Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

Does anyone here think Bob Marley is overrated as an artist? I can only remember one of his songs off the top of my head and to me, it always seemed like the "stoners" were into him. I, for one, believe that if it wasn't for his chronic pot use he would not be remembered as he is now and that the stoner culture keeps him alive when as an artist he was average. What do you think?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6635|949

I think you are wrong and Bob Marley is Legend.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6688|United States of America
Rasta, mon. He didn't create stoner music, either. Listen to his songs; it's just a lot of other reggae.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

No he isn't. And that's the way it is.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5753|شمال
A bit
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Xbone Stormsurgezz
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6676|A sunburnt country
He doesn't do much for me and I don't like any of his music.  However, the man was a guitar genius and I only recently learned that he played "upside down" because he couldn't afford a left handed guitar so just spun aright handed one around.  This meant his strings were considered the wrong way round.

I hope that makes sense?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6778|Noizyland

Stoner culture? Dude do you know nothing about the Rastafarian movement?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Taste is an impossible debate. His message was top notch and his legacy was earned.

lol.. Ty
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

Ty wrote:

Stoner culture? Dude do you know nothing about the Rastafarian movement?
I do, well of know of them not about them. I'm talking about Americans here, lets be serious maybe one out of a 100 regular American users are into that movement on a serious level.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Thanks for reminding me .. it's time I put some more on my zune.

https://i36.tinypic.com/142ehbo.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6719
Listen to the words... He is a legend...
Love is the answer
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6635|Finland

I find it encouraging that you are wondering about the world like this. Being curious and not afraid to ask questions will bring you knowledge.

Some, not all stoners are into Marleys music, because it oozes pacifism, being laid back, loving your neighbour and embracing life. Then again some, not all stoners listen to Pantera, who were stoners themselves and spokesmen for legalization of cannabis. Bob Marley was a Rastafarian, who along with other religious movements use Cannabis as a spiritual drug. As Marley is the man who made Reggae popular worldwide, he became the posterboy for Reggae, rastafarianism and cannabis, the latter being just a fraction of what the man was about. Will Smith had some good pointers in the vid Kmarion posted.

Taste in music can't be argued, if E.g. Crazy Frog is your thing, then Godspeed. However, the legacy of Bob Marley can't be denied. I never saw the big deal with the Rolling Stones (who IMO have one good track; Paint it Black, and who always start a gig with Start Me Up), but their impact on popular culture was/is huge. And no, I'm not a huge fan of Bob Marley either. I do enjoy it time and again, but in small, bite size portions.

VspyVspy wrote:

However, the man was a guitar genius and I only recently learned that he played "upside down" because he couldn't afford a left handed guitar so just spun aright handed one around.  This meant his strings were considered the wrong way round.
Indeed he was a genius in making music, but I think you are referring to Jimi Hendrix who, being left handed, strung his right handed Strat upside down and flipped it over. The thing was that back in that time there weren't many left handed Strats available.

Bob Marley, right handed with a Gibson Les Paul Special.
https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7507/bobmarleyplayingguitars.jpg

Jimi Hendrix with his upside down Fender Stratocaster.
https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1667/rockroll026jimihendrix.jpg

Hendrix's Flying V was left handed though.
https://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages/jimi%20small.jpg
I need around tree fiddy.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6677|Cardiff, Capital of Wales

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well and truly.

I was into his music and the man himself when I was still in single figures, I didnt even know what that smokey thing hanging out his mouth was.  My Daughter is and has been singing Buffalo Soldier as long as she's been singing Cardiff City songs.

How the fuck can someone be overrated after selling millions of cd's.  After having his face sold on cannabis merchandise so many years after his death.  His name will live on like MJ's and like Elvis's.

He his an inspiration to reggae music even today.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6744|OctoLand
Hell no
I know fucking karate
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6688|West Yorkshire, U.K
Legends die young
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6474
Bob Marley isn't over-rated by the common majority, rather in fact he is under-rated and misunderstood by you, singularly.

Who would you acclaim as a musical legend, worthy of time's remembrance, Macbeth?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6652

Uzique wrote:

Bob Marley isn't over-rated by the common majority, rather in fact he is under-rated and misunderstood by you, singularly.

Who would you acclaim as a musical legend, worthy of time's remembrance, Macbeth?
Bono.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6474

ghettoperson wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Bono.
Does he appear before or after Vanilla Ice in the list?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6635|Finland

Uzique wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Bono.
Before Vanilla Ice, after MC Hammer.
I need around tree fiddy.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6652

Uzique wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Bono.
About the same place I'd say. Although Bono is the biggest cunt known to mankind, and Vanilla Ice is hilarious in an entirely unintentional way, so I'd say Vanilla > Bono.
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

Uzique wrote:

this +1
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6327|Graz, Austria

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yeah, a legend for dying of cancer after refusing amputation of a toe because of his Rastafarian belief.

Fuck Religion!
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6643|Your moms bedroom
I remember for Sophomore cruise we went to the Carribean and all we did was listen to Bob Marley 24/7 for 2 months straight... well that and Sublime of course

Last edited by Locoloki (2009-07-22 05:51:16)

KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6588|England

globefish23 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yeah, a legend for dying of cancer after refusing amputation of a toe because of his Rastafarian belief.

Fuck Religion!
Does it matter what his cause of death was?  He made fantastic music which actually said something.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard