FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
On compassionate grounds;

BBC wrote:

The Libyan man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing is likely to be freed on compassionate grounds next week, the BBC understands.

Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, is serving life for murdering 270 people when Pan Am flight 103 exploded in 1988.

Scottish ministers described the development as "complete speculation".
Admitedly this is 'speculation', but the BBC rarely comments on stuff like this unless there's some truth in it

BBC wrote:

It is believed UK and Libyan officials have held talks this week over Megrahi's appeal against his conviction.

The speed of his transfer is thought to be influenced by consensus among all parties that Megrahi be back on Libyan soil in time for Ramadan next week.

News of his release came after Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill visited Megrahi in prison, amid speculation he might be moved to Libya.

A prisoner transfer request was made by Libya to the UK government last May, less than a week after a treaty allowing prisoners to be transferred between the two countries was ratified.
https://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_01/megrah0607_468x613.jpg

I'm sorry, but fuck your compassionate grounds, you killed 270 people.

Source

Last edited by FatherTed (2009-08-13 05:06:15)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
Not sure that he killed anyone actually.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
Define 'compassionate grounds'...

If he's noticed in public, compassion would probably be to put a bullet in him, the way many will want to deal with him.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
He'd be sent back to Libya. Where he's somewhat of a hero.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not sure that he killed anyone actually.
Yeah I dunno, normally I'd be like "Fuck this guy" but it seems that everything was all abit shady.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co … 06086.html
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
The whole trial was a crock of crap, maybe he did it, maybe not. Its highly uncertain.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

Nevertheless, keen to move on, Libya accepted responsibility for the bombing although it never accepted guilt. Gaddafi paid $2.7bn (£1.8bn) in compensation to the victims' families – $10m for every victim. The final payment was made this year. US lawyers took approximately a third of the final amount.
Lawyers disgust me.
nlsme1
+32|5426

ghettoperson wrote:

Nevertheless, keen to move on, Libya accepted responsibility for the bombing although it never accepted guilt. Gaddafi paid $2.7bn (£1.8bn) in compensation to the victims' families – $10m for every victim. The final payment was made this year. US lawyers took approximately a third of the final amount.
Lawyers disgust me.
Sorry.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6748|Comber, Northern Ireland
it hasn't been confirmed yet, sky news and BBC news have apologized for their remarks this morning, anyway if the cunt did get out that would only be 2 weeks he has served for each person that was killed as a result of it.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5409

Spark wrote:

If he's noticed in public, compassion would probably be to put a bullet in him, the way many will want to deal with him.
You are unreal sometimes you know that?  Dude would have a parade back in Libya.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-08-13 06:19:06)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

BBC wrote:

A prisoner transfer request was made by Libya to the UK government last May, less than a week after a treaty allowing prisoners to be transferred between the two countries was ratified.
If he is expected to die soon and you can get some of your own nationals from the shit hole prisons out of Libya and back home in your own, I might consider it.

But then again not for someone who's killed so many people.

A lesser criminal, yeah. Prisoner swap, good for foreign relations, often the weight of evidence isn't as strongly considered overseas, parole etc.

I don't think he deserves it though.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I mean I don't know how true the article I posted is, but it does provoke some serious doubts into whether this guy really is guilty or not, or whether he's just a scapegoat/fall guy that's been used by both Libyan and Scottish authorities in order to provide quick closure.

Only because of the serious doubts into whether he's guilty or not, I'm not so inclined to just tell them to throw the key away. Lots of people are though, people are happy to just think that something is done and dusted and it takes alot to convice people to go back to something and look at it. In my eyes, this guy is neither innocent nor guilty. I hate miscarraiges of justice, it doesn't help the victims nor does it help the prosecuted.

Some people are happy to accept that this guy was the bomber, and is a terrorist too quickly IMO. The worst thing is then, the real guy could be out there free right now. I dunno, it's all speculation, but still.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-08-13 07:05:26)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

If he is responsible fuckem. He got his dose of compassion when he wasn't executed years ago.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725

ghettoperson wrote:

Lawyers disgust me.
Money always talk.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6454|The Land of Scott Walker
Terminal prostate cancer ... karma tbh
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6636|Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

I hate miscarraiges
Thats what she said.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
Without reading any of that, the man in the photograph looks like an 'oribble cunt.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Red Forman wrote:

Spark wrote:

You are unreal sometimes you know that?  Dude would have a parade back in Libya.
If he ever gets to Libya... I think you missed the point.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

If he is responsible fuckem. He got his dose of compassion when he wasn't executed years ago.
Executed? After being tried in a British court (even if the trial was held at a US airforce base, it was considered Sottish territory for purposes of the trial)? Not likely.

The fact is that the evidence against him was always exceptionally shaky. Had all the facts been available to the jury it is highly unlikely he would ever have been convicted. The Heathrow break in (the baggage area for the plane was broken into the night before the bombing, which many consider a far more plausible place for the bomb to have been placed on the plane than in Malta) revelations cast a lot of doubt over what was a fairly flimsy case to begin with.

Some of the victims families are suing the courts over the prosecution and the alleged cover up.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-08-16 04:58:55)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Executed? After being tried in a British court (even if the trial was held at a US airforce base, it was considered Sottish territory for purposes of the trial)? Not likely.

The fact is that the evidence against him was always exceptionally shaky. Had all the facts been available to the jury it is highly unlikely he would ever have been convicted. The Heathrow break in (the baggage area for the plane was broken into the night before the bombing, which many consider a far more plausible place for the bomb to have been placed on the plane than in Malta) revelations cast a lot of doubt over what was a fairly flimsy case to begin with.

Some of the victims families are suing the courts over the prosecution and the alleged cover up.
He's talking about Libya.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Well he's been released. Personally if he was actually guilty and the trial wasn't such a sham, they would have never done this. The only reason they're doing this is because they know that the trial was dubious. Meanwhile in the USA you have people going crazy as usual. What with our healthcare and now this, there's probably going to be quite alot of hate within the US about this country now. And that hopefully means the bollocks "special relationship" will end and the UK will restore some of its sovereignty.

To be fair though, the majority of the people in the UK have probably been hating on America long before recent events.

The thing that pisses me off is how the Libyan and UK governments just quickly accepted this guy and did it all just to provide closure. It's not closure when you do it in such a shitty way, it just makes things worse for the victims families when they start to hear the details.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/sou … 197370.stm

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-08-20 08:40:18)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6680|UK
Justice has prevailed.  Hooray for the UK.

Shut your pie hole america.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I know capital punishment was never an option based on where he was tried. Still, "If he is responsible fuckem. He got his dose of compassion when he wasn't executed years ago."
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6492|P-way, NJ
He served like 11 days per person he killed on the jet, ridiculous.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6577|Mountains of NC

on his flight home ............... his plane blows up
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard