Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride
+139|5459|Dublin, Ireland
I've got 350 euro to spend on a PC upgrade.

I'm looking for the following:

Monitor (19"-22", black, preferably wide-screen) for <150 EU
Speakers (Decent sound quality, black, preferably Logitech) for >30 EU
Mouse & KB (Decent quality, black, preferably Logitech) for >40 EU
Video Card (PCI-E, decent quality, at least 1GB DDR2, preferably Nvidia, DirectX 9.0c compatible) >100 EU
Memory (Decent quality, 4GB, preferably Corsair) >40 EU

It won't really be used to play the most up-to-date games like Crysis or CoD4. It's mainly gonna be used as an entertainment PC for films, music and for the use of programs like Photoshop, Sony Vegas, Adobe Aftereffects, Microsoft office ect...

Needs to be ready for games of the future (BF3 ect...). It doesn't need to play them on the highest setting, low/medium will be fine.

E: Currently I'm thinking of buying from www.komplett.ie, if you know of any better value website that delivers to Ireland please feel free to provide links.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Oisín<3 (2009-10-08 05:42:25)

Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride
What I'm currently looking at:

Monitor

Speakers

Mouse

Keyboard

Video Card

Memory

Thoughts?

Last edited by Oisín<3 (2009-10-08 06:01:21)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6472|King Of The Islands

Those speakers are a waste of fucking money, the X-230s are better for much less.

And 800MHz PC2-6400 RAM. Didn't even know you could still get 667.

Last edited by Cheez (2009-10-08 06:03:57)

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6682

That all looks pretty good, except for the keyboard and mouse -  both look a little cheap. Logitech G5 is the only mouse worth buying, and then a Logitech Media keyboard would do fine.
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride

Cheez wrote:

Those speakers are a waste of fucking money, the X-230s are better for much less.
I'm actually have problems with my speakers right now.

I've got the standard Dell ones they gave you 4 years ago with a low budget PC.

The right one has NEVER worked, ever... It's the one that turns off and on the power, and no matter what socket I plug it into it only provides sound out of the left speaker. I'm worried that it's my soundcard and not my speakers.

https://www.teksale.com/images/dell%20altec%20lansing%20ada%20215%20speakers.jpg

I've fucked about with the sound settings millions of times...
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6345

See if you can find a Logitech G3 if you like smaller/flatter mice like the one you posted above.
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride

ebug9 wrote:

See if you can find a Logitech G3 if you like smaller/flatter mice like the one you posted above.
I won't be using it for hardcore gaming. TBH gaming mice are a waste of money, I've always used the standard Dell ones and have never had a problem.
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride

Oisín<3 wrote:

Cheez wrote:

The right one has NEVER worked, ever... It's the one that turns off and on the power, and no matter what socket I plug it into it only provides sound out of the left speaker. I'm worried that it's my soundcard and not my speakers.

http://www.teksale.com/images/dell%20al … eakers.jpg

https://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/Irishpride2/Speakers1.jpg

Last edited by Oisín<3 (2009-10-08 06:11:35)

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6345

Oisín<3 wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

I won't be using it for hardcore gaming. TBH gaming mice are a waste of money, I've always used the standard Dell ones and have never had a problem.
It's probably the same price as the one you posted by now. Consider it anyway
https://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1158/logitechg35.jpg
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5667|Southern California

Oisín<3 wrote:

Oisín<3 wrote:

Cheez wrote:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288 … akers1.jpg
k
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6230|Winland

First off, Amazon will ship to Ireland. I think they have better prices on most stuff.

Second, those speakers are garbage, just like all the other Logitech sets. These are superior in every field.

Third, I'd recommend not getting an LG monitor. What I've seen of LG/Philips LCD panels isn't very good, and the surrounding electronics aren't usually much better. Samsung, Samsung, Samsung.

As for the graphics card, you should really wait until the new ATI cards become a bit more available and cheap. The lower range (HD56xx and such) are said to be incredible price:performance cards that will blast the 9800GT right out of the water.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride

Freezer7Pro wrote:

First off, Amazon will ship to Ireland. I think they have better prices on most stuff.

Second, those speakers are garbage, just like all the other Logitech sets. These are superior in every field.

Third, I'd recommend not getting an LG monitor. What I've seen of LG/Philips LCD panels isn't very good, and the surrounding electronics aren't usually much better. Samsung, Samsung, Samsung.

As for the graphics card, you should really wait until the new ATI cards become a bit more available and cheap. The lower range (HD56xx and such) are said to be incredible price:performance cards that will blast the 9800GT right out of the water.
Those speakers are too fugly. I don't want something too big, I don't got much deskspace as it is. Something small, cute and black

Monitor is uber fucking sexy. Sexy > actual quality tbh

I've always been Nvidia, they've served me well... But if Freezer says so... I'm going to PC world later to have a gander, any graphics card in particular I should look out for? They're having an uber sale so everything should be X% off.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6754|Ireland | Monaghan

You should take a look at Overclockers.co.uk, it's usually cheaper(always is for me) to buy from there... And not to mention they delivered to me the 2 times I bought off them quicker than Komlett/Elara/Dabs ever did.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6686

ghettoperson wrote:

That all looks pretty good, except for the keyboard and mouse -  both look a little cheap. Logitech G5 is the only mouse worth buying, and then a Logitech Media keyboard would do fine.
The Razer Deathadder and his big bro Mamba would like to have a word with you
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

Moniter, I have this, it's great!

Speakers, Pretty cheap but seem to have good reviews too. Anythings better than them Dell fails.

Mouse, Basic cheap mouse should do the job.

Keyboard, I have a G11 which I love , but this seems pretty cool too and has lots of good reviews.

GPU

RAM

Total for all that + shipping is €343
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6724|Devon, England

Lucien wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FUCK!

My Deathadder just pounced at ghetto's post!

Oh... Oh God, you've really pissed them off now...

Also, isn't a 4770 better than a 9800GT?

Last edited by FFLink (2009-10-08 08:28:54)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6230|Winland

Oisín<3 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Those speakers are too fugly. I don't want something too big, I don't got much deskspace as it is. Something small, cute and black

Monitor is uber fucking sexy. Sexy > actual quality tbh
You are all that is wrong with the western world.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6014|Toronto

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

Speakers, Pretty cheap but seem to have good reviews too. Anythings better than them Dell fails.
No! For the love of all that is even remotely holy, no! Never buy Logitech speakers, even if your life is at stake. the sound and build quality of those POSs is just perverse. Nothing good can come of those.

That said, if you want an audio system, you'd better get something a tad more exppensive, but that will sound so much better: Altec Lansing, M-audio, behringer, David Eden, etc...
I like pie.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6682

FFLink wrote:

Lucien wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FUCK!

My Deathadder just pounced at ghetto's post!

Oh... Oh God, you've really pissed them off now...

Also, isn't a 4770 better than a 9800GT?
Haha, I thought the G5/Razer wars died out ages ago.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

TSI wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

No! For the love of all that is even remotely holy, no! Never buy Logitech speakers, even if your life is at stake. the sound and build quality of those POSs is just perverse. Nothing good can come of those.

That said, if you want an audio system, you'd better get something a tad more exppensive, but that will sound so much better: Altec Lansing, M-audio, behringer, David Eden, etc...
Tbh, my Logitech speakers are fine. Nothing wrong with them for the price.

Could you recommend a particular model of the brans you suggested that would fit into his budget while keeping in mind the other things he needs?

I take it you have used them 2.1's then?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6230|Winland

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

TSI wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

Could you recommend a particular model of the brans you suggested that would fit into his budget while keeping in mind the other things he needs?

The ones I linked are 7€ more expensive than his beloved Logitechs after rebates.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6014|Toronto

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

TSI wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

Fine =/= good. I suppose my job requires me to have quite good sound, so maybe I'm a little perfectionist. But, have you ever opened up your logitechs? Do, and behold the pathetic workmanship inside. I had to resolder all the connections on my gf's old ones before they could make any sound.

As to the request: probably not. You can't get all that for 300 euros. The cheapest pair of decent speakers I could find are $80 w/o s&h.

But then again, this iPod generation doesn't realise that you can't get cheap good sound. 128 kbps and iPod docks seem to have replaced all the elaborate systems the previous gen had. Sad times.
I like pie.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

TSI wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

TSI wrote:

Fine =/= good. I suppose my job requires me to have quite good sound, so maybe I'm a little perfectionist. But, have you ever opened up your logitechs? Do, and behold the pathetic workmanship inside. I had to resolder all the connections on my gf's old ones before they could make any sound.

As to the request: probably not. You can't get all that for 300 euros. The cheapest pair of decent speakers I could find are $80 w/o s&h.

But then again, this iPod generation doesn't realise that you can't get cheap good sound. 128 kbps and iPod docks seem to have replaced all the elaborate systems the previous gen had. Sad times.
I know if I was as good with audio as us I'd probably be the same. When I think of the audio debates that always seem to happen, it reminds me of a PC, buy a Dell or build your own and I know it's better to build your own and cheaper too. With audio, well the better stuff is more expensive we all know that, but they're better than some "crappy Logitech" by comparison.

But when you compare the Dell speakers or whatever he had before(which are terrible cause I've used them too), the leap from the "crappy Logitech" speakers is still immense.

I know if I had the money to spend on a really good sound system I would, I could near use my brothers Karaoke speakers to deafen myself hehe. But the thing here is, he's asking for alot that fits into €350 while keeping the parts generally good! No point spending €200 on a kick ass sound system to have everything else he's going to buy suck. The things listed and the speakers too, for their price aren't bad. And he will definitely notice the difference for £19, and he's said it himself, he doesn't like fancy mice, cause he knows a normal one will be more than good enough for him. I think the same is for them speakers, if you read the reviews of people on OC which say it's good, fair enough they won't have the knowledge of Audio as you and Freezer might. But they're buyers like him, who have some terrible, I mean really terrible speakers and are looking for a good cheap replacement that will offer good enough sounds, alot better than what he has.

I think he's alot better off getting good enough speakers than something rocking and then skimping on the other parts which he would benefit alot more from.

I totally agree with you when it comes to speakers, but you must see it from the normal buyers perspective too. There's a market for speakers like that, and that's why Logitech makes them and for <£20 they do their job.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6230|Winland

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

TSI wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

I know if I was as good with audio as us I'd probably be the same. When I think of the audio debates that always seem to happen, it reminds me of a PC, buy a Dell or build your own and I know it's better to build your own and cheaper too. With audio, well the better stuff is more expensive we all know that, but they're better than some "crappy Logitech" by comparison.

But when you compare the Dell speakers or whatever he had before(which are terrible cause I've used them too), the leap from the "crappy Logitech" speakers is still immense.

I know if I had the money to spend on a really good sound system I would, I could near use my brothers Karaoke speakers to deafen myself hehe. But the thing here is, he's asking for alot that fits into €350 while keeping the parts generally good! No point spending €200 on a kick ass sound system to have everything else he's going to buy suck. The things listed and the speakers too, for their price aren't bad. And he will definitely notice the difference for £19, and he's said it himself, he doesn't like fancy mice, cause he knows a normal one will be more than good enough for him. I think the same is for them speakers, if you read the reviews of people on OC which say it's good, fair enough they won't have the knowledge of Audio as you and Freezer might. But they're buyers like him, who have some terrible, I mean really terrible speakers and are looking for a good cheap replacement that will offer good enough sounds, alot better than what he has.

I think he's alot better off getting good enough speakers than something rocking and then skimping on the other parts which he would benefit alot more from.

I totally agree with you when it comes to speakers, but you must see it from the normal buyers perspective too. There's a market for speakers like that, and that's why Logitech makes them and for <£20 they do their job.
The ones I linked to are still merely seven euros more expensive than the ones he had picked out. Seven euros is not much.
alexb
<3
+590|5973|Kentucky, USA

Oisín<3 wrote:

Cheez wrote:

I fucking hate those speakers, can't wait to get some money so i can replace them...

I get shit tons of static when I adjust the volume.

Last edited by alexb (2009-10-08 12:51:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard