U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6491|Gogledd Cymru

Mek is 20 if not 21, same age as Ted/Uzique
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

The Sheriff wrote:

mek is a dropout and a loser and has no place in a HOMEWORK thread.

this is OFFICIAL.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

The Sheriff wrote:

Dont think mek is 21. He may of just turned 20 though. Mek was talking about having finished Alevels when I was in second year of uni if i remember correctly.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6491|Gogledd Cymru

If he'd stayed in uni he'd be in his third year now, he's a year older than me, same age as bennisboiz, I can remember they both started uni at the same time.

Last edited by The Sheriff (2009-10-02 07:41:41)

ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5426|Athens, GA
this isnt the rag on mek thread, wankers
Arc
silly one-liner
+24|6461|Ontario

Bevo wrote:

WldctARCHe wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Anyone know why he crossed that bit out? I used the chain rule and then factored out the 4... don't see anything wrong?
The only reason i could see for him to cross it out would be if lamda is constant because then it wouldn't have a derivative.
If that was true, wouldn't the first half of my equation be wrong?
No the first half is fine.  y'=4(x + lambda)^3 (x^4 + lambda^4) - (x + lambda)^4 (4x^3) is correct.
When you differentiated (x + lambda)^4 you get 4(x + lambda)^3 (1 + 0) = 4(x + lambda)^3. Lambda is a constant so its derivative is 0 which is what you had for the first part but then accidentally included it in the second part.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such
can someone differentiate y=sec(2x) quickly... im tired and bored of maths. Dont need an explanation, just the answer.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

presidentsheep wrote:

can someone differentiate y=sec(2x) quickly... im tired and bored of maths. Dont need an explanation, just the answer.
http://library.wolfram.com/webMathemati … /WalkD.jsp
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas
Okies, need help differentiating something difficult

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/19950/3.jpg

thoughts? I think I did it correctly, but when I start substituting the 3pi/4 and pi/2, I end up with square roots that I'm not supposed to have. The final answer is -11/384, but I think I messed up somewhere because those square roots probably won't cancel...

Last edited by Bevo (2009-12-02 19:34:25)

Backupwayback
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
+73|6302

Bevo wrote:

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/19950/3.jpg

thoughts? I think I did it correctly, but when I start substituting the 3pi/4 and pi/2, I end up with square roots that I'm not supposed to have. The final answer is -11/384, but I think I messed up somewhere because those square roots probably won't cancel...
ITS SIDEWAYS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas

Backupwayback wrote:

Bevo wrote:

ITS SIDEWAYS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK
wat?
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California

Bevo wrote:

I want your handwriting please! would help but I took Calculus like a year ago ;\
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT
You mean integrating? If so, this is a good idea. Just omit the C (as you ignore it for definite integration), set the result in the familiar brackets, and solve. I don't have the time to work it myself, as I am also struggling through a calculus problem set, but that should help you enough to get the answer you need.

Just tried out of curiosity and I don't think it works. Let me check something else.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-12-02 19:49:58)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6709|67.222.138.85
dude l2wolfram

and you don't do integration by parts when you have sin and cos to some absurd powers, the trick is breaking them up so you can write them in udu form...which it looks like you were doing well Bevo. I am not quite sure you broke it up right, but definitely going in the right direction. I know there is always a trick about whenever sin is raised to an odd power and cos to an even power do x, when both even do y, etc. but I can't remember what it is. Might try to look for that/come up with it yourself though, makes things much more striaghtforward to get some solid general rules.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas
yer, im trying to integrate by parts, and I tried to follow an example, but it gives me a fucking odd answer, I shouldn't have that sqrt of 2, it makes everything infinitely more difficult

I have the correct method, I just did something wrong and cannot find my error.

edit: fm I have, but it doesn't do integration by parts, it does some weird fucking shit that gets me nowhere

Last edited by Bevo (2009-12-02 19:48:38)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

dude l2wolfram
fuckin EiT's @ work all have that bookmarked. after i don't know how many years @ school, they'll howl every time i delete the shortcut and they can't remember how to get it back!

Last edited by burnzz (2009-12-02 19:50:14)

Flaming_Maniac
yeah because you don't do it as integration by parts

like this
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas
yeah the trick is to break off a single sinx and cosx and use them as the DX and then just set u = sinx or cosx and raise them to a power so you can integrate cleanly. which i did.

but when I start to substitute, it gets ugly.
Flaming_Maniac
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=in … s^3%28x%29

I mean if you get that equation by hand christ just write the answer on the next line.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+sin^5%28x%29cos^3%28x%29

I mean if you get that equation by hand christ just write the answer on the next line.
it doesn't work that nicely, and I have no idea why wolfram insists on making everything cosine. the answer is provided in the book, there's no mystery to that, it's about process. we have a limited number of examples worked out because our prof is a 70 year old douche and doesn't like to teach.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT
Solved it using a lovely trig trick. Try isolating cos^2(x) from the initial expression and seeing which succession of power reduction and double-angle formulas is beneficial to solving the problem. You'll need one of each. Try it and tell me if you can't solve it.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-12-02 20:00:02)

Flaming_Maniac
Look at the last three lines, those are all the same thing. In the second to last line they just factored it, and I think the last is to make it easier to write as a series.

If you get one of those three lines then you know how to integrate it and you suck at plugging numbers in. That is the work of a calculator. If you can't use a TI-83 or better to do that and/or are not making a stupid mistake right now and you actually are unable to simplify it, then yeah you should work on it. Plugging in numbers to a definite integral can't be the point though.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT
Nevermind, I think I cheated a step. Still, check the answer with a graphing calculator to ensure the book is correct.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-12-02 20:16:50)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas

nukchebi0 wrote:

Nevermind, I think I cheated a step. Still, check the answer with a graphing calculator to ensure the book is correct.
Not doing trig sub before I split doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere... I guess I shall
Flaming_Maniac
wolfram got it right

seriously learn the tao of wolfram

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard