-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada

Jaekus wrote:

menzo wrote:

i only has 5TB
500GB reprezent.
320GB bitch, I win!
Only using 36GB of that mofo too! suck on that.

Last edited by Nic (2011-01-18 17:43:19)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6512

i've got 32 g in my laptop . . .
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6552|Long Island, New York
500GB macbook HDD, whatup
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada

burnzz wrote:

Lies!!!!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6167|what

burnzz wrote:

a 32gb iphone has more power than your laptop.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5193|Sydney

Nic wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

menzo wrote:

i only has 5TB
500GB reprezent.
320GB bitch, I win!

I've only got about 46GB free. Mind you I could probably delete a few things as I despise clutter on my computer, but cbf at the moment.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6512

Nic wrote:

burnzz wrote:

Lies!!!!
sadly, no. hardly ever use it. i've got 10 TB in my lan, altogether . . .
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada

Jaekus wrote:

Nic wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

500GB reprezent.
320GB bitch, I win!

I've only got about 46GB free. Mind you I could probably delete a few things as I despise clutter on my computer, but cbf at the moment.
Its got me thinking I could probably drop a 60GB ssd in there and get by on it. I may wait till 100-120GB drop in price though.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6300|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

burnzz wrote:

sshh! let floppy learn the hard way! it's the only way . . . aw fuck it, who'm i kidding.
itt Idiots

mikkel wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

mikkel wrote:

RAID is redundancy. It isn't backup.
RAID1 = Mirror

If one drive dies, I only have to replace it, and no data will be lost since the other drive has the same data...

I'd call that the same as doing a on-pc backup on a seperate disc...
Then you're less than clever. You are aware of what the 'R' stands for, right? It doesn't stand for "backup," because RAID isn't backup.
Will you just shut the fuck up?

Is it not true that if one drive dies and I have two in RAID1 I can replace said drive and move on like NOTHING ever happened? ok ty bye...

AussieReaper wrote:

And if you get a virus you infect two hard drives.

lol

Kind of negates the plan for a backup if that happens...
I have used common sense for ~5 years now, and I have NEVER had a virus... Even if I did, what do I care when the RAIDed drives are for non-system / non-boot / non-auto-executing stuff... yeah that will be so hard to extract stuff from if infected by a non-executed trojan right? HURRRRRR!

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-01-18 17:54:37)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada
I live life on the edge, no back ups! oh wait, some back ups.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5193|Sydney

Nic wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Nic wrote:

320GB bitch, I win!

Its got me thinking I could probably drop a 60GB ssd in there and get by on it. I may wait till 100-120GB drop in price though.
Nice!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6167|what

Wait, so you're not even backing up your OS at all, and want to have a RAID system so that your non-system / non-boot / non-auto-executing stuff is protected, but only if one of the drives fails?

FloppY_
­

AussieReaper wrote:

Wait, so you're not even backing up your OS at all, and want to have a RAID system so that your non-system / non-boot / non-auto-executing stuff is protected, but only if one of the drives fails?

How hard is this to understand...

RAID1 mirror my discs is basically an automatic version of doing constant backups to a seperate HDD

It saves me the hassle of worrying about when my drive breaks and I lose <1month worth of new stuff since my last backup...

It gives me -1 backup I have to do every month

A fresh windows install is great, not like it takes more than an hour to get back to how it was...

The only stuff that matters if your PC for some reason dies is the DATA you got, be that movies, pictures, downloads, docs. etc...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-01-18 18:02:02)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6167|what

But the chances are that a hhd will just suddenly fail is extremely low.

And you can usually tell when it's time to replace a hdd and still backup everything before it does die.
FloppY_
­

AussieReaper wrote:

But the chances are that a hhd will just suddenly fail is extremely low.

And you can usually tell when it's time to replace a hdd and still backup everything before it does die.
Say that to my old HDD

Day x:
Woop-de-doo everything running fine and normal like new...

Day x+1:
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6167|what

What did you do, throw your motherboard down a flight of stairs? lol

And why buy the same brand of hdd, if the first was such fail?
FloppY_
­

AussieReaper wrote:

What did you do, throw your motherboard down a flight of stairs? lol

And why buy the same brand of hdd, if the first was such fail?
I'm not, the one that crashed and burned was a WD Raptor... and I didn't even move the PC between day x and x+1

I have used tons of Spinpoints in various machines since I got my own F1, and I have NEVER seen a DOA or a fail :p

EDIT: you say you can tell? Do you mean by all your files starting to corrupt? lol...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-01-18 18:23:37)

mikkel
+383|6615

FloppY_ wrote:

mikkel wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

RAID1 = Mirror

If one drive dies, I only have to replace it, and no data will be lost since the other drive has the same data...

I'd call that the same as doing a on-pc backup on a seperate disc...
Then you're less than clever. You are aware of what the 'R' stands for, right? It doesn't stand for "backup," because RAID isn't backup.
Will you just shut the fuck up?

Is it not true that if one drive dies and I have two in RAID1 I can replace said drive and move on like NOTHING ever happened?
Yes. That's redundancy. It's not backup.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6167|what

FloppY_ wrote:

EDIT: you say you can tell? Do you mean by all your files starting to corrupt? lol...
HDD failures can be seen when you get BSOD, slow write/read times, odd noises coming from the hdd, etc etc

It do not take a genius to view that.
FloppY_
­

AussieReaper wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

HDD failures can be seen when you get BSOD, slow write/read times, odd noises coming from the hdd, etc etc

It do not take a genius to view that.
Harddrives seem to go from fine to fucked for me skipping anything in between
Benzin
+576|6013

mikkel wrote:

Seriously mikkel, just shut the hell up. You're arguing over a VERY technical meaning of a word when essentially, they're the same with perhaps only a small difference in how one goes about executing the method to achieve the result.

You can tell Floppy is angry, why the fuck do you have to keep on digging in? Just learn to let it be.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5803|Catherine Black
Woot, HDD is here...

No idea what I'm gonna do with it. Currently got about 1TB free HDD space already. Time to add another 500GB to that.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6326

Download more of the internets
FloppY_
­

Finray wrote:

Woot, HDD is here...

No idea what I'm gonna do with it. Currently got about 1TB free HDD space already. Time to add another 500GB to that.
RAID1 inb4 U MAD?
mikkel
+383|6615

CapnNismo wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Seriously mikkel, just shut the hell up. You're arguing over a VERY technical meaning of a word when essentially, they're the same with perhaps only a small difference in how one goes about executing the method to achieve the result.
There are other threads on this forum in which the detailed reasons for why RAID isn't backup are spelled out so that even idiots can understand it. Some idiots, at least. To suggest that RAID is "essentially the same" as a backup suggests that you have absolutely no idea about what you're trying to lecture others on.

Sit down, be quiet, and read the other threads if you want to avoid being dense in the future.

Last edited by mikkel (2011-01-19 07:40:32)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard