m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
So i am thinking of taking this up.  We actually an accredited centre in Bradford much to my amazement.

http://ukgraciejiujitsu.com/page_1233247881962.html

Does anyone do this? Or an other kung fu bollocks....what should i expect apart from being beaten up.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6578|Columbus, OH
What to expect: Need to @ the ready
Wreckognize
+294|6485
Take Krav Maga.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Expect to be winded. I use to box at a gym that shared a ring with some grapplers. I hopped in a few times with them. I found myself gasping for air plenty. I was in above average shape too.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

I don't know but I've been watching MMA since Royce Gracie fought in UFC 1...

They have them all over here (Gracie-Barra BJJ).  There's one right down the street from me.

From your link - certified instructor

Sacha Martin-Luther King
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6733|St. Andrews / Oslo

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

They have them all over here (Gracie-Barra BJJ).  There's one right down the street from me.

Sacha Martin-Luther King
lmao
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Sacha Martin-Luther King
I known about GJJ for a long time and their association with UFC and there is a 6 page spread in this months mens health which has ignited my interest.  And I am getting pretty mucular and strong with all the gym work so i might as well slot some fighting skillz around it.

Last edited by m3thod (2009-10-13 17:30:18)

ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5425|Athens, GA
sports

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=131241

Last edited by ICCULUS (2009-10-07 14:43:42)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5962|Places 'n such
Did Jikishin (sp?) Ju Jitsu when i was younger, kept me incredibly healthy and made my reflexes amazing
Now, not so much
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida

m3thod wrote:

So i am thinking of taking this up.  We actually an accredited centre in Bradford much to my amazement.

http://ukgraciejiujitsu.com/page_1233247881962.html

Does anyone do this? Or an other kung fu bollocks....what should i expect apart from being beaten up.
My brother met the original Gracie, my bro's teacher trained with him for months - before he passed away
15 more years! 15 more years!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

UFC is so mainstream now.. it draws the crowd that just doesn't give a shit about technique or strategy. If you get HDnet check out inside MMA on Friday nights!
http://www.hd.net/insidemma.html

El Guapo is one of the host .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862
go for it, im learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which is the same thing(i think). Its cool to learn, but what is your purpose of learning. Self defence, competing in jiu jitsu competitions, going MMA etc
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK
learning how to break limbs.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862

m3thod wrote:

learning how to break limbs.
lol, with jiu jitsu its more grappling and submissions. You probably can break someones arm with a arm bar. I've read though that Wing Chun is one of the best when it comes to breaking limbs
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK
i was only joking.  no real reason tbh just something to do.  Another goal to attain.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862
Go for it, it takes time, maybe years to reach a good level. I've only recently started myself and its good fun. Do you go to the gym, as a general thing? cuz it does help with having upper body strength with jiu jitsu so to assist you with take downs and help with stopping them.
SealXo
+309|6536

rammunition wrote:

Go for it, it takes time, maybe years to reach a good level. I've only recently started myself and its good fun. Do you go to the gym, as a general thing? cuz it does help with having upper body strength with jiu jitsu so to assist you with take downs and help with stopping them.
this is exactly what jiu jitsus point isnt.

father gracie created bjj to take on people much bigger and stronger than him (he was what? 5 8?) and he and his family are known for taking down 250 pounders. its all about technique. royce is like 5 10 180 and he used to be able to wreck any weight class

Last edited by SealXo (2009-10-08 16:27:09)

Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6447|Boulder, CO
Aye, i always thought that jiu jitsu wasn't about being stronger but more being faster and knowing the right places to take advantage of (like ig) that would make it possible to take down much larger people even without hurting them.
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK
aye

technique end leveraging > strength and size.  Will see how it goes, going on saturday.
SealXo
+309|6536

m3thod wrote:

aye

technique end leveraging > strength and size.  Will see how it goes, going on saturday.
sweet dude.

fighting in general is all skill. I could kick ass against any doofus under 6'3 210 (im 5 11 145). Over the summer some hardcore fuck  with plugs and black hair thought id be an easy win so he decided to go after me for no reason. I told him to hit me as hard as he could while i stuck my chin out. My nose threw blood everywhere, so I started to laugh. I then proceeded to kicking him in the face, rolling a spinning backfist (making his ear bleed), then headlocking him and giving him about 5 good ones right below the eye (with my left hand ). Kicked the kids shins out so hard when it was all over he couldnt walk away. He must have been about 5'9 180.

anyways, i see him at school everyday and he avoids me now, as do all his friends. I guess I looked like a bitch to them or something, but now people know not to fuck with me.

Last edited by SealXo (2009-10-08 17:15:49)

NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6133

Kmarion wrote:

UFC is so mainstream now.. it draws the crowd that just doesn't give a shit about technique or strategy.
The tools who wear the affliction tshirts just stick out more in public.

And Method good luck, grapplers have crazy conditioning.
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK
So i went for my first lesson.  Fuckin awesome, learned how to get out headlocks from standing and grounded positions and then put the fucker in an arm lock.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas

m3thod wrote:

So i went for my first lesson.  Fuckin awesome, learned how to get out headlocks from standing and grounded positions and then put the fucker in an arm lock.
Sounds cool, I've always wanted to learn stuff like this. (especially with my smaller frame)

How much is it costing you?
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

Bevo wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Sounds cool, I've always wanted to learn stuff like this. (especially with my smaller frame)

How much is it costing you?
£5 per lesson.  But its a structured program where you learn 36 Gracie Combatives techniques into 23 one-hour classes. Then you gotta do 12 Reflex Development Classes after which you can qualify for the first rank of blue belt.

Im planning to go 3 lessons a week minimum in order to accelerate progress.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
That's not bad at all - maybe ill look into this over the summer.

What's £5 nowadays, $40? $80?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard