some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6394

Kmarion wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Only 480x272?  Ah well.  I don't see any point hooking it up to an external monitor - it ceases to be portable.
no.. it is downsized for obvious reasons when played on the device. It does however play 720p when connected with an hdmi. It supports h.264 encoding which is fantastic.
I know it's downsized.  I never said otherwise.  Only that the screen was 480x272.
Why bother carrying HD videos in one of those though?  A portable media player is meant to play media in a portable fashion.  I was saying that if you were to harness the full power of the player, you'd need a TV.  Instead, I'd prefer a better screen with which to watch movies portably, and if need be, just keep the DVD/CD at home for use where my TV is.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2009-08-22 23:41:54)

OmniDeath
~
+726|6647

some_random_panda wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Only 480x272?  Ah well.  I don't see any point hooking it up to an external monitor - it ceases to be portable.
no.. it is downsized for obvious reasons when played on the device. It does however play 720p when connected with an hdmi. It supports h.264 encoding which is fantastic.
I know it's downsized.  I never said otherwise.  Only that the screen was 480x272.
Why bother carrying HD videos in one of those though?  A portable media player is meant to play media in a portable fashion.  I was saying that if you were to harness the full power of the player, you'd need a TV.  Instead, I'd prefer a better screen with which to watch movies portably, and if need be, just keep the DVD/CD at home for use where my TV is.
It would be easier to carry this over to a friends to watch movies using it with their tv than to do the same thing with a laptop. It's about convenience. Half the reason I bought my iPod was to use it to store my portfolio with the intent of hooking it up to larger screens for viewing.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

some_random_panda wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Well when you said "only" I thought you were misinformed. Playing 1280x720 on a 3.3 inch screen is just stupid.

I can think of several practical reasons. It's not like my parents are going to hop on the net and download hd movies.. yet when I visit I can just bring my zune hd over and play it on their tv for fun family night. The same theory applies when I travel out of town. Burning movies to BD is expensive.. and this certainly beats toting around a Bluray player..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

OmniDeath wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It would be easier to carry this over to a friends to watch movies using it with their tv than to do the same thing with a laptop. It's about convenience. Half the reason I bought my iPod was to use it to store my portfolio with the intent of hooking it up to larger screens for viewing.
haha.. this
Xbone Stormsurgezz
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6394

Hmm.  I guess I don't watch enough tv for this to seem a big feature for me.  Fair enough.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6117|SC | USA |

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

These are powered by nvidia tegra procs if anyone's interested.
We know, that's what the OP said...
Lol. My bad, I should start going to bed at 4:00AM rather than read threads.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5908|CA
Hopefully this doesn't flop like the rest of the Zune lineup has.  I have an 8GB Zune, but for some absurd reason my computer (and several other computers I've tried, including a Mac) can't see it/register it when I plug it in.  I've tried almost everything, no luck.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6742|Toronto | Canada

Kmarion wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Does it support mkv though? I saw in the video it was wmvhd
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6656

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Isn't mkv just a container, h.264 being the codec the Zune actually needs to support?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Lucien wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Isn't mkv just a container, h.264 being the codec the Zune actually needs to support?
Yes it is, the reason I asked is because 99.9% of HD movies on the internet are in mkv format
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6663|The darkside of Denver

TopHat01 wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't flop like the rest of the Zune lineup has.  I have an 8GB Zune, but for some absurd reason my computer (and several other computers I've tried, including a Mac) can't see it/register it when I plug it in.  I've tried almost everything, no luck.
Ummmm, it has a one year warranty.. MS replaced my original Zune when the headphone jack went out.  Call up MS.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Lucien wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yes it is, the reason I asked is because 99.9% of HD movies on the internet are in mkv format
Not true.. at least not where I'm looking.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
GR34
+215|6548|ALBERTA> CANADA

OmniDeath wrote:

engadget wrote:

Zune HD - 16GB for $219.99, 32GB for $289.99

apple wrote:

iPod Touch - 16GB for $299.00, 32GB for $399.00
For comparison.
defiantly  want
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6178|Sydney | ♥

Kmarion wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Lucien wrote:

Yeah, most are in DivX/Avi....

mkv is a good compression codec however

Last edited by tazz. (2009-08-23 22:08:52)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6599|Michigan, USA
Of course the HD is set to launch right as Im gonna get the funding to afford one.  Love the HDs interface, and its new features.  Now.  Spend $220 on a 16GB HD or $230 on a 120GB Regular Zune.  Maybe with anyluck the older Zunes will get a price drop or something, horribly unlikely but one can dream.
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Hopefully they will leave it open to third party programs so you can use other browsers too.
I'm sure it will be 1000% easier to develop for
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

tazz. wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yeah, most are in DivX/Avi....
For HD?

Never seen a movie in HD using Divx/Avi. Sounds like a terrible idea tbh

Every single movie I have in HD is x264 mkv.  Are you guys thinking SD?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Video Support: Windows Media Video (WMV) (.wmv) – Main and Simple Profile, CBR or VBR, up to 3.0 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD WMV files at device sync.
MPEG-4 (MP4/M4V) (.mp4) Part 2 video3– Simple Profile up to 2.5 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD MPEG-4 files at device sync.
H.264 video – Baseline Profile up to 2.5 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD H.264 files at device sync.
DVR-MS[4] – Zune software will transcode at time of sync

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

So only wmv, useless to me since I'm not going to convert my movies just for this. Oh well, I wouldnt use it for playing stuff on my tv anyways if I had one.

Also, Divx/Avi + HD?
y bother having hd on a screen so small?

the iphone is a better deal and awsumr
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

It can play HD on your tv, not on the little screen, that would be pointless.

The iphone is not a better deal in any way whatsoever because I dont want to pay $100 per month. Plus have to use itunes
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

hmdi out to tv.. portable hd movies. This is not a phone, you won't need to sign a contract with ATT to purchase this.

Winston, MP4 .. which is transcoded by the zune when you sync it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
portable... so if only my external hardrive had an hdmi out
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

portable... so if only my external hardrive had an hdmi out
My lappy does now, but not looking to carry that everywhere I go.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Where would you go that you need to bring HD movies around with you? I bring my laptop to the tvs around the house with its HDMI

Also, not a lot of movies use mp4.  You'd probably have to encode them yourself for a majority of them.  I wouldnt buy it for playing movies anyways, it looks like a great step up from my ipod touch

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard