Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock
Every year or so this always happens. I always think about the 'impossibilities' in our lives. Like its impossible for the universe to go infinitely, so it must come to an end, but if it does what outside that, and that, and that. Then there is the matter in the universe. It can't be created,  only changed. So where did it come from. And then there's the emptiness. WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM!? I mean there is so much out there, when did it all start, and how? It frustrates me so much. To add on to all this, after realising all this stuff that could only be explained as impossible, why is it so hard to believe in a divine being? Its like everything we get told contradicts everything else. One of the beauties of science I guess.

What things do your head in?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Adams_BJ wrote:

Every year or so this always happens. I always think about the 'impossibilities' in our lives. Like its impossible for the universe to go infinitely, so it must come to an end, but if it does what outside that, and that, and that. Then there is the matter in the universe. It can't be created,  only changed. So where did it come from. And then there's the emptiness. WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM!? I mean there is so much out there, when did it all start, and how? It frustrates me so much. To add on to all this, after realising all this stuff that could only be explained as impossible, why is it so hard to believe in a divine being? Its like everything we get told contradicts everything else. One of the beauties of science I guess.

2x4's

I know what you mean though, its like trying to think hard about time travel, makes your head spin.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6235|S.A. Australia
I do exactly the same thing to myself every few months...it lasts like 5 minutes and then I get over it, it's weird.
Serious Flex
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6489|Gogledd Cymru

M.O.A.B wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

2x4's

I know what you mean though, its like trying to think hard about time travel, makes your head spin.
What's wrong with some good ol 2x4?

https://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/cedar-2x4.jpg
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6578|Columbus, OH
I wonder why people become bakers or run bakeries. Is it because it was a family tradition, they enjoy baking, or a simple / steady gig to keep occupied throughout the morning.

There is no big financial reward in becoming a baker or running a bakery. No steady clientele because people will go on their diets avoid pastries and bread.  The liklihood of a bakery shutting down in a well-developed suburb or city is great. They seem to thrive to small to modest size towns.

When bakers bake their goods what goes through their minds. Do they feel they are reached their quintessenial peak of their trade. Do they push the envelope of the traditional way of baking. Do they care or go through the motions of baking. What do they seek if it is not Fame or Fortune
Lai
+186|6151

Adams_BJ wrote:

There is no such thing as "emptiness"; the very concept of existence does no exist outside of space. When you would reach the outside of space, the mere presence of matter (you) would simply create more/expand known space. Trying to reach or abstractly grasp the edge of space is like the donkey trying to get to the carrot on the fishing rod.

The reason we still exist while nothing can ever be created, only changed, is because we were not  "created". The universe exist through balance; for every negative charge there is a positive one, for every particle of matter there is antimatter. If you'd add it all up, everything in the universe, you'd end up with zero, nothing. Thus the rule that nothing can ever be created, only changed is still valid.

To be honest it doesn't frustrate me at all. I'm more bothered by the fact I messed up her emailadres
Ioan92
+337|5722
I once sat on a table in a winter night, I watched the sky filled with stars. It was awesome.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6348|Belfast

Adams_BJ wrote:

Then there is the matter in the universe. It can't be created,  only changed. So where did it come from. And then there's the emptiness. WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM!? I mean there is so much out there, when did it all start, and how? It frustrates me so much. To add on to all this, after realising all this stuff that could only be explained as impossible, why is it so hard to believe in a divine being? Its like everything we get told contradicts everything else. One of the beauties of science I guess.

The same could be said about us humans

WHERE THE FUCK DID WE COME FROM?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
It's like when I saw this in a video Menzo posted

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/33829/universe.PNG

I thought, what's outside that?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6107|Birmingham, UK
I know the feeling
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6632

You're all paranoid and insecure.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6327|Australia

loubot wrote:

I wonder why people become bakers or run bakeries. Is it because it was a family tradition, they enjoy baking, or a simple / steady gig to keep occupied throughout the morning.

There is no big financial reward in becoming a baker or running a bakery. No steady clientele because people will go on their diets avoid pastries and bread.  The liklihood of a bakery shutting down in a well-developed suburb or city is great. They seem to thrive to small to modest size towns.

When bakers bake their goods what goes through their minds. Do they feel they are reached their quintessenial peak of their trade. Do they push the envelope of the traditional way of baking. Do they care or go through the motions of baking. What do they seek if it is not Fame or Fortune
I became a baker for something to do, though I did get the idea from my bro, who had been baking for a few years. It's also quite fun, so a combination of all 3 I guess.
There are huge financial gains for baking. Each roll costs us about 3c to make, and we sell it for 60c. Even the items that use expensive ingredients are sold for about 3-4 times their actual worth. The shop I'm at is part of a franchise, and the well run stores can make a six-figure OP (operators profit). Bread has been a staple of the human diet for thousands of years, and is eaten all over the world. There will ALWAYS be a customer base willing to spend money, even in the worst economic times.
Some of the things that go through my mind when baking:
"Stupid fucking fruit loaves"
"I hope I don't burn myselfFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-"
"I could be playing BF2 now "
"Would I have sex with a dead body for $1,000,000?"
Those among other things.
I'm only a first year apprentice, so I still have a ways to go before I reach my peak.
we're a franchise, so we can't do much in the way of breaking new ground, but we do change the recipes/molding techniques/baking times when the head office releases a new product that just doesn't work like they say.
some things can be repetitive, so you just go though the motions, but we always try to produce a good product.
I personally seem to spend my time seeking clean oven mitts so I don't have to use yesterdays ones all soaked with sweat, oil and covered in a hard shell of dried blueberrys.

I hope I've provided satisfactory answers to some of your questions. You should sleep better at night now.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
god did it
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6578|Columbus, OH

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

loubot wrote:

I became a baker for something to do, though I did get the idea from my bro, who had been baking for a few years. It's also quite fun, so a combination of all 3 I guess.
There are huge financial gains for baking. Each roll costs us about 3c to make, and we sell it for 60c. Even the items that use expensive ingredients are sold for about 3-4 times their actual worth. The shop I'm at is part of a franchise, and the well run stores can make a six-figure OP (operators profit). Bread has been a staple of the human diet for thousands of years, and is eaten all over the world. There will ALWAYS be a customer base willing to spend money, even in the worst economic times.
Some of the things that go through my mind when baking:
"Stupid fucking fruit loaves"
"I hope I don't burn myselfFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-"
"I could be playing BF2 now "
"Would I have sex with a dead body for $1,000,000?"
Those among other things.
I'm only a first year apprentice, so I still have a ways to go before I reach my peak.
we're a franchise, so we can't do much in the way of breaking new ground, but we do change the recipes/molding techniques/baking times when the head office releases a new product that just doesn't work like they say.
some things can be repetitive, so you just go though the motions, but we always try to produce a good product.
I personally seem to spend my time seeking clean oven mitts so I don't have to use yesterdays ones all soaked with sweat, oil and covered in a hard shell of dried blueberrys.

I hope I've provided satisfactory answers to some of your questions. You should sleep better at night now.
Good enuff for me. One question though...you ever think a piece of dough feels like a woman's breast.
TuataraDude
+115|6522|Aotearoa

Adams_BJ wrote:

Like its impossible for the universe to go infinitely, so it must come to an end, but if it does what outside that, and that, and that.
This will help a little, listen to it.

http://www.astronomycast.com/astronomy/ … -universe/

It will probably lead you to ask more questions so then go to this...

Adams_BJ wrote:

Then there is the matter in the universe. It can't be created,  only changed. So where did it come from. And then there's the emptiness. WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM!? I mean there is so much out there, when did it all start, and how?
This won't answer where it came from, but it will tell you where it is going. WARNING - If you are afraid you will become depressed when you realise the futility of it all in the end, do not listen to the following two pod casts.

It's a two-parter.

http://www.astronomycast.com/astronomy/ … verything/

Adams_BJ wrote:

1 - Wave/particle duality (not so much does my head in, but it is one of the oddest/coolest things out there - but then I'm essentially a geek).

2 - The fact that some people who are, for all inents and purposes, very intelligent people still believe the planet is only 6000 years old and will not be swayed by any argument. They sit there and claim science is only theories and that the scientists have blind faith in those theories and yet do not see the irony that they have blind faith in a theory that has yet to have one shred of evidence supporting it.

3 - Actually, forget number 2, just make it "humans". We are all as bad/as good as eachother. In this vast universe ( http://www.astronomycast.com/astronomy/ … -universe/ ) I just hope there is more intelligent life out there, but am afraid Fermi might be right.

and to Sup3r_Dr4gon - good answer.

People don't always do something to become rich or famous. They do their job for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons are (but not limited to):

1 - They love doing what they do and therefore money is not as important.
2 - They do not like what they are doing, but are willing to stick at it because they want to provide better opportunities for their kids.
3 - They are doing what they are doing because they fell into that job and do not know how to get out of that job or are too afraid to change (they prefer to live by the idea of "Better the devil you know").

Enough ramblings from me. But do listen to the www.astronomycast.com podcasts, they are fascinating.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6565|Area 51

Adams_BJ wrote:

Like its impossible for the universe to go infinitely, so it must come to an end, but if it does what outside that, and that, and that.
Yeah I've wondered about that many times before too, seems to be beyond human comprehension that there is something beyond the universe.

Then there is the matter in the universe. It can't be created, only changed. So where did it come from.
Actually, if I am right matter can actually be created. The big bang supplied the universe with the raw ingredients to create stars, really massive stars. Which in the end imploded upon themselves creating more elements. However, I'm not quite sure if this is right.

Don't know

And then there's the emptiness. WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM!? I mean there is so much out there, when did it all start, and how?
What do you mean by emptiness? Emptiness in the universe or emptiness beyond the universe?

Last edited by RDMC (2009-08-24 15:24:56)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
RDMC you self-important asstard, why do you always insist on writing in orange to highlight your all-so-worthy contribution over everyone else?

I just keep trying to click your posts as if they (hyper)link to something meaningful, but instead they're just a link straight to your inner bloody egomania.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
robcr9
+111|5981
I used to do it a lot when I was younger, but now realising its now worth worrying or thinking about. Just to live life while you can
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone

Uzique wrote:

RDMC you self-important asstard, why do you always insist on writing in orange to highlight your all-so-worthy contribution over everyone else?

I just keep trying to click your posts as if they (hyper)link to something meaningful, but instead they're just a link straight to your inner bloody egomania.
He is Dutch. They're in love in orange colour remember?

Edit: in love with

Last edited by .Sup (2009-08-24 15:34:01)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

.Sup wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Ah yes, the Orange Revolution.

It all makes sense.

Thanks .Sup .

Earlier on this week, in one of those philosophical pub-conversations that happen when people are semi-drunk and feeling sagacious, somebody asked me what was 'beyond space' - similar to this topic. Another drunken astrophysicist piped up and, trying to impress the girl and be smarte and educaited, said "Entropy". Now, I'm not a scientist but I loved one-upping such a hideously-stupid show-off. Entropy? The fuck?!?

But yes, these 'big questions' are absolute mind-benders. You'll spend forever thinking it over. Deep philosophy as much as science. Where's Mitch when you need him? I need some Aristotle-type wisdom to bring me out of this intellectual, existential grief and anxiety.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

https://www.cbc.ca/news/background/space/gfx/titlephoto_space.jpg

The Running Spaceman
Gamematt
Stocking ur medpacks
+135|6662|Groningen, The Netherlands

Adams_BJ wrote:

To add on to all this, after realising all this stuff that could only be explained as impossible, why is it so hard to believe in a divine being?
It's explained as impossible, so the divine being might also be impossible?

But jep, there's something out there
But do I believe that, or just think that cos I don't have an explanation? I don't know.

Last edited by Gamematt (2009-08-24 16:58:43)

:blacKOut:
Shevchenkooooo
+42|6265|'Merica

Adams_BJ wrote:

I think the same thing sometimes
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida

Adams_BJ wrote:

To add on to all this, after realising all this stuff that could only be explained as impossible, why is it so hard to believe in a divine being?
I understand what your saying, however when ancient cultures didnt understand the sun - they thought a god did it.

The universe to us is like the sun to ancient culture. Unknown of its workings.

And you arent the only one who is frustrated and confused by not knowing - and the fact that you may never know.

The world is sooooo much more then we know it as.

Im just glad to have the ability to think of these things - Unlike all other animals who do not question the universe.

One idea that sorta makes my mind settle down is the idea that maybe the universe is similar to a game of pacman - there is no end - the end just starts you at the other side.

Last edited by Mitch (2009-08-24 19:20:58)

15 more years! 15 more years!
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6565|Area 51

.Sup wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Edit: in love with
Nuff said.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard