HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6718|Germany
Hi guys,

First I thought it was just a coincidence, but the more I play, day after day, night after night I realised that there must be a reason....

I live in Germany, so of course I mostly join european servers because of the ping...
Get on a server, join a squad, and....silence. Try another squad...silence...try another server....silence...
You get the point.
Later at night I get on an american sever and after maybe two or three tryouts I actually get in to a squad...and hooray ! ...I hear some nice human voices. And I´m not talking about some crappy spamming but actual useful battlefield communication. Nice !

So what´s wrong with you european guys ? I really wonder, if  I have the only keyboard with a B button on it in the whole of europe.

And for you americans out there, especially the ones I played with : Thumbs up !!!
If it wasn´t for my bad ping on US servers I would play with you guys all the time, thanks for a lot of fun hours.

Feel free to add and dicuss
Greetz, Tony
tF-afrojap
+124|6856|SF
Put up your Xfire name in the sticky if you haven't yet. There's a lot of good team players on there.
Chowley
+1|6695|Ireland
Probably a lot of players using vent or ts
orac07
+2|6665|Perth, Australia

HellHead wrote:

So what´s wrong with you european guys ? I really wonder, if  I have the only keyboard with a B button on it in the whole of europe.

Greetz, Tony
Having one common language helps.
AmbassadorofPain
+34|6666|Devil's Perch

Chowley wrote:

Very true. Plus: Us european guys are damned shy and therefore don't dare to talk that much
@HellHead: If you're looking for VoIP-communication on the battlefield, don't hesitate to just fire it up yourself. Usually quite a number of people have a headset connected and their VoIP configured. It's just as mentioned above: Most are too shy to talk, even if it would be very, very helpful.
Proud member of a dead community.
$kelet0r
+16|6691
he's right though
europeans are less willing to use voip on public servers
HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6718|Germany

AmbassadorofPain wrote:

Chowley wrote:

Very true. Plus: Us european guys are damned shy and therefore don't dare to talk that much
@HellHead: If you're looking for VoIP-communication on the battlefield, don't hesitate to just fire it up yourself. Usually quite a number of people have a headset connected and their VoIP configured. It's just as mentioned above: Most are too shy to talk, even if it would be very, very helpful.
Believe me, I tried...but either/mostly I get no reply or just bunch of spamming blablabla...

@afrojap : I´ll try that out with the xfire thing. Does that inflict my connection in any way ?

Last edited by HellHead (2006-02-08 03:38:38)

comic_chimere
+-1|6700|England, UK
Not everyone in Europe speaks English well if at all...
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6722|Norway

orac07 wrote:

HellHead wrote:

Greetz, Tony
Having one common language helps.
It's damn embarrasing to start jabbing of in english to another norwegian (in my case)

But yeah - I hear you.. And another thing - if the commander would just talk to SL's about what he see's in his scans, then he wouldn't have to waste a UAV if there wern't any enemies in a particular location - he could just zoom in/scan and tell you using the blessed 'V' button
Imgragael
+0|6671
Teamspeak is a good system for viop, but it takes days to get tweaked right, and occasionally drops for no reason, unless they fixed it.

Ventrillo is excellent, easy to use and set up, rarely interferes with BF2, and alot of players use it because it is a small % of proc time.

xFire is good, will work under just about any game, but takes up a little more proc time, can be configured for different game needs and is suppose to recognise which game you are playing and tell everyone on your list that you are playing that game.

I used to use TS when I played Mechwarrior 4, and got tired of the drops, xFire was the next one I used, but got tired of the idiots that use it, and now I am on Vent.  My clan =F13= uses vent, and the only problem I encounter with it is the occasional player who has one or two settings just a little too high.

I would say try vent and suggest to your friends to try vent, and hope that some of that shyness(?) wears off and you can have a better battlefield experience.

Imgragael

------------
Nothing kills a noobies passion to play a game like an overbearing pr*ck that isnt afraid to tell the noob off instead of teaching the noob.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6706|Germany

$kelet0r wrote:

he's right though
europeans are less willing to use voip on public servers
Nope,as for me,I would use it if it were working on my system.

I usually use Teamspeak together with a buddy...
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6748|Finland
Yeah, basicly VOIP sucks (sure it's good feature in game but I don't like it) and TS/Ventrilo is much, much better.
Angel.C-sq
+24|6697|Computer Chair
I only once encountered a team that was talking, everyone on that team was Squad Leader and the commander kept telling us where the enemy was. Those rounds ended very quick
Rumfuddle
+14|6727
I'm in the US and don't use voip too often because I play late at night and the computer is near my kid's bedroom,  but there's a Brazilian server I play on occasionally (Teraserver maybe?) where there's almost always voip action.  It's all in Portuguese or Spanish obviously.  There's also been a UK server (can't remember the name) I've played on where I hear regular voip squads.  For some reason it is particularly amusing to listen in on UK accents and terminology in BF2.  There's a bunch of Quebec servers where I hear French regularly on the voip.  I've been on occasional servers where I have absolutely no idea what language was being used on the voip (and I've taken German, Russian, Polish, French, and Spanish so I can usually make a decent guess), I think I hooked up with a bunch of Flemish speaking squad the other night. 

It gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside to know that around the world spanning cultures and races a wonderful time can be had blowing the living shit out of each other in BF2.
licutis
+0|6672|united states
My clan, ESIGNR, uses our own VOIP system for communication, we all have voip desk phones or a voip softphone set up, we dial into a voip conference and it works great. New members have commented how more effective not having to push a talk button is.  A bunch of us have in game voip configured to talk to people we pick up on public servers but that is close to 10% of our voice communication.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6729|California

i love voip. i just feel akward when i start talking and get a response in german or french
oJmHo
I want the pink mist
+0|6816

Angel.C-sq wrote:

I only once encountered a team that was talking, everyone on that team was Squad Leader and the commander kept telling us where the enemy was. Those rounds ended very quick
Must have been a small map...
ModestFire
+0|6699
I've played with some european guys and despite some language barriers we did pretty good, since I know a little german. The craziest one though was playing with russian guys, it was pretty cool. Well I'm glad you like playing on our american servers Tony.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6764|The Netherlands

HellHead wrote:

this is actually pretty funny. when I join a squad that uses VOIP they ALLWAYS are Germans. never I heard a word English through the VOIP.
Luckely I understand German. but when I speak it... it is just too bad. and then when I explain to them that I understand german but I will communicate in English. it remains silent.
don't know why is it my voice or what? do these guys know each other and scared of me? I don't think they don't understand English they don't sound like 12 year olds.

well anyway because this I don't use VOIP. with the normal sounds you get pretty far and you get a nice spot on the map
D-Klaus
+1|6698
Here's a story

I logged into some random server one time and played as lone wolf for a little while and after a few rounds I got the urge to try and apply to be commander for the first time ever.  Next thing I know, I'm the commander for the US on Sharqi, on this random server in some other country.

We were doing okay, and I was doing decent for my very first time ever as commander ...... then I made a mistake.  Clicked Arty instead of UAV and dropped it right on a MEC flag that one of my squad leaders was getting ready to cap with his squad.

He went ballistic over voip on me (completely understandable) but it was in some completely different language.  It sounded like this to me:  TPIAHHOII!!!   YOPIAPFKKKAL!!!!   OIALIFJDKKD!!!!   He was pissed, that's pretty much all I knew.   I didn't know what to do, so I clicked his squad and said over voip:  "I'm sorry man, it's my first time ever as commander and I accidently clicked Arty when I was trying to give you guys a UAV"   Of course I talked in English.  Then he comes back and says in complete and clear English:  "no worries man, we all have to learn somehow, and you're doing a good job".   

VOIP (or any communication connection) rules.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6726|Riva, MD
Maybe you just haven't been to a real German server.  No offense but I kind of hate German servers because they act snobby by enabling the cussing kicker so only they can cuss and they just generally hate Americans.  What's also annoying is when there is a foreign commander with VOIP saying all kinds of stuff you can't understand in your ears and using the insult your squad feature because of not following his spoken orders because you can't understand him. I think I was actually telling him I couldn't understand and he continued to babble.
Chowley
+1|6695|Ireland
Well for europeans anyway its hard to understand eachother with accents, then add the poor sound quality of the ingame VOIP and it becomes quite an awkard situation.
I dont want to keep saying- what? what? Sorry can you repeat that? I didnt quite hear you there it was the arty . He says- what arty ? ehm.......
etc.

Also the fact theyre complete strangers i really have no major motivation to speak to them on a public server all the communication i need as a squad member is hotkeyed.

Bleh but theres also slang i guess among the native english speakers :p.

Anyway I find that norwegian and dutch servers seem to have a few squads speaking, usually the dutch guys would be speaking english if its not just friends or clanmates. I was in a squad speaking russian the other night, bit of a bugger as i cant understand a word

Last edited by Chowley (2006-02-08 14:33:17)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709
Xfire shouldnt be using any processor time, and if it is just set its priority to "low". It does however use about 10 megs of memory, so if you're running with a low amount of ram in your system i wouldnt recommend running it continuously. If you dont want xfire hogging your memory, just log in and write down the IP of whatever server your friends are playing on, or send them messages, etc.

Xfire can also be used as a voice chat program. I think it only works between 2 people however, so if you want to talk to more than 1 person at a time teamspeak or ventrilo is the way to go.
-=256=-Evo_Wales
The New Evolution in gaming...
+14|6766|Cardiff, Wales
I use VOIP all the time, almost always playing on my clan server with most visitors being Brits makes communication pretty good. Don't use TS for normal play as it often ends up interefering with my VOIP

From past experiance you get little VOIP work on pubs, but a fair bit on clan servers when they aint using TS or Vent
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6753|St. Paul, MN

HellHead wrote:

Hi guys,

First I thought it was just a coincidence, but the more I play, day after day, night after night I realised that there must be a reason....

I live in Germany, so of course I mostly join european servers because of the ping...
Get on a server, join a squad, and....silence. Try another squad...silence...try another server....silence...
You get the point.
Later at night I get on an american sever and after maybe two or three tryouts I actually get in to a squad...and hooray ! ...I hear some nice human voices. And I´m not talking about some crappy spamming but actual useful battlefield communication. Nice !

And for you americans out there, especially the ones I played with : Thumbs up !!!
If it wasn´t for my bad ping on US servers I would play with you guys all the time, thanks for a lot of fun hours.

Greetz, Tony
This is very interesting because I have the exact opposite issue. I live in America but I can't hear anyone on voip (even if it says voip is enabled on the server) unless it's a non-american server. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with blocked ports or something like that but I have no virus firewall or anything that i know of that would do that sort of thing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard