ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land
Anyone here do any martial arts? Personally I practice Aikido and have done Judo and Karate in the past. Martial arts to me are a great way to keep fit and if there is some 'spiritual' dimension then even better. Since it's not competitive I guess Aikido isn't really a 'sport' as such, but I'd be interested to know if there're any other budoists around here
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

inb4bigdicktalkaboutstyles

OT: Definitely a great workout. Just don;t turn into a tool at the office by kicking the restroom door open.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-10-03 10:34:19)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6561|Mountains of NC

did Aikido for 7 years then went into the marines

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/MCMAP1insignia.jpg/250px-MCMAP1insignia.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6466|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Used to practise karate until my back went kabluey. So damn stiff now there's no point starting it again although it was a great way to keep in shape
Microwave
_
+515|6648|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I started taekwondo at uni. Done it for a year now and I'm a green belt. Should be red by next summer!
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6836|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Been doing Karate for almost 10 years now.
ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land
seremaker - what grade did you get to?

james - whats the belt progression for taekwondo? not the same as karate by the sound of it.

sydney - you black belt then?
Simon
basically
+838|6651|UK
did judo for a year and gave up
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

ruisleipa wrote:

red

&

green
ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land
red & green? In Aikido? Weird...over here we don't have coloured belts, or we do just white/brown/black. That's a new one for me...
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

I did Taekwondo for 7 years, throughout middle school and high school. Made it all the way to 2nd Degree Black Belt
But then I moved to college and haven't done it since (aside from a few workouts here and there). I really miss it
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

yeah most do the black for instructors and white for students

while some do a ranking by belt ........ rainbow of waistbands - I call it

the green is MCMAP

Last edited by SEREMAKER (2009-10-03 13:04:09)

ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land
oh right, we do white 6-4th kyu, brown 3rd-1st, then black for dan of course. I wonder why they're different.

mtb0minime why not start again?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

I'm still at school, finishing up my last quarter. I'm considering starting again though, if I move back to my home town where I can go to the same place. Plus I also need a job to pay for that. (Fortunately my last year was free since I was helping out as an instructor )
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6511|Montucky

SEREMAKER wrote:

did Aikido for 7 years then went into the marines

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/MCMAP1insignia.jpg/250px-MCMAP1insignia.jpg
I was a Green Belt in Semper Foo
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6836|Reykjavík, Iceland.

ruisleipa wrote:

james - whats the belt progression for taekwondo? not the same as karate by the sound of it.

sydney - you black belt then?
Sadly, no. Probably at least one more year for that. Physical limitations keeping me from doing specific stuff properly, maybe I should try out yoga to get my body more flexible
Microwave
_

ruisleipa wrote:

?
Yellow tag, yellow, green tag, green etc

then blue, red, black (with the 'tags' inbetween).
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Weird. I guess our systems are different. Ours went white, orange, yellow, camouflage, green, purple, blue, brown, red, red/black (recommended black belt, basically you review all your shit up until that point), then black. Their whole thing was that there's 9 degrees of pre-BB, and then the highest rank of BB is 9th.
Microwave
_
Oh yeah, there's white belt when you first start, but it's not like you 'earn' that. Then there's different degrees/dans of black belt.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6500
I do not, wish i did The girlfriend does karate and kickboxing i think, shes pretty good too - 13 time world champion......yes she wears the pants
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

and the jockstrap

when the woman knows how to throw down ..... in the bed ............ it makes everything ALOT more interesting
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6358|California

CanadianLoser wrote:

I do not, wish i did The girlfriend does karate and kickboxing i think, shes pretty good too - 13 time world champion......yes she wears the pants
so whenever she wants fun time, its like win time for you! cause it should be every day!
ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land

CanadianLoser wrote:

13 time world champion? For real? Need evidence methinks!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
Pistol shooting, competed for England, and did fencing for a year.

Oh, I expect you mean oriental martial arts.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6658|NT, like Mick Dundee

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pistol shooting, competed for England, and did fencing for a year.

Oh, I expect you mean oriental martial arts.
I expect he means those pertaining to unarmed combat m8.

He'd probably include savat or boxing in the category. Just not shooting. Fencing sucks balls imo. Tried it and really didn't like it.

I did 3 years of karate. Brown belt. Never should have given it up.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard