lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Beduin wrote:

lowing wrote:

wow for someone who is not supposed tobe a racist, you sure are aware of your racial surroundings.

Personally, if I were the cops, I would send a cop to invesigate a crime. Kinda since RACE should not play any part in the approach of a crime or a criminal invesigation. but that is just me.
Am racist?
you tell me,

anyway address the post
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال

lowing wrote:

anyway address the post
what do you mean? am adressing the OP and what you are saying.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

lowing wrote:

Personally, if I were the cops, I would send a cop to invesigate a crime.
So would they.

Except they want one who'll get results.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Beduin
+510|5751|شمال

AussieReaper wrote:

Except they want one who'll get results.
Fast and without problems...hopefully.

Last edited by Beduin (2009-07-25 07:43:12)

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

As I understand it, all it means is that Sikh family's who cannot speak fluent English can ask to get a Sikh officer so that they can be understood correctly. Much like how in the States you'd have Spanish speaking officers talk to Mexicans who don't speak such good English. Makes perfect sense to me. Yes, it's preferable that they did speak fluent English, but they don't and it's too late to do anything about it at that point in time, so why ignore potentially crucial evidence and let the killer get off, because of supposed 'appeased'?

And yes, Sikhs != Muslims, all though the Express is a idiot-level tabloid, so the fact they can't distinguish between the two doesn't really surprise me.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
No I don't think the article was confusing Sikhs and Muslims. All it did was start off by saying Muslims could get their own department or whatever, and then it started talking about how Sikhs have their own department. And then it just started talking about Sikhs

That's why I was like "wat" when he posted it.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Oh, so it was saying that because we've done something for Sikhs, we could do it for Muslims which would be BAD. So it's not stupidity then, it's racism.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
This isn't really something new. In DC we have various liaison units. There's a Latino Liaison Unit, an LGBT Liaison Unit, an Asian Liaison Unit, a Family Liaison Unit, and the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Liaison Unit. They all operate in areas where there are high concentrations of each specific group (save for Deaf and Hard of Hearing); the Latino unit in Adams Morgan (one of three neighborhoods that border each other with high hispanic concentrations), the LGBT Unit in Dupont Circle (neighborhood with high concentration of LGBT), and I think the Asian Liaison is in Chinatown.

They're generally people who either speak the language of their specialty, or understand the culture, etc. Ultimately they're still MPD, it's just that they know how to interact and get information out of people who might otherwise have a hard time speaking English, or speaking to someone who's straight, or speaking to someone who doesn't know ASL.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401
I am still trying to figure out why one particular group would feel so special that they need their own police force.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
How about the Sikhs can apply and become police officers and serve and protect with British laws... 
  I can understand if the Sikhs are used as interpreters to help out...
but they can't be allowed to explain away an honor killing due to religious beliefs...

Would they allow a second set of laws say in Iran that allows British laws to be used?  Not a chance.
Fair is fair and each country should and does have their own set of laws... and if you choose to live there than you abide by their laws.
And if the laws are bad and oppressive to you or your beliefs...move to a place that has the laws you like.
Love is the answer
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD

Red Forman wrote:

I am still trying to figure out why one particular group would feel so special that they need their own police force.
It's not a police force. It's a liaison unit. Like it or not there are lots of immigrants everywhere. Some adopt American culture, others have a harder time or choose not to. That's a debate for another thread. But the point is that a lot of them still speak only their native language, or at least that's the language they're most comfortable with. They may feel more comfortable talking with a bird of the same feather, y'know?

You can argue about the merits and demerits of it all you want but in the end, if having special liaison units helps reduce crime and increase cooperation with police, especially in their specialty areas, then I can't really complain about it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Red Forman wrote:

Your talking about the Sikhs, right?
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401

AussieReaper wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Not really talking about the OP per say.  Just in general.
Beduin
+510|5751|شمال

Red Forman wrote:

The group don't need, it is the police force that needs... meaning you failed to understand the whole point. I can sense lowing failed @ that too. Not much to do about it really... live with it, maybe?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Red Forman wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Generalising is a bad habit.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401

AussieReaper wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Generalising is a bad habit.
Thank you.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401

Beduin wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

The group don't need, it is the police force that needs... meaning you failed to understand the whole point. I can sense lowing failed @ that too. Not much to do about it really... live with it, maybe?
That's why I am asking ffs.  jesus christ you fucking people sometimes.
Beduin
+510|5751|شمال

Red Forman wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

That's why I am asking ffs.  jesus christ you fucking people sometimes.
Read the thread from the beginning? Many posted good points and arguments.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

Beduin wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

I'm not trying to give you shit... but if immigrants assimilate why do they need a separate set of police or rules or laws?
In the US we are people from everywhere in the world(a nation of immigrants) and we have a set of laws... If people started saying that the US laws don't apply to them and that the laws of Venezuela(for instance) apply to them it would be a mess... 
   People have to live by the law of their country  or find a new country that suits them.
Love is the answer
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401

Beduin wrote:

I did.  And I felt like still asking the question.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Red Forman wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Read my post at the top of this page. I explain it very clearly.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5401

ghettoperson wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Sort of.  But, I never saw police departments hire people who could speak Mandarin specifically in LA for example.  So no, it still doesn't make sense.
Beduin
+510|5751|شمال

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

If people started saying that the US laws don't apply to them ... 
   People have to live by the law of their country  or find a new country that suits them.
You are not saying that these groups are not under the law of UK? They will be all in prison if they are not.
I can not see your point.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

Beduin wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

If people started saying that the US laws don't apply to them ... 
You are not saying that these groups are not under the law of UK? They will be all in prison if they are not.
I can not see your point.
So the sikhs are advisory and translators only or will they draft separate laws...?
I don't see any Germans or Italians etc asking for special police in the UK?
And this has a lot to do about religious beliefs no? 
If someone kills a family member because of religious rules or convictions
they are subject to UK law or the Sikh police laws?
Love is the answer
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Red Forman wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Sort of.  But, I never saw police departments hire people who could speak Mandarin specifically in LA for example.  So no, it still doesn't make sense.
I'm quite sure in American cities where they have large Chinese populations they have plenty of Chinese-Americans on the police force.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard