ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
lol, quit while you still can.

Video games might be regarded as an obsession for youngsters but in fact the average player is aged 35, often overweight, introverted and may be depressed, according to a U.S. study.

Researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention looked at the behavior of 552 adults aged between 19 to 90 from the Seattle-Tacoma area.

They found 249 of these, or around 45 percent, were video-game players, with men accounting for 56 percent of these.

The researchers found that the men who played video games weighed more and used the Internet more than other men.

Women who played video games reported greater levels of depression and poorer overall health than non-gamers with researcher James Weaver and his colleagues suggesting video gaming for adults may be a form of "digital self-medication."

They said women in particular may immerse themselves in brain-engaging digital environments as a means of self-distraction.

"In short, they literally 'take their minds off' their worries while playing a video game," the researchers said in a statement.

Adult video gamers also seemed less outgoing, or extroverted, and less social and assertive than non-gamers.

This was consistent with prior research in adolescent video game enthusiasts that tied video game playing to sedentary habits, weight issues and mental health concerns.

Adult video gamers of both sexes relied more on the Internet for social support than non-gamers, which supports prior research suggesting that adult video game players may "sacrifice real-world social activities to play video games."

The study, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, concluded that there was "measurable" associations between playing video games and health risks.

"As hypothesized," the researchers reported, a higher body weight and a greater number of "poor mental health days" differentiated adult video gamers from non-gamers.
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyl … 6L20090821
Kez
+778|5703|London, UK
I'm neither of them!
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

Kptk92 wrote:

I'm neither of them!
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5497|England
I'm 53 and underweight
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone
guilty as charged
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|5999|Aberdeen, Scotland
No, no and...no.

Also... lol;

bf2s wrote:

*  You may post 1 second ago
Defiance
+438|6671

Eh, a huge portion of gamers are still in high school so why did they set the minimum survey age to be 19?

[/anotherbadsurvey]

"In short, they literally 'take their minds off' their worries while playing a video game," the researchers said in a statement.
Yes, it's escapism, that's what other people do with music/TV/sports/X or Y hobby. There's nothing bad about that.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6414|Finland

played 5 hours DOTA today with 5 ppl in ts.

I am 20, normal weight, pretty happy and got lots of real world friends.

I simply put ROFL every time I see one of these BS "research facts" and totally wrong generalizising made by some "experts".

Games are as much of entertainment as watching tv or going to the movies. If you listened to these fellas, every gamer is bad and is going to do something very bad.

E: Awww lets ban tv because that murderer watched that violent cartoon program when he was 5. Lets ban games because that sick fuck played DOOM when he was kid. Lets ban movies too,.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-08-23 15:02:01)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
It's people from Seattle, of course they're depressed.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

I'm a rake, 22 and so obsessed wih my own awesomeness it scares most normal people. I'm in a good place with my gaming.

Gaming's just like anything else, you've got to take it in moderation. If you spend all your time gaming you're probably going to be sad because you're not going to be accomplishing anything.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6354|West NY
Aged between 19-90?
...they started at the age 19. Fail. The average gamer is therefore, definitely not 35.
They had a 90 year old?
Kez
+778|5703|London, UK
https://wow.incgamers.com/gallery/data/500/southpark.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

Noobpatty wrote:

They had a 90 year old?
that was me. . .
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال

ATG wrote:

lol, quit while you still can.
working on it
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
VicktorVauhn
+319|6392|Southern California

Kptk92 wrote:

I'm neither of them!
Uhhh, there was three things listed...
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

35, nope
overweight, slightly
sad, /wrists
Zoom!
GO GO GO!
+2|5368|Ireland
Meh. Most gamers I've met are nice people and don't really deserve this depression and stuff. I mean anyone who uses games as a means of escapism is perfectly ok, but if it were me I'd rather deal with my problems head on.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6156|Vancouver | Canada
Who the hell pays these idiots to come up with this shit?

Where do I sign up?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Who the hell labels themselves "gamers" anyway?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Macbeth wrote:

Fat, old guys, it seems. It's probably all those WoW players depressed about their lives.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5400
I have a study.....

The average college chick is a slut.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-08-23 17:22:19)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6222|Brisneyland

DesertFox- wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Fat, old guys, it seems. It's probably all those WoW players depressed about their lives.
This seems right to me.

I am 36. The right weight range, and generally pretty happy ( although I have been sick for the last 5 days or so, so I am bit pissed off).
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6222|Brisneyland

Red Forman wrote:

I have a study.....

The average college chick is a slut.
I bet you are happy to put more research into that one 
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma
Lmao
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Goddamit how can these surveys be so accurate?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard