Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
you're the one who said he hopes he wins the lawsuit.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

Look Marconious, the issue is not the pin. The issue is how far we have come in the PC arena that such bullshit rules and policies are even in place, all for the sake of sparing someones feelings who might take offense to national pride, God or "Joe". This is the argument I am making.
Companies should be free to do whatever they want in the interests of profit.
Douchebag employees shouldn't be able to dictate to employers what they will and won't wear at work.
If the comapny feels some nutball wearing a pin is going to affect customers business  or other employees and thus the bottom line they can tell the employee to get bent.
If they don't like it they are free to go and find another job.

Isn't that how it works?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Spark wrote:

you're the one who said he hopes he wins the lawsuit.
Yes, I want the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction form the PC far left. These rules are in place to spare the company from a law suit by someone who might be offended. I want the company and the nation to stop bowing in fear to this bullshit, then I want the courts to fine the plantiffs of any frivolous law suit that is filed and lost.

THis is the iisue here, the policies companies are forced to inact to protect themselves. Not the violation of company policy.

This guy lost his job and did nothing to harm anyone. He was proud and he read the bible on his own time. Now he is forced to become a ward of of the state instead of taking care of himself. Mission accomplished for the libs
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
while i see where lowing is coming from with the lengths places go to avoid lawsuits from whiners

he shouldn't win the suit because, as far as i can see, he was fired for breaking the dress code

and he should have been told not to wear it when he first started

Fishel said Keezer was offered a company-approved pin that said, "United We Stand," but he declined.
also
When he refused, Keezer was fired.
Skorupa points out the button was a direct quote from the very American Pledge of Allegiance. "These mottos and sayings that involve God, that's part of our country and historical fabric. In God we trust is on our money."
historical fabric, since 1954 thanks to people sticking it in there
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco
Nah, still a bad argument from Lowing.  A company has the right to dress their employees in any way that suits their business.  If employees start doing things that drive away business, policies are enforced to stop that from happening.  It's zero-tolerance.  While one button might not scare away customers to you (though I would steer way clear of anyone who wears anything mentioning god), then lines have to be drawn as to what is or is not acceptable.  Since the country is so diverse now, it's much easier to enforce zero-tolerance than to attempt to accommodate everyone's beliefs, especially as we now have more and more stupid people who get offended way too easily (which tend to be right-wingers more often than not). 

Employees are hired to represent a business, and a dress code makes sure that the business is the only thing being represented by the company, and it has nothing to do with PC initiatives.  With our diversity, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a company striving to remain neutral so as to be able to accept everyone.
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

I would love to say ths is the last time I shop at Home Depot, but to be honest the nearest Lowes is over 20 more miles away. To fire a person for showing national pride is a sad testament to what our country has become. He was fired for fear of insulting or offending another person and it is ridiculous. I hope he wins this.
He's not showing national pride, he's espousing his ridiculous religious beliefs in direct contravention of company dress policy, so bye bye.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
in short: if you want to sport your political views openly go join a political party. companies should remain politically neutral.

and for fuck's sake follow the dress code.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6628|Canada
lowing, like I have stated, i work there. If you were allowed to put any thing you wanted on your aprons, and there wasnt a dress code, People would walk around looking like they should work at TGIF, or shenanigans. Now, how many contractors want to go shop at some place that cannot keep a professional attitude?
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco
Oh, and just for good measure, someone call this for lowing:
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/9561/wahhmbulance.jpg
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700

Marconius wrote:

Oh, and just for good measure, someone call this for lowing:
http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/9561/wahhmbulance.jpg
and when I post "QQ" in reply to lowing it gets deleted by flaming because this is "debate and serious talk." ahhahaha.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2009-10-30 00:07:18)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

lowing wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing wrote:

Then my argument stands, he was fired for fear of offending someone who is against national pride. a sad testament to what our nation has become.

and no it does not go toward religion. The Pledge of Allegiance is about national pride not a religion.
But this has nothing to do with national pride. Only the fact that he broke the rules and was fired. The pin could have said "life is great, everybody smile" and it would still be against the rules.
The argument is still the same, how fucked up is it that you can not express any positive or non-offending message without getting fired? Unless of course that message is offensive. and in THIS CASE it is about the message of national pride and its possible offense.
Its true I do find it stupid (in this case)... but still you can't start making heaps of different rules with different exceptions etc
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

The argument is still the same, how fucked up is it that you can not express any positive or non-offending message without getting fired? Unless of course that message is offensive. and in THIS CASE it is about the message of national pride and its possible offense.
Its about expressing something which the company doesn't want expressed on company time or by a customer facing employee.

And its not 'national pride', just more christian nutballery.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6718
I bet if the guy had an... I love Islam pin on...nobody would say shit...(it would be politically incorrect)
As harmless as an... I love God... or I love Islam  pin is...
Companies have become hyper sensitive to any offense to anyone...
Including squirrels that live in Arkansas...
So they impose these ridiculous rules.  We all know that some guy wearing a pin isn't going to make us join a religion or change our beliefs... Let's concentrate on the important shit in life...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-10-30 02:28:17)

Love is the answer
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I like squirrels.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I bet if the guy had an... I love Islam pin on...nobody would say shit...(it would be politically incorrect)
lol. Why on earth would someone not think that wearing an Islam pin is any more or less retarded or politically correct than wearing a Christianity pin? All organised religion is bollocks. Period.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6628|Canada

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

So they impose these ridiculous rules.  We all know that some guy wearing a pin isn't going to make us join a religion or change our beliefs... Let's concentrate on the important shit in life...
again, this isnt about what the pin is about, it was about the guy refusing to follow company policy. Fair and simple, big box retail stores have to keep their appearance standardized across all stores, especially since it is an international company. China, Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. stores have to look the same to represent the company. hence the dress code. Why is everyone blowing this out of proportion?
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality
because lowing and catbox have nothing better to do
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402

Stubbee wrote:

because lowing and catbox have nothing better to do

mod wrote:

Your post is considered spam. Please refrain from posting that kind of content.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6474|Kakanien

loubot wrote:

I am a nationalist at heart
ATOMROFL
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5402

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

loubot wrote:

I am a nationalist at heart
ATOMROFL
reported
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6474|Kakanien

Spark wrote:

for fuck's sake follow the dress code.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

destruktion_6143 wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

again, this isnt about what the pin is about, it was about the guy refusing to follow company policy. Fair and simple, big box retail stores have to keep their appearance standardized across all stores, especially since it is an international company. China, Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. stores have to look the same to represent the company. hence the dress code. Why is everyone blowing this out of proportion?
I see, so terminating a man. Removing his ability to provide food shelter and clothing for his family for wearing a non-offensive button because a company is too scare of offending someone IS NOT "blowing this out of proportion". Pointing it out is. Got it.

Marconious,

Your typical belief that "zero- tolerance", is logical is nothing more than a practice instituted that removes the responsibility of common sense from your decision making. Well done.

Also Marconious, and the majority of the rest of you, love the insults, nothing proves more, a lack of an actual argument, than your continued clinging to personal attacks.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

lol.. are you smoking?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco

lowing wrote:

I see, so terminating a man. Removing his ability to provide food shelter and clothing for his family for wearing a non-offensive button because a company is too scare of offending someone IS NOT "blowing this out of proportion". Pointing it out is. Got it.
Once again (ad nauseum), the content of the button has absolutely Nothing to do with the case.  He broke a rule and refused to comply.  It's his own fault that he cannot provide amenities for his family.  The button being offensive or non-offensive has nothing to do with it.

Your point is still wrong, so I decided to respond to inanity with hilarity. 
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6628|Canada

lowing wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

are you thick or something? IT IS NOT about offending, it is about keeping a consistent image across all stores. Hence the uniform. Companies have dress codes to keep a consistent image across the multiple nations they are located. They gave him the option of removing the non HD pin, and wearing a HD "united we stand" pin. He was fired for not complying with regulation.

You are all for punishing a person, innocent or not, for not complying with a police officer. Same theory here. HD asked him to replace pin with a HD one. Police officer asks a black Harvard professor for his ID. Both refused, both were punished.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard