GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6430|Finland

Could the Large Hadron Collider be sabotaging itself from the future, as some physicists say. (?)

I am puzzled with these scientists and their (very very odd) theories.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/s … 879293.ece
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6484

Wouldn't that cause a paradox?
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6430|Finland

NooBesT wrote:

Probably.

IMO I think some ppl are just sabotaging it in purpuse because in theory its possible it could cause a black hole to form.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6722|67.222.138.85
Hoolllleeeeeshiiieeettt these "scientists" can fuck right off.

How the fuck are we supposed to ween the chronically gullible and profoundly irrational off of sensationalist media when it is so easy to find people representing the sane skeptics that have the intelligence of a jackrabbit?

“It is based on mathematics, but you could explain it by saying that God rather hates Higgs particles and attempts to avoid them.”

I wanted to put my palm through the fucking screen.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6484

It actually said that? I didn't bother to continue after the first paragraph.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
rdx-fx
+955|6607
Yes, there are all sorts of stupid pet tricks one can do with math.

Once you step through the looking glass into the realm of Quantum Mechanics, you can make the pretty math formulas do some really crazy shit. 

There really is no need to show off these abovementioned stupid quantum mechanical math tricks to the general public at large.

Score another point for the media-info-tainment complex.
Flaming_Maniac
But Quantum Teleportation!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS

rdx-fx wrote:

Yes, there are all sorts of stupid pet tricks one can do with math.

Once you step through the looking glass into the realm of Quantum Mechanics, you can make the pretty math formulas do some really crazy shit. 

There really is no need to show off these abovementioned stupid quantum mechanical math tricks to the general public at large.

Score another point for the media-info-tainment complex.
Well... some of that crazy shit is true. It's just whether it's rigorous and not nonsensical (double negative - Orwell would hate me)

But I agree, there really is no need to try and introduce technicality into an already complex subject. (trust me - I'm trying to do it myself. It's horrible. Can anyone tell me what a contour integral is? Or the full ramifications of holomorphicity?)

Last edited by Spark (2009-10-20 19:21:37)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6732|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

article wrote:

“It is based on mathematics, but you could explain it by saying that God rather hates Higgs particles and attempts to avoid them.”
Haha, epic explanation.

article wrote:

“He is pointing out that we don’t yet have a quantum theory of gravity, so we haven’t yet proved rigorously that sending information into the past isn’t possible.

“However, if time travellers do break into the LHC control room and pull the plug out of the wall, then I’ll refer you to my article supporting Nielsen’s theory that I wrote in 2025.”
And the epic ass covering rebuttal.

Last edited by mcgid1 (2009-10-20 19:50:28)

Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6010|Truthistan
I have three theories

1. Future HLC derailing present HLC
2. God doesn't want us destroying the universe until 2012
3. Poor construction... I bet they used German electronics instead of Japanese electronics

Which reason would be most rational? and which excuse is most entertaining and better than hearing about a poorly constructed multi billion dollar dud.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6642|Canada
an atom sized black hole does not have the energy to sustain itself. Case Closed FFS! Im tired of these technophobes making 1950's style sci-fi disaster scenarios for the mass media.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

There are collisions with higher energy happening right here on Earth. Cosmic rays of massive energies impact our atmosphere all the time.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6642|Canada

Kmarion wrote:

There are collisions with higher energy happening right here on Earth. Cosmic rays of massive energies impact our atmosphere all the time.
QFT
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6697|Disaster Free Zone

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

Probably.

IMO I think some ppl are just sabotaging it in purpuse because in theory its possible it could cause a black hole to form.
It's also possible for Saturn to just one day start speaking Spanish.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6545|Global Command

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

How the fuck are we supposed to ween the chronically gullible and profoundly irrational off of sensationalist media when it is so easy to find people representing the sane skeptics that have the intelligence of a jackrabbit?

You are frustrated that he said that because you have been brain washed into believing that being an atheist is somehow hip or trendy.

You assume that there is no God to hate higgs particles, therefor the scientist must be stupid.
Sort of sad really, to be so young and so cocksure that there is no God.

You can think physics explains everything, but in fact it explains nothing more than what we think we know according to the languages we have created to try and explain the things we see.
Spark
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You are frustrated that he said that because you have been brain washed into believing that being an atheist is somehow hip or trendy.

You assume that there is no God to hate higgs particles, therefor the scientist must be stupid.

You can think physics explains everything, but in fact it explains nothing more than what we think we know according to the languages we have created to try and explain the things we see.
I can't make head or tail of this post.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Actually some, like Hawking, are hoping/betting on them not finding the Higgs boson.
Hawking also doesn't think it's very likely that the LHC will successfully observe the Higgs boson, either. He placed a $100 bet that the Higgs boson wouldn't be found. He thinks it will be "more interesting" if we don't find the Higgs, because that means that something is wrong with the current models.
Consider all angles.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS
Well clearly something is wrong. The standard model simply doesn't make sense on its own - why three generations of particles? Why the paticular masses? Etc. etc.

Although it works.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

Some of the reasons we are attempting to observe it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6545|Global Command
Seems like, considering all the failing government services worldwide, the destitute people and failing businesses and robbed pensions that we could find something better to expend resources on.
Spark
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS

ATG wrote:

Seems like, considering all the failing government services worldwide, the destitute people and failing businesses and robbed pensions that we could find something better to expend resources on.
Much rather we spent money on this than on weapons n' shit.

Much more useful. Besides - with science, and especially cutting edge physics, you never know what you might get. Quantum mechanics gave us the transistor - but I don't think Einstein or Bohr every imagined such an application being possible.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

One other thing which I found most intriguing about Hawking's statements was: "Together they [the LHC and the space program] cost less than one tenth of a per cent of world GDP. If the human race can not afford that, then it doesn't deserve the epithet 'human'."

Could it be that these costly enterprises, which are the sorts of experiments which will ultimately save the human race from annihilation, truly amount to so little in the grand scope of human production? When you look at all of the major accomplishments of mankind, I wonder how much time and energy has gone into them, compared to the time and energy which is so often wasted on other areas of our lives...
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

You assume that there is no God to hate higgs particles, therefor the scientist must be stupid
The idea that God hates a particle, something he created, is absurd. Particularly when you are talking about a Judeo-Christian God, a forgiving God.

ATG wrote:

Ignoring the fact that religion cannot comprise anything more than the languages we have created to explain the things we see:

Physics explains everything that is worthwhile to know about the world around us. It is not useful to know anything physics does not show us.

ATG wrote:

You have seen me post about how much I hate this.

If I mean anything, I mean this: people can fuck off.

They can fuck off with their asinine trends, with their petty allegiances, with their sense of entitlement, with their lack of purpose, and with their yearning to bow down to anything and anyone that they believe will aid them in dealing with reality if they lie prostrate before them. People are looking, looking for something to worship because it means they can shove all of their problems somewhere else, somewhere that does not entail personal fault. It means they can accept whatever gifts life throws their way while shouldering none of the responsibility, and it means they don't have to decide what is ethical or not on their own. It means at their very core they are not a person, they are at best a faulty machine that imperfectly follows the instruction of someone else.

I don't care if there is a god or not. I'm not going to throw myself at his feet, and if he is anyone respectable he understands that.

Get some fucking self-respect.
Spark
+874|6690|Canberra, AUS
FM you done theoretical physics at uni?
~ Richard Feynman
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6642|Canada

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

And are you ignorant enough to think you KNOW there is a god?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard