We feel sick after learning that a sorority at Colorado State University has been suspended over allegations of extreme hazing, and not just because its methods included starving pledges and forcing them to eat cat food.

CSU's Omicron Omicron chapter of Zeta Phi Beta will no longer be recognized officially by the institution, after an investigation uncovered its unorthodox initiation rituals. (Hazing is officially banned by members of the Greek collegiate system but is quite common -- a recent documentary, "Haze," profiles a related death.)

According to a 56-page police report obtained by the Rocky Mountain Collegian, pledges were forced to physically exert themselves to such an extreme that one of them needed medical attention. They were also deprived of sleep and food ... unless they wanted to eat cat food, that is.

Starvation and Sit-Ups
Allegedly leading the torture was the chapter president and member of student government, Adesuwa Elaiho. According to one pledge, Elaiho "had us at her apartment for three days straight. No sleep, no food. I threw up because I was so hungry." In addition to making one of the pledges write her academic papers, the president also made the pledges eat so many onions that two of them threw up.

According to CSU detective Adam Smith, hazing at the hands of Elaiho took place on multiple occasions. He added, "The physical activity included running, push-ups, wall-sits and other strenuous calisthenics, and were clearly designed as initiation into the Zeta sorority ... These events clearly caused risk of bodily injuries to the parties involved," especially one girl with kidney problems who repeatedly lost consciousness.

Power Gone Sour
Does this sound all right to you? We've heard the argument that the purpose of sororities is to promote community service and "sisterly love," but, well ... let's just say our friends never made us eat Fancy Feast. (And we don't even have to pay them dues!)

The absurd part is that a lot of women do this so they can add leadership skills and volunteerism on their résumés. But with the wooden-paddle-spanking the Greek system is getting in the press, who's going to notice how much they may have raised as social chair?

According to the Zeta Phi Beta Web site: "Membership in Zeta Phi Beta Sorority is a living and learning experience for women with shared values and objectives. You will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of activities where you can use your unique talents and knowledge to contribute to the chapter and your community." Really? We wonder how many job listings are looking for applicants whose "unique talents" include "driving people crazy by refusing to let them sleep."

Sorry. We think community service is great, and we like to wear identical booty shorts and point out the figure flaws of terrified 18-year-olds as much as the next gal. But for our money, sororities are officially more trouble than they're worth.

Tell us! What's your take on scholarly sisterhood?

http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/08/31/col … -abused%2F

this is awesome! haha!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6644
I don't get this American college rite-of-passage...

Freud would have a field-day. It's just retarded. Makes me think of Palahniuk's message in Fight Club. Young men in a feminocentric, pussified world trying to prove themselves as alpha-males through dumbass, cave-man era initiations. Seeing it happen with women is even more /boggle.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-09-01 07:34:04)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

I didn't realise that sororities did that much in the way of hazing, save for maybe having a few topless pillow fights. *dreams*
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6644
Hazing in sororities should just consist of 4 weeks of abusive, non-stop cooking and house-cleaning.

Their education is worth the fees that way - properly prepares them for real life. From the sounds of that news-story, women in America have far too much bloody independence and power. It just goes to their simple little heads.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6135|Places 'n such

Uzique wrote:

Hazing in sororities should just consist of 4 weeks of abusive, non-stop cooking and house-cleaning.

Their education is worth the fees that way - properly prepares them for real life. From the sounds of that news-story, women in America have far too much bloody independence and power. It just goes to their simple little heads.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Lai
+186|6324
To my knowledge hazing can be much worse here in Holland or elsewhere, but nobody ever makes much of a fuzz about it. Personally I often just find them pathetic rather than shocking.

I have been hazed in Russia though, that was epic!
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6912|Comber, Northern Ireland
wtf is all this stuff?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Lai wrote:

To my knowledge hazing can be much worse here in Holland or elsewhere, but nobody ever makes much of a fuzz about it. Personally I often just find them pathetic rather than shocking.

I have been hazed in Russia though, that was epic!
What's worse than being starved for 3 days?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6644
... Having to go to a university in The Netherlands?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6845|UK
Day One

The week of living in the basement began on January 30, 2005. On that same day, the sewer line in the house had burst, and the basement was flooded with several inches of sewage contaminated water. Pledges were forced to do push-ups and sit-ups in the sewage and sleep in small cubby holes that had been cut into the basement wall.

Day Two

"Pledge Olympics" got underway around 11 pm. Pledges were forced to run up and down the stairs and play Wiffleball inside the house. Due to extremely cold conditions, they were allowed to sleep in the main portion of the house instead of the basement.

[edit] Day Three

The events of Tuesday, February 1 would last into the early hours of Wednesday morning. Carrington and Quintana were instructed to stand on one foot on a wooden bench, wearing only t-shirts, jeans, and socks, while Chi Tau members quizzed them on fraternity history. If an incorrect answer was given, they were told to drink as much water as possible from a five-gallon Alhambra bottle or do push-ups on the floor. Cold water was also poured on them while being blasted by fans. They had to ask permission to urinate on themselves and were eventually told to take their shirts off with basement temperatures in the 30s. Near 2 a.m., active Chi Tau members, Gabriel Maestretti, John Paul Fickes and Carlos James DeVilla Abrille, arrived at the house after a night of heavy drinking. Maestretti passed out on a couch in the basement, and at around 2:30 am, the pledges, already in poor condition, were told they were done. However, Maestretti woke up and decided he would take over the initiation event instead of allowing the pledges to leave the basement or sleep. Fickes and Abrille joined in on the events that would follow. They ignored other members of the fraternity who came down to the basement on two occasions and told the three to stop. At one point Carrington dropped the five-gallon bottle and spilled water on one of the three actives. He was forced to do more push-ups as punishment.

Carrington collapsed around 3:40 a.m. and went into a seizure that lasted nearly one minute. Chi Tau members changed Carrington out of his wet clothing and laid him on the couch after wrapping him in a sleeping bag. Quintana noticed that Carrington had stopped breathing around 5 am. He performed CPR on Carrington until paramedics arrived and transported him to Enloe Medical Center, where he died soon after arrival. The official cause of death was cardiac dysrhythmia and cerebral edema, or brain-swelling, due to water intoxication. Hypothermia also contributed to the death.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Uzique wrote:

lolz, I'm fucking glad I dodged that bullet.
Lai
+186|6324

Uzique wrote:

This actually, that's why I'm leaving this dunghole now that I've gotten my BA.

In any case, you won't starve after three days and onions and to some extend cat food are perfectly edible. It's like overripe corned beef I guess.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6755|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

I didn't realise that sororities did that much in the way of hazing, save for maybe having a few topless pillow fights. *dreams*
Here's one for you:

Sigma Delta Pi Sorority Hazing Sex Scandal: 23 Women Arrested
by Staff
Apr 12, 2006

Tampa Police raided the Sigma Delta Pi sorority house at Westborn College where twenty three women, ranging in age from 19-24, were arrested on charges that reportedly included hazing violations, racketeering, pandering and involuntary recording of sexual acts without the consent of the participants, according to a published report by bi.gs News

Apparently, as part of a ceremonial initiation into the sorority, each of the 36 pledges were "required to have sex or oral sex on a first date with 7 partners in a two week period" according to a report from bi.gs.

District attorney Michael Watts also said that: "These [partners] had to be men they did not know chosen from a popular online dating service. There is evidence that at least 2 of the senior girls in the sorority received in excess of $2500 in checks from men who were pre-selected as sex-dates for the pledges,"
Continue reading this article below

All 36 of the current pledges who are now Sigma Delta Pi sisters are suspected of going out on sex-dates with a total somewhere in the vicinity of 250 different males. Two of them are alleged to have been with high school seniors from nearby Shelby High School.

At the scene, police seized computers that had more than 20 hours of digital videos recordings of the pledges engaged in sexual intercourse in the sorority house. The videos were apparently recorded without the knowledge of the male partners via a web cam mounted on a computer monitor.

Bi.gs News cites Paula Rogers, spokesperson for Westborn College, with saying "This is not an accurate reflection of the students or Christian teachings at Westborn College. Hazing is a very serious offense and we have a zero-tolerance policy for that kind of behavior. The Sorority's official status has been revoked and the girls who were arrested have been suspended pending the outcome of a full investigation. We're going to get to the bottom of all this."

The arrests reportedly ended a 1-month investigation that involved the Tampa Bay Police Department and the CDC (Center For Disease Control). According to reports, many of the girls were having unprotected sex and the CDC was called in because of potential health concerns.

Uzique wrote:

you never stop insulting do you

always trying to get a reaction.. i wish i couldnt see your posts.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6644
bahaha

ily xoxo
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6948|Noizyland

I don't get the whole Sorority/Fraternity hazing thing. I mean you want to be part of a club, they give you a mountain of shit and at the end of it, what? "Okay, you can be our friend now." I wouldn't want to be their friend after they put me through shit, I'd more likely want to punch them in the face, and even more likely not bother in the first place. We have a University Fraternity and Sorority. Membership hazing is "come along to this pub at this time on this day and have a drink with us. Keep coming along to our get-togethers and well eventually invite you to join." I mean these friendship guilds or whatever the Hell they are shouldn't be about how much punishmnt your content with bending over and taking, it should be whether you're compatible, fun, reflect the ideals of the Sorority/Fraternity. I mean if you keep the whole hazing thing yo wind up with twisted bitches like Adesuwa Elaiho in charge who want to pay back the humiliation and hurt done to them tenfold to new recruits.

Uzique, stop being a creep.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Ty wrote:

I don't get the whole Sorority/Fraternity hazing thing. I mean you want to be part of a club, they give you a mountain of shit and at the end of it, what? "Okay, you can be our friend now." I wouldn't want to be their friend after they put me through shit, I'd more likely want to punch them in the face, and even more likely not bother in the first place. We have a University Fraternity and Sorority. Membership hazing is "come along to this pub at this time on this day and have a drink with us. Keep coming along to our get-togethers and well eventually invite you to join." I mean these friendship guilds or whatever the Hell they are shouldn't be about how much punishmnt your content with bending over and taking, it should be whether you're compatible, fun, reflect the ideals of the Sorority/Fraternity. I mean if you keep the whole hazing thing yo wind up with twisted bitches like Adesuwa Elaiho in charge who want to pay back the humiliation and hurt done to them tenfold to new recruits.

Uzique, stop being a creep.
According to a friend of mine who went through hazing to get into his frat, it makes you a lot closer to the guys that you pledged with because you went through all that. Apparently most people don't hold it against the guys that did it to them.

The thing I think is ridiculous about them is that once you're in you then have to pay to be in it. So you're basically paying to have friends, how retarded is that? My other friends at American universities just go to their parties, but don't join, because who really wants to spend a couple of thousand dollars a year on friends?
Brasso
+1,549|6804

wow that's truly awful.  3 days without food/eating cat food.  you can survive THREE WEEKS without food, i'm sure you can deal with 1/7 of that.  you're only 1/7th dead.  and cat food just looks like corned beef.  hot dogs are probably worse.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-09-01 16:11:52)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
ghettoperson
+1,943|6823

Dude, I don't know if you've ever smelled cat food, but it's fucking rank. I'd rather not eat for 3 days than eat that shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard