Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6358|Winland

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

I will never buy one for my own money... much rather get a much better desktop for less and a 15" laptop you can actually carry around without needing a forklift...
Girly man, why don't you buy a skirt while you're at it?
pfft...

The whole point of a laptop is to be portable... If you get a 17" you might aswell carry around a desktop
A 17" laptop is perfectly portable. If anything, it weighs half a kilogram more. I, for one, couldn't care less if my laptop weighs 2.5 or 3kg, because I'm not a faggot.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6728|NYC / Hamburg

17'' aren't that bulky. They're what? 20% heavier than the 15'' counterparts? Size is hardly and issue. They both need to be carried in a bag.

Hell, I can hardly tell which one of my laptops (I have 12'', 15'' and 17'' models) is in my backpack when it's packed with my usual university stuff unless I look inside.

As long as you don't walk everywhere, it makes no difference.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6820|BC, Canada

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

I will never buy one for my own money... much rather get a much better desktop for less and a 15" laptop you can actually carry around without needing a forklift...
pfft...

The whole point of a laptop is to be portable... If you get a 17" you might aswell carry around a desktop
I really dont see how a 17" is any less portable than a 15", unless your a small child. Besides once I get mine it will be my main, so bigger size matters.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas
How much would a set of decent mid-range speakers cost me?

Last edited by Bevo (2010-07-25 12:02:11)

Microwave
_
+515|6816|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Imagine you're sat on some kind of transport and you're trying to balance and manuvour a 17" on your lap. I'm telling you, it's difficult.

Which is why I have a 13" laptop
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

Bevo wrote:

The question you want to be asking, is "I have * amount of money, what speakers can I get?"

Microwave wrote:

Imagine you're sat on some kind of transport and you're trying to balance and manuvour a 17" on your lap. I'm telling you, it's difficult.

Which is why I have a 13" laptop
I use my 17" laptop in cars and buses on a daily basis, and I actually find it more comfortable than doing the same with my 12" one.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Microwave
_
Easier to knock on stuff, damage, annoy people etc.

Laptops were primarily designed to be portable, a smaller size is intrinsically more portable.

Now, onto Bevo's speakers....!
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

Microwave wrote:

Easier to knock on stuff, damage, annoy people etc.

Laptops were primarily designed to be portable, a smaller size is intrinsically more portable.
I don't flail my computer around like a madman on the bus. If owners of small laptops need to do that, I feel sorry for them. To add, if you have a laptop of any size that breaks from getting used on the bus, without you getting assaulted, you clearly bought a very poor laptop.

Yes, a smaller computer is "more portable", but there's nothing saying that a 17" laptop isn't portable enough for normal use. The fact that I use mine just like I used the 15" one I had before proves that point.
Microwave
_
Ffs.... :facepalm:   nevermind.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Bevo wrote:

The question you want to be asking, is "I have * amount of money, what speakers can I get?"
I have a fair bit of money, I don't know how much I want to spend. I don't want to spend $100 on speakers if they're going to sound like my $40 speakers. I don't want to spend $300 on speakers if I won't be able to tell the difference between those and $200 speakers.

There's a "sweet spot" for computers - I'd say it's at about $900-$1000, where the value of upgrading past that diminishes quickly for common uses. Where is that for speaker quality?

edit: Assume I have nothing. No amps, no systems. Also, the amount of open space on my desk is very small.

Last edited by Bevo (2010-07-25 12:24:10)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

Microwave wrote:

If you're going to argue something, at least have your arguments straight.

Bevo wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Bevo wrote:

I have a fair bit of money, I don't know how much I want to spend. I don't want to spend $100 on speakers if they're going to sound like my $40 speakers. I don't want to spend $300 on speakers if I won't be able to tell the difference between those and $200 speakers.

There's a "sweet spot" for computers - I'd say it's at about $900-$1000, where the value of upgrading past that diminishes quickly for common uses. Where is that for speaker quality?

edit: Assume I have nothing. No amps, no systems. Also, the amount of open space on my desk is very small.
I'd say that the "sweet spot" for speakers is around there, too. About $1000 for the speakers, plus amplification and source. It depends a lot on person, because while somebody might be happy as long as there's lots of bass, someone else might want some quality to the bass, something that can make a ten-fold price difference.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-07-25 12:31:37)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas
Okay, well let's work with that.

- Currently I have $30 creative speakers that came cheap with my laptop. They don't sound great, but they work.
- I don't have a ton of desk space.
- Typically I play music out of my laptop. I have an external SoundBlaster X-Fi notebook card that can be used, but I typically don't since I can't really tell the difference out of these speakers. I don't know if it's worth anything, but I have it.
- If I could somehow split audio outputs, I could potentially use my PC for playing music, if the onboard sound is enough of an upgrade there. I store all of my music on my laptop, but it would be easy to throw it on my external and play from my PC. I use headphones for gaming etc and would like the music to be separate.
- I was not planning on spending $1000 on audio equipment. I think considering my current desk/rig/etc setup, that would be a little nuts. It would be mostly used for music. It would never get overly loud, my neighbors are prone to calling the po-po. My roomie doesn't appreciate hearing my music all the time.

Would it be worth upgrading to a system(?) or speakers only(?) for somewhere in the $100-$200 range? What about < $100?

Assume I know nothing about audio.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6447|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

pfft...

A 17" laptop is perfectly portable. If anything, it weighs half a kilogram more. I, for one, couldn't care less if my laptop weighs 2.5 or 3kg, because I'm not a faggot.
protip: the size is worse than the weight...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
mikkel
+383|6762

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Microwave wrote:

He did, and they were sound. You dismissed them because you disagree. There's nothing wrong with abstaining from an argument with a wall.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

pfft...

No, it's not. We're talking about one inch more width. Hell, if I place my 15" laptop on top of my 17", they're actually equally tall due to being designed a bit differently.

mikkel wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Microwave wrote:

He did, and they were sound. You dismissed them because you disagree. There's nothing wrong with abstaining from an argument with a wall.
For instance, saying that it's easier to break a larger laptop is a moot point, since that's completely dependent on the laptops in question. Saying that it's easier to annoy people also doesn't quite work, since you're going to have your arms in roughly the same position, at the sides of your lap, no matter what laptop you use.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-07-25 12:50:24)

FloppY_
­

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

pfft...

No, it's not. We're talking about one inch more width. Hell, if I place my 15" laptop on top of my 17", they're actually equally tall due to being designed a bit differently.

mikkel wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

For instance, saying that it's easier to break a larger laptop is a moot point, since that's completely dependent on the laptops in question. Saying that it's easier to annoy people also doesn't quite work, since you're going to have your arms in roughly the same position, at the sides of your lap, no matter what laptop you use.
Sounds like one of them has 1inch of bezel
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6358|Winland

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

pfft...

mikkel wrote:

Sounds like one of them has 1inch of bezel
The 15" has the speakers at the bottom of the screen. Still, if they were to be removed, there's only about an inch to be gained there, too. The horizontal bezel is comparable, the 15" actually being slightly smaller.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6563|dm_maidenhead
I have a 17 inch laptop.

You'd have to be pretty dumb to be able to perfectly use your 15" laptop on the bus but then start flailing it about and throwing it at people because it's an inch or so wider.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas
While it's sure interesting to hear you guys squabble about your 2 inches, I would appreciate help with the question I posted above.
FloppY_
­

Bevo wrote:

While it's sure interesting to hear you guys squabble about your 2 inches, I would appreciate help with the question I posted above.
You wan't to split your audio output into two channels each with left&right?
Sounds like quite a hassle...

And upgrade speakers?
Buy whatever logitech/creative/other budget set you wish, or buy a decent stereo and connect your PC via AUX
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

FloppY_ wrote:

Bevo wrote:

You wan't to split your audio output into two channels each with left&right?
Sounds like quite a hassle...

And upgrade speakers?
Buy whatever logitech/creative/other budget set you wish, or buy a decent stereo and connect your PC via AUX
That was incredibly unhelpful. Freezer? James?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6728|NYC / Hamburg

Go to store, listen to stereo systems / speakers there, buy what you like.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6682|Austin, Texas

max wrote:

Go to store, listen to stereo systems / speakers there, buy what you like.
Go?! Store?! How barbaric!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6632
for all musical equipment i really would say you have to hear it before you buy...

like with buying an instrument: you have to play it and feel it before you commit...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6900|Toronto | Canada

Well at least give him some suggestions of what to check out...

I'd recommend looking at
Klipsch Promedia 2.1s - for music & movies (subwoofer is a plus on movies)
KRK Rokit 5s - 2.0 monitors, for music (no sub)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard