Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|5018|Dundee, Scotland.
Yup, LBJ Is correcto, some older card don't need power from the PSU, and the PhysX settings are in nvidia control panel, you just need to set it as the dedicated PhysX card.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Benzin
+576|6048

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Yes the GT430 (and similarly low end cards) do not need a power connector as they can gain sufficient power from the pcie slot.

And yes you can have a dedicated Physx card. However, this is not SLi, it is just having a dedicated Physx card (as such you don't need an SLi bridge, you just have to enable the card as Physx). You can certainly run monitors off a Physx capable card, however I'm not sure what impact that would have on your in-game physx performance. Also, there aren't a huge amount of games that support physx so unless you play these games regularly it's not such a big deal and you can just run pretty much any card normally for your extra monitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX#PhysX_in_video_games

Camm wrote:

Yup, LBJ Is correcto, some older card don't need power from the PSU, and the PhysX settings are in nvidia control panel, you just need to set it as the dedicated PhysX card.
Cheers, guys! I'm still debating getting the card (it's only €40, though) - my two monitors are 1920x1080 and 1680x1050, but my TV is a 720p. Just wondering how much it would cut off and if it's really worth it or if the money might be better spent on a BD-ROM drive (I'm leaning towards this and just dealing with the Windows Control Panel). Still on the fence, though. We'll see.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6461|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Time for more upgrades!

I've come to realize that the PSU on my machine is sadly outdated. 300W giving me 19A on the 12V rail.
Any suggestions on the 500W/600W range that would meet a minimum of 30A on the 12V rails?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6198|'straya
Specs/price range? Otherwise I'd just say go all out and get a Seasonic X-650 and enjoy your 54A on the 12V rail

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2012-02-16 20:51:34)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5635

Hey, Tech section. So I got a three month subscription to a video streaming site through a promotion. (UFC TV).

So do you guys have any programs I can use to keep a copy of the videos?
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6461|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
I suppose that's only logical to list

- Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 ghz
- 3G RAM
- Windows Vista 32 bit
- Nvidia 560ti

I'm working piece by piece to upgrade my PC over a period of time, as it is I have a Frankenputer.
Price range preferably under 100, but if its a bit over (like the Seasonic you mentioned) I can work that. Whichever happens to be the best value to performance ration in any case.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6198|'straya
Really any good brand 550w+ PSU will do the job.

If you're looking to save some money then something like an Antec TP-550 would do just fine.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as … 6817371020

If you want a bit of extra room for upgrades/overclocks a TX-650 is also a good option. It has got plenty of power, only downside is that it's not modular but I don't know whether that is a big deal for you (personally I like modular PSUs but it's not crucial).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as … k=tx%20650

If you wanted to go modular then the HX-650 is good option and the X-650 is an even better PSU. Mainly just depends on how much you want to spend.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6547

heh, Tech: Open Thread; 10,000 replies . . .

i recently got an SSD and was going to revive an older machine. then i noticed that this machine needs an overhaul, and Splinter said something

SplinterStrike wrote:

I'm working piece by piece to upgrade my PC over a period of time,
that got me thinking about how i would start an upgrade.

i would start at the motherboard, even if it meant CPU and ram right away.

how would you guys do it?
Benzin
+576|6048
Get the SSD first. If your processor is at least a dual core, you're fine for now. SSD for system drive with Windows 7, use old HDDs for storage (relink your libraries) and then begin working on the rest.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6547

13urnzz wrote:

i recently got an SSD
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6825|Moscow, Russia
unless there's no cpu's available for the motherboard i have i'd go for cpu first.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5800|شمال

13urnzz wrote:

i would start at the motherboard, even if it meant CPU and ram right away.
indeed.. how big is the ssd?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Benzin
+576|6048
Oh, sorry. Somehow missed that key point. What about GPU? Maybe that would be a better upgrade for now?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6547

the SSD is 128gb.
Splinter's post also reminded me, because i currently run
on an asus formula board (which has been rock solid) and i really want to see what the X79 express chipsets are about.

edit; GPU is ati 5850, running 3 screens @ 1920x1200

Last edited by 13urnzz (2012-02-17 08:15:31)

NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6391|Atlanta, Georgia
I remember i wont a physics card off of an Xfire contest a few years ago. Would it do me any good installing it in my PC?

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdeta … ;rid=fd_10

I dont think it will but im just making sure.

Last edited by NeXuS (2012-02-17 08:18:20)

Benzin
+576|6048

NeXuS wrote:

I remember i wont a physics card off of an Xfire contest a few years ago. Would it do me any good installing it in my PC?

Depends on the games you play...
Beduin
+510|5800|شمال

13urnzz wrote:

the SSD is 128gb.
Splinter's post also reminded me, because i currently run
on an asus formula board (which has been rock solid) and i really want to see what the X79 express chipsets are about.

edit; GPU is ati 5850, running 3 screens @ 1920x1200
Your setup is ok.

You will really experience the potential of X79 (sandy-e) platform if you are doing alot of image editing, video encoding and computer aided design. When it comes to games, the sandy bridge beats the sandy-e (single gpu, single monitor..it might look different on multi gpu/monitor setup). Ivy bridge-e will be out by the end of this year, you will be able to upgrade your X79 cpu since the socket, LGA2011, is the same.

You can also wait for ivy bridge (LGA1155), which has 20% better performance than the sandy bridge (LGA1155)...no one can say how it would perform against X79, but we will see...

Am looking for sandy-e myself, prob used...I dont wanna sell my sandy setup, before trying an ivy cpu
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6391|Atlanta, Georgia

CapnNismo wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

Depends on the games you play...
Lol BF
Beduin
+510|5800|شمال
https://i.imgur.com/RNMCw.jpg
New logo..no more flags, now its just windows..lol
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6547

Beduin wrote:

New logo..no more flags, now its just windows..lol
wow, micro$oft broke the budget designing the new logo eh?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6361

dat perspective
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6825|Moscow, Russia
i'm definitely skipping that 8th shit. nothing new. again.
Benzin
+576|6048
/facepalm

Shahter, you're still on XP, aren't you? Get with the times.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6825|Moscow, Russia

CapnNismo wrote:

/facepalm

Shahter, you're still on XP, aren't you? Get with the times.
no, i'm not. i would've been hadn't hardware manufacturers and microsoft stopped (quality) support for it. i switched to linux and only boot into seven to play games. until similar fuckup with support happens to seven i'm not paying microsoft a price of full new os for a dubious overhaul of an older one, (edit) which will most probably allow me to skip 8 like i skipped vista.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-02-19 04:06:53)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5838|Catherine Black
don't pay then..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard