Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
yeah, i completely understand that. the thing is, i've been working more on other people's stuff than my own - i guess that gives one a touch of responsibility and helps focus on doing stuff in order.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Kmar wrote:

I've went through about a half dozen laptop coolers. So has everyone I know that uses them.. pretty much. Those things really aren't build to last. I've tried every brand in the book. Granted I use the hell out of my laptop and am constantly packing it up and unpacking.

But even when they break (the fans stop working) I still keep it on the tray to allow proper circulation.
I bought two from office depot. One cools the PS3, the other cools the Vaio. None of them have broke down yet. I guess some people just get unlucky. Don't use it when the thing's directly on my lap, though. And when I do, it's on one of those hard platforms with the beanbag cushioning.

Kmar wrote:

Shit, I can take anything apart..lol. Putting it meticulously back together might be beyond my skill though. I usually end up with extra screws and strange sounds.
Nearly threw my DS Lite out the window when I first went to take it apart. Had to special-order screwdrivers for it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Mine gets packed up in a laptop backpack about 5 times a day. They last about 2 months.

Which one did you get from Office D? I usually buy from them also. Pretty sure I've bought them all ..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Zalman ZM-NC2000. Variable speed, USB ports. If I had a desk that I considered disposable, I'd just cut two holes into a part of it and install my own fans for even greater airflow.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Yep I've owned it. The problem is usually the wiring. You've got to be careful, they come loose pretty easily. I've actually rewired a few.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

*checks*

Yup, still up and running. I'd probably have been forced to fix it if I took my laptop (and it) on more trips, but the setup is all but a desktop replacement.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If I had a desk that I considered disposable, I'd just cut two holes into a part of it and install my own fans for even greater airflow.
hey, that sounds like a great idea.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If I had a desk that I considered disposable, I'd just cut two holes into a part of it and install my own fans for even greater airflow.
A better one would just be to build a raised platform to put on top of your desk if you didn't have the guts to drill giant holes into the surface.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

A better one would just be to build a raised platform to put on top of your desk if you didn't have the guts to drill giant holes into the surface.
nah, i used to work as a carpenter, i can drill holes like you wouldn't believe .
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

tuckergustav wrote:

okay i will post it here then to see if we can figure this out...and burnzz...typing out the full name didn't work either...

hold on

I have a list of names at the top of the page.  I would like the browser to click on the name and be taken to a point on the page with a paragraph about the person...

code for list of names

Code:

<a href="#lalbert">Larry Albert</a>
code at the paragraph

Code:

<a href="artists.html#lalbert">Larry Albert</a>
If it is on the same page do I need the html?

what am i doing wrong?
Late to the party, but...

List:
<a href="#lalbert">Larry Albert</a>

Paragraph:
<a name="lalbert">Larry Albert</a>
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Shahter wrote:

nah, i used to work as a carpenter, i can drill holes like you wouldn't believe .
/holesaw. easymode

It's not the ability to drill holes, it's the willingness to drill them into your desk. Mine cost a pretty penny, so if I wanted more laptop airflow, it'd either be the platform or drilling holes into a rolling mini-table for it. Right now, the cooler is more than sufficient, and I could prop that up on a couple sticks if I wanted to improve things.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
Browsing forums is still bringing my CPU up to 70°C I've put my PC level, and I made thingy to hold my PC on my lap but have the bottom of my laptop clear so air can flow easier.

Next step fan

What's the hottest a CPU should get before it's bad for it?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Browsing forums is still bringing my CPU up to 70°C I've put my PC level, and I made thingy to hold my PC on my lap but have the bottom of my laptop clear so air can flow easier.

Next step fan

What's the hottest a CPU should get before it's bad for it?
You can check on the processor's specification page.

General >80C is bad, but they're build to withstand up to 100 for a small amount of time.

My PC idles on ~30C and hardly ever goes beyond 50 on full load.

60C if I decide to OC it to 4GHz.

i7 930 - Mega Shadow heat sink. Push pull fan setup.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
I hate using laptops for gaming. I wish I kept my gaming rig...

why why why why why why why didn't I find a way to bring it with me...
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Shit, I cannot decide between nVidia and ATI right now. I've read so many problems with Catalyst drivers on ATI that it just sounds like too much hassle.

Also, BF3 will be supported by nVidia, right? I think it might be safer to go nVidia even if I sacrifice a bit of performance...

Thoughts? Max budget is £250.
Benzin
+576|5998
NVidia. AMD have stout graphics but the optimization will always favor NVidia cards. That's the glory of market share.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Looks like the GTX570 is the best option then.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

CapnNismo wrote:

NVidia. AMD have stout graphics but the optimization will always favor NVidia cards. That's the glory of market share.
this
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
I don't know, the market is pretty damn even right now. Whichever way you go, you won't be disappointed, but, yes, I think nVidia may just have the edge.

PS, don't believe the trolls, there's nothing wrong with ATi drivers and hasn't been since about 2009.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
"drivers"? find me a place where somebody mentioned those in reply to his question.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Finray wrote:

I don't know, the market is pretty damn even right now. Whichever way you go, you won't be disappointed, but, yes, I think nVidia may just have the edge.

PS, don't believe the trolls, there's nothing wrong with ATi drivers and hasn't been since about 2009.
That's wrong, very wrong. I keep up to date with the Catalyst driver creator on Twitter and there's been many problems over the years (and there are currently problems with The Witcher 2 and the Catalyst drivers).

After looking at lots of benchmarks, the GTX570 Overclocked has the edge over the 6970HD.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
I just went AMD. Am fucking impressed!!!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
it's not so much drivers - synthetic tests like 3dmark usually run just fine and i'd say ati would probably be ahead atm in pure power/cost department - as it's developers favoring one brand over another. i had a fair share of both ati and nvidia cards, and there are always games that are better on one and worse on another. still, nvidia certainly comes on top in this regard.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Shahter wrote:

it's not so much drivers - synthetic tests like 3dmark usually run just fine and i'd say ati would probably be ahead atm in pure power/cost department - as it's developers favoring one brand over another. i had a fair share of both ati and nvidia cards, and there are always games that are better on one and worse on another. still, nvidia certainly comes on top in this regard.
That's all I'm really worried about, and I know EA will be backed by nVidia for a long time to come.

The 570 OC is only £29 more than the 6950HD (I can BIOS flash it to a 6970) and outperforms it in most benchmarks. It's hard finding 2560x1600 benchmarks though, because that is what I'll be running it on.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
http://www.ixbt.com/video3/i0411-video.shtml

it's all in russian, but scroll down a bit and you'll see plenty of benchmarks (including the res you need) - just click any you are interested in, it's all numbers, should be self explanatory.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard