ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5424|Athens, GA
well im gonna give it another attempt. wish me luck. ps your dog is ugly finray
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas
Bump.

My windows dock (vista) has decided to disappear and everytime I boot up I get a FA tray error that just repeats over and over. Also, rainmeter won't work anymore.

I just plain need a reformat. Can anyone help me out with this repartitioning issue - or at least tell me I'm boned there so I can back up all my stuff onto an external HDD so I can get this thing reformatted. It's almost unusable. I'd like to have it back within a day or so for classes but its not a huge priority.

I haven't scrolled back through the posts, but I've tried partitioning my drives and while I have several hundred gig open it will only let me partition like 20 or 40 or something.
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5424|Athens, GA
dude just back ur shit up and go for a clean reformat with win7
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone

ICCULUS wrote:

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Defiance
+438|6671

Bevo wrote:

Bump.

My windows dock (vista) has decided to disappear and everytime I boot up I get a FA tray error that just repeats over and over. Also, rainmeter won't work anymore.

I just plain need a reformat. Can anyone help me out with this repartitioning issue - or at least tell me I'm boned there so I can back up all my stuff onto an external HDD so I can get this thing reformatted. It's almost unusable. I'd like to have it back within a day or so for classes but its not a huge priority.

I haven't scrolled back through the posts, but I've tried partitioning my drives and while I have several hundred gig open it will only let me partition like 20 or 40 or something.
Ok, gladly. You're boned. Use an external drive, share your music folder and copy it over the network, burn everything to CDs, doesn't matter. Back up what you want to save and end your suffering.

Suggestions: Music, photos, personal documents, browser favorites (not necessary, but you might enjoy the convenience), game saves (..NN, BYMETC), wallpapers, school projects, etc. Programs can be downloaded, but anything you put your work in to needs to be copied.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6829|Grapevine, TX

Defiance wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Bump.

Ok, gladly. You're boned. Use an external drive, share your music folder and copy it over the network, burn everything to CDs, doesn't matter. Back up what you want to save and end your suffering.

Suggestions: Music, photos, personal documents, browser favorites (not necessary, but you might enjoy the convenience), game saves (..NN, BYMETC), wallpapers, school projects, etc. Programs can be downloaded, but anything you put your work in to needs to be copied.
No partition needed, unless you cant live with out it.

.Sup wrote:

ICCULUS wrote:

Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas
Okay, I backed up everything important and im about to reformat.

I also want to upgrade my PC from XP to vista. Is it as simple as pop the vista CD in the drive, ???, profit?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Bevo wrote:

So my new laptop has been running like crap, freezing up, and just a minute ago the comp froze up and then my C drive went missing. I'm thinking a reformat is in order, but I've never done one. What should be done first (besides backing up files I'd need), what about installed programs, just reinstall after? I don't have a plethora of "stuff" on here, so it's not a huge deal.

Also I've heard lots of good things about windows 7, would it be worth it to make the switch during/after reformat?

Ah need help!
I did it on my laptop two weeks ago (the only machine I had not done it on yet.). Very glad I did. Running smooth.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black

Bevo wrote:

I also want to upgrade my PC from XP to vista. Is it as simple as pop the vista CD in the drive, ???, profit?
For reformats it's the same process as you're about to do on your lappy.

For upgrades, idk lol never upgraded ever.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6721|Ireland | Monaghan

Finray wrote:

Bevo wrote:

For reformats it's the same process as you're about to do on your lappy.

For upgrades, idk lol never upgraded ever.
If you're upgrading put the cd in when you are loaded onto XP and looking at the desktop. Then follow prompts.

edit: I think, it's been awhile since I used Vista upgrade.

Last edited by IrishGrimReaper (2009-10-11 11:45:24)

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas
Okay, wtf

I put the vista cd in my lappy drive - nothing pops up on the cd rom
reboot - it says preforming updates, but no option to reformat

ed: fail, nm

Last edited by Bevo (2009-10-11 11:49:22)

IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

Lulz, it doesn't work like a normal install.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

I did a shutdown and expected it to run after I booted it up. Suppose I needed to tick the box that said "reboot"

It said it was going to create a volume called windows.old. Tis fine I suppose? Means I dont have to bother with my external HDD i guess.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Bevo wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

I did a shutdown and expected it to run after I booted it up. Suppose I needed to tick the box that said "reboot"

It said it was going to create a volume called windows.old. Tis fine I suppose? Means I dont have to bother with my external HDD i guess.
It's up to you.. I never do. I do a complete format on all of my drives. When I want a fresh start, I want a completely fresh start.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas

Kmarion wrote:

Bevo wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

It's up to you.. I never do. I do a complete format on all of my drives. When I want a fresh start, I want a completely fresh start.
It didn't give me that option. It said I either had to create a partition or backup the other windows.

I figure I'll just trash what I don't want. Shouldn't affect anything.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

Wait, you're using the Upgrade yeah?

You need to load the CD as you would a game, from within windows XP and follow it's prompts. You don't install that through boot like you normally do. I pretty sure that doesn't work if I remember correctly.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas
I want to for my PC, yeah. As soon as Im sure my laptop is up fine I want to switch to vista.

It won't blow away anything will it?

Also the vista dock is gone again. Where do I find it?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Bevo wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bevo wrote:

It didn't give me that option. It said I either had to create a partition or backup the other windows.

I figure I'll just trash what I don't want. Shouldn't affect anything.
Well.. unless your issues are a result of something you are keeping.. if you catch my drift.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

Well the upgrade should save all the old stuff into a folder called Windows Old. Which should be located in C:
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas
I try to keep my laptop clean of that stuff. No torrents or anything at all, mostly firefox browsing and school docs.

Oh, and it seems windows lost my video card. It has blanks under display and it wont let me change my resolution back to where it is. Driver install should fix this?
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

It should.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Bevo wrote:

I try to keep my laptop clean of that stuff. No torrents or anything at all, mostly firefox browsing and school docs.

Oh, and it seems windows lost my video card. It has blanks under display and it wont let me change my resolution back to where it is. Driver install should fix this?
This is a new laptop and windows can't find the drivers? ..odd
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas
urf, it wont let me do anything even with an ethernet connection = no drivers

the fuck?
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

Did you install the Lan drivers from the CD? If there is a CD.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Bevo wrote:

urf, it wont let me do anything even with an ethernet connection = no drivers

the fuck?
Is this a full copy of 7?

had to ask
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard