Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

A Florida man is planning to sue hardware giant The Home Depot, after he was fired from his cashier job for wearing a pin that said "One Nation Under God, indivisible." "I was just doing what I think every American should do, just love my country," Trevor Keezer said.

Keezer said he started wearing the button to the store in Okeechobee, Florida in March 2008. He said no one every said anything. But when he started bringing a Bible to work last month and reading it during his lunch break, Keezer said his bosses told him he would have to remove the button. When he refused, Keezer was fired.

"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.

But The?Home Depot disputes that, saying he was fired for violating the company's dress code.

"This associate chose to wear a button that expressed his religious beliefs. The issue is not whether or not we agree with the message on the button," spokesman Craig Fishel said. "That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."
http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/n … 1256766263
So do you think he has a case? I think he should have removed the button.

On a side note It'll be interesting to see if God will provide.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

i see someone missed the forums. The plaintiff has no leg to stand on, even if he has a button.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5635|Southern California
Maybe the idiot should've obeyed the company's dress code policy.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA
I would love to say ths is the last time I shop at Home Depot, but to be honest the nearest Lowes is over 20 more miles away. To fire a person for showing national pride is a sad testament to what our country has become. He was fired for fear of insulting or offending another person and it is ridiculous. I hope he wins this.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

I would love to say ths is the last time I shop at Home Depot, but to be honest the nearest Lowes is over 20 more miles away. To fire a person for showing national pride is a sad testament to what our country has become. He was fired for fear of insulting or offending another person and it is ridiculous. I hope he wins this.
if the company has a dress policy he's A. an idiot and B. doesn't deserve to win nor will he.

i mean... if your bosses told you to do something because you were violating company policy, and you didn't, and you were fired, would you be ok to sue?

and this has quite nothing to do with offending anyone, it's about a dress code. it's pretty simple to me. i don't wear random shit as part of a school uniform despite whether i think it's right to wear or not.

Last edited by Spark (2009-10-29 04:11:21)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

if the company has a dress policy he's A. an idiot and B. doesn't deserve to win nor will he.

i mean... if your bosses told you to do something because you were violating company policy, and you didn't, and you were fired, would you be ok to sue?

and this has quite nothing to do with offending anyone, it's about a dress code. it's pretty simple to me. i don't wear random shit as part of a school uniform despite whether i think it's right to wear or not.
Spark a dress code is put in place to A. assure no one gets offended.  and B. enforce safety. Since a button does not go against safety it does go toward offending someone.

There was nothing wrong with this, and I am sure, knowing you, that if a Muslim wearing a turbin was fired for failure to adhere to a dress code, you be up in arms about his rights, how he has a case and how you hope he wins.

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-29 04:24:12)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

*swoon*

I missed moments like these.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya
It's a blanket ban, only company provided pins can be worn. He disobeyed the rules, he refused to remove it, he got fired. Now while it may seem a little stupid with a pin of that nature, the rule is obviously required so that customers are not offended.
If it was for example a WBBC pin that said something along the lines of "god hates america, god hates fags" then there would be uproar about the fact that someone would wear a pin saying that at work, and not the fact that said person was fired.

Break rules = dismissal.
The content of the pin is not a factor.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark a dress code is put in place to A. assure no one gets offended.  and B. enforce safety. Since a button does not go against safety it does go toward offending someone.

There was nothing wrong with this, and I am sure, knowing you, that if a Muslim wearing a turbin was fired for failure to adhere to a dress code, you be up in arms about his rights, how he has a case and how you hope he wins.
not paticularly, no. complain about the dress code all you like but not following it is just plain dumb. go work somewhere else if you don't like it otherwise just follow the damn rules. i don't like my uniform but i'm not a fucking retard so i follow it. simple?

plus a dress code as far as i'm aware is about representing the company. as wonderful his patriotism (i don't actually see this as paticularly patriotic, more like a religious nationalism tbh. how is reading the bible patriotic?) is the company probably doesn't want to have to deal with the issues that could arise with people tearing the dress code to pieces and representing the company as something more than a company with 'special agendas and values'. so yeah, you're probably right it is to stop people getting offended. but who gives a fuck. this guy is still an idiot.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

There was nothing wrong with this, and I am sure, knowing you, that if a Muslim wearing a turban was fired for failure to adhere to a dress code, you be up in arms about his rights, how he has a case and how you hope he wins.
not paticularly, no. complain about the dress code all you like but not following it is just plain dumb. go work somewhere else if you don't like it otherwise just follow the damn rules. i don't like my uniform but i'm not a fucking retard so i follow it. simple?

plus a dress code as far as i'm aware is about representing the company. as wonderful his patriotism (i don't actually see this as paticularly patriotic, more like a religious nationalism tbh. how is reading the bible patriotic?) is the company probably doesn't want to have to deal with the issues that could arise with people tearing the dress code to pieces and representing the company as something more than a company with 'special agendas and values'. so yeah, you're probably right it is to stop people getting offended. but who gives a fuck. this guy is still an idiot.
Then my argument stands, he was fired for fear of offending someone who is against national pride. a sad testament to what our nation has become.

and no it does not go toward religion. The Pledge of Allegiance is about national pride not a religion.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

There was nothing wrong with this, and I am sure, knowing you, that if a Muslim wearing a turban was fired for failure to adhere to a dress code, you be up in arms about his rights, how he has a case and how you hope he wins.

Then my argument stands, he was fired for fear of offending someone who is against national pride. a sad testament to what our nation has become.

and no it does not go toward religion. The Pledge of Allegiance is about national pride not a religion.
But this has nothing to do with national pride. Only the fact that he broke the rules and was fired. The pin could have said "life is great, everybody smile" and it would still be against the rules.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

But this has nothing to do with national pride. Only the fact that he broke the rules and was fired. The pin could have said "life is great, everybody smile" and it would still be against the rules.
The argument is still the same, how fucked up is it that you can not express any positive or non-offending message without getting fired? Unless of course that message is offensive. and in THIS CASE it is about the message of national pride and its possible offense.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

There's that, and then there's also the fact that someone could be offended by the whole "God" stuff. You'd probably equate someone who doesn't believe all the "God America" stuff to someone who "Hates America"

Although at the end of the day this is all petty stuff really.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

Lowing, that company has the right to set a dress code policy, and yes they are often created so as to not offend customers.  They set it, he disregarded it.  They make policies like this so it is uniform and people don't start wearing whatever they want, then having to decide whether something is or is not appropriate for work attire.

And yes, this was religious, not about national pride.  The fact that his pin depicted a passage that was only added by a bunch of religious zealots back in the 1950s, and then start reading his Bible at work shows that this was about religion.  If you want to show national pride, then something like "I pledge Allegiance" or "With liberty and justice for all." shows national pride.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Lowing, that company has the right to set a dress code policy, and yes they are often created so as to not offend customers.
Oh but lowing completely loves a pure Lazare-faire economy where the companies make the rules instead of stupid guvment. Now he wants to talk about regulation.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Lowing, that company has the right to set a dress code policy, and yes they are often created so as to not offend customers.  They set it, he disregarded it.  They make policies like this so it is uniform and people don't start wearing whatever they want, then having to decide whether something is or is not appropriate for work attire.

And yes, this was religious, not about national pride.  The fact that his pin depicted a passage that was only added by a bunch of religious zealots back in the 1950s, and then start reading his Bible at work shows that this was about religion.  If you want to show national pride, then something like "I pledge Allegiance" or "With liberty and justice for all." shows national pride.
admit it, 25 years ago there would have been nothing wrong with it. So yes, it is testament to the PC direction our country is headed.

One nation under god, sorry, but it is widely accepted that all the major religions worship the same god.

There vshould be nothing offensive by his button. and again, I maintain that most of you bitching about this would bew defending a Muslim wearing a turban at work.
mikkel
+383|6603

lowing wrote:

For someone so intent on punishment for non-conformists and people who break rules and laws, you sure are very supportive when the defiant statement is one that you support.
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5722|Gulf Coast

--Keezer said his bosses told him he would have to remove the button. When he refused, Keezer was fired.
"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.--

This doesn't even seem newsworthy to me. He refused to follow the rules of his employer and was fired. It doesn't really matter how he broke the dress code or why they have a dress code in the first place. Home Depot has a dress code, he didn't comply and refused to comply when he was confronted by his superiors. When you refuse to follow your employers rules you get fired. Why should this be any different?

Last edited by El Beardo (2009-10-29 10:07:11)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

this must be one particular store policy ... I've seen all sorts of buttons on the employees at the depot near me ..... including religious buttons

or ................. maybe we care more about the attitude of the employee and not whats on a button ..... I shop at lowes more then i do depot
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH
I am a nationalist at heart but I think this falls in: "OPINIONS, keep them to yourself" category
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6628|Canada

lowing wrote:

Its not for showing national pride, it was for disobeying dress code. I work at the HD, and have fro the past year. They are VERY strict about what you can and cannot wear on the floor. Clearly stated in the handbook, and orientation.

He was fired for refusing to obey the policy when asked.

I wore a baseball cap to work one day with an MLB logo on it, and was asked to remove it immediately, and offered a HD cap instead.

I see no issue here, he has no case, and is trying the old tactic of "pity me please, the evil corporation is biased and unfair towards me."
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco
Nope, he has no case.  He broke company dress-code policy and that's that.  The fact that is was a religious/nationalistic button is irrelevant.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
cry harder

rules are rules, deal with it
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6465|Tyne & Wear, England
Christians.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

lowing wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

admit it, 25 years ago there would have been nothing wrong with it. So yes, it is testament to the PC direction our country is headed.

One nation under god, sorry, but it is widely accepted that all the major religions worship the same god.

There vshould be nothing offensive by his button. and again, I maintain that most of you bitching about this would bew defending a Muslim wearing a turban at work.
You still miss the point.  Whether you think it is PC or not is irrelevant.  This business has a right to set the dress code for employees.  Yes or no?  They consider their business as a place where all customers should feel welcome, so eliminating all possible offensive attire is within their right.  This employee was more than welcome to wear his pin when not working.

And as usual, you can't post in a single thread without blaming liberals or bringing up Muslims.  But at any rate, no I don't support Muslims having special rules.  The article some time back about Muslim women that worked in hospitals and didn't want to wash their hands according to medical protocols because they had to expose too much skin...my response that was they should find a different line of work.

Most businesses try to create a safe, friendly atmosphere for their customers and employees.  If that means setting dress codes that may seem "PC" so as to not offend other employees or their customers, that's their damn right.  As far as I'm concerned, any dress code put in place for reasons of health or safety should always trump religious beliefs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard