ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
well, I was thinking more 'traditional'. Fencing counts, archery OK, kendo/swordsmanship etc.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I liked fencing, a lot of fun.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
oh, firearms don't count
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I would say duelling is a martial art of a kind, and many of the modern pistol matches are essentially descended from that.
In the same way that judo, karate etc are stylised forms of ancient martial arts.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
interesting point. I admit I dunno much about pistol shooting except what I've seen on the olympics. In general I was thinking more hand to hand martial arts derived from classical Eastern traditions. But essentially you have to have someone you do the art with to include it in my definition. Since pistol shooting doesn't involve shooting at another person, it doesn't count here! Also, most martial arts it seems to me are descended from actual battlefield techniques (?), and duelling was off the battlefield...
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

mtb0minime wrote:

Weird. I guess our systems are different.
Yeah they are

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-10-04 07:34:34)

CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6505
@ sere: lol it's definitely a plus haha

@ shadow: it is everyday

@ ruis: yeah for real.  rather not give proof to keep her identity secret she did just get her 3rd degree black belt though and will be going to ireland in november for world championships its hardcore
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
canadianloser - that is pretty damn hardcore yeah.
Chou
+737|6789
"Since it's not competitive I guess Aikido isn't really a 'sport' as such"

I laughed out loud.
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land

Chou wrote:

"Since it's not competitive I guess Aikido isn't really a 'sport' as such"

I laughed out loud.
Why?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

@ruisleipa: Grading with colored belts are optional in almost any martial art, some use colors and some don't ... that vary from country to country.

I did various styles for a few years until a bad knee accident stopped both my martial arts and fotball career
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
A12345
+77|6468
submission grappling - brazilian jiu jitsu base heavily influenced by freestyle wrestling

might as well post a video of one of the best

i dont wear the gi though, never have never will
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
that grappling is too fuckin hardcore for me I tell ya

...and Chou I'd love to hear why you lol'd at my aikido statement, if you can be arsed to reply...which you obviously can't
A12345
+77|6468

ruisleipa wrote:

that grappling is too fuckin hardcore for me I tell ya

...and Chou I'd love to hear why you lol'd at my aikido statement, if you can be arsed to reply...which you obviously can't
try it its fun, and one of the safest combat sports you can practise and compete in at full speed.

how is aikido not competitive or a sport? you guys dont have competitions?

this is pretty much all i could find for live aikido competitions

xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6353|England - Kent
I study Eskrima with Doce Pares.

The video below was done last year at a local hall. The empty hands system is NASTY but fin

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2w5LISZooHY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2w5LISZooHY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5930|CA
This yellow belt tells 12 year olds the world over not to fuck with me.  After 27 hard fought days of practice and 13 viewings of the Karate Kid I finally achieved what I knew I could become.

Such a discipline takes endurance, inner strength, and a $39 entrance fee.  Not everyone has what it takes, or 39 bucks.  This is why I wear my belt proudly everywhere I go.  Plus, I'm a "summer";  it really brings out the blue in my eyes.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6154|Vancouver | Canada
I plan to try some Krav Maga in the near future...does that count?
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land

A12345 wrote:

how is aikido not competitive or a sport? you guys dont have competitions?

this is pretty much all i could find for live aikido competitions
That is correct, aikido is non-competitive. I have only very rarely heard of dojos engaging in competition as it is felt to go against aikido philosophy. You may also notice that in those vids you posted the attacker has a 'knife' while the defender responds to his attacks - even in those 'competitions' it's not so much one vs. one (since aikido doesn't really even teach (m)any attacking techniques) but more a test on how you react to an attack. Here's some cool info from www.aikidojournal.com which sums it up nicely. Sorry for the long cut'n'paste

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Aikido is non-violent, non-competitive, and non-resistant. Which means we try not to do any harm, win, or resist what the other person is offering us.

Aikido is a model for conflict awareness. Like most martial arts, Aikido accepts that conflict exists. While conflict may not be necessary, it appears to be a natural part of the human condition. Conflict usually means that two people want two different things and they both think they are right. We cannot deny or avoid conflict indefinitely. Therefore, our only decision is how we choose to respond to it.

Aikido is a model for conflict assessment. All conflicts imply some sense of risk. What will engaging this conflict cost you and what will it gain you? Understanding the amount of potential danger and damage is key intelligence in assessing the appropriate course of action.

Aikido is a model for conflict prevention. Most conflict is preventable by the use of humility, common sense, and good manners. Rather than assertively resisting and standing your ground, Aikido teaches to first move yourself off the line of attack. Aikido teaches you to accept the conflict or attack while maintaining a relaxed body and a calm mind. All Aikido practice or training starts with rei (etiquette), or a bow to show acknowledgement, appreciation, and respect.

Aikido is a model for conflict management. You cannot manage something without some connection with the conflict, problem, or attack. Aikido teaches to connect, enter and blend, and redirect an attack. Musubi means to connect. Irimi means to enter. Awase means to blend. The connection and blending allows the attacker to follow your movement that takes control of and redirects the inertia, momentum, and energy of the attack or conflict.

Aikido is a model for conflict resolution. The first rule to true conflict resolution is to do no, or the least amount of harm and damage possible. In true resolutions everybody wins, no one loses. For anyone to actually lose a conflict implies they will resent the loss and often retaliate whenever possible. Therefore, if there is a loss by any party in a conflict, then it has the potential to perpetuate the conflict it initially attempted to resolve. Once an attack or conflict is successfully released or controlled, let go and move on to the next one.

Life has conflicts. Our only choice is how we choose to respond and handle them. The small picture is the direct physical application of Aikido techniques in response to the prearranged attacks practiced within the safe environment of the Dojo. The larger picture is the cognitive, emotional, and spiritual application of the generic Aikido concepts and principles to conflict awareness, assessment, prevention, management, and resolution in all areas of our life.
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5979|Toronto
I like pie.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone

Simon wrote:

did judo karate for a year and gave up
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
A12345
+77|6468

ruisleipa wrote:

By the way...can anyone do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5h8ya9R … re=related
kick a guy in the balls? sure i can!

if the ball kick doesnt work i doubt his eyes can take a gouge

and just for fun

turns out joe son participated in a gang rape and assault of a young girl a few years before this, hes now been charged of several counts of rape, this was just a little karma coming at him

Last edited by A12345 (2009-11-24 23:32:47)

UrsusVonForsteck
+3|5292
Well, im from Brazil, and here the Jiu-Jitsu is very, very strong. Helio Gracie, the father, and Royce Gracie/Rickson Gracie, the sons, were the top guys on this kind of martial art. Maybe you heard about them. If not, go get their history, very rich.

I did Judo for 1 year, when i was a kid, and now, since 2005, i practice Kuo Shu (chinese boxing - looks like Muay thai, but much more technic) and Shuai Jiao (chinese judo).
Microwave
_
+515|6653|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Had my 2nd taekwondo competition a few weeks back. Got a gold medal in sparring for my category!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6471|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Used to practise karate until my back went kabluey. So damn stiff now there's no point starting it again although it was a great way to keep in shape
Aaaaand I started again My feet are killing me but this is good pain

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard