So I've almost got my Dad talked into getting me a Droid phone. It's getting released tomorrow, and since we are now officially out of contract we should be able to get the upgrade price + an instant $100 rebate. The company pays for all of my cell phone use and so like a poor teenager I have to plead and beg for what I want. But hey, it's all free, and really complaining would be stupid.
- Placing the Droid in the optional car dock immediately opens up the “Car Dock” interface, and turn-by-turn GPS directions are available.
- Placing the Droid in the optional media dock places the Droid into an alarm clock and media player mode.
- The interface is a stock Google Android 2.0 design, so no extra home screens like some other recent devices.
- Unlike some HTC Android devices, Droid offers a standard 3.5 mm headset jack.
- Like webOS Synergy, Droid unifies contacts from Gmail, Facebook and Exchange.
- Dedicated hardware keys offer haptic feedback.
- Verizon includes a 16GB SD card with the Droid, it supports 32GB.
- Droid’s 5MP camera with flash trumps most other current phones with 720×480 (DVD Quality) recording at 24 fps
- The camera also supports Image Stabilization, real-time color effects, scene modes and location tagging.
- Droid does have an accelerometer and landscape keyboard, so it’s not necessary to slide out the QWERTY keyboard for landscape entry.
- There’s no MotoBLUR, but there is a Facebook widget.
- Back of the device is soft touch.
- The 854×480 display offers a higher resolution than the first ASUS Eee PC netbook, which was 800×480.
- Droid runs the same SnapdragonTI OMAP chip as the iPhone.
- Tethering will be enabled.
Google app store on the horizon. It will be user driven and will NOT require approval (from what I have heard). I've seen it in action and the device looked very "snappy", no lag at all. I had some time to kill today and so I stopped in my local Verizon store and it was kinda funny. They were all hush hush "Corporate won't let us talk about the Droid". . They are opening their stores early tomorrow for the launch. So then I stopped by Best Buy and they assured me that they would have enough to meet demand tomorrow. They are taking preorders and are offering the rebate instantly (no mail in required).