Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5748|شمال
Israel fury at Sweden organ claim

Israel is to lodge an official complaint with Sweden over claims in a newspaper that Israeli soldiers killed Palestinians to sell their organs.

The article was published in the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet this week. The Swedish ambassador to Israel condemned the newspaper article as "shocking and appalling".

The government in Stockholm has not issued a similar condemnation, and Israeli foreign ministry officials have reacted furiously.
"It is regrettable that the Swedish foreign ministry does not intervene when it comes to a blood libel against Jews," Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said. "[This] reminds one of Sweden's conduct during World War II, when it also did not intervene."

In a blog post on Thursday evening, Sweden's Foreign Minister Carl Bildt wrote that he would not condemn the article, and that freedom of expression is part of the Swedish constitution.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8213873.stm
Caught my attention cause it reminded me of Jyllands-Posten's cartoons 2005 when muslims required an apology from the danish government.

What do you think of Israels reaction?

Are there be any situations where a government should apologize for something wrote/made by it's citizens?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

The virtues of a free press.

Tabloids print shit all the time, are governments now expected to apologise every time they print something that another country doesn't like? The Israeli's can go fuck themselves. I just hope there's no truth whatsoever to the story.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya
Lol good old Israel. Just complain about anything that gives you bad press and if they argue, bring up the Jews and WWII.

Although that article does sound a little ridiculous.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Lol good old Israel. Just complain about anything that gives you bad press and if they argue, bring up the Jews and WWII.
They've been playing that card for a while now, any legitimate criticism of Israel and you're a nazi.
It will be interesting to see where the New Jersey organs were sourced from, since there have been numerous allegations in the past of Israelis 'harvesting' Palestinian organs.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-08-22 20:25:25)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Sweden intervening?.. good one.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6585|sWEEDen
Sure there are occations when the goverment needs to step up and apologize for the actions of their citizens, this however isn´t one of them....

And true, we don´t intervene ever, certainly not against our own laws, freedom of speach can be a bitch sometimes, but what would Israel know about that? Israel also seeems to have forgotten that we actually did help out in many ways during ww2...and from my point of view we have only critisized Israel when they deserve soo, the truth can be a bitch sometimes too (not saying this is the case here though).

It will sure be interesting to see if there is any truth to this story, the swedish paper "Aftonbladet" isn´t exacly known for it´s great accuracy in journalism but this doesn´t seem all that impossible to me after all, there has been accusations like this before, we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by [F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi (2009-08-22 22:03:06)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina
Well, if Israel really feels that strongly about this claim, they can sue the publishers for libel.
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6585|sWEEDen
Where would such a thing take place Turquoise...in a Swedish court or an international one?
Turquoise
O Canada

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

Where would such a thing take place Turquoise...in a Swedish court or an international one?
I would assume a Swedish one.  This can be analogized with that Saudi Arabian guy that has sued various publishers in the U.K. over different stories about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libel_tourism
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6585|sWEEDen
Would like to see them try it then....oh well...I can´t beleive a nation with as many problems and issues as Israel has the time to get upset about theese kind of things really, they do have other things to focus at I beleive.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Most likely Swedish.

However, Libel is not considered under freedom of speech. If a newspaper published claims about how all Arabs eat their enemies children and sodomize their own for punishment, you can bet your ass there will be mass killings.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6585|sWEEDen
There might be, and the masskillings would certainly proove the point that they surely aren´t a violent kind.....=P

Seriously, sometimes the truth is to close for comfort, I guess many nations/organisations/individuals can´t handle that.
Turquoise
O Canada

There might be, and the masskillings would certainly proove the point that they surely aren´t a violent kind.....=P

Seriously, sometimes the truth is to close for comfort, I guess many nations/organisations/individuals can´t handle that.
No kidding...  but tell that to Liskula Cohen.  Or rather... don't.  She might sue you.
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6585|sWEEDen
Would be sweet, haven´t been in court for years now...)
Beduin
+510|5748|شمال

Cybargs wrote:

If a newspaper published claims about how all Arabs eat their enemies children and sodomize their own for punishment, you can bet your ass there will be mass killings.
What does that have to do with the op? what are you talking about?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6221|Escea

Beduin wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

If a newspaper published claims about how all Arabs eat their enemies children and sodomize their own for punishment, you can bet your ass there will be mass killings.
He's talking about the way Muslim groups often respond when they're put in a bad light.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
They really didn't need to go down the WW2 route, it just waters down the argument and creates facepalm.

Cos it is pretty fucked up to say that and the Jews have a case to be angry, but then again, the article might have its own facts to prove what it said and so it's just journalism, then again, it was a tabloid that said it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
The Israelies fly into this mock rage every time anyone says something they find inconvenient, whether its true or not.
Hence no-one really believes them on any subject and the holocaust card is so worn its impossible to even read it now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Beduin
+510|5748|شمال

M.O.A.B wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

He's talking about the way Muslim groups often respond when they're put in a bad light.
Tell him to stick to the OP, now that you answered for him...
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6585|sWEEDen
There´s a new follow-up article in todays "Aftonbladet", seems like they are really digging into this further, will be fun to see how this develops.

What I´ve learned reading the international press and politics during my life is that the harder nations or politics denies it or the more upset they get, the closer the truth.
Beduin
+510|5748|شمال

There´s a new follow-up article in todays "Aftonbladet", seems like they are really digging into this further, will be fun to see how this develops.

What I´ve learned reading the international press and politics during my life is that the harder nations or politics denies it or the more upset they get, the closer the truth.
I will not be surprised...Could have a link to the case in US?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6585|sWEEDen
Actually the links are all in swedish...but now I see that Israel is "demanding that Carl Bildt (foreign affairs minister) or our goverment condemns the article", also that "Israel can´t overlook such a manifesto of antisemitism" and for last , that they might cancel Carl Bildts visit in Israel due to concern about his safety.....sweet, we might need popcorn for this, haha.

link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article5681982.ab

http://www.aftonbladet.se/

Oh I missed one thing, "Aftonbladet" has two reporters in Israel, who apperntly had no problems getting in there and to work there, until now, their applications for visiting and/or leaving the gaza strip (not clear in the article) have been delayed and might take "up too 3 months to take care of"...

also; original article spoken of. http://www.aftonbladet.se/kultur/article5652583.ab

Last edited by [F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi (2009-08-23 07:47:30)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
All of a sudden making an article about the IDF that doesn't put them in a good light is "anti-semitism" and revokes memories of the holocaust. Not only is that an insult to everyone involved in the holocaust, it's an insult to all the non-Israeli Jews around the world who have nothing to do with that (for the most part). The Israeli government are digging themselves in a hole here, but because "anti-semitism" is such a sensitive issue, particularly in Europe (kinda just like criticism of Islam) shit will probably happen and the crybabies will get what they want.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-08-23 07:36:36)

Turquoise
O Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

All of a sudden making an article about the IDF that doesn't put them in a good light is "anti-semitism" and revokes memories of the holocaust. Not only is that an insult to everyone involved in the holocaust, it's an insult to all the non-Israeli Jews around the world who have nothing to do with that (for the most part). The Israeli government are digging themselves in a hole here, but because "anti-semitism" is such a sensitive issue, particularly in Europe (kinda just like criticism of Islam) shit will probably happen and the crybabies will get what they want.
Well yeah...  the crybabies nearly always get what they want.  If you're a minority, all you have to do in the long run is bitch loud enough.

We essentially are establishing the right to not be offended.
Zukabazuka
+23|6683
Israeli haven't bothered to check those cases when they appeared, some reports where a kid was shot in the chest and the army took him back and made an autopsy on him with stitches from under the chin to stomach. Apparently they needed to do an autopsy on the man to figure out his death =/ So yeah there seems to be more than one case.

Our prime minister said we wouldn't go against our own laws that we grounded Sweden on, so yeah we are gonna have a easy time on this one.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard