m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6675|UK

Swan wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

i have evidence, you don't. refute my points or don't bother posting.

this thread is filled with useless posts.
you have no evidence, just opinionated papers made to look scientific. cry moar.
Scientifc American is a highly credible source.  If anything it's you who looks foolish for knocking it.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

Swan wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

does anyone here even know anything about the effectiveness of racial profiling?

scientific american
According to new research, it is no more effective to profile strongly—that is, subject individuals to increased scrutiny in proportion to their presumed likelihood of malfeasance—than it is to randomly flag individuals in the general population when it comes to rooting out terrorism. The reason, says study author William Press, a computer scientist and computational biologist at the University of Texas at Austin: terrorists are vastly outnumbered by innocents, and it's a waste of time and money to screen and rescreen the same benign people.
american economic association
In the profiling context, the Fairness Presumption leads to the conclusion that profiling is not justified since there is no affirmative case to be made in terms of efficiency whereas there is an unambiguous fairness violation, i.e. differential treatment of innocent blacks and whites. The crime minimization benefits are not identified by available data and potential costs exist that cannot be assumed to be small.
the only thing it does is make the ignorant [e.g. anyone who supports racial profiling] feel slightly more secure. effective tool for stopping crime and terrorism, it is not.
the term "science" in the url does not make it science. I'm sure you could find hundreds of pages that support your point of view if you go looking for them.
You're honestly such a douchenozzle. Scientific American is a highly credible magazine, and to quote Wikipedia (how do you like that source?) is "one of the oldest and most prestigious" scientific magazines around. Find a alternatively reputable source that disputes their claim, or STFU.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

m3thod wrote:

what do you do about white muslims? You know the one's from the balkans.

Not all muslims are darkies, in fact most asians think i am white.
I don't do anything with them, why are white Muslims from the Balkins a problem?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

Krappyappy wrote:

does anyone here even know anything about the effectiveness of racial profiling?

scientific american
According to new research, it is no more effective to profile strongly—that is, subject individuals to increased scrutiny in proportion to their presumed likelihood of malfeasance—than it is to randomly flag individuals in the general population when it comes to rooting out terrorism. The reason, says study author William Press, a computer scientist and computational biologist at the University of Texas at Austin: terrorists are vastly outnumbered by innocents, and it's a waste of time and money to screen and rescreen the same benign people.
american economic association
In the profiling context, the Fairness Presumption leads to the conclusion that profiling is not justified since there is no affirmative case to be made in terms of efficiency whereas there is an unambiguous fairness violation, i.e. differential treatment of innocent blacks and whites. The crime minimization benefits are not identified by available data and potential costs exist that cannot be assumed to be small.
the only thing it does is make the ignorant [e.g. anyone who supports racial profiling] feel slightly more secure. effective tool for stopping crime and terrorism, it is not.
from your links,

According to new research, it is no more effective to profile strongly—that is.

So what is "strongy" defined as? By verbage such as this, it would appear that in some measure it might be effective.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

Cybargs wrote:

When VT happened, everyone thought it was a Muslim.
bullshit, enough said
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

m3thod wrote:

Swan wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

i have evidence, you don't. refute my points or don't bother posting.

this thread is filled with useless posts.
you have no evidence, just opinionated papers made to look scientific. cry moar.
Scientifc American is a highly credible source.  If anything it's you who looks foolish for knocking it.
I also hear Harvard professors are above reproach and are highly credible as well.

Last edited by lowing (2009-07-28 11:44:09)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6624|London, England

Swan wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

An emo rich white kid wouldn't be able to take down 30+ people, more like 1 or two, and his dog, and then himself
Really?  Two emo rich white kids did just fine in Colorado in 1999.
pwnt
Depends on your view on what's just fine, two kids getting less than half than that one guy got in VT is crap

Wait, this is a fucked up debate we're having here!

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-07-28 11:42:26)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6775|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

Swan wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

I suppose you believe Phrenology is logical, also?
I don't see how you can even compare the two. You are just throwing about punchy comments without making any point.
Same race = same traits.

Same skull = same traits.

That's how I can compare the two. Both are archaic and totally flawed in the real world.
Culture still has ties to race. I say go ahead and profile, but it still has to be innocent until proven guilty.
m3thod
+2,197|6675|UK

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

I don't do anything with them, why are white Muslims from the Balkins a problem?
They're muslim.
m3thod
+2,197|6675|UK

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Swan wrote:

I also hear Harvard professors are above reproach and are highly credible as well.
only you would try to compare a magazine with the case of a jobsworth cop vs an irate prof.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

Go ahead and profile, don't get pissy when they choose to play the part.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina
I agree with profiling when it works.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

They're muslim.
so?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

only you would try to compare a magazine with the case of a jobsworth cop vs an irate prof.
get back with me when science and science data of such things like global warming and race and cultures are NOT political issues with specifica agendas.
imortal
+240|6668|Austin, TX
It really depends what you are looking for and the area you are in.  If you are looking for suicide bombers, they have a pretty solid profile.  If you are looking for a bomber, you don't need to stop the little old lady with the cane or the overloaded mother with the screaming (and obviously real) baby.  There are, of course, exceptions, but if you focus your efforts on the profile that 99% of suicide bombers look like, you will be more likely to stop them.

Now, if you are looking for drug dealers, it gets a bit harder.  Depending on the area in question, the big problem may be drug mules crossing the border, drug runners driving through your area on the interstate to a major city, the guys on the street with the drugs, or the folks growing it in their closet or field.  You could be dealing with marijuanna, cocaine, or meth (for a start).  What area of the nation you are in, what drugs you are looking for, and what the standard mode of operation is in the area will determine what you are looking for.  The racial makeup of the local gangs (or full-out mafia) will help.

Profiling is simply examining what the crimes have in common, and then being on the lookout for people, places, or events that match the pattern.

Racial profiling is just one part of that.  If you are looking for a serial killer, you are most likely looking for a white male in his 30s.  Stopping the random black man and checking to see if he has a prostitute's head in his trunk is not going to help much in that circumstance.
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

another thread, brought to you by ...

https://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3057/facepalmxhy.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6109|eXtreme to the maX

imortal wrote:

Stopping the random black man and checking to see if he has a prostitute's head in his trunk is not going to help much in that circumstance.
Stopping random white men in the hope you might catch a serial killer in the act is practically pointless too.

Scientific American wrote:

terrorists are vastly outnumbered by innocents, and it's a waste of time and money to screen and rescreen the same benign people.
Profiling based on race is essentially pointless, unless you're prepared for the cost of alienating millions of people in return for the improbable benefit of possibly catching one terrorist.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

imortal wrote:

Stopping the random black man and checking to see if he has a prostitute's head in his trunk is not going to help much in that circumstance.
Stopping random white men in the hope you might catch a serial killer in the act is practically pointless too.

Scientific American wrote:

terrorists are vastly outnumbered by innocents, and it's a waste of time and money to screen and rescreen the same benign people.
Profiling based on race is essentially pointless, unless you're prepared for the cost of alienating millions of people in return for the improbable benefit of possibly catching one terrorist.
Nobody stops a random black man to see if he has a prostitutes head in his trunk.

but you are nuts if you think cops in LA ( or anywhere) dealing with gang violence should not watch for people that fit that gangs description.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

but you are nuts if you think cops in LA ( or anywhere) dealing with gang violence should not watch for people that fit that gangs description.
Which isn't racial profiling either.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6156|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Exactly.

That's a gang profile they are watching.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Hate to break it to ya, but RACE is part of a description, so if you don't think it is profiling,  and since NO one is stopping BLACK men for just being black, then you really have no argument.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Aussiereaper wrote:

Exactly.
Precisely, of which race is one of many factors.

lowing wrote:

since NO one is stopping BLACK men for just being black, then you really have no argument.
But people have been stopping those of middle eastern appearance just because they are of middle eastern appearance.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Aussiereaper wrote:

Exactly.
Precisely, of which race is one of many factors.

lowing wrote:

since NO one is stopping BLACK men for just being black, then you really have no argument.
But people have been stopping those of middle eastern appearance just because they are of middle eastern appearance.
Nope, they have been screened closer at airports, nothing more get over it.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5998|Truthistan
Its one thing to say look out there is a suspect and race is given as a part of that description, that's just common sense. This isn't racial profiling.

Its completely different to say terrorists are middle eastern and therefore we must screen all middle eastern people more closely. or cops pulling over low riders or blacks in Cadillacs etc etc... that's racial profiling and its wrong to permit cops to make assumptions from visual inspections from afar.... "hey that's a black guy, I bet he's got pot or crack or something" or "this is a "white" neighborhood what's this black guy doing here. That type of racial profiling is never good enough to justify stopping a person. You need more, perhaps gang activity, terrorist activity or like "gasp" actual criminal activity. 

Its obvious that the US has a racism problem. Its obvious that racist attitudes are engrained. Its good that the old generation with their backward racist views and anti-American attitudes are dieing off. But when people post things about minorities getting upset about cops stopping them, like the Harvard professor case, and say crap like well they just should have cooperated and said nothing to the cop... well if nothing is said then nothing is going to change until.... The people need to speak up.

People questioning cops when they are stopped due to racial profiling is the same as Rosa Parks refusing to give her seat up on the bus. In the eyes of some people these agitators are considered criminals.... I'd call these agitators true Americans.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6655|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Its one thing to say look out there is a suspect and race is given as a part of that description, that's just common sense. This isn't racial profiling.

Its completely different to say terrorists are middle eastern and therefore we must screen all middle eastern people more closely. or cops pulling over low riders or blacks in Cadillacs etc etc... that's racial profiling and its wrong to permit cops to make assumptions from visual inspections from afar.... "hey that's a black guy, I bet he's got pot or crack or something" or "this is a "white" neighborhood what's this black guy doing here. That type of racial profiling is never good enough to justify stopping a person. You need more, perhaps gang activity, terrorist activity or like "gasp" actual criminal activity. 

Its obvious that the US has a racism problem. Its obvious that racist attitudes are engrained. Its good that the old generation with their backward racist views and anti-American attitudes are dieing off. But when people post things about minorities getting upset about cops stopping them, like the Harvard professor case, and say crap like well they just should have cooperated and said nothing to the cop... well if nothing is said then nothing is going to change until.... The people need to speak up.

People questioning cops when they are stopped due to racial profiling is the same as Rosa Parks refusing to give her seat up on the bus. In the eyes of some people these agitators are considered criminals.... I'd call these agitators true Americans.
Nothing wrong with looking at people from countries that frequent places you are at war with.

Why can't a cop pull over a low rider, or a black cadillac, are low riders and black cadillacs races all of a sudden?

It is obvious that the US has a racism problem, and people like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Barrack Obama, and Henry Lewis Gates are the tip of the spear regarding it.

Gates is a racist of the gild you disdain. the cop, evidence CLEARLY shows, was right, and committed no acts of racism. Neither did the concerned citizen. Racism was in the heart of Gates and all who AUTOMATICALLY supported him, without contemplating the fact that he could be in the wrong, NOT to even the mention those that STILL refuse to acknowledge he is a racist, but contend the cop is, now that all the facts of the matter are out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard