Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

I believe it was Dilbert who pointed out that Australia does the same thing.
Effectively Aus does, you get tested and someone makes a judgement on whether the burden of treating you or possible risk of infection will be worth the contribution you might make.
In practice if you have something serious you're not getting in - but its not written anywhere.

As for Kimberley Bergalis, IIRC it was more about the dentist not sterilising his equipment between patients - one of whom was himself - than him directly infecting her.

As Macbeth says, no point in taking a risk unnecessarily though.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5400
honestly someone explain to me why obama would fly up to new jersey to campaign for the governor and land at new york airports?  he has done this a lot over the past month.  oh and to do it on a sunday the busiest travel day of the week...ya.   good job obama.  you just made airlines waste tons of money.  well done.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Red Forman wrote:

honestly someone explain to me why obama would fly up to new jersey to campaign for the governor and land at new york airports?  he has done this a lot over the past month.  oh and to do it on a sunday the busiest travel day of the week...ya.   good job obama.  you just made airlines waste tons of money.  well done.
Why not fly in to McGuire AFB or just helo directly to wherever he's going?

Makes no sense.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6810|Nårvei

Funny how Obama personally is to blame for this just like Bush was personally responsible for certain matters when he was in office ...

I bet you would feel better if you didn't hate so much lowing ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Jesus lowing. Drop it already. You've been proven wrong yet you persist with your unecessary bullshit. Obama didn't start this, and you're the idiot for not reading the whole article.

Stop bringing back stupid points from back in the 90s like the Bergalis incident. That is COMPLETELY irrelevant at this time, as most, if not all invasive instruments are disposable, and there hasn't been a ridiculous case like that since. So shut up about that.

HIV/AIDS is just as bad as Hep C, and telling someone you cannot come into the country because you have such a disease is just ridiculous. Fine if it's a majorly contagious disease LIKE TUBERCULOSIS, but AIDS? Come on. It's then down to the responsibility of the human being carrying that disease and the human beings around him. No government should be making the call on that, as it isn't a directly contagious illness.

Tbh, it's the peoples own goddamn fault for having unprotected sex and taking drugs. It's stupid and careless.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

I guess I'll bite.

Zimmer wrote:

It's then down to the responsibility of the human being carrying that disease and the human beings around him.

Zimmer wrote:

Tbh, it's the peoples own goddamn fault for having unprotected sex and taking drugs. It's stupid and careless.
So it's stupid and careless to get the disease and we have to trust that a stupid and carelss person wouldn't be a dumbass and end up spreading it.

Zimmer wrote:

No government should be making the call on that
Isn't my government meant to protect the people?

I still don't see how it's helpful at all. Wouldn't suprise me if we'll get one of these cases in a few years.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Zimmer wrote:

HIV/AIDS is just as bad as Hep C, and telling someone you cannot come into the country because you have such a disease is just ridiculous. Fine if it's a majorly contagious disease LIKE TUBERCULOSIS, but AIDS? Come on. It's then down to the responsibility of the human being carrying that disease and the human beings around him. No government should be making the call on that, as it isn't a directly contagious illness.

What about rape and people intentionally infecting others with needles? You know how easy it is to spread aids once you have it. Buy a needle, stab self, go out and start poking like crazy. Not to mention shit hospital staff infections.

Actually telling someone to fuck off because they have a disease is one valid reason for barring immigration. There are also other factors that play into immigration like financial, family background etc etc.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

edlT wrote:

Yet, HIV/AIDs still doesn't spread through playing unless you're sharing fucking needles and having sex.

Of course you'll just continue to disregard this and desperately try to discredit everyone else in a sad attempt to prove a losing point.

And no, neither of those kids were into heroin or sex, they had fucking blood transfusions (welcome to 2009, where that type of mistake doesn't happen unless you live in the slums..oh wait, I'm guessing you do). Do your kids have blood transfusions with their friends? Does your hospital use barbaric methods that don't include testing blood before they do a transfusion?
Sorry yer wrong, Bergalis contracted it through her infected dentist who was working on her teeth. and again, you are a liar, or you do not have kids and therefore have no idea what you are talking about regarding protecting them.

I suppose you do not want to cover the issue of detection. People who get infected do not show signs of the disease for a long time and can and will pass it on knowingly or unknowingly.

I do not need to discredit "everyone else", the sheer fuckin' numbers of people infected and getting infected does that all by itself.

Lastly, you say it does not spread unless you are playing with needles or having sex. I suppose your solution is to simply not have sex huh. Try stepping into the world of real solutions will ya.
No amount of talk to the families of two people will change the fact that HIV is spread only through direct body fluid transfer. Dental operations = yes, that could occur as it is a medical procedure. Playing in the playground = you must be fucking kidding me.
Yes, I am kidding you, because we all know kids don't get cuts or scraps,, they also don't fight or spit. Nither this nor going to the dentist is hardly ways you are describing as the only way to contract this disease. SO tell me, when will you stop squirming and admit there are more ways to contract AIDS/HIV than fucking or drug abuse?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Varegg wrote:

Funny how Obama personally is to blame for this just like Bush was personally responsible for certain matters when he was in office ...

I bet you would feel better if you didn't hate so much lowing ...
Who I am supposed to blame for OBAMA signing this bullshit, I mean it was him right?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Zimmer wrote:

Jesus lowing. Drop it already. You've been proven wrong yet you persist with your unecessary bullshit. Obama didn't start this, and you're the idiot for not reading the whole article.

Stop bringing back stupid points from back in the 90s like the Bergalis incident. That is COMPLETELY irrelevant at this time, as most, if not all invasive instruments are disposable, and there hasn't been a ridiculous case like that since. So shut up about that.

You say I have been proven wrong? With what proof? I have statistics and sheer numbers of the infected population on my side, and the numbers are increasing not decreasing?   http://www.until.org/statistics.shtml?g … nAodcygdLg    How about you?
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6542|Texas - Bigger than France

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm mostly intrigued as to what magical device the US has been using to detect HIV in any and all people entering the country...
I wrote a couple responses and deleted them all.

Let's just say I'm a funny guy that has no balls.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

lowing wrote:

Yes, I am kidding you, because we all know kids don't get cuts or scraps,, they also don't fight or spit. Nither this nor going to the dentist is hardly ways you are describing as the only way to contract this disease. SO tell me, when will you stop squirming and admit there are more ways to contract AIDS/HIV than fucking or drug abuse?
You really are a messed up man.

So we just assume kids are going to be carrying AIDS around with them just like that, and when they play, they're going to cut themselves on a rock, which as spit on it, from a man who has AIDS. Jesus christ.

Squirming? You're the only one squirming here because of what has been said towards you, and are desperately trying to find other causes and more bullshit.

Yes AIDS can be caught by more than just drugs and sex, but any other way would involve total accident (assuming both drugs and sex is an option the human being takes). So is catching half of the diseases in the world. You can't just shut the doors because you don't want a disease to get through. You aren't going to get hit worse if you let people with AIDS come to the US.

Has anybody actually bothered to read up on the HIV figures? Mortality has decreased by 70% since 1995 and people contracting new cases aren't increasing rapidly. You CAN live with HIV/AIDS, and denying somebody of that because you aren't letting them into the country is a total disagrace. Sure, screen them and see if they have a criminal record or if they are mentally unstable, but any NORMAL person wouldn't go around stabbing people with a needle (come on Cybargs, that's just stupid). I realise the VISA has a lot of other things to take into account before letting someone through the borders, which is precisely why AIDS shouldn't just be a NO YOU CAN'T FUCKING COME IN, YOU HAVE AIDS scenario.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

lowing wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You say I have been proven wrong? With what proof? I have statistics and sheer numbers of the infected population on my side, and the numbers are increasing not decreasing?   http://www.until.org/statistics.shtml?g … nAodcygdLg    How about you?
lololol

This man has numbers on his side....

No you don't. Read the stats again. Where does it say "numbers are rapidly increasing by 500% a year" or "there are 10,000+ more New infections every year". There is none of that there. Absolutely fuck all. It's vague what you have read, and you are stupid enough to take it all for granted. The numbers just aren't getting any lower. I quote, from the HIV Study

testing efforts have expanded, the number of HIV/AIDS diagnoses
in the U.S. has increased, and rose 15% between 2004 and 2007
among 34 states with mature HIV surveillance systems. It is not yet
possible, however, to rule out whether new HIV infections played
any role in the increase in diagnosed cases
I quote again

Still, HIV-related mortality
rates, which rose steadily through the 1980s and peaked in 1995,8
have declined significantly; the age-adjusted HIV death rate dropped
by more than 70% since then, including by 7% between 2004 and
2005.8 This is largely due to HAART but also to decreasing HIV
incidence after the 1980s. In 2006, HIV was the 6th leading cause
of death for those ages 25–44, down from #1 in 1994 and 1995.9
HE HAS NUMBERS ON HIS SIDE, AH MA GAWD.

Too bad you didn't really know what to do with them but just link to the stupid site and say "SEE? THE NUMBERS ARE INCREASING". Yeah, in your fucking head. Oh, and you want the study? Sure:
http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/3029-10.pdf
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

But there is nothing in either of those links that shows the US isn't the only country to prevent people with HIV from immigrating - I'm not saying it is, just that those links don't show that not to be the case.

My point was less focused on HIV specifically and more focused on the class of "communicable disease"--MANY countries limit immigration based on that criteria.
I don't doubt that they do - but the link does not demonstrate that to be the case.

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Both my wife and I have had to provide immunization records. Many times, it depends on where you are traveling to/from. If you are traveling from a "first world" country, it's usually not an issue. Traveling back, you often have to go through a medical kabuki dance, however.
Really?

I never have. Maybe that's because I've never travelled to the US from a non 1st world country.
I bet if you traveled from the UK to say the Amazonas region or SE Asia, you'd have to have a tb test when you came back.

For me, it may be a military requirement, I'm not sure. My wife may have had to because she was exposed to a susceptible population (orphans and workers). Regardless, it's not unusual.
Maybe it is. Just not something I've ever encountered. I have returned to the UK from some fairly dodgy places, but never required anything like that.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Zimmer wrote:

lowing wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

lololol

This man has numbers on his side....

No you don't. Read the stats again. Where does it say "numbers are rapidly increasing by 500% a year" or "there are 10,000+ more New infections every year". There is none of that there. Absolutely fuck all. It's vague what you have read, and you are stupid enough to take it all for granted. The numbers just aren't getting any lower. I quote, from the HIV Study

testing efforts have expanded, the number of HIV/AIDS diagnoses
in the U.S. has increased, and rose 15% between 2004 and 2007
among 34 states with mature HIV surveillance systems. It is not yet
possible, however, to rule out whether new HIV infections played
any role in the increase in diagnosed cases
I quote again

Still, HIV-related mortality
rates, which rose steadily through the 1980s and peaked in 1995,8
have declined significantly; the age-adjusted HIV death rate dropped
by more than 70% since then, including by 7% between 2004 and
2005.8 This is largely due to HAART but also to decreasing HIV
incidence after the 1980s. In 2006, HIV was the 6th leading cause
of death for those ages 25–44, down from #1 in 1994 and 1995.9
HE HAS NUMBERS ON HIS SIDE, AH MA GAWD.

Too bad you didn't really know what to do with them but just link to the stupid site and say "SEE? THE NUMBERS ARE INCREASING". Yeah, in your fucking head. Oh, and you want the study? Sure:
http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/3029-10.pdf
United States:

The Center for Disease Control statistics (as of 2007) show that:

•An estimated 1.1 million people are currently living with HIV in the United States, with approximately 53,600 new infections occurring each year.
•73 percent of new infections were in men, and 27 percent were in women.
•By race, 45 percent of the new infections occurred among African Americans, and 17 percent in Hispanics. Whites accounted 35 percent of the new infections.
•34 percent of new infections were in people younger than 30 years of age.

not really sure how this can be argued against, but ok. Your stats do not matter, if ONE MORE person gets infected every year by AIDS that is an INCREASE of people getting infected. You are actually arguing that since less people get infected it is OK and not something to worry about. All you are advocating is letting your guard down, accept AIDS as part of society and if ya get it, well, it take longer for you die now so no big deal.

No thanks.

on a side note, I don't remember reading much of your posts before, but it is nice to see another quality mature poster.

Last edited by lowing (2009-11-02 12:24:07)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Zimmer wrote:

lowing wrote:

You really are a messed up man.

So we just assume kids are going to be carrying AIDS around with them just like that, and when they play, they're going to cut themselves on a rock, which as spit on it, from a man who has AIDS. Jesus christ.

Squirming? You're the only one squirming here because of what has been said towards you, and are desperately trying to find other causes and more bullshit.

Yes AIDS can be caught by more than just drugs and sex, but any other way would involve total accident (assuming both drugs and sex is an option the human being takes). So is catching half of the diseases in the world. You can't just shut the doors because you don't want a disease to get through. You aren't going to get hit worse if you let people with AIDS come to the US.

Has anybody actually bothered to read up on the HIV figures? Mortality has decreased by 70% since 1995 and people contracting new cases aren't increasing rapidly. You CAN live with HIV/AIDS, and denying somebody of that because you aren't letting them into the country is a total disagrace. Sure, screen them and see if they have a criminal record or if they are mentally unstable, but any NORMAL person wouldn't go around stabbing people with a needle (come on Cybargs, that's just stupid). I realise the VISA has a lot of other things to take into account before letting someone through the borders, which is precisely why AIDS shouldn't just be a NO YOU CAN'T FUCKING COME IN, YOU HAVE AIDS scenario.
tell ya what, YOU fuckin' live with AIDS then, as for me, I want to see it wiped out, not socially accepted as some sort of new progressive culture.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

lowing wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You do realise that link doesn't say the numbers are increasing. It says there are x number of new infections a year, but that isolated figure demonstrates nothing.

Also:

http://www.until.org/statistics.shtml?g … nAodcygdLg

* An estimated 1.1 million people are currently living with HIV in the United States, with approximately 53,600 new infections occurring each year.
http://www.avert.org/usa-statistics.htm
At the end of 2007, the CDC estimates that 468,578 people were living with AIDS in America
Consistency FTW! Looks like one site has doubled (or halved) the figures.

What is definite, is that the numbers are decreasing in every meaningful sense - no matter which numbers you look at.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You do realise that link doesn't say the numbers are increasing. It says there are x number of new infections a year, but that isolated figure demonstrates nothing.

Also:

* An estimated 1.1 million people are currently living with HIV in the United States, with approximately 53,600 new infections occurring each year.
At the end of 2007, the CDC estimates that 468,578 people were living with AIDS in America

What is definite, is that the numbers are decreasing in every meaningful sense - no matter which numbers you look at.
Like I told him, feel free to make AIDS/HIV part of your world, I however, choose to have an opinion it needs to be controlled, contained and eliminated, not become socially acceptable. Already said if the number of infected people increases by 1, that is stll an increase in infected people. I really don't give a shit where the actual numbers fall out, you can not tell me the number of infected people is less than ever.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

lol.

Dream on sunshine. It will never get eliminated. Stop living in your pathetic dream world and accept it's going to be in this world until we die. Unless you want to eradicate everyone with it? If you don't accept it as something that is now part of our lives, then you shouldn't be on this planet either.

Many people got it by accident, and now you tell me that they should be socially excluded and contained because of it?

You can't tell me that the numbers are increasing, so stop with your bullshit.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Also:

Like I told him, feel free to make AIDS/HIV part of your world, I however, choose to have an opinion it needs to be controlled, contained and eliminated, not become socially acceptable. Already said if the number of infected people increases by 1, that is stll an increase in infected people. I really don't give a shit where the actual numbers fall out, you can not tell me the number of infected people is less than ever.
I can tell you, quite easily, that AIDS has been in decline in the US since about 1992.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Zimmer wrote:

lol.

Dream on sunshine. It will never get eliminated. Stop living in your pathetic dream world and accept it's going to be in this world until we die. Unless you want to eradicate everyone with it? If you don't accept it as something that is now part of our lives, then you shouldn't be on this planet either.

Many people got it by accident, and now you tell me that they should be socially excluded and contained because of it?

Wait a sec, a page ago it was drug abusers and sex fiends that got AIDS, now you are telling me that "many people get it be accident" and yet you feel no steps should be implimented to stop it or keep it out? The second you figure out which line of bullshit you want to pass on, get back with me

Everyone keeping track seems to disagree with you, don't know what else to tell ya. Maybe get a clue?

http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm

Last edited by lowing (2009-11-02 14:41:50)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Also:

Like I told him, feel free to make AIDS/HIV part of your world, I however, choose to have an opinion it needs to be controlled, contained and eliminated, not become socially acceptable. Already said if the number of infected people increases by 1, that is still an increase in infected people. I really don't give a shit where the actual numbers fall out, you can not tell me the number of infected people is less than ever.
I can tell you, quite easily, that AIDS has been in decline in the US since about 1992.
I see, so naturally, you say there is a positive trend so the answer is to let more infected people in? Yeah, love the logic, truly, typical liberal. I see you share the Obama wisdom.

Also maybe the RATE at which people are getting infected is lower, but there are still more people getting infected.

Last edited by lowing (2009-11-02 14:46:19)

FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

But there is nothing in either of those links that shows the US isn't the only country to prevent people with HIV from immigrating - I'm not saying it is, just that those links don't show that not to be the case.

My point was less focused on HIV specifically and more focused on the class of "communicable disease"--MANY countries limit immigration based on that criteria.
I don't doubt that they do - but the link does not demonstrate that to be the case.
Read the highlighted portion. The link absolutely did demonstrate that, which was the intent of that particular link.

The second link posted was showing that visa provision in multiple countries had an infectious disease aspect to it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

lowing wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

lol.

Wait a sec, a page ago it was drug abusers and sex fiends that got AIDS, now you are telling me that "many people get it be accident" and yet you feel no steps should be implimented to stop it or keep it out? The second you figure out which line of bullshit you want to pass on, get back with me

Everyone keeping track seems to disagree with you, don't know what else to tell ya. Maybe get a clue?

http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm
Oh dear. Does it say anywhere there INCREASING IN THE US? No. It's increasing in Africa, and it's pretty doubtful that they even get Visa's without AIDS.

Where does the "people getting it by accident" not coincide with Drug Abusers and sex fiends? Neither comment is correlated.... You can be a drug abuser and get it by accident. Jesus. You try and pick something out of an argument and fail.

Find me a proper study that shows that AIDS is increasing in the US. Otherwise... STFU.
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Zimmer wrote:

It's increasing in Africa, and it's pretty doubtful that they even get Visa's without AIDS.
Actually, Africans are a very large immigrant population in the US, particularly in the Eastern part of the country.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard