Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

The White House is scrapping a Bush-era plan for an Eastern European missile-defense shield, saying a redesigned defensive system would be cheaper, quicker and more effective against the threat from Iranian missiles.

"After an extensive process, I have approved the unanimous recommendations of my secretary of defense and my joint chiefs of staff to strengthen America's defenses against ballistic-missile attack," President Barack Obama said in an announcement Thursday morning.

The previous administration's plans will be changed, moving away from the installation of a missile-defense shield in the Czech Republic and Poland in the near future. A second phase to begin in 2015 could result in missiles being placed on land in Eastern Europe.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125317801774419047.html
Experts at the world's top atomic watchdog agree that Tehran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb and is on the way to developing a missile system able to carry an atomic warhead, according to a secret report seen by The Associated Press.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,551501,00.html
So do you have trust in Obamas judgment or are you afraid now? I'm not worried myself but I am interested in what others have to say.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
what the hell do defenses in Eastern Europe do for us?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

what the hell do defenses in Eastern Europe do for us?
Easier to shoot down a missile closer to its source and any potential fallout would end up in those countries instead of ours.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6223|Brisneyland
This is  a good thing. Iran knows if it tries anything, it will be wiped off the face of the earth. The US will also save billions of bucks, and stay mates with the ruskies. Be more worried about the nukes in Pakistan.... seriously be worried about it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
Good for Obama. Europe should look after itself. Fucking Eastern European governments selling their sovereignty so cheaply. The people of those nations were broadly opposed anyway so this is good news all round I guess.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Good.. let europe burn.

jk. It looks like the leaders were going against the wishes of the population here. ... although this seems to be more of Obama's doing.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
we've still got our satellite mounted laser cannons.
TrueMusou
+36|6162|United States Of Hamerica
Why are you worried? We have mobile ICBMs that are so accurate, they can destroy your microwave oven. The extent of Iran's nuclear missile program is probably going to be at BEST a stage where it can launch a missile from a large stationary launch pad that has the range to hit its next door neighbor.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

TrueMusou wrote:

Why are you worried? We have mobile ICBMs that are so accurate, they can destroy your microwave oven. The extent of Iran's nuclear missile program is probably going to be at BEST a stage where it can launch a missile from a large stationary launch pad that has the range to hit its next door neighbor.
https://southchild.com/images/20080709IranMissilePhotoshop3a.jpg
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

The White House is scrapping a Bush-era plan for an Eastern European missile-defense shield, saying a redesigned defensive system would be cheaper, quicker and more effective against the threat from Iranian missiles.
You had me at hello.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

CameronPoe wrote:

Good for Obama. Europe should look after itself. Fucking Eastern European governments selling their sovereignty so cheaply. The people of those nations were broadly opposed anyway so this is good news all round I guess.
But that's all those Eastern European countries/governments are used to. They did it to the USSR, now the USA. The people just get screwed either way.

And yeah, didn't the article already say they're still developing an even better system for Iran's missles?
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401
sigh.  nobody really listens to what obama says.  he is going to put anti-missle destroyers off the coast of iran instead.
13rin
+977|6480

Kmarion wrote:

It looks like the leaders were going against the wishes of the population here.
Yea, kinda a trend with this administration.  The Supreme Community Organizer seems to enjoy kissing the asses of those who hate us.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Yea, kinda a trend with this administration.  The Supreme Community Organizer seems to enjoy kissing the asses of those who hate us.
Yeah, damn. Those people shouldn't get a say in anything...

PS. I wouldn't call NATO members 'haters'.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
13rin
+977|6480

Spark wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Screw NATO.  Screw Russia.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
Best way to shoot down an Iranian missile is with a sling-shot.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6697|NJ
bring back the star wars program

It's funny how all these huge budget Defense programs went up with the bush era, didn't he have vested interest with alot of those companies?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2009-09-18 08:39:12)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Spark wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Screw NATO.  Screw Russia.
It's that attitude that makes people haters....

Obama is doing a good job of getting them back on good terms.
13rin
+977|6480

Bertster7 wrote:

It's that attitude that makes people haters....

Obama is doing a good job of getting them back on good terms.
Obama is being naive if he think he's getting America back on good terms with rogue states such as Nkorea, Russia, and Iran.  There is no such thing as good terms. 

I remember back when the Bamster offered Russia the missle shield in exchange for them pressuring Iran not to develope nukes.  Russia said "piss off".  So what do we do?  Give it up anyways.  It is f'n retarded foreign policy.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6223|Brisneyland
Russia is a rogue state? Thats news to me.

Last edited by Burwhale (2009-09-18 17:07:03)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
Someone point out the cons of a cheaper system that doesnt infringe on the wishes of other people to me?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6223|Brisneyland

FatherTed wrote:

Someone point out the cons of a cheaper system that doesnt infringe on the wishes of other people to me?
Ted , everyone knows that the best way to conduct diplomacy is to threaten other countries, or better still , just invade them. Whats wrong, are you a communist or something?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I was talking about Poland ignoring the majority of it's population. The decision to put them there in the first place was a very unpopular one.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Red Forman wrote:

he is going to put anti-missle destroyers off the coast of iran instead.
I would like to see this tested more.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard