• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Would I get away with it? running cpu without thermal paste for 5min
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6182|Canada

Alright so my friend gave me his old motherboard/cpu telling me that it doesn't work. He didn't tell me what was wrong, just told me that the motherboard wasn't good. He knows almost nothing about computers so I'm hoping he's wrong.

He took the cpu fan off which I still have. Now I know that I'm supposed to apply thermal paste on it but I don't have any on hand and don't want to buy some if the motherboard/cpu isn't good.

Since I just want to try it, would it be ok to either A) leave the fan off, and blasting cool air on it with a house fan? or B) apply the cpu fan back on it, knowing that the paste is almost non-existent and kinda dry or C) put the fan back on with the house fan blowing on it? or D) don't touch it for now until I get paste.

It's a Celeron D 2.8ghz with some ECS board.

Keep in mind it's only to try it to see if it will boot into bios/windows. Probably will run about MAX 5min.

I'm thinking that running it 5min with fan blowing on it shouldn't make the cpu die, but I want to be sure before I do anything.

What do you guys think? Is there a big change that it will die on me?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Thermal paste is like $2. A motherboard or cpu costs much more. Don't be lazy, play it safe.
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

mtb0minime wrote:

Thermal paste is like $2. A motherboard or cpu costs much more. Don't be lazy, play it safe.
this

... and even if it technically appears to work, there could be some immediately unforeseeable damage.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-08-15 15:17:58)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone

mtb0minime wrote:

A condom is like $2. Child support costs much more. Don't be lazy, play it safe.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6182|Canada

That's what I was thinking. thanks.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6646
There used to be a guy around here who was always going on about how a perfectly fitted heatsink would be better off without cooling paste

But I still don't think you should try
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone

Lucien wrote:

There used to be a guy around here who was always going on about how a perfectly fitted heatsink would be better off without cooling paste

perfect fit doesn't mean anything if there are dozen scratches underneath heatsink's base
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6685|England
I've run a CPU without thermal paste before, was an old 4400x2. Of course it's not advisable to run a CPU without thermal paste but if it's only to try get into the BIOS it aint gonna do that much harm, and if it does reach unsafe temperatures the PC will automatically shut down. Tried a 3500+ without a heatsink before and just an 80mm fan blowing on it, got into the BIOS and went to the temp monitor, temps rocketed to 90°C and the PC shut down.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6456|cuntshitlake

A c2d works wine without a heatsink at all. Been there done that. I wouldn't recommend though, better just play it safe
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

If it's got a heatspreader, it's fine to run it without paste as long as you don't put it under load. Booting into Windows and taking a look won't do any harm, as long as you don't start scanning for viruses or load-testing it. All Intel processors since the Pentium 3 also have quite good overheating protection, which will throttle it down at first if it gets too hot, and if it gets critical, it shuts the computer down.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6345|uk

My AMD 3500 only has some hardly-existent, and very dry thermal paste.

It's worked for the past 3 years.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

.Sup wrote:

Lucien wrote:

perfect fit doesn't mean anything if there are dozen scratches underneath heatsink's base
And it's not exactly 100% flat as well... that's the main problem.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black
Pentium Ds run mega hot. Don't risk it.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6190|Winland

Finray wrote:

Celeron D =/= Pentium D.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Finray wrote:

Celeron D =/= Pentium D.
O.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6182|Canada

How long does an open tube of thermal paste last for usually?

@Freezer, do you mean the plate on the cpu? (i know this is a gpu, but same thing)
https://resources.vr-zone.com/yantronic/ihs/bam.jpg
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6190|Winland

Yes.

And a tube of thermal paste will last until you've emptied it.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6182|Canada

One last question, do I still put the fan on it. Not sure if you answered that already or will the heat spreader be enough on its own.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6190|Winland

You put the heatsink on the processor like normal. Including the fan. You still want it to be as cool as possible.
CrazeD
+368|6665|Maine

Phatmatt wrote:

One last question, do I still put the fan on it. Not sure if you answered that already or will the heat spreader be enough on its own.
DO NOT run the PC without the HSF on it.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6182|Canada

I just tried it not too long ago, and it seems to be working no problems. Went into bios and Windows.

Highest temp it went to was 54C was on about 3min.
Will be buying paste this week for it. thanks all.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Would I get away with it? running cpu without thermal paste for 5min

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard