments have been disabled, and also this:

7 likes, 509 dislikes
LMAO

Someone should send them a copy of Starting Strength, with the note "YOU'RE DOING IT WWWWWWRRRROOOOONNNNGGGGGGG"

I did notice this in the suggestions on the side though:

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-15 03:08:43)

Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
Want to lose my gut fat altogether. It seems it just won't budge and I'm not losing weight any more, it seems I've stalled around 79kg.

I generally eat this in a day:
BF: bowl of rolled oats with a scoop of whey and semi skim milk
Lunch: Sandwich made from wholemeal bread, salad, turkey breast, jarlsberg cheese and tomato
Protein shake post workout
Dinner: either rib fillet steak with steamed vegies and gravy or chicken breast with salad and tomato (the chicken breast has been diced, lightly seasoned with burrito seasoning and pan fried with olive oil).

I have this about 5 nights a week. At work on two nights a week I'll have extra carbs with the meals I cook. I try not to snack on anything at all, and if I get hungry I'll have another sandwich or protein shake. I currently don't do any cardio and workout the SL 5x5 program 3 times a week (though this week just gone I only did 2 workouts, I get really busy some days and just don't have time).
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5004|Amsterdam
Try eating something else when you get hungry, like some fruit (an apple would be ideal) or veggies (broccoli is good an tastes great).
The sanwhich seems a bit heavy.
I dont know what kind of cheese you use, but maybe change to a lighter one or leave it out.
Its a bit of a problem that you dont even have the time to workout three times a week sometimes, because normally i'dd recommend cardio on rest days or after your workout.
So i know its hard, but try to do some cardio. Maybe in the weekends, or if you have some time left, on you workout days (post WO ofcourse)
Maybe do HIIT? Only takes 15min.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6917|Scotland

Jaekus wrote:

Want to lose my gut fat altogether. It seems it just won't budge and I'm not losing weight any more, it seems I've stalled around 79kg.

Lunch: Sandwich made from wholemeal bread, salad, turkey breast, jarlsberg cheese and tomato
Dinner: either rib fillet steak with steamed vegies and gravy or chicken breast with salad and tomato (the chicken breast has been diced, lightly seasoned with burrito seasoning and pan fried with olive oil).

I have this about 5 nights a week. At work on two nights a week I'll have extra carbs with the meals I cook. I try not to snack on anything at all, and if I get hungry I'll have another sandwich or protein shake. I currently don't do any cardio and workout the SL 5x5 program 3 times a week (though this week just gone I only did 2 workouts, I get really busy some days and just don't have time).
Because you're doing a strength training program you're going to lose fat at a much slower rate than doing a hypertrophy training program. This is because in strength training you're not pushing your muscles on endurance, so you don't need as much energy to work on. Which means your body will burn less fat.

Go onto a decent hypertrophy regime and start doing supersets and dropsets. Until you're literally dripping in sweat. My workouts end with me on the floor in a pool of sweat (honestly), and that is how it should be for you. You will notice that you lose fat a lot quicker.

Bin carbs at lunch. Bin the cheese. You're also missing vital dextrose after your workout (if you don't give yourself vital quick energy after a workout your muscles will start eating themselves for energy). You can get it from a banana, or to be even more specific just buy a tub of dextrose and 5-10g in your shake.

You also must keep to the regime. Being busy is the exact reason you're not losing your gut fat. You need to keep to 3-4 days a week religiously or it won't work.

Also, ONLY eat when you're hungry and never eat till you feel full. Just till you feel adequate. I've kept to this regime for the last 2 weeks and have toned up a ridiculous amount, with my abs showing a lot more clearly now.

That should help you on your way.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5004|Amsterdam
I'm going to do SL 5x5 on monday.
First workout will also include figuring out with what weight to start (I'll start out low, as i dont want to get an injury again).
I'll just see how it goes.

Hopefully I can make some serious progress in my lifts.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
What is your normal working weight for the exercises it uses?
I know you generally shouldn't mess with the program, but I feel if you've already been working out for some time it seems a little pointless to start at an empty bar when you know you can easily do more than 5x5 on double the weight.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6833|UK
what drink do you guys use for post workout glycogen replenishment?

i use PhD battery but looking at a change.

Last edited by m3thod (2011-05-15 12:02:51)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5420|foggy bottom
brawndo
Tu Stultus Es
Reciprocity
+721|6742|the dank(super) side of Oregon
um...it's got electrolytes.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5004|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

What is your normal working weight for the exercises it uses?
I know you generally shouldn't mess with the program, but I feel if you've already been working out for some time it seems a little pointless to start at an empty bar when you know you can easily do more than 5x5 on double the weight.
I wasnt planning on starting with just the bar.
Probably something like:
bench press: 50kg
squat: 95kg
Rows: 25kg
ohp: 30kg
dl: 105kg

I would love to do a hypertrophy routine, but my body cant quite handle it. Its not the endurance (thats easy), but the amount of exercises and the weight combined just got a little too much and caused lots of strain on my joints.
Why? Because im not really built for lifting heavy weights (yet).
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5645|Bolingbrook, Illinois
why are you starting out rowing less then you OHP
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6917|Scotland

HaiBai wrote:

why are you starting out rowing less then you OHP
That's what I was thinking. Bit steep on the OHP if your rows are that low.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5004|Amsterdam
Sorry,I didnt have the sheet with my current weight amounts open when i wrote that.
Rows: 35
ohp: 30

Might do 40 (or 37.5) with the rows, depending on how well it goes.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney

Zimmer wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Because you're doing a strength training program you're going to lose fat at a much slower rate than doing a hypertrophy training program. This is because in strength training you're not pushing your muscles on endurance, so you don't need as much energy to work on. Which means your body will burn less fat.

Go onto a decent hypertrophy regime and start doing supersets and dropsets. Until you're literally dripping in sweat. My workouts end with me on the floor in a pool of sweat (honestly), and that is how it should be for you. You will notice that you lose fat a lot quicker.

Bin carbs at lunch. Bin the cheese. You're also missing vital dextrose after your workout (if you don't give yourself vital quick energy after a workout your muscles will start eating themselves for energy). You can get it from a banana, or to be even more specific just buy a tub of dextrose and 5-10g in your shake.

You also must keep to the regime. Being busy is the exact reason you're not losing your gut fat. You need to keep to 3-4 days a week religiously or it won't work.

Also, ONLY eat when you're hungry and never eat till you feel full. Just till you feel adequate. I've kept to this regime for the last 2 weeks and have toned up a ridiculous amount, with my abs showing a lot more clearly now.

That should help you on your way.
Thanks Zimmer. I've been planning to start on a hypertrophy routine next month but instead I might start it after this week.

What would you recommend as a good routine for me to use? I've been doing the SL 5x5 for about 2 months. Currently my squat and DL are 100kg, BP is 55kg, bent over rows 60kg, OHP 40 kg.

Also I didn't know that about dextrose. Just pick up a tub from a health food or sports supplies store?
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6971|Marathon, Florida Keys
made the mistake of getting a milkshake on the way home from my friends this morning (i was hungover) im lactose intolerant and it gave me a fuck load of gas. Later that day after 2 1/2 scoops of noexplode got me out of bed im in the gym doing squats and i make the loudest fart in the world blowing my O-ring out and give myself a hemorrhoid. Don't squat when your full-o-gas.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5645|Bolingbrook, Illinois
is that a joke?
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
I got another remedial massage done. Turns out the years of playing bass and having weak shoulders have given my upper back a curve and my pecs are pulling my shoulders forward, essentially fucking my posture when in a relaxed state.

She gave me a bunch of stretches and exercises to do to correct it (5 in total) that I need to do daily.

The main cause of my problem is the lower part of the larger diamond that is the trapezius (not the upper part where the shoulders are, this is middle back, below the shoulder blades) is weak.

Any exercises you guys know of to help strengthen these muscles?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6452|Washington St.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
Looks like bent over rows are the ticket, which I'm already doing. Must just need to do these daily stretches religiously to see improvement over time.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney

Kampframmer wrote:

Try eating something else when you get hungry, like some fruit (an apple would be ideal) or veggies (broccoli is good an tastes great).
The sanwhich seems a bit heavy.
I dont know what kind of cheese you use, but maybe change to a lighter one or leave it out.
Its a bit of a problem that you dont even have the time to workout three times a week sometimes, because normally i'dd recommend cardio on rest days or after your workout.
So i know its hard, but try to do some cardio. Maybe in the weekends, or if you have some time left, on you workout days (post WO ofcourse)
Maybe do HIIT? Only takes 15min.
I'm just busy. Today I got a workout in, had a massage, got home to knock back a shake (second one, had one post workout) because I didn't have time to make lunch and came to work. Tomorrow I'm home at 9:30, work again at 12:30. Will have a nap because I don't sleep well at work and need the rest to get through the day. After work I have a recording that goes till 10pm.
Wednesday I work 9-11, then again in the afternoon. I can get a workout done in between but the window isn't that big.
Tursday I'm busy 9am-8pm, sometimes with band prac afterwards.
Fridays are usually pretty good, but I get tired in the afternoon from my week and sometimes lack energy. To be honest I've been a llittle tentative of late as the weight is getting really heavy for me and I don't want to be tired and use bad form with 100kg on my back with no spotter. So I'm learning to take it slowly and carefully between reps, it worked today at any rate. Very nearly stalled on the finaly rep of my BP, the weight was halfway up and barely moved for a couple seconds, pushed with everything I had and got it up and back onto the hooks.

Zimmer, I've just read an article that recommends 75grams of dextrose in a post workout shake...
In order to effectively maximize the rebuilding and resynthesis of muscle glycogen in the post-workout window, you should add approximately 5 grams of carbs for every two full sets you perform in your workout. When you compare this to the other protein calc of 30 sets then you're taking in roughly 75 grams of dextrose in your post-workout shake.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stack-u … xtrose.htm (about 3/4 of the way down the page)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard