mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6748|Oxferd Ohire
microsoft is starting to put those in everything
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Benzin
+576|6010

RTHKI wrote:

microsoft is starting to put those in everything
Yes, it's called the Metro UI and a unification of the Microsoft ecosystem. Every company does it...
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6748|Oxferd Ohire
not a huge fan of it on xbox
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6471|UK

RTHKI wrote:

not a huge fan of it on xbox
Urgh it's awful I'm not won over by the update. Only good thing is they added youtube and 4od. They both seem slow as shite though.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6670|BC, Canada
New service provider set up today. So !
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

Shaw, Telus, or Rogers?
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6670|BC, Canada
Switched to telus from shaw.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

shitty internet connection or shitty customer service or both?  what kind of modem did you have?
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6670|BC, Canada

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

shitty internet connection or shitty customer service or both?  what kind of modem did you have?
Both, internet connection had huge and unacceptable packet loss problems during and peak usage periods, (got 41% packet loss the other night). Apparently they have node line congestion issues that they just aren't fixing fast enough.

Customer service was the worst I've ever experienced, I'm pretty damn sure they were trolling me, which isn't really acceptable for a company you have given thousands of dollars to. 4 months of getting the run around from them, when the issue was on their end. Not to mention how hard it is to get a hold of them...

All in all, I thought Telus was bad when I left them before, Shaw was good when it was good, but when it got bad, it got really bad...

also: SB1502 cable modem.

Last edited by -Whiteroom- (2012-01-13 19:33:55)

CC-Marley
+407|6840
Question guys. I've just moved to an apartment that uses the cable from the main house. I just learned that I can't use a second modem for my pc and their wireless signal is less than perfect at my location. How are those wifi signal boosters I've read about? Anybody have any experience with them. Or any suggestions on what I can do? I hate wifi.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

CapnNismo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

MS is showing off W8 right now

dear god they couldn't make it any more obvious they're trying to emulate OSX
Been doing it since Windows 0
Really? They were emulating OSX before OSX even existed? /facepalm But honestly, if you guys think any of the OS's are 100% original, you need to wake the fuck up.
And Apple copied Xerox, so fair's fair.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN

CC-Marley wrote:

Question guys. I've just moved to an apartment that uses the cable from the main house. I just learned that I can't use a second modem for my pc and their wireless signal is less than perfect at my location. How are those wifi signal boosters I've read about? Anybody have any experience with them. Or any suggestions on what I can do? I hate wifi.
What ISP is it?  Some ISPs allow more than 1 cable modem per account.  I do know that Comcast allows more than one now.  You just have to pay the additional rental cost for the second modem.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
So we started wiring the house today.  We have a total of 9 RJ-45 ports in the house and maybe a 10th for the Sprint Airvana.

https://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jskilnyk/The%20Phone/2012-01-16_20-28-37_647.jpg

https://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jskilnyk/The%20Phone/2012-01-16_20-29-16_969.jpg

https://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jskilnyk/The%20Phone/2012-01-16_20-29-26_212.jpg

We ran out of Cat 6 cable so we had to run and get Cat 5e instead.  I'm hoping I get my 16 port switch tomorrow as well as the Airvana.
CC-Marley
+407|6840

Naturn wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

What ISP is it?  Some ISPs allow more than 1 cable modem per account.  I do know that Comcast allows more than one now.  You just have to pay the additional rental cost for the second modem.
Everything I've read of the Comcast forum says otherwise. Oh well. Does WiFi suck for gaming?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN

CC-Marley wrote:

Naturn wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

Everything I've read of the Comcast forum says otherwise. Oh well. Does WiFi suck for gaming?
Well the funny thing is I called Comcast AND talk to a tech that installed the cable at my house.  They both told me I could get a second one.  However, it might be official policy not too.  Yes, wireless is generally not good for gaming.  It would even more so with a repeater.

You might get better latency if it was in the 5Ghz range, because the 2.4Ghz range is very crowed right now.

Edit: If you can get a second modem ask for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.(Comcast)  Comcast every couple years, upgrades certain tiers of their internet speeds.  It would be far less trouble to take advantage of those free upgrades if you had a new modem.  Its not extra charge ether for one.

Last edited by Naturn (2012-01-16 17:59:18)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

you cant run a wired connection to it?
CC-Marley
+407|6840
It's an apartment off their garage. About 80-100 ft away form their modem/router. Comcast would think of it as another address if I called them and I'm not drilling holes in my new landlords house. I may have to find a new place........
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

I can get you a docsis 3 cable modem for about half the price comcast would charge if you need it.

Do you work off their router or do you have your own? It may be better to use the wireless signal from the modem to your own router than to use a wireless signal from their router to your computer
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN

CC-Marley wrote:

It's an apartment off their garage. About 80-100 ft away form their modem/router. Comcast would think of it as another address if I called them and I'm not drilling holes in my new landlords house. I may have to find a new place........
Did you ask your landlords if you could get cable installed?  Mine back when I had my own place allowed me to do so.
CC-Marley
+407|6840
It's already wired with cable.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
The question still stands.  Will they allow you to have Comcast come out and install a separate account?
CC-Marley
+407|6840
They would, but why would I want to pay for cable/internet when it's included in my rent?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Because, it would give you a much better connection than running wireless.  I mean unless you want to run a network cable from their house.(Max 295ft.)
CC-Marley
+407|6840
maybe they will let me run the modem/wifi from my apt.....
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Hopefully I didn't come off the wrong way, just trying to help.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard