Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

I replaced the backlight bulb a bit too violently.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6294|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I replaced the backlight bulb a bit too violently.
lolwtf

How do you make a scratch/crack THERE and that big by replacing a bulb Screwdriver slip?

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-08-10 05:52:48)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

I dropped it. There was first just a crack at the dark area to the right, but it grows every time I move the laptop
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6294|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I dropped it. There was first just a crack at the dark area to the right, but it grows every time I move the laptop
Better start looking for a salvage monitor
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

That ain't gonna happen. I'm gonna have to buy a new panel off of Ebay.

Good thing they're just ~100€.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5796|Catherine Black
If they're 'just' €100, can I borrow €20?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

Finray wrote:

Sure, if you can find a new panel for 80.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-08-10 08:09:52)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5796|Catherine Black

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Finray wrote:

Lol. You should get a social life, then you'll realise the true worth of €100. That's at least 3 nights out.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

Finray wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Finray wrote:

Lol. You should get a social life, then you'll realise the true worth of €100. That's at least 3 nights out.
You should get a job, then you'll realize how little 100€ really is.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5969|Places 'n such
Cba to make a proper thread for this, but i have a spare wireless netgear router kicking about that i'm trying to use as a repeater or something to extend the pre-existing wireless signal from the d-link router... Is it possible?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

That depends on if the firmware supports it. Most WLAN routers don't, but Netgear tend to be quite generous with such options. Check the manual.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5969|Places 'n such

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That depends on if the firmware supports it. Most WLAN routers don't, but Netgear tend to be quite generous with such options. Check the manual.
hmmmm, box was thrown away quite a while ago. will try to find the pdf version
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6675

I'm only getting a 7.0 Windows Experience Index on my OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Is the test wack and including my WD Black in the numbers?  What are optimal SSD settings when using as an OS drive?

Thanks.
Microwave
_
+515|6663|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Take the Windows Experience Index with a pinch of salt.

A MASSIVE pinch of salt.
TravisC555
+118|6227|Cox Convention Center, OK

Ilocano wrote:

I'm only getting a 7.0 Windows Experience Index on my OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Is the test wack and including my WD Black in the numbers?  What are optimal SSD settings when using as an OS drive?

Thanks.
Pretty sure it uses your OS drive. If you click on "View and print detailed performance and system information" it will tell you the size of the hard drive it analyzed, and you can determine if that is your OS one or not.  BTW the max score is 7.9
Bevo
Nah
+718|6529|Austin, Texas
Winst/others/audio

I should be getting my replacement studio monitor soon - but I still don't know about cabling. The RCA cable "works" for my ipod, but still creates a static storm when plugged into my laptop's integrated or external sound card. Is this the cause of cheap cables? Why doesn't it affect my ipod?

Should I get a split TRS connection instead?

cheers
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

It's because your laptop has poor power regulators. It's probably better if you disconnect the AC adapter.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6529|Austin, Texas

Freezer7Pro wrote:

It's because your laptop has poor power regulators. It's probably better if you disconnect the AC adapter.
Wow, you're 100% right. Shit. Is there any way to... uh... remedy the problem? I have a studio XPS 16, it doesn't run a terribly long time on battery. I have a 9-cell that I can use though. I'd like to be able to keep it juiced since it will just be sitting here on my desk when it's playing music. Alternatives (besides another audio out)?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

You could try getting a new AC adapter, but I wouldn't count on it. There's probably not a whole lot to do but getting an external DAC/sound card with its own discrete power supply.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6675

UPS won't help the AC adapter?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6529|Austin, Texas

Freezer7Pro wrote:

You could try getting a new AC adapter, but I wouldn't count on it. There's probably not a whole lot to do but getting an external DAC/sound card with its own discrete power supply.
I have a higher voltage (I believe) AC adapter, could that help?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

Ilocano wrote:

No, as the noise is caused by the AC adapter itself.

Bevo wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Well, it could, if the other adapter is in better shape (newer or used less), it could help. No harm in trying. But I do fear that there isn't a whole lot to do about it, as it could just as well be the voltage regulators in the laptop itself causing the noise.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6529|Austin, Texas

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Well, it could, if the other adapter is in better shape (newer or used less), it could help. No harm in trying. But I do fear that there isn't a whole lot to do about it, as it could just as well be the voltage regulators in the laptop itself causing the noise.
Nope, same shit. Damn. Would a cheapo USB DAC do the trick?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6205|Winland

Bevo wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Nope, same shit. Damn. Would a cheapo USB DAC do the trick?
Not as long as it doesn't use a power supply separate from the computer.
Benzin
+576|6007
I'm going through my build spreadsheet again (because I have nothing better to do at the moment) and I am reassessing the idea of buying an ATi 5850 card and thinking more about a 460 1GB. The only thing stopping me from getting Nvidia was the fact that the ATi cards carry audio and video over a single HDMI port and I constantly use my computer to hook into my TV (VGA cables and the audio cable is too much of a pain and too large), so being able to route the HDMI cable through my wall and use that as a single cable was what I was really looking forward to doing.

Now I am reading this Tech Report article and it says:

Page 2 wrote:

Here's a surprise: the GTX 460 supports bitstream audio over HDMI for Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. I believe that's a first for Nvidia graphics cards, and it should make the GTX 460 a nice candidate for an HTPC system.
If I am reading this correctly, then that means that this Nvidia card will do exactly what I want the ATi card to do, correct? Or would I have to use one HDMI port for audio and the other video? Help me out here. I think my first guess is the correct one, I'm just looking for confirmation on this one.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard